Need Advice for Greatsword Guardian

in Guardian

Posted by: Sarak.7195

Sarak.7195

I know GS has been nerfed a bit but I would like to stick with it..

What is a good build for a recent lvl 80 PVE GS Guardian. I mainly solo, but do some dungeons from time to time.

Also, what is the stat priority for gear? Is it +condition, +power, +precision? Or should vitality be in there?

Any advice would be very helpful.

in Guardian

Sarak.7195

/sigh

I guess no one has any help to share. I couldn’t find anything useful by searching, so I thought I would ask.

in Guardian

Posted by: Morgoth.4573

Morgoth.4573

I use the armor of Melandru temple set (full set with the runes) and the rest of my gear is all Berserkers (greatsword/focus+sceptre and accessories).

Build is here: http://gw2skills.net/editor/?fUAQNAR7dlYgiDnEyMEm4EhNDCawaGx7eYK0YGB

in Guardian

Sarak.7195

Thank you for replying. Looks very interesting. I may try it out.

By using berserkers you are prioritizing power, precision, and crit on your gear. Is this correct? Would something with some vitality be good? or should one focus on being more of a glass cannon?

Anyone else have any advice?

in Guardian

Posted by: Morgoth.4573

Morgoth.4573

With the above build and gear you’ll have almost 15k hp, 2.4k armor, 41% crit and over 3k attack if you gear with full exotics.

in Guardian

Posted by: ArcTheFallen.7682

ArcTheFallen.7682

Didn’t see this post until today, but I am working on a greatsword build as well catered towards crit. The idea behind the greatsword is to take advantage of its skills, especially whirling wrath which gives multiple hits per activation and also has quite a low cd time. In that respect, here are key points to my build:

- I got all pow/prec/crit dmg armor, traits are mostly on valor and honor—Don’t worry about power because you can focus your armor and trinkets on that area
- I focused on valor and honor trait line mostly so you are looking at 0/0/30/20/0 in my advice, you will have 20 leftover to focus on specific utilities. 30 in honor mainly for altruistic healing and 20 in honor to get that amazing 20% skill cd reduction on gs.
- Use “Save yourselves” for fury, the outcome of your pow/prec/crit dmg armor will give you high crit dmg and crit chance, getting that fury to increase your crit chance will maximize the multiple hits of whirling wrath
- Use sigil of strength which gives you might per crit hit at a 30% chance, also useful due to whirling wind

Other thoughts
- I use a sword and shield because of more multi skills it offers and being able to recycle protection with the shield skills (plus valor trait favors shields)
- You can probably use a staff and use the empower weapon skill right before switching to gs and then use save yourselves, that’s 12 might + +20% fury + all other boons it offers + extra might given from sigil of strength

I assume you just want to focus on gs mostly so staff would be a good secondary to buff you up before swapping to gs.

Total overview of my build
[Traits]
0/0/30/20/20
- Altruistic Healing
- 5% toughness to precision
- +90 toughness with shield, 20% shield cd reduction
- 20% shout cd reduction, 20% gs cd reduction
- consecrations last longer and have lower cd
- consecrations have ground targeting

[Rune]
- 6 runes of lyssa (I use to increase my crit chance and get the elite bonus—remove all conditions & get all boons for 5 seconds—)
- Renewed Focus -> Save Yourselves -> GS skills -> good dmg output

[Amor]
All pow/prec/crit dmg including upgrades on trinket

[Stats]
See screenshot, and my crit dmg is 91 which is close to 3x my damage (after a certain point, crit dmg will give you more results than power but you need that high crit chance in which the boon fury becomes very useful!)

Attachments:

[VZ] Sky Avalon – Guardian (Main)
Master of all Professions
sPvP Rank Dragon – 8 Champ Titles – Ruby Division

(edited by ArcTheFallen.7682)

in Guardian

Posted by: ArcTheFallen.7682

ArcTheFallen.7682

Also, numbers you will see is roughly 1k-7500k, on average 2k-4k in “boon” mode (which should be your status more than half of the time before cd ends). I used to do a glass canon build seeing up to 11k dmg but I died so easily and that made it inefficient, if you want I can give you my build for that. Also, if you aren’t like me and want to focus in consecrations, you can probably get more dmg output if you put the 20 in zeal (maybe for that 5% gs dmg?) or radiance for that precision (crit chance baby)

[VZ] Sky Avalon – Guardian (Main)
Master of all Professions
sPvP Rank Dragon – 8 Champ Titles – Ruby Division

in Guardian

Posted by: Jongi.7612

Jongi.7612

Just look up the Ayra greatsword build on youtube. It goes after power precition and toughness for the most part with trying to up the crit damage where you can. You do have to get the forge runes for your gear and dungeon gear would probably be the best for the spec for pve.

The only reason people are saying GS is nerfed is because they cant use their crappy symbol spec anymore which is easily countered unless you have really good team play or you dont have to move at all, otherwise just go with a whirl build with a sword / shield or focus offset and watch and laugh at all the numbers. I only have 1 level 80 exotic and i can get around 3500 whirl and sword #3 crits.

Those numbers are in mostly blues with some greens and a ton of magic find and magic find runes. You want total glass canon then do the above spec that Arc posted but if you want some survivability go with power crit toughness with a 20/0/30/10/10 build. In pvp you can 2v1 if you play correctly and you stomp mostly everyone aside from mesmers and thiefs but i mean really, those are op professions anyways with lawlseeker and moa.