New guardian with no clue

in Guardian

Posted by: Aevis.4632

Aevis.4632

Hello fellow guardians! I’m new to this class and so far I am really enjoying it. I’m am currently level 42 and well I’m starting to think about what build I would like for lvl 80.

I looked at this build I have seen on youtube called empowering wrath and I liked how it worked; however, the one of the main elements of the build (superior runes of strength) makes the build not so appealing to me due to its price.

So what I would like is for some tips on a build that does decent damage but isn’t squishy.

Also I would like to know if there is a guide on how to use virtues effectively? I find myself just spamming things willy nilly. Thank you.

in Guardian

Posted by: Charak.9761

Charak.9761

PvE?

in Guardian

Posted by: Thaddeus.4891

Thaddeus.4891

Empowering wrath is a sPvP and Roaming build. So are you searching for a sPvP/Roaming build? A WvW Zerging build? or a PvE build?

Thaddeauz [xQCx]- QC GUILD

in Guardian

Aevis.4632

well when I am 80 I will be doing mostly wvw roaming/spvp

in Guardian

Posted by: Ario.8964

Ario.8964

I like this for solo roam:
http://gw2skills.net/editor/?fVEQNAR8dlsApVo1CxfH8DNR8AVVAw+J/PLXvjjcDA-TVCBABap04MlgYpMTinAAAXEAVVxpq9HyT3QmqHEAAB4m3Mb2mB/8n/8n/8ndzfezfezfWGAztA-w

Its got tankiness, dps, and sustain in good amounts so I love it.

Don’t have a pvp build to share as I am still working on tests for them and such.

[Teef] Dragonbrand Thief and Engi main www.twitch.tv/ariodoesgaming and Ario Does Gaming on Youtube!

in Guardian

Aevis.4632

is that build an altruistic healing build? idk much about it but i hear AH isn’t good if you aren’t surrounded by allies

in Guardian

Charak.9761

(edited by Charak.9761)

in Guardian

Aevis.4632

A couple questions about the wvw roaming build.
1) with 13k hp and 1400 toughness, isn’t that a lil glass cannon? I’m used to being a necro so I’m a little worried about having such low hp.
2) the signet heal has a nice initial heal but wouldn’t shelter be better for the block?
3) are travelers runes still insanely expensive?

in Guardian

Posted by: Ario.8964

Ario.8964

AH I actually have experience with and I find it is pretty good as a set of small sustaining heals similar to regen which is something the build has quite a bit of. The point of my build using AH is to allow me to capitalize on sustain in the build and give me more access to condi removal via shouts and some extra tankiness if I need it. I personally like it better than mf with meditations but that may be just me.

And to answer his question, yes you should use shelter instead of signet of resolve because the block prevents you from being interrupted unless you run into a line of warding or something. Plus, it has a much shorter cooldown meaning you also can mitigate more damage over the course of the fight.

Travelers is still relatively expensive and in my opinion is not needed for a guardian because there are lots of better choices for rune sets that would work better and with the right setup you will most likely not need to run away.

[Teef] Dragonbrand Thief and Engi main www.twitch.tv/ariodoesgaming and Ario Does Gaming on Youtube!

in Guardian

Charak.9761

A couple questions about the wvw roaming build.
1) with 13k hp and 1400 toughness, isn’t that a lil glass cannon? I’m used to being a necro so I’m a little worried about having such low hp.
2) the signet heal has a nice initial heal but wouldn’t shelter be better for the block?
3) are travelers runes still insanely expensive?

My armour is 2709, exactly where it needs to be, the soft cap. Guardian have the lowest base hp, but you sustain yourself with 2k heals from medi. You need resolve, its your only passive condi removal, and shelter can be interrupted which makes you lose the heal and it goes on FULL CD. I think the runes are 6g now, but it doesnt have to be traveler’s, you can use flame legion in the meantime.

in Guardian

Aevis.4632

Ok thank you for the builds. Now the other part of my original question, how to use the virtues proper? I find myself spamming them atm but I’m sure there is a better way.

in Guardian

Charak.9761

F1 – Either for the might from virtue 1, or getting a blind up to get a vuln stack on, or when you know you’re going to kill target so it resets it

F2 – Try to almost never cast this, passive is strong, so keep it for quick recovery when you get under 4k HP

F3 – Try to never cast this unless you need to block a big attack and you have no dodge, or when you’re getting bursted to get the protection bonus from virtue 1

in Guardian

Aevis.4632

Thank you charak. Also yesterday I was watching videos of guardians and I came a across a hybrid guardian. Anyone know about this hybrid build and can tell me more?

in Guardian

Charak.9761

@Charak

What do you think about soldier armour and zerk weps and trinks for a little bit more survivability?

Are you talking in terms of PvE? Either way trinkets are always zerker, you can try knight’s armour if you’re learning the class and then slowly progress into zerker.

I generally reserve solider armour for WvW when its zerg vs. zerg.

in Guardian

Charak.9761

Thank you charak. Also yesterday I was watching videos of guardians and I came a across a hybrid guardian. Anyone know about this hybrid build and can tell me more?

Hybrid is probably bunker/bruiser, where you trade off some dmg for survivability and some survivability for some damage.

something like this:

http://gw2skills.net/editor/?fVAQNAS7dlsApboVDxcI8DNR8QVVAgdS8fV61/QQkDA-TBDBwAGV+tXDjw9HgcABkcEAlgAeAAq0BkSzAjDgQCzf6U/JwFLgUAMpMC-e

- 75% condi duration on you
- 20k-21.3k HP
- soft cap 2700 armour
- Heals on medi and dodge roll

in Guardian

Posted by: Preacher.4836

Preacher.4836

If your coming from necro you might like this build a bit better. it’s a much more in your face build then your probably used to, but with 32k armor and all the heals you’ll be getting it will keep you very nicely. It’s built to roam, but you can also zerg because of the toughness. it’s a pretty selfish zerg build though.

http://gw2skills.net/editor/?fVEQNAR8dlsApcoVDxbI8DRR8gY1nqCg50oX/LYOA-TFzDABuoSBqKBl7IAsy+D/o8DAzfHcBAWUdFLOIAeoLIgHAwbaEIDg5WA-w

Preacher

Preacher Roy-Guardian, Preacherroy-Engineer, Necro Preacher-Necromancer, Preacher Clone-Mesmer

in Guardian

Posted by: iHungeri.4096

iHungeri.4096

you need to find YOUR build to suit YOUR playstyle.

i’ve been through all the different builds, weapons and gear (even burning spirit weapons when the game was young lol, altruistic healing, shouts, empowering might, mace + torch, hammer, staff, knights, clerics, soldiers, celestial – you name it, i’ve probably tried it), and i’ve finally settled on a meditations guard wearing a mostly zerker + random bits set, traveller runes, using 0/6/6/1/1 traits with sw/f and gs.

after nearly 2 years.

it’s a crap build which i arrived at after a few months of testing, but it works fine for how i play. i even join zergs by swapping out my sword + focus for a staff or hammer (perma-blind with F1, 25 might stacks with shelter ftw) and survive to make lots of bags.

you should probably go for something surviveable first till you get a hang of the profession. some good suggestions above, but i’d go for a shouts build (both for utility and some damage), knight set with 0/x/6/6/1+x traits and one of every weapon (because guards are very.. “situational”).

in terms of when to pop F1-3, i use:
F1 when i need a blind (because of my traits)
F2 + F3 when i’m about to die (or if i accidentally activate renewed focus :p)

will pay for a dolly rocket booster