Permeating Wrath: Does anyone use this?

in Guardian

Posted by: Irikol.3495

Irikol.3495

So after a lot of trial and error that ended in failure, and asking around at a few guardian friends in-game (who surprisingly didn’t even know what trait I was talking about!) I wanted to know if anyone has any builds that are based around, utilize, or incorporate Permeating Wrath & if not, why not? I’ed also love to know if there are any suggestions anyone might have that would make this trait more useful in the future?

My own belief is that it simply is to far away in the zeal trait-line to get a good ratio of actual DPS and burning effect out of it without losing some other massively useful trait.

What’s yours?

Virtue of Justice’s passive effect no longer burns your target, but instead burns the area around you each time it activates.

Burning.png Burning: 1 s (328 damage)
Miscellaneous effect.png Number of Targets: 5
Radius.png Radius: 240

in Guardian

Posted by: Cat Has Ducks.1982

Cat Has Ducks.1982

Are we talking about a dungeon/fractal build? Or some kind of pvp/wvw burning centric build? If its the former, then the answer is quite simple. The trait is trash, and its a slap in the face that it is a grand master trait. Burning 5 targets for 1 second with pathetic damage? You only should go 25 deep into that line for condi clease/extra damage per boon.

Not really sure what else to say. The trait is just so lack luster, that I can easily find other places for those 5 points.

Lord Chuck I – Guardian
Chuck The Stampede – Engineer
[Lg] Agatha – Dragonbrand

in Guardian

Posted by: Amins.3710

Amins.3710

Actually, I use it quite a bit in a build that’s based off of Christo’s ‘Healway’.

10/0/0/30/30. Celestial. =]

Amins – Guardian
Gameplay Video’s & Forum Post

in Guardian

Posted by: ArchonWing.9480

ArchonWing.9480

That is definitely not worth a grandmaster trait with that tiny radius and it’s competing with a lot of traits in virtues. Burning is only good for Fiery Wrath and/or Radiant Power but if it’s only one second then there’s just little you can do.

You could accomplish the same effect with purging flames.

For once you have tasted flight you will walk the earth with your eyes turned skywards,
for there you have been and there you will long to return.

(edited by ArchonWing.9480)

in Guardian

Posted by: Obtena.7952

Obtena.7952

Check out the sticked thread. It’s covered quite well there. Permeating Wrath is not for the uninitiated in WvW. It has little value outside of that game element.

in Guardian

Posted by: Irikol.3495

Irikol.3495

Check out the sticked thread. It’s covered quite well there. Permeating Wrath is not for the uninitiated in WvW. It has little value outside of that game element.

I Checked out what you said, It seems that this is indeed covering a bit of what I wanted to talk about, though I am still curious if anyone had any suggestions as to where it could be moved to, what people could build if it WAS moved?

I like the Idea of AoE fire boon removal when combined with out talents, but even that seems.. Limited in scope.

in Guardian

Posted by: Obtena.7952

Obtena.7952

I don’t think it should be GM. I can honestly see it as an Adept since the effect is pretty weak (it only affects passive VoJ and even @ 1 second, it’s not very noteworthy).

Frankly useless in PVE. I’ve had some success in a WvW build using it, but probably only since no one really knows what to do with a Guardian that burns them constantly.

(edited by Obtena.7952)

in Guardian

Posted by: Morelia.6835

Morelia.6835

Tried it a bit in WvW last week. Simply put: it’s terrible and only does anything at all in ideal situations. There are plenty of ways to more effectively apply Burning without giving up a lot of rune slots and trait points.

in Guardian

Posted by: fadeaway.2807

fadeaway.2807

1 sec of burning damage to five targets in perfect positioning instead of 1 sec of burning damage to one target isn’t enough for anyone to care about, especially for a GM trait. The final nail in the coffin is that your staff #1 will hit harder than the burning damage anyway.

in Guardian

Posted by: foofad.5162

foofad.5162

I use it in dungeons, and not in WvW. It’s pretty bad in WvW, but with high AoE builds it can be pretty awesome. Infinite burning on as many enemies as you can find. I use this guy or some variation thereof (I swap things out constantly). Between two symbols, in crowded PvE encounters you can put out an incredible volume of burning. The AoE on it is not insignificant, it has the same range as Purging Flames, 240.

It works well with any weapon that can consistently hit lots of targets many times in as short a time frame as possible. Greatsword and any weapon with a symbol are good.

Eilir Eirasdottir, Guardian, Tarnished Coast
Painbow.6059: Ignore what anyone else who doesn’t agree with me has said because its wrong.

in Guardian

Posted by: Cat Has Ducks.1982

Cat Has Ducks.1982

I use it in dungeons, and not in WvW. It’s pretty bad in WvW, but with high AoE builds it can be pretty awesome. Infinite burning on as many enemies as you can find. I use this guy or some variation thereof (I swap things out constantly). Between two symbols, in crowded PvE encounters you can put out an incredible volume of burning. The AoE on it is not insignificant, it has the same range as Purging Flames, 240.

It works well with any weapon that can consistently hit lots of targets many times in as short a time frame as possible. Greatsword and any weapon with a symbol are good.

I think you linked the wrong build. You have some kind of wet noodle cleric build. Where is your dungeon build?

Lord Chuck I – Guardian
Chuck The Stampede – Engineer
[Lg] Agatha – Dragonbrand

in Guardian

Posted by: Morelia.6835

Morelia.6835

The problem I see in dungeons is that it does absolutely nothing against bosses or smaller pulls.

in Guardian

Posted by: foofad.5162

foofad.5162

I think you linked the wrong build. You have some kind of wet noodle cleric build. Where is your dungeon build?

That is my dungeon build ;P I pug with it, help people finish their storymodes, etc etc. It’s a lot more fun than zerking. Don’t get me wrong, I have my mandatory meta 6k effective power whatever builds too but this is way more entertaining.

It’s also not as bad as it may seem, damage wise. I use different consumables than I linked typically – I get about 60% of a full zerk 10/30/0/30/0’s dps with some minor changes to which traits I pick.

The problem I see in dungeons is that it does absolutely nothing against bosses or smaller pulls.

Correct, but if you cared about that you wouldn’t be 30 deep in Virtues.

Eilir Eirasdottir, Guardian, Tarnished Coast
Painbow.6059: Ignore what anyone else who doesn’t agree with me has said because its wrong.

(edited by foofad.5162)

in Guardian

Posted by: Mightymealworm.8409

Mightymealworm.8409

Worked great in scarlet invasions and mad kings labyrinth. Haven’t tried new patch yet, might be nice there too.

in Guardian

Posted by: akamon.2769

akamon.2769

random thoughts.. if they lowered or changed the effectiveness of searing flames (remove one condition when you burn foe). then paired it up with supreme justice. this could be decent for AoE boon stripping in WvW situations. you’ll just have to find a way to sustain or not do much damage. as it stands…

the fact that it is a grandmaster trait is the only allure it has as a GM trait for me. does that make sense? when in actual fact i feel it could maybe be a master trait tops.

Akaimon | Jolly Good Guardian
Akaigi | Warrior Made of Wood
[CDS] – Sanctum of Rall

in Guardian

Posted by: Aza.2105

Aza.2105

random thoughts.. if they lowered or changed the effectiveness of searing flames (remove one condition when you burn foe). then paired it up with supreme justice. this could be decent for AoE boon stripping in WvW situations. you’ll just have to find a way to sustain or not do much damage. as it stands…

the fact that it is a grandmaster trait is the only allure it has as a GM trait for me. does that make sense? when in actual fact i feel it could maybe be a master trait tops.

I think it would be worth being a GM trait if the it turned voj into a aoe around your target instead of the caster.

Amd Ryzen 1800x – Amd Fury X -64GB of ram
Windows 10

in Guardian

Posted by: akamon.2769

akamon.2769

and yes, good point, Aza. to me it always made sense that it shoulda have been that way. that would add quite a bit of utility to the Guardian class. as it stands, it’s melee or “waste” of a trait, almost.

Akaimon | Jolly Good Guardian
Akaigi | Warrior Made of Wood
[CDS] – Sanctum of Rall

in Guardian

Posted by: Relentliss.2170

Relentliss.2170

Should combine it with the other trait then people might look at it.

Would make a decent GM trait for Zeal as well if combined with the other

We don’t need to make mandatory gear treadmills, we make all of it optional

Anet lied (where’s the Manifesto now?)

in Guardian

Posted by: Arthos Ravron.3796

Arthos Ravron.3796

Should combine it with the other trait then people might look at it.

Would make a decent GM trait for Zeal as well if combined with the other

Supreme Justice and Permeating Wrath.

And with the upcoming buff to Supreme Justice, If combined, t may actually become useful.

Commander of FoW, Lieutenant of [AKP], and Proud Human and Guardian

“Humanity cannot grasp Utopia for it refuses to be worthy of it”

in Guardian

Posted by: Aza.2105

Aza.2105

and yes, good point, Aza. to me it always made sense that it shoulda have been that way. that would add quite a bit of utility to the Guardian class. as it stands, it’s melee or “waste” of a trait, almost.

I forgot to add, it would require permeating wrath to apply to the active portion of voj too. When the game first came out and I was trying experimenting with new builds, I was surprised that permeating wrath only worked around the caster and it didn’t work when activating voj.

Currently for what it does, its not worth it. It changes voj from a single target, ranged skill into a pbaoe. So you are just trading one thing for another, instead of enhancing it. It definitely should be a adept trait unless they change it.

Amd Ryzen 1800x – Amd Fury X -64GB of ram
Windows 10