Nobody cares about ranged viability anymore?

in Guardian

Posted by: Sandra Martino.3870

Sandra Martino.3870

There are like 3 or more threads about our lacking ranged viability that sank to the 3th and 4th topic page… really?? All you care about is making topics about changing 1 trait and call it a new build and actually get 20 responds on that? What is wrong with this community??

Videos like: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lSJ0pqRwjuU deserve an outburst to be honest, currently we are only viable in WvW if we are full support. I mean, do you actually walk into the other zerg and start meleeing them? What about PVE?? You actually walk up to that boss that swings for 40k damage?? Any remotely competitive content where your intent is not only support but also remotely dps is deminished and frankly nobody gives a kitten according to these forums. Nice…

Still Feeling Lucky [PunK] – Gunnars Hold
Recruiting necros & guardians. Whisper ingame.

in Guardian

Posted by: Lonewolf Kai.3682

Lonewolf Kai.3682

I used to be one of those that advocated range viability for Guardians, but the more I thought about it the less it appealed to me. #1 reason why: getting better range means that something will have to be nerfed. And that’s one thing I don’t want any more of.

So if that means I stay rangeless, then so be it.

“Be like water” – Bruce Lee

in Guardian

Posted by: DarkHeart.1760

DarkHeart.1760

I’d love it if the range of Staff was changed to at least 900 (maybe w/ a tighter focused cone), or if the scepter moved a little faster… BUT, the best thing for me is traiting/gearing for up close and beating the heck out of everything…. and setting it all on blue fire

in Guardian

Posted by: Lalnuir.4957

Lalnuir.4957

currently we are only viable in WvW if we are full support. I mean, do you actually walk into the other zerg and start meleeing them?

Yes I do, if you want to melee in WvW find a decent guild.

Melee is more than viable, you simply need to know when to push and when to pull back to heal up with water fields and you need people to work together as one guardian running into the middle of an enemies zerg is pointless.

in Guardian

Posted by: VenomousEX.4012

VenomousEX.4012

This is just sad man. I rarely use scepter now.

in Guardian

Posted by: Pixels.6532

Pixels.6532

I think scepter needs a look, but I prefer the front page being filled with threads discussing builds, playstyle and people giving feedback to complaints that Anet knows about and will change if they want to.

Sanctum of Rall

in Guardian

Posted by: ens.9854

ens.9854

I don’t even use scepter on my offensive guard anymore, just swd/focus and greatsword. Seems like it is much better to keep pressuring with gap closers and massive sustain than switch to a weapon that is destined to be subpar (plus naturally have lower DPS just b/c it is ranged). Nothing can profitably melee a guard anyway so go nuts.

And yes, you can do some stuff in wvw melee; teleporting in with a few massive swings/CC effects at proper moments can be pretty effective.

in Guardian

Posted by: CptAurellian.9537

CptAurellian.9537

Obviously, you did not have any look at this forum during the last week. Otherwise, you would have noticed that there were at least two threads complaining about exactly this issue. But since old news is old, they just dropped from the front page. ANet knows about the issue, so it’s their decision to act or not to act.

Anyways, regarding PvE, I personally don’t really care about changes to our ranged options. DPS-wise, the scepter is fine in most cases (at least for a ranged weapon), and the staff is also OK with all its support. Meleeing is still the better option. You just need to know how to dodge, then “40k boss damage” are no problem.

Warning! This post may contain traces of irony, sarcasm and peanuts.

There is no loyalty without betrayal. -Ann Smiley

in Guardian

Posted by: Tinboy.7954

Tinboy.7954

Nah, it’s more like we are all tired of the “scepter is broken threads”. We’ve been saying this since like forever and nothing has been done. It is unlikely anything will be done to it if it hasn’t been done by now since it is quite hard for anet to miss something this broken unless it was actually intended.

in Guardian

Posted by: mrauls.6519

mrauls.6519

Our range option isn’t bad

Mes (Guardian)
I make PvP & WvW videos

in Guardian

Posted by: Obtena.7952

Obtena.7952

Perhaps people have come to the conclusion that complaining about the same thing every two days with new threads isn’t really an effective way to get dev’s attention.

in Guardian

Posted by: Kanto.1659

Kanto.1659

You can only beat a horse so many times, re-hashing and repeating the same argument before it gets old and all that had to be said was said.

in Guardian

Posted by: Sarius.6983

Sarius.6983

Because people have been complaining and portraying the crappyness that’s the scepter auto attack since release and there has been no changes. What’s the point really?

in Guardian

Posted by: Cameirus.8407

Cameirus.8407

at some point you just give up.

last Anet post in the guardian forum was over 3months ago, and the was to just lock a thread.

Whats the point of continuing to point of issues identified since the first beta weekend, when its obvious Anet just dont listen. (I’m not saying they need to necessarily just do as we [I] want, but a response would be nice).

Many years of gaming has taught me this: Its not a bad thing for players to complain, it means they care, often quite passionately, about the game. the time to worry is when it goes silent, that means that people have just given up and stopped caring.

in Guardian

Sandra Martino.3870

Well actually, this would be a great time to buff our ranged capabilities. Above this thread are 3 threads stating one thing: we got indirectly nerfed because of warrior/thief mechanics and soon we will get even more nerfed because of boon hate.

Take our mitigation away, what are we? Genius, billionaire, playboy, philanthropist? Not really. We`ll be like a warrior with still best support but worse melee dmg, worse ranged dmg, worse defense due to kittenty hp.

Im fine with all that, make us at least swing tennisballs that hit targets… at the very kitten least.

in Guardian

Posted by: Setun.4368

Setun.4368

There are like 3 or more threads about our lacking ranged viability that sank to the 3th and 4th topic page… really?? All you care about is making topics about changing 1 trait and call it a new build and actually get 20 responds on that? What is wrong with this community??

Videos like: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lSJ0pqRwjuU deserve an outburst to be honest, currently we are only viable in WvW if we are full support. I mean, do you actually walk into the other zerg and start meleeing them? What about PVE?? You actually walk up to that boss that swings for 40k damage?? Any remotely competitive content where your intent is not only support but also remotely dps is deminished and frankly nobody gives a kitten according to these forums. Nice…

You’re 600% wrong if you think we’re only good for support in wvw. I have 0 problems with melee or ranged damage on my Guardian in both pve and wvw. As other people have mentioned before, our ranged is fine. If they beef it up in some way, something else of ours will have to be nerfed in turn. Also if you treat scepter like a combo weapon you’ll have a better time. I use scepter / torch and my combo usually is #3 —> #2 —> #5 —> #4 while 5 is in mid channel, then #4 again to toss the fireball. TONS of damage and at the very least will make most people panic and burn stun breakers early.

in Guardian

Sandra Martino.3870

There are 2 zergs in front of each other. You run in to melee the enemy, you die. Or…. you would have ranged viability to stand in your own zerg and nuke the other zerg from a distance like everyone else.

And to the one claiming he pushes other zergs all of the time: wrong, if your not in for continuously suicidal leaps, you simply don’t :P

And if you seriously manage to melee random fractal boss on 40+ for more then 1 second, i salute you.

in Guardian

Setun.4368

Ring of Warding + Judge’s Invervention = the most fun you can have watching a group of people panic that they’re in an enemy combo field. I jump into zergs and survive all the time. Just a matter of what you bring with you gear / utilities wise.

in Guardian

Sandra Martino.3870

I dont understand your argument, zergs nuke the ones that are closest. If they suddenly see a red person in the middle of their zerg this person will be focused by 40 people. Even with 4k armor and 25k hp you will not survive. Hence, melee is not viable in my pov in wvw.

in Guardian

Setun.4368

I dont understand your argument, zergs nuke the ones that are closest. If they suddenly see a red person in the middle of their zerg this person will be focused by 40 people. Even with 4k armor and 25k hp you will not survive. Hence, melee is not viable in my pov in wvw.

Dodges back toward your zerg, Shelter, and Renewed Focus work wonders for returning back to your zerg. Also with ring of warding up and people running into it trying to chase you helps as well. Melee is extremely viable, you just have to play smart about it.

in Guardian

Sandra Martino.3870

You actually might pull it off yes. You do that, you make it back into your zerg and every utility+elite is on a long cooldown and you just stand there. Now what? you dance for 2 minuts and do it again and call that “viable” meleeing in wvw?

If that is how you like to play, be my guest. I prefer ranged capability.

in Guardian

Obtena.7952

Zergs don’t automatically target the closest players. Facing, lack of assist function, mobility all prevent any particular individual from being focused by the whole zerg. Even a team on voice chat might have a problem focusing a single player.

I don’t believe it’s a realistic approach to try to make a profession into something it isn’t. If Guardians are poor at range and more than capable at melee BY DESIGN, there isn’t really a compelling argument to change it. If you prefer ranged capability AND the Guardian profession, you recognize the shortcomings of your choices. If being ranged in WvW is more important then the conceptual shortcomings of a profession, you have the choice to play other professions.

(edited by Obtena.7952)

in Guardian

Setun.4368

You actually might pull it off yes. You do that, you make it back into your zerg and every utility+elite is on a long cooldown and you just stand there. Now what? you dance for 2 minuts and do it again and call that “viable” meleeing in wvw?

If that is how you like to play, be my guest. I prefer ranged capability.

To clarify I don’t do that move set willy-nilly in a zerg. You have to wait for the best moment to strike (like anything else in this game.) Also every time I jump in and wall in people in the ring, a good amount of people from my zerg will take notice and begin aoe-dumping that area, or moving in to melee range themselves, thus taking pressure off you. The heal / invuln combo I mentioned is just a means of guarenteeing escape 90% of the time. If ranged is that important to you then perhaps this profession isn’t what you thought it was.

in Guardian

Posted by: Lalnuir.4957

Lalnuir.4957

There are 2 zergs in front of each other. You run in to melee the enemy, you die. Or…. you would have ranged viability to stand in your own zerg and nuke the other zerg from a distance like everyone else.

And to the one claiming he pushes other zergs all of the time: wrong, if your not in for continuously suicidal leaps, you simply don’t :P

If your zerg is sitting back at 1200 range too afraid then push then you have an unorganized zerg and/or a bad commander and this is why I said if you want to run melee then join a decent WvW guild. Pushing trumps sitting back 9 times out of 10.

in Guardian

Posted by: Yamsandjams.3267

Yamsandjams.3267

I still use the scepter on my support guardian. The immobilize can be pretty useful, and smite lets you attack people on walls. It’s maybe not that great for open field combat, but I don’t believe that everything needs to be great for every situation. I can see how it would not be very appealing if you are offensive spec’ced though.

in Guardian

Setun.4368

I still use the scepter on my support guardian. The immobilize can be pretty useful, and smite lets you attack people on walls. It’s maybe not that great for open field combat, but I don’t believe that everything needs to be great for every situation. I can see how it would not be very appealing if you are offensive spec’ced though.

Works fine on a offensive spec as well (3400 attack w/ 30% crit chance on my Guardian.) I use it as a combo creator using the immobilize as my opener, with smite and cleansing flame (torch #5) cast back to back while the person is immobilized. The numbers that fly up are wonderful.

in Guardian

Posted by: eldain stenlund.4306

eldain stenlund.4306

Making ranged better is easy.. just fix the now slow scepter.
Make faster movement speed on the energyballs it cast.

very simple fix to a start in the right direction.

(Its a fix that should take like 2 min to fix, if even that).

“guy sit down at computer…
look for class database – find guardian class – weapon sets – scepter –
scroll and find Autoattack – scroll to find energyball movement speed – increase value – save – done”.

(edited by eldain stenlund.4306)

in Guardian

Sandra Martino.3870

Agreed eldain, a simple fix like would not make us “Great” at ranged combat, it would however make us viable at the least. Is it so much to ask?

in Guardian

Posted by: Tyber Valens.5148

Tyber Valens.5148

To the OP. I think the reason why this topic sank is because of the devs. It has been made abundantly clear that the guardian class will not be affective damage dealers at range. Besides, look at all the patch notes. Update after update has seen nerfs to the class with the intent of forcing into only a few viable builds/roles. With the latest patch preview in our boon builds will get a indirect nerf.

Its not surprising that folks have quit the class or the game entirely.

Templar Valens – Human – Guardian
Server: Maguuma

in Guardian

Sandra Martino.3870

If you prefer ranged capability AND the Guardian profession, you recognize the shortcomings of your choices. If being ranged in WvW is more important then the conceptual shortcomings of a profession, you have the choice to play other professions.

This is the problem, Guild wars 2 does not have a holy trinity. This means every class must be viable at any given department. If not, it shuts a class down or have them at a severely disadvantage. Your argument of having the choice to play another profession goes null here since every profession should be viable be it ranged be it melee.

in Guardian

Posted by: eldain stenlund.4306

eldain stenlund.4306

This is the problem, Guild wars 2 does not have a holy trinity. This means every class must be viable at any given department. If not, it shuts a class down or have them at a severely disadvantage. Your argument of having the choice to play another profession goes null here since every profession should be viable be it ranged be it melee.

what i have said also, over and over. A-net have painted themself into a corner.

They dont want people to be able to specialize too deep.
dmg/ tank / healing. You should play all in one.

And at same time, they dont give everything available to all classes.
As that whould just make 1 class. and one class whould be kinda boring.

SO.
They dont want trinity. And they dont want everyone to be able to do everything.
so… What do they realy want.??

Simply put: They have created a big mess. And now they dont know how to solve it.

in Guardian

Obtena.7952

If you prefer ranged capability AND the Guardian profession, you recognize the shortcomings of your choices. If being ranged in WvW is more important then the conceptual shortcomings of a profession, you have the choice to play other professions.

‘Ranged offense’ is not a defining member of that trinity so this association doesn’t make sense. Therefore, Anet’s approach to no holy trinity does not dictate Guardians should get improvements in ranged capability.

The argument of choice is very fundamental here. Again, if these restrictions are by design, then your options are available and you choose the ones that fit how you wish to play. There is no argument to claim it needs improvement if there are other choices and Guardians are capable of fulfilling their profession definition.

(edited by Obtena.7952)

in Guardian

Sandra Martino.3870

Yea, although its not about creating homogenization among all classes. Its simply making them viable in all fields. As it stands now we have 2 exceptions, engineers seem to lack in melee and guardians seem to lack in ranged. (not sure about engineers after their massive buffs tough)

in Guardian

Obtena.7952

There is no rules that say they should be viable in all field. That is determined by Anet devs that develop the concepts for the professions. No holy trinity model does not automatically indicate every class should be capable in any role players define for them.

(edited by Obtena.7952)

in Guardian

Posted by: wish.1027

wish.1027

Speaking as someone playing on T1 server, pretty much every ZvZ fight involves more than 80 people, and I have 0 problems running through the enemy zerg and tagging them all with my staff for crazy amounts of loot bags and owning them in the face. I also always charge in first (unless Im running slow and everyone is way ahead of me.) Im also pretty much the last one to die if we get wiped. I think this is just a L2 kitten ue with you guys. That or your servers zergs dont crash into each other and fight, they just try to stand back and shoot each other to death, which is terrible and bad. But hey, if thats whats happening on your server, you could completely change the meta and own everyone by getting 10-15 guardians and warriors and just charging them and smashing them. Youd be amazed how fast a team of 30 ranged characters dies to 10-15 tanky melees.

Here’s a video to show what Im talking about, its not me, but it is my server, and it is a guardian.
http://youtu.be/jDJ31YLVhM0

The trick to living is running around enemy fields on the ground, and getting behind the front line. Once youre in the middle of them youre pretty safe.

Jade Quarry Warrior Strike Force [SF]
w/ an alt Thief and Guardian.
Math is your friend.