Need a Solo Build Ideas Please (PvE only)

in Guardian

Posted by: Avorniel.5708

Avorniel.5708

Am rolling a human guardian and I have been searching for a build that I can solo with and do some events as I go along,but I have drawn up a blank as I am a bit picky with what I would like to use lol.
The main aim for me with this build is to farm mats,karma,coin in Orr and ofcourse through the levels to get there. I have a 80 Mesmer and she is just to fragile when I come up against 2- 4 mobs at once which I seem to find happens a lot in Orr .
I will NOT be doing any dungeons or any form of PVP .
I also don’t want to use a GS as I like to be different and not just follow the one trend I have seen in most builds.

Am happy with using staff or something better suited as a range 2nd choice weapon to swap to and I like the look of using mace+focus/shield ? as these seem to offer good defense when I am attacking mobs.

Gear/Weapon wise I will be making it as I level with her or buy it from the AH so will near enough always either be in Rare (yellow) or Masterwork (Green) quality gear.

So any ideas of what type of build and stats I could go with that offer what I am looking for? so I can DPS and have Survivabilty not worried about a fast pace as that isn’t my play style.

Thanks in advance

Avi

:)

PS
Am not interested in rolling a Warrior and reason why I wont be doing any dungeons or pvp is mainly due to I can’t melee in groups well enough, I just seem to fail when I get into a group lol (just humor me ok in that area ) and I suck at pvp

(edited by Avorniel.5708)

in Guardian

Posted by: Christos de Soufre.3802

Christos de Soufre.3802

GS is less of a trend and more of an extremely efficient farming weapon, especially if you want loot tags during high-pop events.

Chris “Dawnheart” Aerinoh — Revenant, Guardian — Blackgate

in Guardian

Avorniel.5708

GS is less of a trend and more of an extremely efficient farming weapon, especially if you want loot tags during high-pop events.

it prob is but I want to be different and I can use other range weapons to tag mobs ie staff and maybe I have set a challenge for none GS builds that can do what I have asked for

in Guardian

Posted by: Zouron.8754

Zouron.8754

Have a got at 0/15/30/20/5
Since you said you’’’ be farming Orr this build is goos as it makes use of the VoJ coming off CD everytime sometihing dies, you can pop it and give might to everyone in your group or just people who are around you.

With this you can pretty much use any weapon you feel like, i normally go for the staff to tag multiple mobs and couple that with the GS, since you mentioned you don’t want to use GS you can go with hammer as it has some AOE, or you could go with sceptor and focus/torch (torch #5 has decent aoe to tag thing at low range).

With the traits i usually swap them for what i need for the group or the situation. Hope this was helpful to you

in Guardian

Posted by: Manticore Five.9867

Manticore Five.9867

GS has AoE, strikes acceptably quickly, and has a gap closer, all of which are important in farming. This pairs well with staff’s symbol quickness for traveling longer distances than the gap closers allow. Finally, unlike the hammer both weapons benefit greatly from 2h mastery.

What about something like this?

http://gw2skills.net/editor/?fUEQJAWRlYgKCHHyvDgIFRuArHE0gFE7BGzI8vFA;TkAqaM1IqxWjrGZNLCGEs/A

in Guardian

Manticore Five.9867

Ninja’d by your requirement for no GS. In that case, use scepter/torch for offhand. Staff for multiple mobs, scepter 2/torch 4 for single enemy.

in Guardian

Manticore Five.9867

I wish this board had an edit function. I usually think of improvements only after I hit post. Here’s the updated build:

http://gw2skills.net/editor/?fUEQNAW7flYgKCHHyvDgIFRuArHE0g+D7BGzI8vFA;TkAqYMxIixGjLGZMLIGlszA

Torch 4(2nd mode) hits like a truck, and if you get enemies in your face trigger Torch 4/1st mode then Torch 5 before swapping back to staff.

Edit: Aha. Had to add cloudfront to my noscript exception list. Thanks!

(edited by Manticore Five.9867)

in Guardian

Posted by: Uther Deathhand.1570

Uther Deathhand.1570

There is any edit button… bottom right of your post, the pencil.

Work for a cause, not for applause.
Live life to express, not to impress.
Don’t strive to make your presence noticed, just make your absence felt. ~ unknown

(edited by Uther Deathhand.1570)

in Guardian

Posted by: Josh.6213

Josh.6213

i use mace/torch or sometimes focus
i know you dont want GS but its probably by far the Best thing to use for farming good AoE with whirling wrath and symbol of wrath, binding blades can pull mobs/interupt and has a gap closer ,
but if you dont want that i would say hammer or staff i would rather have hammer then staff but thats me

in Guardian

Posted by: varonecl.4265

varonecl.4265

I was interested in your build manticore, but it was a fail on the link, Spec’d out for PVE to acquire Badges and now I am looking for a PVE build to farm and tank.

in Guardian

Avorniel.5708

I wish this board had an edit function. I usually think of improvements only after I hit post. Here’s the updated build:

http://gw2skills.net/editor/?fUEQNAW7flYgKCHHyvDgIFRuArHE0g+D7BGzI8vFA;TkAqYMxIixGjLGZMLIGlszA

Torch 4(2nd mode) hits like a truck, and if you get enemies in your face trigger Torch 4/1st mode then Torch 5 before swapping back to staff.

Edit: Aha. Had to add cloudfront to my noscript exception list. Thanks!

thanks will look into this build

Thanks to all the reply’s so far

I also found this build which looks interesting as well was posted on GW2guru forums

http://en.gw2skills.net/editor/?fUMQNApeWlYgiCXEyKEfIFRuArHE0g+DXw1DK+QGC;TcAquMeJ8y11CihFTCA

you will need to copy and paste the link for it to work

:D

(edited by Avorniel.5708)

in Guardian

Avorniel.5708

I was interested in your build manticore, but it was a fail on the link, Spec’d out for PVE to acquire Badges and now I am looking for a PVE build to farm and tank.

did you try and copy & paste the link?

in Guardian

Posted by: varonecl.4265

varonecl.4265

Thanks Avorniel

in Guardian

Posted by: Tyber Valens.5148

Tyber Valens.5148

I know you said that you wanted something other than the greatsword, but it is a very good weapons for farming Guardian. If you change your mind about the greatsword here is my by build.

Traits : 0/10/30/30/0
Radiance: Signet Mastery
Valor: Meditation Mastery, Retributive Armor, and Altruistic Healing
Honor: Writ of Exaltation, Empowering Might, and Writ of the Merciful
Gear: Full exotic berserker armor with 5 Superior runes of the grove. Exotic berserker great sword with major sigil of bloodlust. Cleric staff with sigil of air. Berserker rings, earrings, and amulet.
Skills: Signet of Reslove, Stand Your Ground, Hold the Line, Smite Condition, and Renewed Focus (elite).
Let me first say that this is a modified version of Silent’s Paladin build so credit where credit is due.
My set up is all about the boons while keeping respectable crit chance and damage. Right now I get 41% crit chance so I can keep around 2 to 3 stacks of might on folks and more in bigger fights. Altruistic Healing + Stand Your Ground + Hold the line in a 6 man group = 24 boons that all give me a healing benefit. Then I still have the staff skill Symbol of Swiftness which damages foes, heals (with the trait), and give me a heal because of the boon it provides. Then Empower which has its own built in heal and the stacks of might in big groups also gives me heals. The greatsword’s default attack ends with might boon so heal and the 4 skill symbol of wrath give me a boon, damages foes, and heals me. All this with our passive regen ability, the two evade rolls that end with a heal, and last but not least the nuke selfheal of signet of resolve.

A note on healing. This build will not out pace the damage you take. You still need to evade and not stand in mob made aoe fire etc. Think of the heals as damage mitigation.

The 5 Superior Runes of the Grove give me a 25% chance on hit to give me protection boon for 4 seconds with a 30 second cool down. Trust me, you will be surprised how often this triggers. Oh and it’s a boon so heal from Altruistic Healing.

Something else to remember is that those symbols can generate critical hits just like weapons. So if you read the battle field right, you can place the symbol from the staff on one fight and join in at another part and drop the symbol from your greatsword. Then spin and watch the might boons start stacking up on your team and healing pour on to you.

The above works better in groups. If your soloing then change out AH for Monks Focus and Empowering might for either Two Handed Weapon Mastery or Symbols Last Longer trait. Change the utility skills to Judges Intervention, Purging Flames and Smite Condition. Keep Renewed Focus. If you like you can take 5 points from Radiance and put that into Virtues for extra boons from virtue activation. If you do this I would change your heal to shelter. If you find that you like this version you could try using Knights Armor instead of Berserker.

Haven’t tried this out in any of the PvP formats but in PvE it’s been a lot of fun.

Templar Valens – Human – Guardian
Server: Maguuma

in Guardian

Posted by: Spyder.7192

Spyder.7192

A lot of people will tell you to go the Altruistic Healing route. Don’t be fooled. In your post you said you want a solo build. AH requires a lot of other nearby players to be effective.

http://gw2skills.net/editor/?fUAQBTEHuNkR4ERuAsHa0jf86BEpYDB

The rest is all personal preference. Just pick a weapon you like that has a symbol and go. I like hammer myself as you have nearly 100% protection running plus the reduce damage signet.