Off-hand Sword

Off-hand Sword

in Guardian

Posted by: TriggerSad.2597

TriggerSad.2597

I was wondering how an off-hand sword would work on a guardian, if we ever got access to one. Personally, I wouldn’t mind seeing something like this:

Skill 4a: Zealous Retreat – Block the next attack. If blocked, the user is teleported away blinding nearby foes.
Skill 4b: Holy Slash – The user swings their sword in an arch, inflicting weakness onto the foes it hits.

Skill 5: Wrathful Wave – The user spins around once, striking each foe with greater intensity as he spins.

IGN: Despada
Guild: I Can Outtweet A Centaur [TWIT]
Twitter: https://twitter.com/TriggerSad

Off-hand Sword

in Guardian

Posted by: Celestina.2894

Celestina.2894

For some reason I find the idea of a Guardian dual wielding a bit odd……….not sure why I do really, it would be cool, but the image I have in my head is odd.

Anyways, I do like the idea of Zealous Retreat.

Off-hand Sword

in Guardian

Posted by: Bash.7291

Bash.7291

As much as I would love off-hand sword, it just does not really fit the whole devout psuedo-holy warrior concept of gaurdian. Also, i dont think either skill would really work, as the last thing we need is more defensive abilities, and also 2/3 of our offhands are more defensive in nature anyways.

Living Dead Girl ~ Necro
[Rev]

Off-hand Sword

in Guardian

Posted by: Lonewolf Kai.3682

Lonewolf Kai.3682

Yes please to an off hand sword!

I think it would be good as an alternate offensive weapon to torch as the rest of our offhands are defensive. I’d personally liked to see some of that Torment condition on it and a crippler.

@Bash, why would it not fit the concept? If you think it’s cause they need a shield or defensive off hand only (focus), there’s plenty of shieldless examples in other games. Following these stereotype, a GS and Sword/Sword on Mesmers don’t make sense either, yet, there they are.

“Be like water” – Bruce Lee

Off-hand Sword

in Guardian

Posted by: Parthis.2091

Parthis.2091

If it ever happens i’d like an offensive off-hand sword.

4a. Symbol of Judgement. Places a symbol on the ground, applying weakness to foes for 5 seconds.
4b. Pass Judgement. Detonates the symbol, dealing damage and stunning any foe inflicted with weakness for 1 second.
5. Impale your target, immobilising them for 2 seconds and dealing damage. Damage is scale up the further away your target is. a gap closer of sorts, and a situational nuke against runners.

Commander Amayasu Gerani, Guardian.
Leader of [JDGE] on Gandara EU.
A GW2 API for Objective-C – http://tinyurl.com/durmandpriory

Off-hand Sword

in Guardian

Posted by: Silv.9207

Silv.9207

I want a Main hand shield
Double Shield!

Off-hand Sword

in Guardian

Posted by: Guyver.1426

Guyver.1426

Yes please to an off hand sword!

@Bash, why would it not fit the concept? If you think it’s cause they need a shield or defensive off hand only (focus), there’s plenty of shieldless examples in other games. Following these stereotype, a GS and Sword/Sword on Mesmers don’t make sense either, yet, there they are.

Totally agree with this. Why mesmer can equip GS and S/S?

IMO the style of guardian does not match to focus. The main hand sword is still lack of symbol skill, we should have this by off hand sword.

(edited by Guyver.1426)

Off-hand Sword

in Guardian

Posted by: Bash.7291

Bash.7291

@lonewolf: I said right in my post that I would prefer an offensive offhand over another defensive offhand (which the OP suggest for offhand sword skills) so not sure why you think I want them to require only defensive ones.

I would honestly love for them to make spear an actual land weapon as well personally. Not the same exact skill set, but in general, just because I feel it fits the class better (being that is is pretty much a monk/paragon combination)

As for Mesmers, Sword I can see, being a fluid magic class that does not rely on straight casting, GS I never thought made sense in the least bit, and I am still not sure why they included it other than “well, we really do not have anything else that makes sense as a 2h.”

Living Dead Girl ~ Necro
[Rev]

Off-hand Sword

in Guardian

Posted by: CptAurellian.9537

CptAurellian.9537

Well, I wouldn’t mind another offhand weapon, especially an offensive one since I don’t like the torch very much. So the sword would be a good choice for that purpose, because it would fit the image of a zealot, which is part of the class. However, I fear that another offensive offhand might have one of two consequences: Either it will be more or less useless or, if it is actually useful, it will probably make the offensive guardian pretty overpowered (at least in PvE).

Warning! This post may contain traces of irony, sarcasm and peanuts.

There is no loyalty without betrayal. -Ann Smiley

Off-hand Sword

in Guardian

Posted by: Rasp Sabreblade.5421

Rasp Sabreblade.5421

Not to derail you post, but I think a off-hand offensive mace would be better suited for the guardian. something like a ground smash to send foes flying and teleport to foe healing allies and burning foes in a 240 area around you

Off-hand Sword

in Guardian

Posted by: PokerTuna.6170

PokerTuna.6170

Give us flails!

Off-hand Sword

in Guardian

Lonewolf Kai.3682

Geez people with the off topic posts. make your own! This is about off hand swords, not off hand X and you fill in the blank.

/rant off.

@Bash, sorry, my reading comprehension skills was lacking aparently. I see what you mean now about the offensive side for a new offhand.

@CptAurellian, yes and no, but I think putting Torment and a crippler/chiller/immobiler, etc. would make perfect sense for this class, and what better way than to put it on an offhand sword?

Off-hand Sword

in Guardian

Posted by: Blasino.3128

Blasino.3128

If I suggested an off-hand greatsword is that ok? A greatsword is a sword!

And who wouldn’t to wield two greatswords!

Uturunku Yana, Guardian / Chullachaqui Yana, Engie
Group Stability is a hell of a Drug – Rick James
vT

Off-hand Sword

in Guardian

Lonewolf Kai.3682

If I suggested an off-hand greatsword is that ok? A greatsword is a sword!

And who wouldn’t to wield two greatswords!

Ooooooooo yeah!

Off-hand Sword

in Guardian

Posted by: Wolfheart.1938

Wolfheart.1938

Main hand shield, make it happen Anet!!!!

“We have no first-person view because stupid people would lock into it”
“You can’t have more than 10 HS decks because that would confuse people”
“30 fps is more cinematic”

Off-hand Sword

in Guardian

Lonewolf Kai.3682

Off topic post is off topic. /eyeroll

Off-hand Sword

in Guardian

Posted by: TheOneNOnlyGeneralBama.9586

TheOneNOnlyGeneralBama.9586

When do you guys think the SAB skins will skyrocket in price?

I never expect to lose. Even when I’m the Engineer , I still prepare a victory speech.

Off-hand Sword

in Guardian

Posted by: Like Forty Seven Ninjas.6982

Like Forty Seven Ninjas.6982

I think an offhand mace would serve the guardian better than an offhand sword.

DH Yak’s Bend – Perfect Dark [PD]
Dr Hoppenheimer – Engi / Meowzir – Guard /
Mulcibur Nox – Ele / Mr Directed – Mes

Off-hand Sword

in Guardian

Posted by: tigrebianca.9728

tigrebianca.9728

I think guardian as well as other classes should be able to use sword off-hand. Though I love using torch, I would gladly give up it for a sword. Guards already have enough defensive abilities and skills.

Off-hand Sword

in Guardian

Posted by: Kukchi.6173

Kukchi.6173

Then you are a warrior.

Human thief lvl 80 pistol dagger pistol sword cheese extreme.
Anet fix thief plz its boring now :(

Off-hand Sword

in Guardian

Posted by: Fairymore.8609

Fairymore.8609

Skill 4a: Zealous Retreat – Block the next attack. If blocked, the user is teleported away blinding nearby foes.
Skill 5: Wrathful Wave – The user spins around once, striking each foe with greater intensity as he spins.

I always support more weapons for any class. I especially like the idea of Zealous Retreat but I do remember some Devs in a video explaining they purposefully have given Guardians several ways to jump into a fight but not out of one.

It must be one of their philosophies for the class which I don’t mind calling stupid. Mobility is King in this game, what good is a philosophy if its not practical.

Off-hand Sword

in Guardian

Posted by: Axxo.7430

Axxo.7430

I would prefer an off-hand mace with skills like a single target pull (900 range) to the guardian and a spin attacks with extendible mace-heads animation.

Axxo “The Hex Guardian” – SoS

Off-hand Sword

in Guardian

Posted by: akamon.2769

akamon.2769

^^ that would be kind of cool. an offhand mace could include a skill that pulls with an animation like a flail, you’re saying

buuuuuuuut back on topic. ; )) i too wouldn’t mind a more offensive offhand sword. and defs wouldn’t mind a symbol for the s/s. so mace not being the only option for symbols when going 1h or RHS. i can see it, the Guardian gripping both swords and stabbing them into the ground for a symbol. it could tick burns instead and maybe give 1s fury ticks since our other symbols give defensive boons and we don’t have a lot of access to fury. breaking the mould, but hey.

Akaimon | Jolly Good Guardian
Akaigi | Warrior Made of Wood
[CDS] – Sanctum of Rall

Off-hand Sword

in Guardian

Lonewolf Kai.3682

^^ that would be kind of cool. an offhand mace could include a skill that pulls with an animation like a flail, you’re saying

buuuuuuuut back on topic. ; )) i too wouldn’t mind a more offensive offhand sword. and defs wouldn’t mind a symbol for the s/s. so mace not being the only option for symbols when going 1h or RHS. i can see it, the Guardian gripping both swords and stabbing them into the ground for a symbol. it could tick burns instead and maybe give 1s fury ticks since our other symbols give defensive boons and we don’t have a lot of access to fury. breaking the mould, but hey.

That would be sort of like the GS #4 anim. I like it! Very nice idea!

Off-hand Sword

in Guardian

Posted by: Celestina.2894

Celestina.2894

Then you are a warrior.

Tbh I’m not entirely convinced warrior and guardian were originally meant to be different classes.

Off-hand Sword

in Guardian

Posted by: Zuer.2814

Zuer.2814

I could see a guardian using an offhand mace over an offhand sword. Dual maces seems like it would fit but dual swords doesn’t seem right.

Zuer
Maguuma
[AON]

Off-hand Sword

in Guardian

TriggerSad.2597

As much as I would love off-hand sword, it just does not really fit the whole devout psuedo-holy warrior concept of gaurdian. Also, i dont think either skill would really work, as the last thing we need is more defensive abilities, and also 2/3 of our offhands are more defensive in nature anyways.

I can see where you’re coming from with this, but the guardian also has the ability to become a zealot, which has some connotations to being very offensive oriented. The idea of a s/s guardian would fit then. And I agree that an off-hand sword would need to be more offensive, I just like the idea of a guardian that can teleport in and out of battle (I’m a meditations guardian, so I LOVE the zipping all over the place).

Double Shield!

lol This post brings me back to when the guardian had been revealed yet, and people had dubbed it the BML (Blue Mace Lady, and this was due to the only concept art that we had of it being a female humanoid wielding a mace and shield). Dual-wielding shields does sound like a lot of fun!!

I always support more weapons for any class. I especially like the idea of Zealous Retreat but I do remember some Devs in a video explaining they purposefully have given Guardians several ways to jump into a fight but not out of one.

It must be one of their philosophies for the class which I don’t mind calling stupid. Mobility is King in this game, what good is a philosophy if its not practical.

I actually forgot about that!! Yeah… Guess a skill that has you leaving the battlefield as opposed to staying in the fray isn’t very guardian-like…

I would prefer an off-hand mace with skills like a single target pull (900 range) to the guardian and a spin attacks with extendible mace-heads animation.

I like the idea of an off-hand mace too! Though I’d personally see it as a pure defense melee weapons to help synergies with the main-hand mace, while giving the sword a better melee companion. Focus works well, but it can easily be used offensively while in a fight, and shield… I’ve always seen shield as a more ranged defense/support off-hand.

Off-hand Sword

in Guardian

Posted by: Parktou.4263

Parktou.4263

OH mace would be preferable, add a symbol making symbol builds more effective as they are somewhat lacking atm.

Shocking Shorty-Asura Tempest | Magnificent Mike-Troll Warrior | Lockpick Louie- Human Daredevil
Fabio Feline- Charr DH | Viktor Virtuoso-Norn Reaper | Pocket Prestige-Asura Chrono
Killer Kasserole-Plant Druid | Frankie Feline-Cat Scrapper | Felix Feline-Charr Herald

Off-hand Sword

in Guardian

Posted by: CptAurellian.9537

CptAurellian.9537

Bad idea, imho. As long as the mainhand mace can create a symbol, no offhand weapon should have its own one. Rather make the symbols themselves more interesting and give some to the weapons lacking it, but don’t give two symbols to a single wepon set.

Warning! This post may contain traces of irony, sarcasm and peanuts.

There is no loyalty without betrayal. -Ann Smiley

Off-hand Sword

in Guardian

Posted by: JaNordy.6149

JaNordy.6149

Guard really could use a DPS offhand. Torch is just awful with its long channel and being mostly condition based. Focus shield burst is ok but focus was clearly ment to be more defensive.

Off-hand Sword

in Guardian

Blasino.3128

Combine the off-hand sword with a sword and do Darth Maul crap!

vT

Off-hand Sword

in Guardian

TriggerSad.2597

I just came up with another possible skill for the off-hand sword!
I don’t have a name for it, but I do have its functionality;
Become a beam of light and shoot yourself to target foe, dealing damage to other foes you pass.
It could have a blast finisher at the end when it stops at the target. Yes? No?

Off-hand Sword

in Guardian

Lonewolf Kai.3682

Definately yes!

Off-hand Sword

in Guardian

Posted by: Pleurodesed.7625

Pleurodesed.7625

I don’t like this idea. As a cleric I don’t think it suits the class.
Mace and shield 100% cleric. Hammer still fine since blunt weapon. Greatsword… not really; but can pass as some sort of paladin. Sword and torch is also acceptable as it looks like a zealot. Focus also suits the cleric.
But anything ranging dual weilding, battleaxes, axes, warhorns, longbows, daggers and simillar just doesn’t fit.

Off-hand Sword

in Guardian

Posted by: Kjeldoran.3849

Kjeldoran.3849

Double Shield!

ahahahah your are a great.
I also suggest a 2 hand shield! for a big defense!

Off-hand Sword

in Guardian

Lonewolf Kai.3682

Mace and shield 100% cleric. Hammer still fine since blunt weapon. Greatsword… not really; but can pass as some sort of paladin. Sword and torch is also acceptable as it looks like a zealot. Focus also suits the cleric.
But anything ranging dual weilding, battleaxes, axes, warhorns, longbows, daggers and simillar just doesn’t fit.

Errmmmm….. Wrong game bub.

D&D is that way —-—>

Off-hand Sword

in Guardian

Posted by: Melkiador.9134

Melkiador.9134

I think a sword offhand should be more offensive/movement-based.

A mace offhand should be more defensive/healing based.

What would be really interesting would be if we got axes. I think that would be more condition based.

The only weapon that feels un-guardian to me is daggers, but I’m sure somebody could make an argument for that.

Off-hand Sword

in Guardian

TriggerSad.2597

A dual-sword guardian can fit the zealot look too imo.
Though there are professions in this game that wield weapons that most people would do a double take when seeing them in action; see Greatsword mesmers.
Still, they’re in the game and ArenaNet can make them work as I’m sure they’ll be able to pull off an off-hand sword for the guardian.

(edited by TriggerSad.2597)

Off-hand Sword

in Guardian

Posted by: Charak.9761

Charak.9761

Shield Main Hand, sword off-hand

Off-hand Sword

in Guardian

Posted by: Lord Trejgon.2809

Lord Trejgon.2809

1a. bash Your foe, You have 20% chance to daze
1b.cut Yourfoe with the edge oh the shield it inflict burn
1c.bash Your foe once again gaining protection
2. charge to you foe with a powerfull shield bash stunning them
3. hide behind Your shield blocking any incoming atack – if atack is blocked burn the atacker

so we have a skills we can have now shield mainhand
then just ask for sword off-hand and we can be leftsided guardians

“-Shield is meant to be broken!”
“-and on this occasion I keep mine plate armors”
discussion about offensive/deffensive playstyles

Off-hand Sword

in Guardian

Blasino.3128

…..

so we have a skills we can have now shield mainhand
then just ask for sword off-hand and we can be leftsided guardians

Haha I love it. Left-handed guardians!

vT

Off-hand Sword

in Guardian

Blasino.3128

I think an off-hand sword would serve as a good offensive support off-hand. This is something I think we lack.

Attack 4: Righteous Slash: Teleports to target, attacks (0.2 coefficient) applies 5 stacks of vulnerability for 10 seconds. 20 second coolodwn.
Attack 5: Furious Flames: AoE attack (1 coefficient) that can hit up to 5 enemies 600 ranged, apply 3 seconds of burning, and 5 seconds of fury on Allies. 35 second cooldown.

vT

Off-hand Sword

in Guardian

TriggerSad.2597

I think an off-hand sword would serve as a good offensive support off-hand. This is something I think we lack.

Attack 4: Righteous Slash: Teleports to target, attacks (0.2 coefficient) applies 5 stacks of vulnerability for 10 seconds. 20 second coolodwn.
Attack 5: Furious Flames: AoE attack (1 coefficient) that can hit up to 5 enemies 600 ranged, apply 3 seconds of burning, and 5 seconds of fury on Allies. 35 second cooldown.

I like the idea of Furious Flames, but I’m not really up for having the off-hand sword be a ranged weapon. I’d rather prefer it be treated as a pure melee weapon. I mean out other off-hands already have ranged based attacks: Focus has RoK, Shield has Shield of Judgment (though it is a rather short-range attack), and both of the torches skills offer ranged attacks.

Off-hand Sword

in Guardian

Posted by: Lord Trejgon.2809

Lord Trejgon.2809

I could take that if that would provide that self-blue-flaming efect like torch#4 skill

“-Shield is meant to be broken!”
“-and on this occasion I keep mine plate armors”
discussion about offensive/deffensive playstyles

Off-hand Sword

in Guardian

Posted by: yLoon.5289

yLoon.5289

Screw offhand sword.

Double Meteorlogist for the win! >)

12K AP
Level 54 Bear Rank