[PvP] "Tough Cookie" Bunker Guard 2017

in Guardian

Posted by: Abelisk.4527

Abelisk.4527

Hey all, I just found what I think is an amazing bunker build for 2017!
It has good condi cleanse, sustain, so it can hold points very well. It destroys a thief’s playstyle because in a 1v1 this build CANNOT die to most builds, making the thief’s decap a fail.

Updated edition #1
http://gw2skills.net/editor/?vVAQRAse5dnkICFDhtDBWDB8DhjGi6OsLQAkXh6L/wFQEMCA-TZRDQBS4gAAgTAwP2fgglBcwTAAA

First version
http://gw2skills.net/editor/?vVAQRApd8enkIC1DhdDBWDB8DhjGiCXARwIcH2tMAyrQ9lfA-TZRDQBQZ/BJcCAcwTAgglBAwBBAA

Merciful Intervention is an amazing tool to replace Contemplation of Purity since it still has the 2 condi cleanse but more than 2x healing.

Stalwart Defender (trait) can also replace Communal Defenses.

Before touching anything, just try it and see how it feels. I know Litany is controversial, but it’s simply the best option. Shelter is way too predictable and susceptible to get bursted while Litany not only heals around 6k, but it cleans 2 conditions, has a 20 cd, and synergizes with symbol aoe damage (and other damage sources). Plus it does damage too!

Sanctuary is the most important utility here. It is extremely potent because it is a huge knockback CC, has many pulses, blocks projectiles, heals, allowing you to recharge your skills and hold the point with safety. Plus it’s annoying so win-win.

Hallowed Ground can substitute Sanctuary. This is especially useful if there are classes with multiple CC sources such as Revenant, Thief, and Warrior. It also helps teamfights dramatically.

Contemplation of Purity is self-explanatory, Smite Condition is too, Renewed Focus is awesum.

Mace is very slow but the symbol is nice. Focus 5 can be used to aid Mace 2’s channel. Mace 3 is simply an amazing tool, and it does some damage as well.

Sword has a symbol so it heals. Shield has knockback / Aegis.

Aegis heals when blocked. You have multiple sources of Aegis. Symbols heal 200 every second. Two symbols heal 400 a second. Meditations are huge in HP recovery. Virtue of Resolve heals and cleanses condis.

I had great fun running this build in Ranked / hotjoins, and it can survive in most 2v1 scenarios. It can survive ALL 1v1 scenarios.

(edited by Abelisk.4527)

in Guardian

Posted by: oscuro.9720

oscuro.9720

What tier you have been playing this build in?

in Guardian

Abelisk.4527

Played in Gold 3

in Guardian

Posted by: oscuro.9720

oscuro.9720

Played in Gold 3

Sweet, maybe i played against you :P
Just wanted to see how well its been tested. I will try this out once i get back from traveling.

in Guardian

Posted by: Lucentfir.7430

Lucentfir.7430

Seems like a nice base hidden gem build! The only thing I see it prone to is stunlock and, and just general mobility to move between points. Question, is this just to hold points/distract multiple foes or is this built with support in mind?

Reth Grimrazor – Charr Guardian – [GWB]Grim Warband – Tarnished Coast
Redgen Furyblaze – Charr Guardian – [SHD]Shade Warband – Tarnished Coast
Lerious Warhowl – Charr Warrior – [SHD] Shade Warband – Tarnished Coast

in Guardian

Posted by: Rodzynald.5897

Rodzynald.5897

I am in tier 2 of gold and I tried something like that earlier. It seems quite good at first and it is, but once enemy team sees through the lack of stab I get eaten up too quickly. Apart from merc intervention (which is also under a circumstance) there is no real on demand disengage and once you get focused even sanctuary won’t help versus condis.
But this is just a possibility, yet for me a quite frequent possibility. Still, it does its job 1v1 but for a support to be good, a competent team is also needed because 2v1 (if you have potatoes instead of teammates) you are bound to slowly die if your enemies know how to get past your defenses.
Overall it is good but only against encounters with not enough burst and low CC output.

Guardian is meant for jolly crusading.

in Guardian

Abelisk.4527

Played in Gold 3

Sweet, maybe i played against you :P
Just wanted to see how well its been tested. I will try this out once i get back from traveling.

My name was Johan Lïebert.

Seems like a nice base hidden gem build! The only thing I see it prone to is stunlock and, and just general mobility to move between points. Question, is this just to hold points/distract multiple foes or is this built with support in mind?

Mainly bunkering, but it has weak supporting.

I am in tier 2 of gold and I tried something like that earlier. It seems quite good at first and it is, but once enemy team sees through the lack of stab I get eaten up too quickly. Apart from merc intervention (which is also under a circumstance) there is no real on demand disengage and once you get focused even sanctuary won’t help versus condis.
But this is just a possibility, yet for me a quite frequent possibility. Still, it does its job 1v1 but for a support to be good, a competent team is also needed because 2v1 (if you have potatoes instead of teammates) you are bound to slowly die if your enemies know how to get past your defenses.
Overall it is good but only against encounters with not enough burst and low CC output.

I’m gonna theorycraft a bunker with Dragonhunter soon, but Sanctuary will need to be replaced with Fragments of Faith for best results.

Merciful Intervention, Smite Condition, Virtue of Resolve are heals that can be done while CCd, but I agree that there isn’t enough stab. Definitely one of this build’s caveats.

Edit: I just tested Hallowed Ground over Sanctuary with this build—it’s amazing. Excellent in teamfights, excellent for bunkering.

(edited by Abelisk.4527)

in Guardian

Posted by: Saiyan.1704

Saiyan.1704

DH is a lot better than Virtues in that build. Go 1/1/1 for the traits. Of course if u don’t use traps, just go 3/1/1 but I highly recommend ToF or at least FoF for the stunbreaker/stability.

A lot of guards use Rune of Speed to kite and troll points, I highly recommend it.

aka FalseLights
#5 best gerdien in wurld

in Guardian

Abelisk.4527

The problem with Dragonhunter over Virtues is that you lose a lot of group Stability / Aegis (but you do get group block), Test of Faith is too offensive of an option, Courage’s CD is increased almost by double, Spear of Justice is designed to pull enemies toward you which, although having benefits, is definitely made to deal damage. Problem with this is as a bunker you wanna be further away from enemies to have time to recover and such. Not saying it’s useless for the build but core Justice deals better bursts with sword.

Wings of Resolve is a good option, maybe even better than core Resolve, but it can be interrupted and thus wasted, having a cast time. Core Resolve is instacast. Finally, back to Courage, core Courage grants group Stab group Prot and Aegis. Note that Aegis heals yourself. The Shield of Courage blocks in front of you and for allies but the CD is too high IMO.

Now to the traits.. 1/1/1 is good but only if a) traps are better than the utilities b) you need more condi cleanse. That’s pretty much what Dragonhunter offers over Virtues. Virtues grants boons per virtue cast which aid in bunkering (Might from Justice helps w/ bursting though). Regen is decent but Courage’s boon application is almost necessary… FoF simply isn’t enough without the extra boons. Hallowed Ground is a 12-second field granting party Stab which is insane. I mean Warrs will just waste their adrenal trying to CC somebody while the field keeps everyone in company. Plus it’s a fire field. I also forgot about the Sanctuary trait that triggers at 25% HP. If you get downed you will drop a bubble on yourself which will be super annoying to enemies. If you end up surviving the 25% drop then you’ll be at an advantage.

The reason why the Symbolic build works with Dragonhunter is because it’s damage-oriented and bunkering isn’t its thing, so it just goes for the damaging.

I’ll try Rune of Speed though, mobility has been an issue.

(edited by Abelisk.4527)

in Guardian

Posted by: Lucentfir.7430

Lucentfir.7430

I gave the build a whirl in a couple of unranked matches, it holds itself well, as long as you don’t chug down loads of AoE damage. As I said before too the mobility of the build is pretty bad and is stunlockable once CoP and VoC is out of the way, but I guess that’s a tradeoff for being really difficult to kill. Condi comps AR is the best choice to go with, but almost against entirely power, auto health proc sanctuary is better. Sanctuary utility is also really lulzy for decapping points I find, and gives you a lot of breathing room, especially when you get 1+’d by things like thief.

Reth Grimrazor – Charr Guardian – [GWB]Grim Warband – Tarnished Coast
Redgen Furyblaze – Charr Guardian – [SHD]Shade Warband – Tarnished Coast
Lerious Warhowl – Charr Warrior – [SHD] Shade Warband – Tarnished Coast

in Guardian

Abelisk.4527

I’ve come here to say Rune of Speed is fantastic. Take it over Water ASAP.

in Guardian

Posted by: Saiyan.1704

Saiyan.1704

I’ve come here to say Rune of Speed is fantastic. Take it over Water ASAP.

Agreed! There’s also Lynx if people want a more dps option too.

Also, I’m still skeptical about Mace over Scepter.
If Bunker Symbolic Menders is not considered a support option but rather a bunk option, I’m not going to be standing still on a slow Mace#2. I’ll be kiting around all over the place, using F2 to peel away (if DH).

For 1v1, I’ll absolutely be standing in Mace/sword symbols but the build doesn’t need help self sustaining itself in 1v1. I wouldn’t underestimate Scepter’s range damage when chasing/focusing people, and it’s scepter#3 immob helps when turning over a point.

aka FalseLights
#5 best gerdien in wurld

in Guardian

Abelisk.4527

Scepter could work too. Mace 2 has regen on it though which scales very well with Mender’s. Mace 3 is a group block which is pretty decent.

in Guardian

Abelisk.4527

Just tried Dragonhunter 1/1/1 with Fragments of Faith over Sanctuary / Hallowed Ground. I like it.