Need help w/ PvE Zerker Sword/Focus build

in Guardian

Posted by: ImagoX.4718

ImagoX.4718

Got this Sword/Focus + Staff all-Zerker guardian build from a guildie last night and I need assistance. His link only had partial assignment of Trait points (40 are still remaining in this version) and I’m wondering where to spend the rest. This so far is traited for burning+blinding and uses utility shouts.

I typically run a Hammer + Scepter/Focus build that’s traited deep into Honor (III, VII, X) for healing shouts/symbols using Cleric’s armor – I like it, but am looking to mix things up a bit. The build linked below uses Staff as the secondary weapon, but if there were a way to use HAMMER as the secondary instead, I’d prefer it – can Zerker run effectively using hammer + sword/focus? Should I not use two close-range sets? I primarily run my Guard in FotM and dungeon runs with my guild. I do *not PvP/WvW typically…

Here’s the in-progress link:

http://gw2skills.net/editor/?vUUQNAsdWl0ApWotCxUIEENRkLw+AArKEPA-zACBYfDZkgAk+AiKAIzsIastBFRjVXDT5iIqWQAjC-e

Thanks in advance for any assistance!

in Guardian

Posted by: Zahl.8564

Zahl.8564

Obals PvE-guide might do the trick. A lot of goodiness in there:
https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/professions/guardian/Guide-DPS-Guardian-for-PVE/first

in Guardian

Posted by: Jerus.4350

Jerus.4350

https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/professions/guardian/Guide-DPS-Guardian-for-PVE/first

Could type stuff out, or I could just point you to that.

Staff however, esp in a zerk build, is a utility weapon. It’s not something i’d leave in there, just swap in when needed, when that situation is over, swap back.

Overall Hammer and Sword are auto attack weapons. The idea is mainly taht you use up your higher damage GS skills, then swap to one of those for their superior auto attack. Personally I think hammer is a little slow and it’s biggest benefit being protection is nice, but with swapping back and forth it’s just not something I feel I can rely on, so I prefer the S/F when I go zerk as I get extra blinds and personal blocks as well as faster attacks.

But, yeah I’m with you, typically running a more support oriented guard, it works well with my guild, but when I PUG I go zerk, and I do prefer the S/F route with GS being the primary though and S/F being the swap after I run the GS rotation. And all the info is in more detail in the initial link and where I learned most of what I’m saying =).

in Guardian

Posted by: ImagoX.4718

ImagoX.4718

Thanks – I’ll check those out. Not sure why I forgot about GS – once I switched to hammer I never looked back.

in Guardian

Posted by: Jerus.4350

Jerus.4350

Thanks – I’ll check those out. Not sure why I forgot about GS – once I switched to hammer I never looked back.

Love my hammer, but it’s slow when rotating and having inconsistent protection coverage. So I’ll stick to that with my support setup and the GS for damage, and the pull and leap are actually great utility on the GS.