New Guy In Need of Advice

in Guardian

Posted by: Board.9176

Board.9176

I recently started playing guild wars 2…
And after some research I found either guardian or necro would fit my playstyle.
(Tanky / High hp & survivability / still some magic to them)

Played necro to lvl 25 and i kinda got tired of it, not because the class is boring but i got tired of looking on a sylvari.
So i wanted to try something new and made a human guardian.

Now I have a few questions…
1) Which weapons are best to use?
2) What traits should i focus on?
3) Where do i get new gear? I noticed you can get some from the main quest, but are there other ways/places to get new or better gear?

Thanks for any help you can give me!

Edit:
I’m a low level… no need to tell me about lvl 80 gear or such.
I’m more than happy with the nooby advice

(edited by Board.9176)

in Guardian

Posted by: Musashi.3125

Musashi.3125

in Guardian

Posted by: Brutaly.6257

Brutaly.6257

Is that a serious advice?

@OP

1. All weapons has their purpose
Hammer/GS/Staff for AOE
Scepter/1h sword for single target
Mace/Hammer/staff for support
Staff for pve mobility in combination with shouts and boon duration
Focus for dps and defense
Shield for defens
Torch for support and burst and fun gameplay.

There is no single best weapon:
1. Choose what you like.
2. Choose what you need.

1. 5 points in honor (best trait we have for personal survivability)
2. 5 points in virtues, (best minor trait we have for support)
3. 25 points in radiance to increase damage thru more crits and ofc 10% extra damage on conditioned foes
4. Now you are at a junction and you basically can go into x directions.
4.1 Fill up honor for larger symbols and longer lasting symbols and maybe pure of voice (hammer and other symbol weapons)
4.2 Go 25 points deep into virtues for more support and ofc and more damage on each boon you and ofc boon duration which facilitates you moving around in open world, imo the best open world dps enhancer is to be able to move fast between fights.
4.3 10 points into zeal to get 10% more damage on burning foes, this will dictate what utilities to us and you need fast hitting weapons like GS/1h sword and scepter to keep the burning on the foe.
4.4 If you are into 1h weapons fill up radiance with 30 points and pick 15% more crits on 1h weapons and place 10 in total in zeal.
4.5 25-30 points in radiance (1h or 2h), 30 points in valor for fury and heals on meditations and 10 points in zeal for 10% more damage on burning foes.

Basic builds:
10/25/5/5/25
10/30/0/5/25
10/25/30/5/0
10/30/30/0/0
0/30/30/5/5
10/25/10/20/5
10/25/0/25/5
10/25/0/10/25

Each weapon has an optimal build dps wise but i wouldnt build after that, i would build based on what i like to do and gamestyle. Atm i play a really worthless burning build (conditions suck on guardian) because i like it.

For instance 20 points into zeal makes gs very nice indeed with more damage and heals on the gs. Start playing and after you have found your pace come back here and tell us how you like it and we can optimize a build for you and what you find is fun.

Gear you get in open world from drops. Focus on getting power and crit on your gear. go to the trader every 5th level and upgrade with blue gear so you are no more than 10 levels from your cap. Thats enough and its cheap. Join in on champion fights when you can, they drop nice gear.

When you get to level 75 you start thinking about gear, before that the above is enough.

(edited by Brutaly.6257)