Raid Viability

Raid Viability

in Guardian

Posted by: Snake.1497

Snake.1497

Hi all. New player and I’m really interested in eventually getting into the raid scene when I hit max level. I’m interested in playing Guardian, but I want to be viable in raids and I’ve read that they are pretty mediocre and people don’t really want them and would prefer Warriors. Is this still true? Would you recommend that I roll a Warrior instead of a Guardian? Thanks!

Raid Viability

in Guardian

Posted by: Adrenalin.5719

Adrenalin.5719

roll an ele the loved class you will always be op always

fanboy | A passionate fan of elements of geek culture, letting his passion override social graces
and common sense.

Raid Viability

in Guardian

Posted by: REKKRAP.1759

REKKRAP.1759

Groups won’t instantly kick you for wanting to play a Guardian DPS. I’ve been able to get into raiding with my guard. However, groups will prefer other dps classes (especially ele). So it can be difficult to find a raiding group if that’s your only class.

Their DPS is actually really good, but most people who play them don’t play them well. But the only viable build they can play right now is Dragon Hunter power, so they’re limited that way. Hopefully that’ll change with the expansion, but we don’t know enough yet to say.

I started playing a condition PS warrior (their job in raids is to stack might, but they also do good dps). I think they’re very fun, and the current meta requires two per group, so it’s easy to find groups to join.

Raid Viability

in Guardian

Posted by: Syktek.7912

Syktek.7912

Groups won’t instantly kick you for wanting to play a Guardian DPS. I’ve been able to get into raiding with my guard. However, groups will prefer other dps classes (especially ele). So it can be difficult to find a raiding group if that’s your only class.

Their DPS is actually really good, but most people who play them don’t play them well. But the only viable build they can play right now is Dragon Hunter power, so they’re limited that way. Hopefully that’ll change with the expansion, but we don’t know enough yet to say.

I started playing a condition PS warrior (their job in raids is to stack might, but they also do good dps). I think they’re very fun, and the current meta requires two per group, so it’s easy to find groups to join.

Basically, if you aren’t running with pugs attempting to tryhard cause they think qT builds are the endall (Don’t ever join a full pug raid asking for four eles, it won’t end well) and can nail a very simple rotation consistently – you’ll do fine on guard in raids. Shoot, hammer guardian is still viable.

Vesper Dawnshield | Guardian

Raid Viability

in Guardian

Posted by: RabbitUp.8294

RabbitUp.8294

Shoot, hammer guardian is still viable.

No, it’s not, it does 10k less DPS than standard builds.

Raid Viability

in Guardian

Posted by: Ghotistyx.6942

Ghotistyx.6942

You only need a minimum amount of dps to complete raid content and I’m pretty sure you can frequently reach that minimum even if you have a hammer guard. That’s viability.

Fishsticks

Raid Viability

in Guardian

RabbitUp.8294

Maybe in theory, but when you can use Stone Spirit for perma-protection, why take a hammer guardian?

Raid Viability

in Guardian

Syktek.7912

Maybe in theory, but when you can use Stone Spirit for perma-protection, why take a hammer guardian?

It’s called having fun.

Raid Viability

in Guardian

RabbitUp.8294

It’s called having fun.

Raids are not solo content. Unless you have 9 other friends, have fun getting kicked.

Raid Viability

in Guardian

Syktek.7912

It’s called having fun.

Raids are not solo content. Unless you have 9 other friends, have fun getting kicked.

A) I generally run Condi Ranger and, on KC, standard staff Ele. I run guardian only in pugs or when raid leader allows it in our static (depends on how they’re feeling usually)
B) I have a static who couldn’t give a kitten less about what I run because I make it work (not being a bad player really helps).
C) I highly doubt I’d get kicked from a pug raid because all the other DPS classes never really know what they’re doing; specially if they’re running ele. On a good day I can press 15-20k (In raid, not on the test golem) on Guardian with off meta loltier builds that I run for kittensngiggles. I do it on wing 1 bosses, Sloth, other easy ones. Cause it’s fun and refreshing.

If people would chill out and stop running the qT meta BS constantly (WHICH IS ONLY OPTIMAL IF PEOPLE ARE NAILING THEIR ROTATIONS) raids would be a lot more awesome. With the introduction of legendary armor outside raids you’re going to see a massive drop in people attending because of that ‘lol u gunna git kicked’ attitude that you, and others, have. I’d much rather have put 1000 hours into WvW for my legendary armor than the time I did for raids(But too late there, already have it >.<). It’s more engaging, it’s far from frustrating and no one can judge your build or tell you what to do.

But you know, raid elitism~

(edited by Syktek.7912)

Raid Viability

in Guardian

RabbitUp.8294

“I play on a static using good builds, but troll once in a while, so playing troll builds in pugs is totally viable, you guys xDDD”

Good one. Don’t go around people to play hammer guardian, especially when some can’t afford to have backup alts.

Raid Viability

in Guardian

Posted by: CptAurellian.9537

CptAurellian.9537

The meaning of viability has already been commented on and Ghotistyx nailed it. In the end, Syktek is right – the GW2 community takes meta builds and all that stuff far too seriously for the actual raid difficulty. More realism, especially with regard to player capability, wouldn’t be a bad thing. It’s something I miss from Wildstar – people hardly cared about dumb golem benchmarks but we had wildstarlogs, which provided nice data on what actually happened out there in the raids.

Warning! This post may contain traces of irony, sarcasm and peanuts.

There is no loyalty without betrayal. -Ann Smiley

Raid Viability

in Guardian

RabbitUp.8294

If you can find people to carry you, good for you. But if you are not even willing to put the minimum amount of effort, don’t blame it on the community’s mentality.

Raid Viability

in Guardian

CptAurellian.9537

This judgement reveals a true wise guy. I’m impressed.

Raid Viability

in Guardian

Posted by: Fashion Mage.3712

Fashion Mage.3712

I can actually agree that the community’s obsession with the meta is absurd, probably to the point that it ironically actually hinders the meta in some cases.

Raid Viability

in Guardian

Posted by: Furienify.5738

Furienify.5738

Because your group doesn’t have a second druid/ranger to give a stone spirit to the 2nd party, but does have a guard with a hammer.

Raid Viability

in Guardian

RabbitUp.8294

Because your group doesn’t have a second druid/ranger to give a stone spirit to the 2nd party, but does have a guard with a hammer.

Then you use lfg.

Raid Viability

in Guardian

Posted by: Furienify.5738

Furienify.5738

Then you use lfg.

Or we whip out the hammer and kill the boss no sweat, because we know there’s a middle ground between ‘meta slave’ and ‘burden to team’.

Raid Viability

in Guardian

RabbitUp.8294

The Sc+T/GS build is that middle ground. Hammer guardian is solidly in the “burden to the team” territory.

Raid Viability

in Guardian

Posted by: Adrenalin.5719

Adrenalin.5719

How about @all these fanboys, we don’t victim blame the community for trying to play the decent classes and actually demand good balance instead? Outrageous, I know, xd.

At the end of the day an Ele does 15% more damage than a Guard. Multiply that by 4 for the 4 dps slots and you have 20k more damage in total. And now blame the guys for playing only “meta” (in other words trying to adjust to terrible balance) and not Anet for not fixing this mess over a whole expansion. Classic.

Not even taking into account the superior utility Ele provides with range cleave and mobility.

If you calculate the difference for hammer Guard (I did for max dps Guard instead) it’s even more extreme.

fanboy | A passionate fan of elements of geek culture, letting his passion override social graces
and common sense.

(edited by Adrenalin.5719)

Raid Viability

in Guardian

Posted by: Ghotistyx.6942

Ghotistyx.6942

I remember the last time I was in the all Ele dps meta comp.
We killed the bosses so fast we got double loot

Fishsticks

Raid Viability

in Guardian

CptAurellian.9537

Victim blaming? Now this thread is becoming pure comedy gold. Go on, please!