No changes to the shield in upcoming patch?

in Guardian

Posted by: Samis.1750

Samis.1750

Shields aren’t used that much, even in wvw.

Any chance of them lowering the cooldown?

Tarnished Coast

in Guardian

Posted by: Vikkela.7261

Vikkela.7261

Nope, if no surprises happen. It’s probably in a good spot

I wish #4 would be replaced with something like Warriors blocking skill.. One can dream

9 Guardians later…

in Guardian

Posted by: Black Box.9312

Black Box.9312

Apparently Anet isn’t aware of just how useless guardian shield really is. So it doesn’t seem like it’ll be going anywhere anytime soon.

in Guardian

Posted by: Talyn.3295

Talyn.3295

I would like to see the shield get some love. The Flameseeker Prophecy was my first and still my favorite legendary weapon. I really only use it in spvp when I bunker. I would be happy with either a blind or weakness or something added to number 4 because I doubt we will get a full rework on it.

“We have now left Reason and Sanity Junction. Next stop, Looneyville.”

in Guardian

Posted by: Veydar.5017

Veydar.5017

At first I thought you guys were crazy since Shield of the Avenger is super important in some Fractals… then I realized that the class I main has the ability to use an actual Shield. Totally forgot about that in those 2000 hours of hardcore PvE …

in Guardian

Posted by: garganor.9824

garganor.9824

Maybe aegis on shield 4.

That would make me think about taking it over focus a bit, and if as mentioned in another thread that you can start #5 and then move and it still blocks (without the heal) then it is sounding better already.

in Guardian

Posted by: AGGabriel.9230

AGGabriel.9230

The guardian has lost many weapons in favor for the warrior hammer, shield and even GS
sword still small chance (or not)

in Guardian

Posted by: rajule.8054

rajule.8054

I’m sort of ok with shield, I used it for a long time and love the knockback/bubble/small heal.

if there is anything I’d tweak it would be shield 4 either add a daze effect to the cone attack(really strong offensive) or have it give aegis to allies it hits in addition to the protection it already gives.

in Guardian

Posted by: oxtred.7658

oxtred.7658

Maybe aegis on shield 4.

That would make me think about taking it over focus a bit, and if as mentioned in another thread that you can start #5 and then move and it still blocks (without the heal) then it is sounding better already.

Yeah, aegis on skill 4 is a good idea, especially for pve. I’d use it over focus in pugs.

If you’re on EU and need help to get into dungeons, pm me.

in Guardian

Posted by: Fiorrello.8126

Fiorrello.8126

Give shield 4 a 1/2 second daze on enemies and an 8 second aegis on allies instead of protection and I would be happy. Right now the protection is too short to be truely useful, an interrupt would be better and thematically the block works better for the shield.

also aegis on our shield would synergize better with our traits. Make people actually wantto take shattered aegis.

in Guardian

Posted by: Ragnar the Rock.3174

Ragnar the Rock.3174

Give shield 4 a 1/2 second daze on enemies and an 8 second aegis on allies instead of protection and I would be happy. Right now the protection is too short to be truely useful, an interrupt would be better and thematically the block works better for the shield.

also aegis on our shield would synergize better with our traits. Make people actually wantto take shattered aegis.

This really.

Though in PvE the protection applied by the shield is 5 seconds, 2 seconds longer then it is in PvP. If they would get rid of that distinction it would be better.

It would also be very nice if they would change the wave into an 300 unit range AOE centered on the guardian that applies 5 seconds of protection to allies while damaging enemies
As is it’s bad for someone up front because they have to turn around or dodge roll backwards to use it on allies.

As for the #5. It can be nice in some fractals but in large part it’s useless because wall of reflection is much much better.
Instead what if it did the following

1: Damage & knock back all enemies in melee for 200 units (knockbacks also interrupt casting)
&
2: Apply Aegis (6 seconds) to all allies within 300 units.

Then reduce the cool down to 30 seconds

in Guardian

Posted by: Dezuel.4519

Dezuel.4519

I’d agree with Fiorrello’s suggestion pretty much, or change the daze into a knockdown, also would work out well. I’d also wish to see a shield trait that’d let shield 5 reflect projectiles. Overall, we need some daze attack and either cripple/torment to a weapon aswell. To interupt and to mess with kiters abit, providing you’d hit.

My suggestion is to for example make torch 5 apply torment, 1 per 2 sec or apply daze.

And perhaps apply cripple to sword 2 or sword 1. Guardian hammer could use a slight speedbuff to its autoattack and skill 4, aswell as making skill 5 castable while moving. Same goes for sword 3.

“With these wings of fiery destruction, I shall smash everything into dust!”

in Guardian

Posted by: Reborn.2934

Reborn.2934

the problems with shield is that is created to used with full concentrate skills and it is a static weapon .

mobility is one of the problems of guardians and shield makes him more static , aka predictable or … the main target for the enemies

(edited by Reborn.2934)

in Guardian

Posted by: Charak.9761

Charak.9761

I’ve never been okay with shield

I would put people who defend its current state as loss to insanity. Every time I see a guard with a shield, I go “Hey, free kill”

in Guardian

Posted by: Norjena.5172

Norjena.5172

Aegis and/or Daze on Shield 4 would be awesome.
Skill 5 should be something likes Braum´s W from Leage of Legends…a jump in front of an allie to protect him/her!
Would fit the guardian class, and makes the shield viable.

in Guardian

Posted by: Camarell.5648

Camarell.5648

Something must be done to the guardian shield,. all suggestions is a lot better then its current state. Only reason to use shield as guardian is because it looks way cooler then focus. I have shield when im in a town. I use Focus 100% of the time i fight over shield. Focus even has a blastfinnisher on 5 if not destroyed, and will block all types of attackas 3 times. Shield only absorbs “eats” projectiles and u risk to upset ppl with the knockback + freaking lightfield. If u use a shield as guardian be prepared to get yelled at. Or be very cautious when u put down 5. #4 doesnt do much but it will not make ppl mad.

in Guardian

Posted by: Vikkela.7261

Vikkela.7261

Only reason to use shield as guardian is because it looks way cooler then focus. I have shield when im in a town. I use Focus 100% of the time i fight over shield.

Haha I do this too, wish it would be viable in the field

9 Guardians later…

in Guardian

Posted by: xFireize.6318

xFireize.6318

Can anyone explain why 8 seconds of Aegis (traited & untraited) is better than 4 seconds of Protection? I’m kinda surprised the argument came from a guardian, to be honest.

I support adding a daze to #4. The skill cooldowns are fairly long (they are skill #4 and #5), but they are reasonable if you use the cooldown trait. I do think the trait could be moved to Adept, instead of Master level. Other than that, it’s already a good defensive weapon.

Bloo Foefire [RAM]
Yak’s Bend
Why bother being a Guardian if you don’t guard anyone?

in Guardian

oxtred.7658

Aegis+ protection is better than just protection. And in pve, aegis> protection.

in Guardian

Posted by: Harbinger.8637

Harbinger.8637

The shield was op so they nerfed it!

Shield of Absorption
•Fixed a bug that caused this skill’s projectile absorption to persist after the skill was cancelled or interrupted.

That’s actually really disappointing for me because I used that bug a lot, and it’s been around since day one.

Guardian WvW Guide!
Heavens Rage

in Guardian

Posted by: cymerdown.4103

cymerdown.4103

Yeah dude, that’s a pretty massive nerf to shield in PvP. Pretty sad day for shield guardians, hope it receives some love soon

Kensuda (Bunker Guardian)
Bunker Guardian Guide
Twitch Stream

in Guardian

Posted by: xFireize.6318

xFireize.6318

Aegis+ protection is better than just protection.

And candy + ice cream is better than just candy. I’m sure everyone gets that. However, some guardians here want to replace the protection. AFAIK, shield #4 is still the only weapon skill that can provide on-demand protection.

And in pve, aegis> protection.

Is that so? I haven’t been to PvE for a long time and never once used shield for it. Like I asked earlier, could you explain that please?

Also, is it a good idea to balance a weapon from PvE point of view?

Bloo Foefire [RAM]
Yak’s Bend
Why bother being a Guardian if you don’t guard anyone?

in Guardian

oxtred.7658

Aegis+ protection is better than just protection.

And candy + ice cream is better than just candy. I’m sure everyone gets that. However, some guardians here want to replace the protection. AFAIK, shield #4 is still the only weapon skill that can provide on-demand protection.

And in pve, aegis> protection.

Is that so? I haven’t been to PvE for a long time and never once used shield for it. Like I asked earlier, could you explain that please?

Also, is it a good idea to balance a weapon from PvE point of view?

Yeah, and some others consider adding an aegis to the protection isn’t overpowered.
Aegis is superior in pve and 1v1 because you can negate all the dangerous attacks ( be it the OHKO of a boss or a burst warrior skill) and you have all the control about what is directed towards you, wich isn’t the case of pvp. Balancing a skill for pve only is as stupid as balancing it only for pvp. If they do balance skills for pvp only, they end up overpowered/underpowered in dungeons, and can either render a class useless ( frost spirit) or buff them undirectly (tweaking multipliers or coefficients), and then people ask for nerfs, wich then unbalance pvp, and it goes in circle like that.

in Guardian

Posted by: Fiorrello.8126

Fiorrello.8126

Aegis on shield 4 would be better then protection for every aspect of the game (WvW, PvE, PvP) the protection lasts for in insanely small amount of time in PvP so for it to be useful you have to use it the instant someone is about to be hit.

With aegis you are guaranteed to block one attack. This will severely reduce the burst your allies may take or mess up an enemy trying to set up a burst. Something 2-3 seconds of protection just won’t do.

Lastly aegis will synergize with guardian traits that prock off of aegis. Might, burning, damage, retaliation, healing.

in Guardian

Posted by: Black Box.9312

Black Box.9312

The shield was op so they nerfed it!

Shield of Absorption
•Fixed a bug that caused this skill’s projectile absorption to persist after the skill was cancelled or interrupted.

That’s actually really disappointing for me because I used that bug a lot, and it’s been around since day one.

Wait… Really?

Of ALL the things they could have done to guardian shield, they nerfed the one ‘bug’ that actually made the skill not utter garbage.

G kittening G and goodnight.

in Guardian

Posted by: Crapgame.6519

Crapgame.6519

It needs a intercept or guard feature like the Thane or other classes had in DaOC. Place guard on a party member, if they are near you – you intercept one attack…

Not too difficult to come up with unique ways to make the shield actually more useful.

Main – Laaz Rocket – Guardian (Ehmry Bay)
Johnny Johnny – Ranger (Ehmry Bay)
Hárvey Wallbanger – Alt Warrior (Ehmry Bay)

in Guardian

Posted by: blakdoxa.7520

blakdoxa.7520

Maybe a 3-5 sec block that grants stability for the duration and 1 sec of aoe protection for a hit on a 1 sec ICD.

And make shield 4 something else.

Devona’s Rest