No Sword and Shield love?

in Guardian

Posted by: almostdaft.4319

almostdaft.4319

All I see Guardians typically use is Greatswords and Hammers. I’ve came across very little sword/shield Guardians. I’ve recently dabbled into the Sword of Shield combo and, with the right traits, you can murder burning foes with crits and have the defense to live through several fights.

Anybody else favor the Sword and Shield as opposed to the GS?

in Guardian

Posted by: SiNoS.2147

SiNoS.2147

I always have a gs if not but for the simple condition purge combo. My 2nd weapons are eather sword/shield if im being more defensive at the moment. Or staff for major pew pew. I know staff and pew pew in same sentence is funny but channel the 12 might then switch to gs = pew pew for a good bit.

in Guardian

Posted by: Shimond.2478

Shimond.2478

Not really, the synergy isn’t there for sword/shield. Sword is more of an offensive weapon for guardian. Now mace/shield on the other hand…

in Guardian

Posted by: SiNoS.2147

SiNoS.2147

Not really, the synergy isn’t there for sword/shield. Sword is more of an offensive weapon for guardian. Now mace/shield on the other hand…

Theres nice synergy between then. Sword has a fast recast teleport and a channeled ranged block. Shield ofcourse has a damage reducer and the wonderful soa. Love using soa to put some distance between the mob and my team then teleporting to them. Also nice to have the channeled block.

in Guardian

Posted by: Aesti.3725

Aesti.3725

I wanted to sword-and-board but I just got tired of the cooldowns and damage output. I found my greatsword just tore things down faster.

Not much to use other than that. Staff and scepter.. just don’t do anything for me.

Really wish these skills used mana rather than cooldowns. I’d be rocking 1-handed sword if I could use Zealot’s Defense more often.

in Guardian

Posted by: IsilZha.3608

IsilZha.3608

I wanted to sword-and-board but I just got tired of the cooldowns and damage output. I found my greatsword just tore things down faster.

You know you have two weapon sets you can swap between, right?

“To strive, to seek, to find, and not to yield.”

in Guardian

Posted by: Dhajra.5413

Dhajra.5413

The focus feels better to me with the sword. You can queue Shield of Wrath up before the fight starts and teleport an AOE explosion into their faces for some nice damage. Ray of Judgment’s regeneration is nice too for being in melee.

The shield feels better to me when combined on the scepter as it’s much easier (being at range) to grab my entire group with protection and being able to use Shield of Absorption as a means to keep my ranged safe from enemy ranged.

It’s all about flavor though.

in Guardian

Posted by: Ynna.8769

Ynna.8769

I’ve used it in all my PvP builds so far. Often use it in PvE as well. I just love it.

“Come on, hit me!”

in Guardian

Posted by: Baileybobbs.8419

Baileybobbs.8419

I love the sword n shield myself pretty great on mobs to give them an ear bashing I guess it’s up to the persons game style.
I start single mobs with Septer n shield cause of the range the pin in place with Chains of light and then swap and go flashing blade ,virtue of justice and Zealot’s defence that normally takes single enemy to less than a 3rd health.
Mobs of 3 + I normally use flashing blade or judges intervention to get me with in the group and pound the snott out of em n swap to use smite while I’m on cool downs

in Guardian

Posted by: Aza.2105

Aza.2105

I don’t like sword nor shield, both are underwhelming weapons to me. Shield because of the long cooldowns to skills that aren’t very good. Sword for a different reason, it brings nothing to group. It has no combo fields nor combo finishers.

I guess its a good solo weapon though.

Amd Ryzen 1800x – Amd Fury X -64GB of ram
Windows 10

in Guardian

Posted by: Rayya.2591

Rayya.2591

Shield is my favorite Of hand: not weak , as many consider it , it can change the advantage in small groups pvp because of the knockback
when i made guardian , i assumed i will use sword and shield, but got disapointed on sword skills
let’s check sword – first skill : good dmg
second skill : an blink to your enemy with blind – looks good on paper but reuse is too high when you are chasing somebody , and you get stuck in texture too many times, using this skill
3’rd skill : good dmg for toe to toe, but if enemy just move he avoid it – in my opinion 2 and 3 should be merged

http://imgur.com/a/fKgjD
no.1 WvW kills

in Guardian

Posted by: Eveningstar.6940

Eveningstar.6940

Sword is a fantastically good weapon. It hits hard, fast, triggers Virtue of Justice Passive frequently, comes with a short-cooldown Teleport+Blind making it both mobile and effective mitigation, and it works well with every offhand. Shield for Group Support (filling in a niche Sword lacks), Focus for double blinds and better personal mitigation, and Torch for more raw damage, spike damage and condition removal.

Valerie Cross: Roleplayer, Writer, Tarnished Coast

A Beginner’s Guide to Guardians

in Guardian

Posted by: Chii.2814

Chii.2814

I use sword and shield. I like how fast the sword hits for my trait build and I like the shields #4 for altruistic healing

My trait build lets me grant might to allies every time i crit, faster i swing, (not to mention the 3 hit on the swords final chain) the more might i grant, the more might I grant, the more healing i get.

The ridiculous healing and constant might granting works really well in dungeons for me

EDIT:
Oh and my 2ndary is staff, Symbol of Swiftness + #4 skill is basically almost a full heal to me with a party/zerg

in Guardian

Eveningstar.6940

My trait build lets me grant might to allies every time i crit, faster i swing, (not to mention the 3 hit on the swords final chain) the more might i grant, the more might I grant, the more healing i get.

I use Sword as a weapon swap in Altruistic Healing too. The Might generation from Sword is indeed cool. Remember that you’ll get a lot of Vigor off sword crits too!

in Guardian

Posted by: Chii.2814

Chii.2814

I use Sword as a weapon swap in Altruistic Healing too. The Might generation from Sword is indeed cool. Remember that you’ll get a lot of Vigor off sword crits too!

oh definitely, not only can i dodge more often, since my dodge has heals built in em vigor becomes even more valuable

in Guardian

Posted by: Telegraph.7509

Telegraph.7509

Favorite guardian things #57:

Sword teleport to someone, shield 4, lightning ping-pong, then bubble them away

in Guardian

Posted by: Shenrei.2057

Shenrei.2057

I love both the sword and shield, shield especially for the extra toughness. It’s also a must against Lupiticus for both skills. The extra heal can come in handy as wel.

in Guardian

Posted by: Silver.8023

Silver.8023

I, too, thought I would always be rolling around with sword+shield. I like the shield, I admit it’s a little lacking but it has really saved the day multiple times and once you learn good times to use its skills, it’s not that bad at all.
Sword, however, I find it really disappointing, I love the idea behind Zealot’s Defense but it really isn’t reliable unless the target is motionless. Blocking projectiles is nice, however, they don’t even count as real blocks, so any traits related to blocking are wasted on it. I also love that it has a teleport but it’s not usable outside of combat and its damage is almost non-existant. The chain does good damage yes, it procs Justice often, yes but you can actually proc Justice almost as much, if not, equally as much as sword with good use of other weapons too. Heck, if you have five enemies lined up (which in pve is pretty easy) Wave of Wrath (staff #1) would proc Justice EVERY hit, any weapon with a symbol can also proc it really often so I wouldn’t really say it’s one of the biggest draws to sword for me.
Frankly, I hate to say it, greatsword seems to outshine it in almost every regard, it has a gap closing, aoe blind that does good damage with a similar cooldown; it has team support through boons, combos and symbols (which can obviously be traited various ways); it has MORE boons through its #1 chain which increase damage and synergise with traits (Altruistic Healing); self comboing condition removal and retalition and to top it off, a pretty good control move. All whilst doing much more aoe damage, you will pretty much always kill three things faster with greatsword than it takes sword to kill one thing.
Greatsword, as an offensive weapon, still brings far more to the team than sword does. I really hope sword gets addressed somehow as I really love its aesthetic.
“But Silver”, you say, “you’re forgetting offhands!”, well let’s look at offhands + sword then. I find shield works ok with it if you’re going for team support so that has nice team synergy at least but the combo field has a very short duration to cooldown ratio, which greatsword still beats after its revision (I’m not discounting the damage reduction and small heal shield brings though). Sword+torch is ok, aside from good damage, the only thing extra it brings to the team is a condition removal, very situational too though, as you’d probably prefer to burninate your enemies than burninate your buddy’s conditions, plus having a light field, such as Symbol of Wrath on greatsword, can still provide much better condition removal from allies without having to ‘aim’ it away from foes. Sword + Focus isn’t too bad as you get a blast finisher and some personal survivability, Ray of Judgement, whilst looking kinda lame is pretty handy. The drawback of sword+focus though, is that focus’ cooldowns are much longer than greatsword, with one 45ish blast finisher compared to greatsword’s THREE finishers with a 10, 15, 30 cooldowns STILL brings a little more to the table in regard to helping the team.
A lot of people would now probably say something like, “Sword supports the team by making things die”, true that but so does greatsword and probably to greater effect, especially versus a lot of enemies.
I know what I’m saying is quite subjective and looks like I’m completely praising the greatsword. I’m not though, I would really prefer to use sword+X over greatsword but greatsword still seems to offer so much more.
Sorry for the wall.

Silver Stormshield – Guardian
Kaimoon Blade – Warrior
Fort Aspenwood

in Guardian

Posted by: Gulbrandr.9047

Gulbrandr.9047

Fun fact: Sword Wave is treated as a Projectile for the purposes of some skills that reflect projectiles. In particular, Earth Elementals who reflect projectiles will make you regret using a sword.

in Guardian

Posted by: Jongi.7612

Jongi.7612

I use a sword and shield quite a bit along with a greatsword. Mobility, 33% damage reduction good burst on both weapons with an aoe knockback and aoe grip. The greatsword gap closer with the blind misses a lot even when right on top of someone but you just have to learn to work around it.

I like the impact visuals of the hammer its just too slow for me to play. But thats the good thing about GW2, no 1 set way to play, unless your a necro lol.

in Guardian

Posted by: deherch.3158

deherch.3158

stupid quote button gone again!?

@Gulbrandr
Fun fact: Sword Wave is treated as a Projectile for the purposes of some skills that reflect projectiles. In particular, Earth Elementals who reflect projectiles will make you regret using a sword.

That doesn’t seem right, it’s not considered to be a projectile (not even 20% like some other skills) when it comes to combo fields → projectile finishers.. why would it count as a projectile for reflect :\

in Guardian

Eveningstar.6940

That doesn’t seem right, it’s not considered to be a projectile (not even 20% like some other skills) when it comes to combo fields ? projectile finishers.. why would it count as a projectile for reflect :\

Not all projectiles are actually projectile finishers (see: Scepter Auto), but Sword Wave’s definitely a very short range projectile. It probably does that in order to create the ‘triple hit’ effect on one swing.