New main ... a Guardian perhaps ?

in Guardian

Posted by: Lillian Wandom Hale.7102

Lillian Wandom Hale.7102

Hi, I need help and I came to this forum because I almost know everything about thief that I need to know, but still have some VERY importan questions about Guardian

I’m tired of broken Ele and I want a new main, somebody that can deal damage and won’t be soooo scared of a hit or two.

Reason why I am reluctant from being Thief is because their GrandMaster Traits are limiting on stupid, while Guardian has few good GrandMaster Traits (for Soloing ofc)

I am here to ask just a few questions:

1. How viable Are his utilities, especially Spirit Weapons and Conescrations in solo PvE?
  2. Can he deal good damage or even less then elementalist ?
  3. How is he at soloing 1v3 mobs ?
  4. Can he solo skill points at higher lvls ( Elementalist HARDLY)
  5. How is he at Orr, and their mobs ? ( Ele is pretty much dead before you can even say Orr)

I am sorry, but melee concept is pretty much new to me. On one side I have Evades and Invisibility, on other hand I have Buffs and Heals.

Could someone experienced please answer to these questions, please ^^

Thx, Lilly

in Guardian

Posted by: Dragonhero.1852

Dragonhero.1852

If your plan is to do damage don’t go guardian.

in Guardian

Posted by: Rooj.7036

Rooj.7036

in Guardian

Dragonhero.1852

Not saying it isn’t a great class its awesome in support in control but lackluster in damage.

in Guardian

Posted by: Grace.6074

Grace.6074

Oh hey!

I have an 80 ele and am rerolling too, fancy seeing another one on the guardian forums.

I can’t answer your questions yet, my guardian is still very low level but I know it’s the right choice for me, particularly after reading the very, VERY good stickied guide because when I rolled ele I was initially looking for a support/heal type class.

Like I said I’m still low level (22 atm) but leveling has already been way easier than it was on ele. I can take multiple mobs and not die, and kill faster than ele did.

I’d say if you are looking for support go guardian, if you want pure dps go thief.

Aerre – Sylvari Elementalist
Necro/Warrior/Ranger/Mesmer/Guardian
HoD – PHZE

in Guardian

Dragonhero.1852

Actually they where looking for damage with survivability if thats what you want go Warrior. just don’t make a glass cannon warrior those guys are so useless.

in Guardian

Posted by: ShadowbaneX.6273

ShadowbaneX.6273

I am here to ask just a few questions:

1. How viable Are his utilities, especially Spirit Weapons and Conescrations in solo PvE?
  2. Can he deal good damage or even less then elementalist ?
  3. How is he at soloing 1v3 mobs ?
  4. Can he solo skill points at higher lvls ( Elementalist HARDLY)
  5. How is he at Orr, and their mobs ? ( Ele is pretty much dead before you can even say Orr)

Hello Lilly,

1. Spirit Weapons aren’t bad, but most people go with other options. Consecations are great, especially Sanctuary. Shouts & Meditations are also very strong. Signets are also very useful at the lower levels, but I find not so much in the mid to higher levels.
  2. Not so good at dealing damage, but very survivable, which means that they can continue to do their lower damage longer.
  3. With a greatsword, easily.
  4. Yes, that Guardian is awesome for soloing skill points. Sanctuary is your friend for any channel skill point.
  5. Yea, though I walk the through the isles of undeath, I shall fear no evil for I have a Greatsword, Heavy Armour and Virtues.
Heroes of the Horn [HotH] – Yak’s Bend

(edited by ShadowbaneX.6273)

in Guardian

Posted by: Eveningstar.6940

Eveningstar.6940

1. Both Spirit Weapons and Consecrations are viable in solo play.
2. Guardian damage options exist, but are more restricted. Look at Sword/Torch for good damage, or Hammer and Greatsword for steady damage with good control.
3. Guardians can take on 3 mobs pretty routinely. With good use of utilities and a well timed dodge, it’s not so difficult at all. Weapon choice also matters.
4. Yes. I’ve solo’d skill points at higher levels. It depends a little on the skill point. Certain skill points in Orr are pretty difficult to solo, but for the most part, you won’t have difficulty.
5. Orr is tough for everyone, but a smart Guardian won’t have trouble.

Valerie Cross: Roleplayer, Writer, Tarnished Coast

A Beginner’s Guide to Guardians

in Guardian

Posted by: Wizardauz.3761

Wizardauz.3761

Idk what Dragonhero is going on about. Guardian was my first choice and i haven’t regretted it once.

I have a 71 Guardian, and i can take 2-4 mobs my level and or 2 and a veteran at once. I deal great dmg (cuz i aim for certain stats and im ok with routinely going to the TP and updating gear with some cheap greens)

Spirit Weapons and Consecrations are good, but personally i lvled up this whole time Meditation/Shout.

Hammers and GS give you great control (as mentioned above). I choose GS because of aesthetic reasons, i secondary a scepter/shield combo for ranged. Know that too, Guardians have very little escape options and have a big lack of ranged dps.

Skill points aren’t that tough. You can handle most veterans your level. As for Orr specifically, i cant tell you cuz i haven’t been haha. But if your looking for someone who can dishout damage and take some hits then a guardian could be a good option.

Ehmry Bay – Good Fights Guild Leader
Lvl 80 Sylvari Guardian – Tzenjin [GF]
Lvl 80 Human Elementalist – Tzenkai [GF]

in Guardian

Posted by: Lillian Wandom Hale.7102

Lillian Wandom Hale.7102

To be honest I did roll as a Guardian a bit before, till lvl 10-11….but I gave up because he was too slow for my style…in terms of walking, not killing XD

Biggest thing I enjoyed on Ele was + 25% MovSpeed after a minute in Air, and Thief has it on signet PERMA….

Things I like about Guardian :

• buffs
  • armor
  • different weapons
  • melee
  • magic

But Movement Speed really plays a big part for me (for exploration).

Is there a way for him to be a bit faster (he dosen’t have a lasting skill nor trait for it)?

PS. Although …now I remember combo Staff-Retreat from my Sylvari at Beta3 …but still, both active skills, nothing passive

in Guardian

Posted by: Morelia.6835

Morelia.6835

Had a lot of fun leveling this class.

Attachments:

in Guardian

ShadowbaneX.6273

That is the one thing a Guardian truely lacks. They’ve got Sigil of Swiftness, “Retreat!” & “Save Yourselves!” Those are our sources of Swiftness.

I guess if you want speed too you should look at the Warrior. Guardians aren’t exactly fleet of foot.

in Guardian

Posted by: Lumines.3916

Lumines.3916

The ones claiming Guardians aren’t doing good in terms of the damage department have not been beyond the scope of this class.

For how supportive you build the class, you’d be surprised at the damage they can put out. Sword/Focus + Greatsword makes leveling extremely easy. Sure their burst will never match up with a Thief or Warrior, but their sustain is higher than most would ever hope to be when you put their control options in the equation.

in Guardian

Posted by: Kelgrim.2146

Kelgrim.2146

For speed you can switch to staff. With the trait for a 20% shorter CD on 2Handers and some boon duration buffs, you can keep the speed boon up constantly. Without the traits / duration buffs it’s still very good for running around quickly.
I’m a guild mount at the moment. Helping guildies exploring maps, because it works on others too.
Guardian has the best group speed utility afaik. (Shame I don’t like the rest of the abilities on the staff, so before battle I have to equip something else, which is a bit of a hazzle)

In mostly rare gear and with the correct traits, I can solo about 4-5 Orr risen mobs at the same time, at a very good speed to boot. (Mind you, it does get a bit hard in full Magic Find gear)

I haven’t played much of the other classes, because Guardian is just that awesome

in Guardian

Posted by: nerva.7940

nerva.7940

it’s all about playstyle. ele has a high skill cap. the grass is always greener, remember that. guardian is easier to learn, for sure.

Ikiro – 80 Ranger
Umie – 80 Guardian
http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCgLbWtvtzdU0Ho0zto6VnTQ

in Guardian

Posted by: Grace.6074

Grace.6074

it’s all about playstyle. ele has a high skill cap. the grass is always greener, remember that. guardian is easier to learn, for sure.

Trust me, I understand the OP’s frustration. I have been there and it’s no fun struggling to survive just to kill one undead mob in Orr while you see other classes facerolling their way through them at twice your speed (if not more).

Aerre – Sylvari Elementalist
Necro/Warrior/Ranger/Mesmer/Guardian
HoD – PHZE

in Guardian

Posted by: Ynna.8769

Ynna.8769

1. I personally don’t like the Spirit Weapons, but they’re pretty effective. I’ve recently tested Consecrations, and they worked great, if a bit long on the cooldowns.
2. Guardians can do great damage, but your options aren’t that big. Also, burst damage in nearly non-existent, but sustained damage is more than adequate. Can’t really say if they’re better than Elementalists, as I don’t play one.
3. It’s doable. You’d just have to be smart with your cooldowns.
4. Yes, never had any problems with soloing 1v1 fights.
5. Not there yet, so I can’t really comment on it.

Shut up you.

“Come on, hit me!”

in Guardian

Posted by: Svarty.8019

Svarty.8019

Only do it if you’re a masochist.

Nobody at Anet loves WvW like Grouch loved PvP. That’s what we need, a WvW Grouch, but taller.

in Guardian

Posted by: Keldrath.4735

Keldrath.4735

Lets just say the best defense is a good offense is not the guardian motto…

80 Necromancer/Guardian/Mesmer
Isle of Janthir
Super Ultra Mega Awesome [SUMA]

in Guardian

Posted by: Keldrath.4735

Keldrath.4735

That is the one thing a Guardian truely lacks. They’ve got Sigil of Swiftness, “Retreat!” & “Save Yourselves!” Those are our sources of Swiftness.

I guess if you want speed too you should look at the Warrior. Guardians aren’t exactly fleet of foot.

With a chocolate omnomberry cream, with just retreat, save yourselves and the staff number 3 skill i can keep swiftness rolling permanently. Without the food i can keep it up almost permanently with like a 3-4 second period without it.

80 Necromancer/Guardian/Mesmer
Isle of Janthir
Super Ultra Mega Awesome [SUMA]

in Guardian

ShadowbaneX.6273

Yeah, but then I don’t get my nommy Omnomberry Bars

in Guardian

Posted by: Horheristo.3607

Horheristo.3607

So much fail…

I’ve been looking at other classes in the game, and been wondering if Guardian was the ONLY class that can deal any damage?

I swear to god, earlier I just stood there looking at a ranger killing a single mob that took him forever.

Going to fraps my gameplay compared to others, in hope that you all reroll and stop giving us such bad reputation.

in Guardian

Posted by: Velisong.9543

Velisong.9543

We have the ability to trait and build for damage while maintaining group support/our own utilities, because our class has support and utility engrained in many of our core skills regardless of damage orientation or not. Skillpoint in orr, or otherwise are fairly easy to beat. Missing about 2 in orr, all have been done solo just requires positioning, pre-emptive clearing of mobs, and the right skill/weapons selected prior to engagement. Orr itself is very very easy, since we have some of the most prolific protective abilities/combos, and condition removal/swaps. Guardians are a very solid class, who are always needed. Only down sides are our ranged capabilities are limited to mostly support/control and we have low base hp and can get dull if only playing one weapon set.