Patch for Spet 14th; Guardian changes

in Guardian

Posted by: Doxshund.9235

Doxshund.9235

Patch notes for September 14th

Guardian

• Mighty Blow: Added a slight movement distance.
  • Bow of Truth: Now usable while moving.
  • Defender’s Shield and Honorable Shield: Merged together into the same trait.
  • New trait Glacial Heart: Critical hits with a hammer have a 50% chance to chill your target for 4 seconds. This effect can only occur once every 45 seconds.
Asura > all

in Guardian

Posted by: Qelris.6901

Qelris.6901

What about Bow of Truth?? You couldn’t summon it while moving before?

As for Defender’S Shield +Honorable Shield, pretty nice. But I don’t think I’m willing to give up my 3 blocks from focus for that yet, in pve that is.

I’m only responsible for what I say, not for what you understand.

in Guardian

Posted by: Reihert.1509

Reihert.1509

In pve and pvp, focus is far better still.
Also, 45 sec cd on on that chill from hammer?
Far too long.
Hammer is still too slow and its damage isnt considerably higher to surpress a gs.

in Guardian

Posted by: Xalugami.2096

Xalugami.2096

I wonder if Glacial Heart will be on the Valor Trait line… Despite that long cool down, that sounds like something I should definitely snag as a Hammer user.

in Guardian

Posted by: nesadi.6190

nesadi.6190

I think it’s a fair assumption that Glacial Heart will be a Valor Major trait, since one of the Valor Major traits will be missing after the merge.

Still have to agree that focus is much better than shield, which is disappointing.

in Guardian

Posted by: Esorono.1039

Esorono.1039

I think it’s a fair assumption that Glacial Heart will be a Valor Major trait, since one of the Valor Major traits will be missing after the merge.

Still have to agree that focus is much better than shield, which is disappointing.

The shield does synergize well with scepter though. One of my favorite combinations is scepter/shield + sword/focus, it’s a great balance between offense and defense.

Playable Tengu please!

in Guardian

Posted by: Zizi.7860

Zizi.7860

Sigh. No wind-up reduction on the third combo swing… was hoping I’d be pulling that hammer out of my bag tomorrow. That’s literally the ONLY problem I have with using Hammers for any length of time.

in Guardian

Posted by: Ragnar the Rock.3174

Ragnar the Rock.3174

Far too long.
Hammer is still too slow and its damage isnt considerably higher to surpress a gs.

This ^.

They should have made it apply a 5 second cripple on critical hit with a 10 second cool down.

in Guardian

Posted by: Dietzen.6127

Dietzen.6127

Why wasn’t the leap distance on hammer made the same way as on the greatsword? To move to your targets location rather than going forward?

in Guardian

Posted by: Shimond.2478

Shimond.2478

Interesting, didn’t even think we needed the shield buff but I’ll take it.

in Guardian

Posted by: OmegaDestroyer.4782

OmegaDestroyer.4782

• New trait Glacial Heart: Critical hits with a hammer have a 50% chance to chill your target for 4 seconds. This effect can only occur once every 45 seconds.

45 seconds? Way too long of a cool-down to be a viable trait pick.

in Guardian

Posted by: D I V A.6018

D I V A.6018

This ^.

They should have made it apply a 5 second cripple on critical hit with a 10 second cool down.

I agree sooo much, while I agree that chilled fits better in the guardian concept, 45 second is just TOO much!!

the problem is, that Anet is extremely unlikely to take back this trait. Of course they have their own way of determing the usefulness of a newly implemented trait. (No idea how this testing is be done) And something or someone, even if we are talking about 5 people (or less) here was of the opinion that this trait is super.

I am yet to see any official statement about the trait changes. In GW1 Anet always said something about why they changed a certain mechanic. They seem to busy.

in Guardian

Esorono.1039

Interesting, didn’t even think we needed the shield buff but I’ll take it.

Weapon traits that reduce cooldown and something else are being merged often, I’m pretty sure over time all of them will be.

Playable Tengu please!

in Guardian

Posted by: kabaal.1832

kabaal.1832

They haven’t updated the tooltip for the combined traits, to someone only looking in game it just looks as though Defenders Shield has been removed and Glacial Heart added.

in Guardian

Shimond.2478

Weapon traits that reduce cooldown and something else are being merged often, I’m pretty sure over time all of them will be.

I think that’s probably fair, as there seems to be a lot of traits and having to decide on which, or take both, wasn’t a particularly fun choice to make. Personally, I always went with toughness.

in Guardian

Esorono.1039

I think that’s probably fair, as there seems to be a lot of traits and having to decide on which, or take both, wasn’t a particularly fun choice to make. Personally, I always went with toughness.

I always went with the cooldown since 90 toughness isn’t going to make as much of a difference to a regen/tough/vit guardian while a reduced cooldown to Shield of Judgement and Shield of Absorption gave more survivability. I still find it annoying that detonate doesn’t pop the bubble and stop the shielding animation yet however.

Playable Tengu please!

in Guardian

Posted by: SirMoogie.9263

SirMoogie.9263

Working as intended. It’s the control weapon for guardians, not their high direct damage weapon. Take a look at every other class, except necros, and you’ll see that they have a range of weapons that suit differing styles of play. The way the game is designed is not for you pick your weapon and then decide what you’ll do with it, it’s you pick what you want to do and then pick your weapon, utilities, and traits.

in Guardian

Posted by: Qelris.6901

Qelris.6901

Far too long.

I think it’s too short actually because it has a chance to proc every hit, unless it’s on cd. Chill is pretty decent, slowing by 66% both move speed and cd recharges. 4 seconds is near 3 seconds additional cd for foes. Compare it to other major traits that have a cd, hammer’s trait is the best of them. AoE Burn when you reach 25% HP? 60 seconds CD! Creates a Symbol of Wrath when you reach 25% HP? 30 seconds CD!

I wish Glacial Heart would be for the weapons I use.

I’m only responsible for what I say, not for what you understand.

in Guardian

Posted by: ShadowbaneX.6273

ShadowbaneX.6273

Two things about the Guardian, post this patch:

• Writ of Persistance and Writ of Exultation feel like they should be combined. Would that be too strong as a Tier 1 Trait?
  • Smite Condition really should be a Blast Combo Finisher.
Heroes of the Horn [HotH] – Yak’s Bend

in Guardian

Shimond.2478

Smite Condition is absolutely fine as is. Amazing skill.

in Guardian

Posted by: hauskamies.9683

hauskamies.9683

Shield with scepter is amazing. I have managed to neutralize/cap a node just because I could push the enemy away with the shield and then immobilize with the scepter.

in Guardian

Posted by: Rectifyer.1804

Rectifyer.1804

Working as intended. It’s the control weapon for guardians, not their high direct damage weapon. Take a look at every other class, except necros, and you’ll see that they have a range of weapons that suit differing styles of play. The way the game is designed is not for you pick your weapon and then decide what you’ll do with it, it’s you pick what you want to do and then pick your weapon, utilities, and traits.

Actually it isn’t working as intended. A red posted regarding the Hammer saying there are some quality of life changes coming to the hammer to make it more responsive and fluid to the player instead of being slow and clunky.

in Guardian

Posted by: Atlas.4509

Atlas.4509

I think these are the changes that were referred to

in Guardian

Posted by: Tinboy.7954

Tinboy.7954

Hammer is still not worth it imo. Only reason I see any real reason to use a hammer is for that chill since dps is lower than GS. Furthermore, it is too much to invest in the chill compared to other options. With a scepter/focus, I can immbolize the target for half the time and still be able to use the block on the focus. Not to mention I have to invest a ton of trait points to achieve this. Definitely not worth the investment.

in Guardian

Posted by: SirMoogie.9263

SirMoogie.9263

Actually it isn’t working as intended. A red posted regarding the Hammer saying there are some quality of life changes coming to the hammer to make it more responsive and fluid to the player instead of being slow and clunky.

Your post was comparing hammer dps to greatsword, not fluidity. Don’t shift the goal posts. I have no expectations that the hammer will equal or rival the greatsword when it comes to damage given its superior control options.

in Guardian

ShadowbaneX.6273

Yeah, and? I’m not saying it’s a bad skill, I’m saying (especially after seeing Arcane Wave) that it should be a Blast Combo Finisher. It changes nothing about the skill, just adds to it.

in Guardian

Shimond.2478

Yeah, and? I’m not saying it’s a bad skill, I’m saying (especially after seeing Arcane Wave) that it should be a Blast Combo Finisher. It changes nothing about the skill, just adds to it.

And we don’t need buffs ‘just cause’. Pick something that actually needs work if you’re going to have them spend time on the class. They’re not just going to say ‘oh yea lets just make that a blast finisher for the hell of it’.

In fact, are ANY utility skills for us finishers? I know elementalists get some from arcane. Doesn’t seem like our thing.

in Guardian

ShadowbaneX.6273

So because we have none, means we shouldn’t get any? I mean we’ve got combo fields in our Utilities, but we shouldn’t have finishers? I mean Warriors get Banners, Eles get Arcane Wave, Necros get Putrid Explosion & Necrotic Transversal and those are just the Blast finshers. There are others for the other finishers.

in Guardian

Shimond.2478

eh it’s up to the devs, I just don’t see them making a change like that. It isn’t needed. If you want a blast finisher that’s what the hammer is for.

in Guardian

Posted by: Draeka.5941

Draeka.5941

I think these are the changes that were referred to

Doubtful, since the thread was about the actual hammer abilities, and not traits. I think this was done as a stopgap, giving the shield a bit of a boost while giving hammer users a nice perk for now. It’s not like the 2nd tier of Valor is that good, anyway (imo).

I don’t think, given the criticism of the hammer in the guardian community, that Anet would have this fast of a turnaround on hammer and only give us this. It doesn’t address anything that holds the hammer back from being a go-to weapon for guardians. I think the timer needs to be lowered to ~30s, though…45 seems meaningless when you consider how easy it is to remove conditions at times. I’d rather have a hammer crit create a glacial field to combo through, and not simply add a freeze condition. Or, a new symbol that causes slow inside of it, mayhaps? =p