Purification

Purification

in Guardian

Posted by: nearlight.3064

nearlight.3064

Q:

Too busy to go test this, but does this skill heal allies with the active? I’m pretty sure it doesn’t since the tooltip doesn’t indicate it. Someone told me that dragonhunter does better group healing than a druid because of a skill, and I just need to gather some evidence to lay down some cold, hard, truth.

Necromancer Main
Taking a break from GW2 to play various
Nintendo games..

Purification

in Guardian

Posted by: Karl McLain

Karl McLain

Game Designer

Next

A:

This trap applies healing and regeneration to the guardian only, but blind to all enemies in the trap’s radius. The guardian’s position when the trap triggers doesn’t matter.

Purification

in Guardian

nearlight.3064

Thank you Karl I can go prove to my friend that I was right now!

And nice work on dragonhunter and tempest by the way. I’ve been having the more fun with ele/guard these past few days than I have been in the past few years!

Necromancer Main
Nintendo games..

Purification

in Guardian

Posted by: Ragnarox.9601

Ragnarox.9601

If you bring it down to 16 sec traited and curing 1 condition ppl might use it over Shelter.

Purification

in Guardian

Posted by: Asmodal.6489

Asmodal.6489

If you bring it down to 16 sec traited and curing 1 condition ppl might use it over Shelter.

I use it constantly at the momentin pve since the heal + blind + daze is just to good when fighting multiple enemies. its my heal of choice when soloing heropoints.

Purification

in Guardian

nearlight.3064

Nah, this trap is fine where its at. it heals you like 9K total, thats twice as much as shelter with no healing power, the trap is perfectly competitive with shelter.

Necromancer Main
Nintendo games..

Purification

in Guardian

Posted by: Arken.3725

Arken.3725

I take it over shelter already. It’s an amazing heal. People really should give it more credit.

Purification

in Guardian

Ragnarox.9601

I take it over shelter already. It’s an amazing heal. People really should give it more credit.

Nah shelter is too good to be replaced, block is needed in pvp.

Purification

in Guardian

Posted by: Soryuju.8164

Soryuju.8164

My main concern with using it is that enemies still have to trigger it for you to get the main benefit. Doesn’t this create situations where opponents can deny you the bulk of your heal by pressuring you from range, or by pushing the fight away from the Trap via kiting/CC? The animation for setting Traps is pretty obvious (when they have a cast time, that is), and even after just a few days, I’ve learned to spot it and keep away from the place where the Trap goes down.

I do see how an AoE Blind/Daze combo on a 24 second cooldown could compete with Shelter, but I would feel a lot more comfortable using it if the bulk of the healing occurred when you set the Trap, rather than when it activated (like the Ranger’s Healing Spring). I’d settle for less overall healing if the heal was harder to disrupt.

Purification

in Guardian

Posted by: Turtle Dragon.9241

Turtle Dragon.9241

My main concern with using it is that enemies still have to trigger it for you to get the main benefit. Doesn’t this create situations where opponents can deny you the bulk of your heal by pressuring you from range, or by pushing the fight away from the Trap via kiting/CC? The animation for setting Traps is pretty obvious (when they have a cast time, that is), and even after just a few days, I’ve learned to spot it and keep away from the place where the Trap goes down.

I do see how an AoE Blind/Daze combo on a 24 second cooldown could compete with Shelter, but I would feel a lot more comfortable using it if the bulk of the healing occurred when you set the Trap, rather than when it activated (like the Ranger’s Healing Spring). I’d settle for less overall healing if the heal was harder to disrupt.

I consider this is a L2P issue.
The player should learn to take advantage of this Heal’s strong points.
If your Trap did not activate, it is your own mistake, just like players already know Shelter can be completely interrupted if played wrong. (I have seen facepalm moments where bad players use Shelter and walk over Ring of Warding…)

Minions, Clones and Pets are easy bait to drop the Trap on if you are in need of a quick heal.

You can drop the Trap, wait for recharge, find a way to make it activate, and drop a second Trap right after it activates for 18k heal total. (This is of course a “when the stars align” type of combo, but good players can pull it off).

Purification

in Guardian

Posted by: Cat Has Ducks.1982

Cat Has Ducks.1982

Mitigating damage > healing. And shelter does both. You can block 100k damage in 2 seconds, but can’t take the hit, survive and heal back up from that.

Shelter is love. Shelter is life

Lord Chuck I – Guardian
Chuck The Stampede – Engineer
[Lg] Agatha – Dragonbrand

Purification

in Guardian

Posted by: Soryuju.8164

Soryuju.8164

I consider this is a L2P issue.
The player should learn to take advantage of this Heal’s strong points.
If your Trap did not activate, it is your own mistake, just like players already know Shelter can be completely interrupted if played wrong. (I have seen facepalm moments where bad players use Shelter and walk over Ring of Warding…)

Minions, Clones and Pets are easy bait to drop the Trap on if you are in need of a quick heal.

You can drop the Trap, wait for recharge, find a way to make it activate, and drop a second Trap right after it activates for 18k heal total. (This is of course a “when the stars align” type of combo, but good players can pull it off).

Shelter can only be disrupted by a small subset of abilities, however (specifically, unblockable skills that can also interrupt, or maybe apply Poison), and these abilities need to be off cooldown at the same time the Guardian uses Shelter in order for counterplay to occur (with things like reaction time, interrupts from the Guardian’s allies, and other similar variables complicating the situation). If consistent counterplay against Shelter was possible, it wouldn’t be the go-to Guardian heal for every build in every meta for the past three years.

On the other hand, all you need to do to counter Purification is to keep at range while maintaining steady damage output, and certain professions will have much more effective responses to a Trap-based heal than others. As you mentioned, something like a Mesmer or Minion Necro might have trouble stopping the heal from going off, but something like a Longbow Ranger/Druid or Engineer/Scrapper with a Mortar Kit with can comfortably sit back at 1500 range and deny you your heal until you can find a way to close the gap (which likely means leaving the capture point in PvP). They don’t even need to be that far away so long as they’re prepared to deal with True Shot from the Longbow. Are you going to start using up your gap-closers just for the chance to heal in a fight?

Purification is probably going to trigger more easily once it’s set if you can keep in the middle of team fights, but this is also where you’re most prone to being interrupted while trying to set it. As I mentioned above, I can see the Daze/Blind combo simulating Shelter’s block, and one point in its favor is that it potentially gives your allies some mitigation as well. In this case, though, you’ve got issues where Stability on the opposing team can now interfere with your damage mitigation, which isn’t a problem for Shelter. I still see Shelter as the most effective heal if you’re caught in a small fight where intelligent opponents are capable of managing your Traps.

Good players may be able to take advantage of their heal’s strong points, but good opponents are going to try to take advantage of that heal’s weak points, and Purification’s flaws are generally easier to exploit than Shelter’s are. Perhaps I’ll be proven wrong in the weeks to come, but I would still favor Shelter as the Guardian heal of choice.

Purification

in Guardian

Posted by: Swiftwynd.1685

Swiftwynd.1685

This trap applies healing and regeneration to the guardian only, but blind to all enemies in the trap’s radius. The guardian’s position when the trap triggers doesn’t matter.

Karl, can you please let us know if you guys are aware that Purification and Dragon’s Maw are currently bugged? Their trap durations only last for 60 seconds instead of 5 minutes, they were not updated with the global trap changes :^(

Purification

in Guardian

Posted by: brannigan.9831

brannigan.9831

Mitigating damage > healing. And shelter does both. You can block 100k damage in 2 seconds, but can’t take the hit, survive and heal back up from that.

For run of the mill spvp this trap is exceedingly strong because you are rarely facing high levels of coordinated burst where shelter shines the most.

Purification

in Guardian

Posted by: Karl McLain

Previous

Karl McLain

Game Designer

Purification and Maw’s duration are known issues.

Purification

in Guardian

Posted by: grahf.7540

grahf.7540

Purification is incredibly strong, agreed. I take it over Shelter. If you can set up a trap, wait 15 seconds or so until an enemy arrives to the point, as soon as they activate it you can drop another one. It makes you incredibly resilient, considering the enemy will be dazed/blinded so much – and you’ll be healed to full even if you are in a 1v2.

I like Shelter a lot too but I think right now Purification is a better fit for Conquest. I can’t speak for ESL high-level play, but where I’m at it’s performing very well.

For run of the mill spvp this trap is exceedingly strong because you are rarely facing high levels of coordinated burst where shelter shines the most.

Purification

in Guardian

Posted by: Saiyan.1704

Saiyan.1704

When ever I try running purification, I get caught in a situation where a thief, rev, mes burst me down. As if everyone knows I didn’t have shelter >.<

aka FalseLights
#5 best gerdien in wurld

Purification

in Guardian

Posted by: Swiftwynd.1685

Swiftwynd.1685

Thanks for the fix!!

Purification

in Guardian

Posted by: Kuya.6495

Kuya.6495

Thank you!

Btw, thanks for the excellent job with Dragonhunter. It’s such a fun elite spec, i just can’t stop smirking when I a drop a scrub or two in spvp!

Purification

in Guardian

Posted by: NotoriousNaru.1705

NotoriousNaru.1705

Purification is better than shelter.
Its an 11,865 heal on zerk specs.
Its a blind
Its a daze
Its on a 24s cd
You just need to know how to use it properly, because its strong as kitten.
Shelter doesn’t compete
http://metabattle.com/wiki/Build:Dragonhunter_-_Meditrapper

(edited by NotoriousNaru.1705)

Purification

in Guardian

Posted by: YuiRS.8129

YuiRS.8129

The trap dazes, heals for almost 9k and blinds. And does damage, so it removes blind/aegis. A heal in a trap form is bad, but it has so much raw power packed into it that it’s actually pretty good.

Purification

in Guardian

Ragnarox.9601

Its a blind
Its a daze
Its on a 24s cd
Shelter doesn’t compete

Meditrapper is plain crap, I killed so many meta scrubs yesterday it’s so laughable.

Purification

in Guardian

Posted by: NotoriousNaru.1705

NotoriousNaru.1705

Its a blind
Its a daze
Its on a 24s cd
Shelter doesn’t compete

Meditrapper is plain crap, I killed so many meta scrubs yesterday it’s so laughable.

There’s alot of bad meditrappers, it’s called a hype train. Fight one who actually played guard prior to it being op and you’ll see why that build is meta. Also, that has nothing to do with Purification/Shelter. A heal doesn’t define a build.

Purification

in Guardian

Posted by: Cat Has Ducks.1982

Cat Has Ducks.1982

I run a different variant of the medi trapper but it is still most definately classified as one. I do just fine but then again I’ve been playing guard for years so it’s not like I’m just relying on new cheese tactics without a solid core skillset.

Lord Chuck I – Guardian
Chuck The Stampede – Engineer
[Lg] Agatha – Dragonbrand

Purification

in Guardian

Posted by: grahf.7540

grahf.7540

The build is absolutely not crap, regardless of how many scrubs you killed.

Its a blind
Its a daze
Its on a 24s cd
Shelter doesn’t compete