My Problem with DH's are the TRAPS.....

in Guardian

Posted by: Knighthonor.4061

Knighthonor.4061

I dont care about the name. DragonKnight would been better but I give it a pass. My problem is TRAPS…..

We could have got more Spirits or something from Rangers, but no we get TRAPS,,, very unGuardian-like…..

Man imagine if we could summon Ghostly Knight Spirits that follow us into battle and protects us? That could have been so much cooler.

We could have got a:

*Wizard Ghost- that deals ranged damage and CC.

*Knight Ghost – that deals melee damage and provides reflection fields, taunts, and protection to allies.

*Monk Ghost – that deals ranged damage, but is converted into healing to nearby party members, and provides cleansing and Boons. (this could been our Heal skill)

with a cool Elite skill that mixes with the spiritual concept.

in Guardian

Posted by: Exciton.8942

Exciton.8942

Well, the devs want you to be a hunter not a knight. Hunter uses traps, fair enough?

in Guardian

Posted by: Vikkela.7261

Vikkela.7261

Don’t forget to PvP with your Ranger so you can get your ‘Champion Hunter’ title

9 Guardians later…

in Guardian

Posted by: DiogoSilva.7089

DiogoSilva.7089

Keep in mind that elite specs are meant to feel like a new experience. They’re almost like entire new professions, but within already existing professions.

A guardian might be a holy knight, but for their elite spec, they’ll be a holy hunter instead.

in Guardian

Posted by: lighter.2708

lighter.2708

You don’t need to use traps.
I’m sure you will find at least one useful and use it.

But you are not forced to use any traps skill when going elite specialization.

Btw you already have spirit weapons that do the same thing, elite specialization is supposed to fill the blank in play styles.

in Guardian

Posted by: Morsus.5106

Morsus.5106

Keep in mind that elite specs are meant to feel like a new experience. They’re almost like entire new professions, but within already existing professions.

A guardian might be a holy knight, but for their elite spec, they’ll be a holy hunter instead.

I think you’re overplaying Elite Specs. Elite specs are

• 1 Trait line.
  • 1 Weapon.
  • A rework of profession mechanic skills.

They’re just a new spin on an existing profession, not an entirely new one. 2/3 of all your traits will be old, and unless you pick all of the new abilities and your class gets a 2H weapon, you will be using old skills too. Elite specs are not like entirely new professions.

in Guardian

Posted by: Impact.2780

Impact.2780

Traps are the same mechanic as marks. I bet you wouldn’t mind if it were placing "light marks" which triggered an effect when an enemy or ally entered the area (offensive or supportive effect depending).

They will just be like symbols, only they don’t activate unless triggered by someone entering the area. Isn’t that better?

I agree the name is lame. Both DragonHunter and "Traps." It should be something relating to light-wielding, and "Marks."

EU | Ímpáct / Impact Warlock / Impact Illusions
http://www.twitch.tv/impact2780

in Guardian

Posted by: Obtena.7952

Obtena.7952

I do get the idea that it’s a new experience for the profession and it will be interesting and possibly even GOOD. People need to get past the ‘names’ thing and forget about what they THINK should be.

Frankly, the move away from ‘Guardian’ stuff is nice and interesting. I’ve been playing the ‘Guardian’ stuff for almost 3 years now. Why not get something a little different, especially if it’s an option. I don’t get the gnashed teeth and wailing going on.

(edited by Obtena.7952)

in Guardian

Posted by: Strill.2591

Strill.2591

• 1 Trait line.
  • 1 Weapon.

They’re just a new spin on an existing profession, not an entirely new one. 2/3 of all your traits will be old, and unless you pick all of the new abilities and your class gets a 2H weapon, you will be using old skills too. Elite specs are not like entirely new professions.

No, they’re also new utility, elite, and heal skills.

in Guardian

Posted by: Toxsa.2701

Toxsa.2701

I think you guys overlook a big advantage Guardian gets if they have traps.
Yes, you’re going to see a stealth burst Guardian! Trapper runes synergy!

See how rangers take great advantages from using traps in WvW and wielding LB, now Guardian will be able to do the same thing on their mediation spec!

I bet despite all the QQs, some people are going to exploit this new trap feature in WvW as Guardian and become a fake ranger. (LB, traps, stealth) However I do find Guardian “stealing” too many stuffs from ranger, that even the LB animation is ranger’s LB skills, and new f2 charge is ranger’s GS3 charge.

I’m alreadying betting ranger is going to steal concentration and mediation from Guardian as “druid”, a supposedly supporting type of play-style.

in Guardian

Posted by: Knighthonor.4061

Knighthonor.4061

See how rangers take great advantages from using traps in WvW and wielding LB, now Guardian will be able to do the same thing on their mediation spec!

I bet despite all the QQs, some people are going to exploit this new trap feature in WvW as Guardian and become a fake ranger. (LB, traps, stealth) However I do find Guardian “stealing” too many stuffs from ranger, that even the LB animation is ranger’s LB skills, and new f2 charge is ranger’s GS3 charge.

I’m alreadying betting ranger is going to steal concentration and mediation from Guardian as “druid”, a supposedly supporting type of play-style.

How this helps us when we dont have added damage from stealth unlike Rangers/Thiefs…

https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Superior_Rune_of_the_Trapper

in Guardian

Posted by: Toxsa.2701

Toxsa.2701

How this helps us when we dont have added damage from stealth unlike Rangers/Thiefs…

https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Superior_Rune_of_the_Trapper

Well, we don’t even know what would Guardians’ traps going to do. We also don’t even know it’d be a physical damage type or condition type too. Also ranger usually doesn’t use trap rune set’s condition that much either. Their main dps come from LB too, which is almost full power base. People take this rune set mostly for survival, stealth, and superspeed anyway.

in Guardian

Posted by: phys.7689

phys.7689

• 1 Trait line.
  • 1 Weapon.

but they are supposed to take a profession in a new direction and give some different play elements.

guardian with actual abilities on the virtues will play signifigantly different. Use of traps as well. I dont think its great, but it is different

in Guardian

Posted by: Ragnar the Rock.3174

Ragnar the Rock.3174

Added mobility, great.

More CC, great.

Conditions ? Yes please.

Added effects on virtues ? God yes, tell me more.

Traps ? Why, not like traps are that commonly used by hunters now anyway.

Guardians could have gotten any number of things like

Stances
Physical skills
Banners
Glyphs
Cantrips
Spirits
Mantras
Manipulations
etc…

But guardians got traps…….

in Guardian

Posted by: fluxit.8247

fluxit.8247

I dont care about the name. DragonKnight would been better but I give it a pass. My problem is TRAPS…..

We could have got more Spirits or something from Rangers, but no we get TRAPS,,, very unGuardian-like…..

Man imagine if we could summon Ghostly Knight Spirits that follow us into battle and protects us? That could have been so much cooler.

We could have got a:

*Knight Ghost – that deals melee damage and provides reflection fields, taunts, and protection to allies.

*Monk Ghost – that deals ranged damage, but is converted into healing to nearby party members, and provides cleansing and Boons. (this could been our Heal skill)

You already have skills and utilities that do all of the above. Why not use those.

in Guardian

Posted by: Sungtaro.6493

Sungtaro.6493

Traps are the same mechanic as marks. I bet you wouldn’t mind if it were placing “light marks” which triggered an effect when an enemy or ally entered the area (offensive or supportive effect depending).

They will just be like symbols, only they don’t activate unless triggered by someone entering the area. Isn’t that better?

I agree the name is lame. Both DragonHunter and “Traps.” It should be something relating to light-wielding, and “Marks.”

Depends. The ranger traps are being adjusted to have a timer delay to activate after being placed. So if you place it under an opponent and he moves off the trap before it is primed, it doesn’t activate. If guardian traps are like that, then not as good as marks.

Depending on implementation it may be extremely difficult to use against a skilled opponent.

Never attribute to malice what can be attributed to incompetence.

in Guardian

Posted by: Obtena.7952

Obtena.7952

….

Traps ? Why, not like traps are that commonly used by hunters now anyway.

Guardians could have gotten any number of things like

Stances
Physical skills
Banners
Glyphs
Cantrips
Spirits
Mantras
Manipulations
etc…

But guardians got traps…….

Anf for all we know, ‘traps’ could work like any of those other things you list or vice versa. Hung up on names.

in Guardian

Posted by: Sirbeaumerdier.3740

Sirbeaumerdier.3740

We could have got a:

You already have spirit weapons that follows you around and hardly anyone think they are worth it… Why do you think spirit ghost would be any better? As long as the AI on these thing aren’t better it will still sux.

in Guardian

Posted by: Jerus.4350

Jerus.4350

Well one take on the “holy knight” is more your Van Helsing type right? Taking out the evil things. Wouldn’t traps make good sense. Some Garlic, Salt, Holy Water, Silver, etc, all things used for different types of baddies. It fits IMO.

in Guardian

Posted by: Saiyan.1704

Saiyan.1704

Guess I was right about us getting traps lol…
I can dig it.

@op they wanted us to be a hunter class, hence the name Dragon Hunter.

Mesmer’s got Wells – Chronomancers
Guardian’s got Traps – Dragon Hunters

It make’s sense… even if it doesn’t

aka FalseLights
#5 best gerdien in wurld

in Guardian

Posted by: Electro.4173

Electro.4173

The Dragonhunter traps are perfectly fitting for a Guardian. They aren’t mechanical traps using mechanisms and gadgets like Ranger / Thief. They’re magical traps utilizing magical light to attack enemies. Or to put it another way, they’re basically Symbols with a slightly different functionality. Or similar to Necromancer marks.

People need to stop getting hung up on the name “Trap” and immediately thinking they’re exactly the same as Ranger / Thief style traps. They could have called them Marks and it would have been the same difference, except that by categorizing them as Traps they allow combining them with Rune of the Trapper (and who knows, maybe in the future other Runes affecting traps could be introduced).

in Guardian

Posted by: Strill.2591

Strill.2591

The Dragonhunter traps are perfectly fitting for a Guardian. They aren’t mechanical traps using mechanisms and gadgets like Ranger / Thief. They’re magical traps utilizing magical light to attack enemies. Or to put it another way, they’re basically Symbols with a slightly different functionality. Or similar to Necromancer marks.

People need to stop getting hung up on the name “Trap” and immediately thinking they’re exactly the same as Ranger / Thief style traps. They could have called them Marks and it would have been the same difference, except that by categorizing them as Traps they allow combining them with Rune of the Trapper (and who knows, maybe in the future other Runes affecting traps could be introduced).

I don’t care about the name. I care that Ranger and Thief traps are terrible and never used, and I have no reason to expect that Guardian traps will be any different.

in Guardian

Posted by: Sagat.3285

Sagat.3285

I can guarantee the only reason you don’t see much trap thieves is that Trapper Runes are not in PvP and have to be crafted thief traps don’t function well without it, with additional traits to support them it’s going to be seen even more if they finally let the runes in PvP. They are reworking on ranger traps I doubt it wouldn’t improve,their traps are used quite often at least seen by me the power LB style is just more popular. With guard I expect them to be good,just because it’s not meta doesn’t mean it sucks and again you don’t have to choose traps or dragonhunter.

I play both they just lack proper traited support, trait changes should fix that.

“Revenant is actual proof that devs read the necromancer forum” – Pelopidas.2140
The Dhuumfire thread