New Halloween patch - class balancing - guard

in Guardian

Posted by: quaniesan.8497

quaniesan.8497

Believe or not, guards are getting some new fixes worth mentioning. And by “some”, I mean “two”. But be happy, that’s alot for “super balanced guardian”.

Bane signet – KD 2s —> 3s
Retreat -- CD 60s —> 40s (Source: http://dulfy.net/2014/10/17/gw2-ready-up-pvp-changes-and-class-balance-notes/)

clap clap

I don’t really care about bane signet. Dont’ use it alot unless need some dps buff.
But the retreat CD reduction, aside from abit more frequent aegis (yay), the shorter downtime in Swiftness can free those of us that are relying on speed rune sets for mobility to other alternatives. In general, something to look forward to.

If ya no longer see me after this post,
it means THEY got me for " neg criticism in clever disguise".
Know that it has been fun and I love ya all.

(edited by quaniesan.8497)

in Guardian

Posted by: Julie Yann.5379

Julie Yann.5379

I am looking forward to the new retreat. Now I can get rid of the speed runes on my roaming build and replace them with something more useful.

Be careful what you wish for, Anet might just give it to you “HoT”
“…let us eat and drink, for tomorrow we shall die;.”

in Guardian

Posted by: AGGabriel.9230

AGGabriel.9230

Applause first for the warr and engy they will get there shield skills the same but we will put or in the warehouse and just dream for it till the game dies of using it in pvp(no colld reduction for it no modifications to 4-5)
Bane signet-will you use it at that cooldown for that low effect (im not)
Mace warrior get some nice juice up Us non (il se you dealing with that 10 stacks of vulne and the +10 from shout ( On My Mark!)
Retreat-some good news pve wvw (pvp perspective i don’t know, U?)

in Guardian

Posted by: Ynna.8769

Ynna.8769

The Bane Signet change is nice, but I can’t see it this increasing the number of people using Signets. (I still wonder how many people actually use Signet builds. I have this weird idea that a lot of players use them, but they’re not the sort of player that hangs around on forums.)

Retreat! is a good change. It helps the Guardian with their open-world mobility, which is great for PvE and WvW. It also brings Retreat! in-line with the power-level of the other Shouts. It wasn’t quite good enough to justify the long cooldown.

In PvP it doesn’t become more useful than any of the other Shouts.

“Come on, hit me!”

in Guardian

Posted by: ArchonWing.9480

ArchonWing.9480

Retreat is really good for pve with that cooldown. In WvW, it helps the guardian outside of a zerg so another good change.

If you spammed symbol of swiftness/retreat off cooldown and only got the first tick of symbol, you would have 28 seconds of swiftness on a 32 second cooldown (assuming traited shouts.) Not too awful.

For once you have tasted flight you will walk the earth with your eyes turned skywards,
for there you have been and there you will long to return.

(edited by ArchonWing.9480)

in Guardian

Ynna.8769

You can use Save Yourselves! for even more Swiftness. Too bad I just finished exploring the world, a higher Swiftness upkeep would have done great things.

“Come on, hit me!”

in Guardian

Posted by: Siva Mira.3546

Siva Mira.3546

I am using Signet build, it is hard fight in more than 2v2 due to the lack of only one stunbreak.

IMO, keep the knockdown to 2sec but make it Stunbreak like Nec’s Well of Power.

All is vain.

in Guardian

Posted by: Obtena.7952

Obtena.7952

Improvements to non-medi builds … there might be hope yet.

in Guardian

Posted by: Harbinger.8637

Harbinger.8637

The buff to Bane wasn’t needed and won’t change anything really. The Retreat buff is quite nice though, and you’ll see it more often now.

Guardian WvW Guide!
Heavens Rage

in Guardian

Posted by: Blasino.3128

Blasino.3128

New Retreat + Superior Aria + Pure of Voice + Pure of Heart is pretty dang nice…

32 secs cool down, group condi removal, group aegis, group healing

Uturunku Yana, Guardian / Chullachaqui Yana, Engie
Group Stability is a hell of a Drug – Rick James
vT

in Guardian

Posted by: Pregnantman.8259

Pregnantman.8259

Now to change the skill’s name into something less cowardly. Who gets inspired to fight when you have a companion screaming at you to retreat every half minute or so anyway?

in Guardian

Posted by: Fashion Mage.3712

Fashion Mage.3712

“Evade!” would probably be more appropriate considering what the skill does.

in Guardian

Ynna.8769

I am using Signet build, it is hard fight in more than 2v2 due to the lack of only one stunbreak.

IMO, keep the knockdown to 2sec but make it Stunbreak like Nec’s Well of Power.

I’m actually pretty interested in this. Would you mind sharing your build? (Maybe in another thread?)

Changing the name of Retreat! has been discussed since Beta. it’s funny how cyclical this forum is :-)

“Come on, hit me!”

in Guardian

Posted by: Ragnar the Rock.3174

Ragnar the Rock.3174

Eh even with the knock down increase I doubt bane signet will be worth using as anything other then a power boost.

The cool down is just too long on the skill.

They would have been much better off lowering the CD or making it a conal knock down similar to warrior mace off hand.

Where the change to retreat is concerned, the extra swiftness up time will be nice.
Personally I would have liked to see them make the CD 30 seconds with a base effect duration of 15 seconds.

in Guardian

Posted by: Kraljevo.2801

Kraljevo.2801

Considering that Bull’s charge is 600 range and only 2 second knockdown on the same cooldown (often fails!), the signet is much better. 1200 range, <1s cast.

in Guardian

Posted by: Ghotistyx.6942

Ghotistyx.6942

Retreat’s name is fine. You’re either yelling at your allies to retreat when you’re using it to run away, or you’re telling the enemy to retreat when you’re using it offensively.

I also don’t think Bane Sig was meant to promote signet builds (otherwise, they’d touch signets as a whole). Rather, Whomever wanted Bane for some extra CC in their build, now has a nicer knockdown.

Fishsticks

in Guardian

Posted by: Lucentfir.7430

Lucentfir.7430

Considering that Bull’s charge is 600 range and only 2 second knockdown on the same cooldown (often fails!), the signet is much better. 1200 range, <1s cast.

The only difference between the two is that bull charge gap closes, and Bane Signet ina ranged knockdown.

Reth Grimrazor – Charr Guardian – [GWB]Grim Warband – Tarnished Coast
Redgen Furyblaze – Charr Guardian – [SHD]Shade Warband – Tarnished Coast
Lerious Warhowl – Charr Warrior – [SHD] Shade Warband – Tarnished Coast

in Guardian

Posted by: Kraljevo.2801

Kraljevo.2801

It may close the gap, but its buggy as kitten, where as bane signet is reliable. (If you time it right)

in Guardian

Posted by: Mikau.6920

Mikau.6920

Before the patch:

• Bane Signet is useless.

After patch:

• Bane Signet is useless.

What they need to do is lower the Cooldown. If I wanna a stun I’ll take spirit hammer instead.

Sorry for my english.

in Guardian

Posted by: Shanks.2907

Shanks.2907

The cooldown to retreat will be welcomed in PvE. I’m worried though that anet sees this as a solution to the guardian’s lack of mobility. I’m having trouble thinking of any way to work retreat into an effective dps build. We need access to some sort of swiftness/25% movement speed through traits for more build diversity.

It doesn’t make sense to me that our movement speed (retreat/staff#3) are tied to more defensive builds when sticking to your target is more important on a dps build.

in Guardian

Ghotistyx.6942

How would a +25% trait or util create more build diversity? You’d be required to take the trait or util just as much as you’re required to take speed or traveler’s runes. It doesn’t change anything beyond what specifically you’re sacrificing.

Fishsticks

(edited by Ghotistyx.6942)

in Guardian

Posted by: xDudisx.5914

xDudisx.5914

The cd reduction on retreat is awesome. Improves zerker guards in dungeons.

Ouroboro Knight’s [OK]

in Guardian

Shanks.2907

How would a +25% trait or util create more build diversity? You’d be required to take the trait or util just as much as you’re required to take speed or traveler’s runes. It doesn’t change anything beyond what specifically you’re sacrificing.

Eh?

By having the option to pick it up in traits, it allows you to focus on other areas. Instead of being pigeonholed into traveler or pack runes, you could pick up strength runes for a might stacking build. It’s not the fact that you would be required to pick up the movement speed trait, but that you don’t have to build around it. More options are better, and the guardian is the one class without any combat mobility traits. Each one has some form of swiftness or movement speed through traits.

And if placed well, like an adept radiance trait, it would have good synergy with dps builds.

in Guardian

Posted by: Pregnantman.8259

Pregnantman.8259

You cant shout at your enemies to retreat, as retreating – by definition – is tactically moving behind the line for regrouping or defense. You wouldn’t offer something tactical to foes but instead shout for them to cower or flee. My suggestions for “Retreat!” are “With Me!” or “Charge!” and while on the issue, “Save Yourselves!” could be “Never Surrender!”, “To Glory!” or “Rise Up!”.

in Guardian

Ghotistyx.6942

Each class has strengths and weaknesses. Guardian and Mesmer are balanced around not having these traits and utilities (likewise, Guardian is balanced around not having damaging conditions other than Burning). Anet has decided that for the moment, Runes and sigils can shore up some of the weaknesses that classes would otherwise have (like Conditions, or +25% movement runes). +25% movement would be an important trait for Guardians to have, so the most likely place is somewhere that would require a large tradeoff, not somewhere where its an obvious choice.

Basically, if you feel forced to take a +25% speed rune, you’ll feel just as forced to take a trait or utility that provides the same benefit. If you don’t feel such a need, you probably do fine without them or the runes.

Also, like Mesmers, Guardians aren’t lacking in combat mobility. After the Retreat change (and with Superior Aria), without any boon duration, you’re looking at 20s of Swiftness on a 32s cooldown. That’s an uptime of 62.5%, which basically equates to a 20% movement increase throughout those 32s of cooldown. Retreat alone practically provides that movement increase, plus any benefits you might get from Shouts or Aegis.

Fishsticks

in Guardian

Posted by: Aeolus.3615

Aeolus.3615

Guardian speed boon and staff fury bots, keep momentum now is like free beer, there are other aspects of guardian that need to be fixed.

More karma train buff….

1st April joke, when gw2 receives a “balance” update.

(edited by Aeolus.3615)

in Guardian

Posted by: AGGabriel.9230

AGGabriel.9230

Let me show you a vision of the true guardian shield shud be this is just a skill but has some striking resemblance from guardian shield 4
read carefully and watch the image
http://neverwinter.gamepedia.com/Frontline_Surge

in Guardian

Posted by: Obtena.7952

Obtena.7952

I find that these singular, balance ‘lite’ changes are more useful to see the direction devs pushing the class. Of themselves aren’t very interesting.

Basically, more support in PVP/WvW is what I see.

in Guardian

Posted by: Black Box.9312

Black Box.9312

Both nice changes, but the Bane Signet buff wasn’t needed and won’t make much of a difference. The Retreat change is much more welcome, but it still does nothing for the demographic of guardian players who need the extra speed boost the most, because Retreat is generally not used in offensive roaming builds.

in Guardian

Posted by: Crapgame.6519

Crapgame.6519

Let me show you a vision of the true guardian shield shud be this is just a skill but has some striking resemblance from guardian shield 4
read carefully and watch the image
http://neverwinter.gamepedia.com/Frontline_Surge

Or make a shield do what it is designed for. Block, guard, and bash. DaOC had it right when a shield was equipped you could place guard on someone. So if you are within area/radius you could block an attack. I can’t stress how many times it stopped the pesky thief/stealth classes from putting a dagger in our healer or runi’s back.

Remove the focus, rework shield. Life would be better.

Main – Laaz Rocket – Guardian (Ehmry Bay)
Johnny Johnny – Ranger (Ehmry Bay)
Hárvey Wallbanger – Alt Warrior (Ehmry Bay)

in Guardian

Ynna.8769

Whenever people suggest completely reworking the Shield I feel the need to remind them that the knockback on the Shield is actually really good. The cooldown is just too long and the skill bugs out occasionally.

“Come on, hit me!”

in Guardian

Posted by: Crapgame.6519

Crapgame.6519

Whenever people suggest completely reworking the Shield I feel the need to remind them that the knockback on the Shield is actually really good. The cooldown is just too long and the skill bugs out occasionally.

I love the shield for that alone when in push/support mode. I just don’t like the focus and how it blocks better or the mace. Seems odd to me and then tie in shield 4 which is weak in my opinion, rework is in order. In theory anyway. Doesn’t mean I’m right by any means.

Main – Laaz Rocket – Guardian (Ehmry Bay)
Johnny Johnny – Ranger (Ehmry Bay)
Hárvey Wallbanger – Alt Warrior (Ehmry Bay)

in Guardian

Posted by: Ragnarox.9601

Ragnarox.9601

Um guardian is not buffed this patch i guess

in Guardian

Posted by: Mikau.6920

Mikau.6920

more guardian tool tip balance? :P

^ This guy was correct.

Sorry for my english.

in Guardian

Posted by: Black Box.9312

Black Box.9312

It’s decent, but I wouldn’t call it good. And even then, that leaves the shield with less effective uses than number of skills, which is pretty kitten pathetic considering that that number of skills is 2.

in Guardian

Shanks.2907

I love the shield for that alone when in push/support mode. I just don’t like the focus and how it blocks better or the mace. Seems odd to me and then tie in shield 4 which is weak in my opinion, rework is in order. In theory anyway. Doesn’t mean I’m right by any means.

Well, the focus is used as much for dps as it is for the blocks. In an offensive build, I’ll dodge roll to avoid blocking. It’s too bad that it’s split between offensive and defensive, really the only offhand worth taking.

The shield however, really needs a block. Some sort of duration block that can actually be used defensively. I’d like to see #5 put up the bubble for the team while holding a duration shield block for the guardian. Along with a knockdown on #4, I think the shield could be a viable choice for both bunker and dps.

in Guardian

Posted by: quaniesan.8497

quaniesan.8497

IMO, the retreat effect should be shield 4.

If ya no longer see me after this post,
it means THEY got me for " neg criticism in clever disguise".
Know that it has been fun and I love ya all.

in Guardian

Posted by: Saiyan.1704

Saiyan.1704

For those who don’t know, movement speed effects don’t stack. If you have 25% speed increase from Travelers and pop Retreat, you’ll only have 33% speed increase. The cd reduction just means you don’t have to use Travelers if you’re using it just for speed.

aka FalseLights
#5 best gerdien in wurld