[PvP] Builds That Got You to Legendary

in Guardian

Posted by: Saiyan.1704

Saiyan.1704

Your Legendary Build
Zerkers or Marauders
Win Percentage? Optional

There’s quite a handful of Guardians that actually use Berserkers in TPvP such as Ken and Mes so i’m curious, how many of us Guards use Zerks over Mara? Moreover, what build got you to Legendary? I’ll start first.

Still using my Hambow build
Hammer/Bow
Mara + Packs
Purification – ToF/Smite/Cop

Reached Diamond with 69% but finished in Legendary as 59%. Majority soloQ with some occasional teamQ on the side.

My thoughts on Amulets.

Marauders
It offers higher sustains for a greater window of opportunity against bursty situations. You can survive a thief’s gank at around 8600 health (half health) that you can’t do with Zerkers. Cons: You’re not as efficient in 1v1 as it’s not a duelist build.

Zerkers
Weapon variants: Sw/Focus for the needed blocks.
(important to note because hammer performs worse on Zerks, unless you play very well)

I feel with 10k health.. a thief’s 8k burst will basically 1 shot you in any +1 situation. The low health pool forces you to use your CDs very quickly, often burning through skills just to survive. Of course your trade is higher bursts and being more efficient in 1v1 fights but against any competent team who can focus Guards, (revs + thieves and/or rangers) I feel it’s simply not as efficient compared to Maras in the same situation.

There’s been some disagreement so I like to see how many Guardians differ, or agree, wth the above. Thoughts?

aka FalseLights
#5 best gerdien in wurld

in Guardian

Posted by: Darknicrofia.2604

Darknicrofia.2604

standard meditrapper
marauders
73% win rate to legendary, was at 94% in early diamond, all solo

pretty much I avoided mid fights as much as possible and won most of my 1v1s and rotated to +1 or defend.

Darknicrofia Sage – Bad Gerdian, Merciless Legend, Platinum NA Solo Que

(edited by Darknicrofia.2604)

in Guardian

Saiyan.1704

Awesome dude. What is your thoughts on Zerker amulet in the competitive scene? Think it’s at all viable to use or is Mara simply better?

aka FalseLights
#5 best gerdien in wurld

in Guardian

Posted by: Arcaedus.7290

Arcaedus.7290

. and being more efficient in 1v1 fights

I doubt this is true. Zerker ammy is great if you’re +1ing, and may help you down certain classes in 1v1 a bit faster, but against a decent opponent you have trouble with on marauder’s, zerker will only make it worse.

in Guardian

Posted by: Nusku.3941

Nusku.3941

Paladin meditation greatsword bow I will give no more details.

in Guardian

Darknicrofia.2604

paladin is bad, it gives guards the illusion of more sustain with the additional toughness and cuts down your burst significantly.

we’re not out attritioning ANYONE in a long drawn out fight that knows how to play their class, marauder or bust for medi builds.

in Guardian

Posted by: Xanctus The Dragonslayer.2318

Xanctus The Dragonslayer.2318

paladin is bad, it gives guards the illusion of more sustain with the additional toughness and cuts down your burst significantly.

we’re not out attritioning ANYONE in a long drawn out fight that knows how to play their class, marauder or bust for medi builds.

I agree. It’s only marauder or cleric with the bunker builds spec.

in Guardian

Darknicrofia.2604

yep, chances are if you’re beating a rev 1v1 with a paladin amulet, he’s bad enough that you would have ended that fight 10-20 secs sooner with a marauder amulet.

in Guardian

Posted by: Legacy.7360

Legacy.7360

Good Post.
Reached Legendary with roughly a 80% win ratio using MediTrap

Marauders Amy + Travelers up to Mid Diamond.
Started GBow + GS

Mid Diamond and beyond, pressure was getting hot, I was being focused a lot more.
Marauders Amy stayed + Earth Runes
GBow + Hammer for the perma Protect and decent burst.

Guardian <3
Dragon
Platinnum – Zerker Guardian

in Guardian

Posted by: holychampion.7386

holychampion.7386

73% win rate
Hammer (hidromancy + leeching)
Longbow (Air + Fire)

Marauder
Pack Rune all the way till legendary
Same build as yours but instead ToF instead of CoP

in Guardian

Saiyan.1704

. and being more efficient in 1v1 fights

I doubt this is true. Zerker ammy is great if you’re +1ing, and may help you down certain classes in 1v1 a bit faster, but against a decent opponent you have trouble with on marauder’s, zerker will only make it worse.

Not true vs certain classes. Dueled a good Rev numerous time on Mara but couldn’t get close to a win. Swap to zerks and won a few times. The Rev said Ken & Mes could beat him and immediately knew they used Zerks to do it.

Situational or not, I still feel Zerks is a duelist amulet but that’s pretty much all it has going for it.

Interesting builds gentlemen! Impressive win ratios too!

aka FalseLights
#5 best gerdien in wurld

in Guardian

Posted by: Rodzynald.5897

Rodzynald.5897

Woah, so there are some other hammer guardians? I play pvp for almost a year and I’ve seen like 2 or 3 guards running with a hammer.
I do run with this weapon myself on my own build that I use since the very beginning.

I can’t share with my accomplishement as I didn’t reach legendary. Got to ruby fairly quickly but then I found a new job and well… no more time to play ranked matches :I
I wish that I had a better rig tho, it is quite tiresome to get fps spikes every now and then just to find out that I died because my screen froze.

In the end of the day, I congratulate and respect those guardians who stay true to their profession and reach legendary division

Guardian is meant for jolly crusading.

in Guardian

Posted by: Booms.2594

Booms.2594

http://metabattle.com/wiki/Build:Dragonhunter_-_Meditrapper
this with gen sigil on bow 94% winrate

gerdian

in Guardian

Posted by: Xanctus The Dragonslayer.2318

Xanctus The Dragonslayer.2318

yep, chances are if you’re beating a rev 1v1 with a paladin amulet, he’s bad enough that you would have ended that fight 10-20 secs sooner with a marauder amulet.

True. It sucks tough that guardians cannot have a support role anymore outside in player vs player outside of wvw. I hope the next elite spec brings it back.

in Guardian

Posted by: Emmrahil.1934

Emmrahil.1934

Legendary with 103 wins in 162 games this season. I played only DH. Typical MediTrapper build with : Mar amulet/ rune of pack. The only difference from the typical meditrapper build was dragon’s maw as elite (in solo que is easy to interupt stomps secure rezes etc with it) insteed renweed focus.

in Guardian

Posted by: Lucentfir.7430

Lucentfir.7430

Well got to legend now, 96 Games played, 70 won. Out of Sapphire I played a support DH build I cooked up. Breezed into Ruby. Swapped from guard to necro, a bit of engi and ele for achievements for the last of the wings. Had a small hiccup due to net conking out breaking my win streak with at least 2 desertions. Broke out of ruby. Diamond after achievements were done, just hopped back onto my support DH build, hit a small bump after T2, for a few back and forth matches, then afterwards I just had a ride for a 10 win streak I think into the last tier of diamond, then lost a game or two, got the last of the pips to hit legend just now.

http://gw2skills.net/editor/?vVAQNAT8en8ABlChFdCuCB8Dhl5BT++1/GgVNgrUAA7IUEqCA-TpBFAB9XGAgDCABHBgi2fQgHAACXAAA

Build I was running, isn’t a great duelist, though it has some really good support. Providing blocks, some heals, team wide condition clear, stability(SYG) Retal, and turning people into mini PbAoE damage bombs. Protective Reviver for clutch rezing along with Fragments of Faith being a instant daze for you to pop with added stability, or just using SYG to get stab for safe stomps.

Reth Grimrazor – Charr Guardian – [GWB]Grim Warband – Tarnished Coast
Redgen Furyblaze – Charr Guardian – [SHD]Shade Warband – Tarnished Coast
Lerious Warhowl – Charr Warrior – [SHD] Shade Warband – Tarnished Coast

(edited by Lucentfir.7430)

in Guardian

Posted by: Keksmuffin.1450

Keksmuffin.1450

Took me 73 games with 61 wins to reach legendary. I used the standard meditrapper build with marauder lbow sw/f with air blood and air hydromancy.

Bullet Punch

in Guardian

Posted by: Manimarco Devil.1790

Manimarco Devil.1790

102/82
games played/games won

I’ve found that the generic meditrapper works fine until high diamond, but once you start encountering teams that have 3-4 eles/revs/engis/rangers/wars you are much less likely to just body your way through a 1v1 so just use dragon’s maw had try to get quick kills. Renewed Focus doesn’t matter much when you cannot deal enough damage to them.

Took me 73 games with 61 wins to reach legendary. I used the standard meditrapper build with marauder lbow sw/f with air blood and air hydromancy.

It takes 62 wins minimum to reach legend from amber so wtf?

Battlelord Taeres

(edited by Manimarco Devil.1790)

in Guardian

Posted by: Keksmuffin.1450

Keksmuffin.1450

102/82
games played/games won

I’ve found that the generic meditrapper works fine until high diamond, but once you start encountering teams that have 3-4 eles/revs/engis/rangers/wars you are much less likely to just body your way through a 1v1 so just use dragon’s maw had try to get quick kills. Renewed Focus doesn’t matter much when you cannot deal enough damage to them.

It takes 62 wins minimum to reach legend from amber so wtf?

I started in saphire because I was legendary last season.

Bullet Punch

in Guardian

Posted by: DesuNyan.4783

DesuNyan.4783

Games Played 292
Games won 160

Not a great win record, my mmr set me at mid diamond and it got pretty toxic, to the point of ppl whispering me to quit a kitten class.

The beginning of amber to mid diamond i ran da bad rune of the trapper build trap build. Last 30 games thru mid diamond to legend I ran
http://gw2skills.net/editor/?vVAQNAT8en8cCVDhdDBmDBkdilGi6aYXgAIL+uvOQe4T+oH-TJBFABAcFAI4hAc/+DiXGAA

and had fun with that one. I like the elite trap for the nice cc, and all da meditations for heals rather then protection from ToF.

in Guardian

Darknicrofia.2604

Games Played 292
Games won 160

Not a great win record…

I like the elite trap .

well there’s your problem right there

in Guardian

Posted by: LazyDad.2037

LazyDad.2037

Got mine up before x-pact. So was just meditations with GS and Sword/Focus.
Worked fine for me.

Now I run almost the same with utilities (slot one trap instead of the full cond clear) and longbow.

in Guardian

DesuNyan.4783

It’s not a bad build, but now that I get some quality matches in legendary, it has some flaws.

If im vs 2 of the following combination (wanderers necro/mesmer/thief/support ranger) I run ToF over smite condition or I switch to a burn guardian (I run 2 guardians). The amount I can learn in legendary is suprisingly alot.

in Guardian

Saiyan.1704

It’s not a bad build, but now that I get some quality matches in legendary, it has some flaws.

If im vs 2 of the following combination (wanderers necro/mesmer/thief/support ranger) I run ToF over smite condition or I switch to a burn guardian (I run 2 guardians). The amount I can learn in legendary is suprisingly alot.

I can’t imagine Burn Guard performing any better than its power variant against necro/mesmer/thief. Rangers maybe, but that’s situational (as usual with burn guard) where you catch his pet, him, and anyone else with cleave bursts.

You perform worse due to burn guard unable to successfully protect itself against heavy cc burst attacks. It’s the loss of sustains from Indomitable Courage, Hunter’s Determination & Heavy Light traits. Taking these means you lack the consistent dps pressure a normal power DH would have, only power DH has less flaws.

aka FalseLights
#5 best gerdien in wurld

in Guardian

Posted by: lukraf.3820

lukraf.3820

here is a video with guard i used pack rune sword shield lb and stanard dragonhunter traits

in Guardian

DesuNyan.4783

-cough- yeah it didnt, its to punish ppl rotating on me all the time but its only bursty as kitten.

Basically had to learn how to reset fights and such which I never needed to learn outside of legendary…

Power variant does have quite a few bad comps but if i see a burn warr and an ele im feeling quite confident in a nice match(maybe just maybe a stomp)

@lukraf nice video. you did a good job doing dps while avoiding focus. Its definitely stuff I gotta try in foefire.

(edited by DesuNyan.4783)

in Guardian

Posted by: MomentofWeakness.1246

MomentofWeakness.1246

standard meditrapper
marauders
73% win rate to legendary, was at 94% in early diamond, all solo

pretty much I avoided mid fights as much as possible and won most of my 1v1s and rotated to +1 or defend.

Early on in the PvP season when there were very few of us in diamond let alone legend, you and Naru were literally the only two people on NA that I saw playing guard effectively throughout a number of matches.

Perhaps things changed as more people came down the pipeline but I feel like Guardian needs to be on par with Scrapper when it comes to 1v1 or 1v2/generally speaking side-point play.

Although I sparingly played Guardian this season I used the following build to get some of my wins to legend:

http://gw2skills.net/editor/?vVAQJATSnsABVDhVdCmDB8DhlEi6aZDgEIL/+vAUe5j+sH-TJBFABls/AAPBAxLDUwlAAA

If the enemy composition was 4 or 5 condition players I might swap out Test of Faith for Contemplation of Purity but I do feel that the trap is more ideal against most situations.

I also used Sword/Focus instead of Hammer sometimes but I did enjoy the lock-down of hammer and the utility of the weapon.

I found that Shelter and Renewed Focus gave me significantly more opportunity to fight Revenants and Thieves in particular when defending a point solo, so that is why you see them in the build over the trap-heal or trap-elite.

Its Choo – 250,000 Kills in WvW and Counting…
WvW Commander – NA PST
Sexiest Level 80 Charr Guardian In The Game

(edited by MomentofWeakness.1246)

in Guardian

Darknicrofia.2604

Shelter would still be amazing if it couldn’t randomly get interrupted, i.e. the smite condition that procced from it didn’t trigger things like nightmare runes etc.

Purification imo is superior in everywhere outside of WvW simply because if there is 1 single class that absolutely cannot afford to have its heal interrupted, its guardians.

that and the aoe interrupt/blind can occasionally make for some clutch stomp/res plays.

in Guardian

Posted by: Sublime Le Peasant.1932

Sublime Le Peasant.1932

For the last season I did not play Dh, I played Druid, Thief and Warrior.
( Got Legendary SoloQ with avg off 75% w/l on Na and 87% on Eu.)

So for the next season, I will probably play Bunker/Support Dh.

P.S. ( I know that Ele and druid bring much more work to the table, but Guardian always been and will always be my fav proffession..)

Feel free to add your toughts on the build.

Namatse.

Top 50, before April 15th, 2014 Feature Patch.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DWk2ObTvn9s
Gerdien

(edited by Sublime Le Peasant.1932)

in Guardian

Posted by: Noah.4756

Noah.4756

Standard Meditrapper MetaBattle build, mostly SoloQ.

I would usually switch to Elementalist if our party didn’t have any. Guardian bunker doesn’t even come close to the Elementalist’s capabilities. If the enemy party had too many reflects (Engineers/Elementalists) I would usually switch to Herald/Druid. I felt especially useless against coordinated teams as the Guardian is too slow to disengage and has relatively low sustainability. Even though I try to stay close to objects (for LoS) at max range.