Need an updated view

Need an updated view

in Guardian

Posted by: Enigma.7384

Enigma.7384

So i’m coming back to GW2 after a 2 year break, and I just wanted to get some input on how the Guardian is these days. Has much changed with the Guard or profession balance in general? Is there still a heavy DPS-Meta present in the game? It was something I never got used to when playing a Guardian since I had always played defensively instead of berserk dmg with support. That, and it never seemed to fit the archetypal ideas of the Guardian profession. I’d like to believe that I am returning with a fresh mindset, and ready to adjust if need be since I enjoy the profession so much.

Need an updated view

in Guardian

Posted by: Black Box.9312

Black Box.9312

If you still don’t like DPS builds, you still won’t like this game.

Need an updated view

in Guardian

Posted by: Fashion Mage.3712

Fashion Mage.3712

Things might change in the expansion, although PvP and WvW generally aren’t DPS fests.

Need an updated view

in Guardian

Enigma.7384

Never said I didn’t like DPS builds, just said that it doesnt necessarily feel “right” for classes whose concepts are meant for things other than pure dmg. Like I said, if I have to switch out my old build for a “DPS-centric” one I guess i’ll have to. Just checking in to see how the Guardian is coming along after my couple year absence.

Need an updated view

in Guardian

Posted by: YuiRS.8129

YuiRS.8129

http://metabattle.com/wiki/Build:Guardian_-_Meditation_Hammer

This is the current meta builds for Guards in sPvP. You can use Greatsword and change a few traits/Sigils/runes, but Guard is meant to DPS, lockdown targets and burst while being sustainable and resistant to counter pressure. You still provide support through your virtues, but Medi Guard is quite a selfish build.

Need an updated view

in Guardian

Posted by: Black Box.9312

Black Box.9312

Never said I didn’t like DPS builds, just said that it doesnt necessarily feel “right” for classes whose concepts are meant for things other than pure dmg. Like I said, if I have to switch out my old build for a “DPS-centric” one I guess i’ll have to. Just checking in to see how the Guardian is coming along after my couple year absence.

From a “conceptual” standpoint, any class was meant to be able to fit any role. What makes guardian not fit for a pure damage role?

Need an updated view

in Guardian

Enigma.7384

From a “conceptual” standpoint, any class was meant to be able to fit any role. What makes guardian not fit for a pure damage role?

Mostly based upon how they initially presented the class during their trailers. It was a class that specialized in “protective and defensive” magic, and the special “virtues” that the guardians possessed made them feel as if they were more support damage/defense oriented rather than straight up damage. I understand the Guardian can perform exceptionally well with pure damage as the meta demonstrates that perfectly. I know they toted the whole “Play your way” idea so that every class can perform whatever role they wish, and thats great, but with the meta it just feels as though there are no real “substantial” (I use that term loosely) differences between the classes besides their shared (and often demaded) ability to deal damage.

Anyways i’m not here to start a hate/bash on DPS, because i’m perfectly fine with swapping my build to accommodate that idea, and i’m thankful regardless for those of you who replied.

Need an updated view

in Guardian

Posted by: Krestfallen.8025

Krestfallen.8025

Someone above linked a PvP Hammer build, but I just thought I’d point out that there’s also a PvE Hammer build that’s used in high level fractals. I believe the variations are:

• 5/5/0/4/0
  • 3/5/0/4/2
  • and 5/3/0/4/2

You’ll notice they’re all very similar, and it basically comes down to wether or not you need the Master of Consecrations trait at that particular moment, as well as which of a set of three traits you (as an indicidual) happen to value most: Radiant Power for a reliable 10% damage modifier on all weapons, or Zealous Blade + Symbolic Power for a 5% bonus on your Greatsword and a 10% bonus to your symbols.

This is a build that’s a damage build (even more so if you run Hammer/GS rather than just camping Hammer, but that defeats the purpose just a little) who’s goal is to support the party by providing 100% up time on Protection (so a constant -33% damage).

It should be noted that this build is, again, predominantly designed to help clear trash in high level fractals where the enemies can actually lay on the hurt, as opposed to regular PvE scenarios where players make all enemies (even most bosses) look like laughing stocks.

Anecdotally, I’ve found that I can pretty much get away with using this build in most PuGs, or in groups that rely on Phalanx Strength Warriors rather than Elementalist fire field blast combos.
When you encounter organized groups though, people will get a little sour because unfortunately the Hammer also creates a “permanent” light field, which can frustrate people who are attempting to make use of (much) better field combos (basically Fire + Blast or Water + Blast).

The Hammer Synergizes well with both the Greatsword and the Mace/x; GS because it’s basically our best burst weapon, Mace because mace’s dps is only a bit behind sword and it synergizes extremely well with the same traits you’re taking for your hammer anyway.

(edited by Krestfallen.8025)

Need an updated view

in Guardian

Enigma.7384

Someone above linked a PvP Hammer build, but I just thought I’d point out that there’s also a PvE Hammer build that’s used in high level fractals. I believe the variations are:

• 5/5/0/4/0
  • 3/5/0/4/2
  • and 5/3/0/4/2

You’ll notice they’re all very similar, and it basically comes down to wether or not you need the Master of Consecrations trait at that particular moment, as well as which of a set of three traits you (as an indicidual) happen to value most: Radiant Power for a reliable 10% damage modifier on all weapons, or Zealous Blade + Symbolic Power for a 5% bonus on your Greatsword and a 10% bonus to your symbols.

This is a build that’s a damage build (even more so if you run Hammer/GS rather than just camping Hammer, but that defeats the purpose just a little) who’s goal is to support the party by providing 100% up time on Protection (so a constant -33% damage).

It should be noted that this build is, again, predominantly designed to help clear trash in high level fractals where the enemies can actually lay on the hurt, as opposed to regular PvE scenarios where players make all enemies (even most bosses) look like laughing stocks.

Anecdotally, I’ve found that I can pretty much get away with using this build in most PuGs, or in groups that rely on Phalanx Strength Warriors rather than Elementalist fire field blast combos.
When you encounter organized groups though, people will get a little sour because unfortunately the Hammer also creates a “permanent” light field, which can frustrate people who are attempting to make use of (much) better field combos (basically Fire + Blast or Water + Blast).

The Hammer Synergizes well with both the Greatsword and the Mace/x; GS because it’s basically our best burst weapon, Mace because mace’s dps is only a bit behind sword and it synergizes extremely well with the same traits you’re taking for your hammer anyway.

Thanks for the input and build sir, I will definitely look into it. I will also take a look at the meta wiki that was linked earlier. Thanks all for your input/advice.

Need an updated view

in Guardian

Posted by: laokoko.7403

laokoko.7403

I think the reality is GS/sword/focus meta is very defensive. Just look at all the blind, block you have.

If you are doing hammer, you might as well take the grandmaster traits too. Battle presence is a good group buff. Force of will boost your hp quite huge.

I find force of will particular good, when you actually have problem surviving.

Need an updated view

in Guardian

Posted by: Amins.3710

Amins.3710

2/5/6/x/x

/15 characters……………………………………………

Amins – Guardian
Gameplay Video’s & Forum Post

Need an updated view

in Guardian

Enigma.7384

I think the reality is GS/sword/focus meta is very defensive. Just look at all the blind, block you have.

If you are doing hammer, you might as well take the grandmaster traits too. Battle presence is a good group buff. Force of will boost your hp quite huge.

I find force of will particular good, when you actually have problem surviving.

I actually started to use the sword/focus and GS shortly before I took a break, and I was liking the way it felt so I may go back to it, thanks for your input.