Really need a Mace/Shield build.....

in Guardian

Posted by: Legionnaire.1586

Legionnaire.1586

Hey guys so i just got my Guardian to 80, I need a good mace/shield and GS build. Can someone give me a build with these weapons that will suffice in PvE/WvW? (Gear, traits etc).

I tried looking at some on the forum but couldnt find any Mace/Shield & GS builds.

in Guardian

Posted by: Obtena.7952

Obtena.7952

Your request is highly specialized:

1. Dual PVE/WvW build
2. Your first set is a heal-focused weapon in contrast with your second set of max damage weapon.

Guardian can do alot but I’m afraid what you are asking is to do it all. The traiting distribution is not in your favour. I think your guess for a build is as good as anyone else’s.

in Guardian

Legionnaire.1586

Your request is highly specialized:

1. Dual PVE/WvW build
2. Your first set is a heal-focused weapon in contrast with your second set of max damage weapon.

Guardian can do alot but I’m afraid what you are asking is to do it all. The traiting distribution is not in your favour. I think your guess for a build is as good as anyone else’s.

What about a Sceptor/Shield and GS build?

in Guardian

Posted by: Boonprot.6274

Boonprot.6274

You’re going to need two different gear sets no matter how you slice it. One for PvE (preferrably full berserker w/ Scholar runes, or you can go with training wheels Soldier/Zerk mix) and one for WvW. The two game types are fundamentally different, and so are their metas. Also, you’ll spec differently for roaming play than you would for zergplay, so there’s even a split in that regard.

What, specifically, do you intend to do?

Supreme Commander Boonprot, Lord Regent of the Portals
Boonprot 80 G
[Ark] Maguuma

in Guardian

Posted by: Galtrix.7369

Galtrix.7369

Well, you’re asking for two separate things. If you want to use a mace/shield combo, you’re going to have to use a tanky build. If you want to use a greatsword, you might as well go full glass cannon if that’s all you’re going to be doing.

This is the build that I’m currently using. It utilizes the healing capabilities and boon duration that the Guardian comes with. http://www.gw2db.com/skill-builds/2287-dungeon-tank-healing-support-shouter

For WvW however, you will need to use another build. I suggest a berserker type build. Something like this. http://www.gw2db.com/skill-builds/263-shadow-knight-zanede

Though that build lacks the capabilities to heal yourself efficiently, it makes up for it by utilizing boons and really shows how good the Guardian’s Dps can actually be.

Hope this helps

[~Galtrix~] [~Level 80 Elementalist~] [~GoM~]

in Guardian

Posted by: colesy.8490

colesy.8490

You do not need a mace/shield build for PvE.

Full berserker, scholar runes, sword/focus + gs, 10/30/0/20/10 and you’re good to go.

Sanctum of Rall (NA) – [LOD] – PvE/Dungeon Phantasm Mesmer build
Morrï (Mesmer) | Serah Mahariel (Guardian) | Morrï Mahariel (Warrior)
“colesy’s on rampage today. Slaying casuals left, right and centre” – spoj

in Guardian

Legionnaire.1586

Well, you’re asking for two separate things. If you want to use a mace/shield combo, you’re going to have to use a tanky build. If you want to use a greatsword, you might as well go full glass cannon if that’s all you’re going to be doing.

This is the build that I’m currently using. It utilizes the healing capabilities and boon duration that the Guardian comes with. http://www.gw2db.com/skill-builds/2287-dungeon-tank-healing-support-shouter

For WvW however, you will need to use another build. I suggest a berserker type build. Something like this. http://www.gw2db.com/skill-builds/263-shadow-knight-zanede

Though that build lacks the capabilities to heal yourself efficiently, it makes up for it by utilizing boons and really shows how good the Guardian’s Dps can actually be.

Hope this helps

Im kinda liking this build you got set out here, what gear are you using (mace/shield, armor ?) .Primarily what i need this build for is dungeon running and some wvw but all of you are telling me there isnt a build that is balanced for both. What i want this build to have is primarily a shield. B

in Guardian

Boonprot.6274

Hope this helps

Im kinda liking this build you got set out here, what gear are you using (mace/shield, armor ?) .Primarily what i need this build for is dungeon running and some wvw but all of you are telling me there isnt a build that is balanced for both. What i want this build to have is primarily a shield. B

X/Shield can be as viable as X/Focus in terms of PvE DPS, so that problem can be easily resolved. However, I wouldn’t particularly recommend shield in WvW outside of roaming. Even then, I would argue that the 3x block+burst from focus 5 and blind/cleanse on the 5 would be much better. Even in zerg play, Mace+Shield/Staff is a very specialized build that requires a lot of fiddling to get right in terms of gear loadout and trait distribution. It’s good, but I’m more partial to something along the lines of the following:

http://intothemists.com/calc/?build=-7;4NFk40J3NGF90;9;54TT4;435A18A;16wl0U;1CqNYCqNY20kW0-k7;3jVp0t1yY3_950uVIF310;9;9;9;9;9;9;04-6X

That’s the bones of what I run, minus the optimization. You can easily eek out 200+ more Healing Power and still maintain almost the exact same Vitality, Toughness, Power, and Precision. You’ll also notice that I don’t have much more than 20% crit chance. In a zerg or group setting, you should have access to perma-fury, so a combined 50% chance is usually enough in a defensive frontline role. Even for DPS, I wouldn’t recommend venturing north of 35%-40%, because you’re often sacrificing lots of stats to hit those numbers.

Something I’ve noticed a lot on this forum is the underutilization of Celestial accessories. They’re extremely powerful in defensive builds to set a high baseline on which you can easily build your stats. What I mean is that they can provide phenomenal offensive stats (crit damage, crit chance, power) with very little, if no, loss to defensive stats (toughness, vitality, healing power). Healing power is also often ignored by people, even though a core functionality of our class, while specced defensively, revolves around passive and active healing.

Keep in mind that this is all for group WvW play. I wouldn’t use this kind of build for solo roaming because of the lack of gap closers and reliance on perma-fury. That said, I don’t enjoy Guardian roaming and tend to use my Mesmer for that side of the game.

Boonprot 80 G
[Ark] Maguuma

in Guardian

Legionnaire.1586

Hope this helps

X/Shield can be as viable as X/Focus in terms of PvE DPS, so that problem can be easily resolved. However, I wouldn’t particularly recommend shield in WvW outside of roaming. Even then, I would argue that the 3x block+burst from focus 5 and blind/cleanse on the 5 would be much better. Even in zerg play, Mace+Shield/Staff is a very specialized build that requires a lot of fiddling to get right in terms of gear loadout and trait distribution. It’s good, but I’m more partial to something along the lines of the following:

http://intothemists.com/calc/?build=-7;4NFk40J3NGF90;9;54TT4;435A18A;16wl0U;1CqNYCqNY20kW0-k7;3jVp0t1yY3_950uVIF310;9;9;9;9;9;9;04-6X

That’s the bones of what I run, minus the optimization. You can easily eek out 200+ more Healing Power and still maintain almost the exact same Vitality, Toughness, Power, and Precision. You’ll also notice that I don’t have much more than 20% crit chance. In a zerg or group setting, you should have access to perma-fury, so a combined 50% chance is usually enough in a defensive frontline role. Even for DPS, I wouldn’t recommend venturing north of 35%-40%, because you’re often sacrificing lots of stats to hit those numbers.

Something I’ve noticed a lot on this forum is the underutilization of Celestial accessories. They’re extremely powerful in defensive builds to set a high baseline on which you can easily build your stats. What I mean is that they can provide phenomenal offensive stats (crit damage, crit chance, power) with very little, if no, loss to defensive stats (toughness, vitality, healing power). Healing power is also often ignored by people, even though a core functionality of our class, while specced defensively, revolves around passive and active healing.

Keep in mind that this is all for group WvW play. I wouldn’t use this kind of build for solo roaming because of the lack of gap closers and reliance on perma-fury. That said, I don’t enjoy Guardian roaming and tend to use my Mesmer for that side of the game.

So from my understanding i can substitute the shield instead of focus and run a Shield/sword & GS build in PvE but it wont be as viable as sword focus in WvW

in Guardian

Posted by: Sannhet.8745

Sannhet.8745

Full berserker, scholar runes, sword/focus + gs, 10/30/0/20/10 and you’re good to go.

He does if he likes the playstyle.

So many people in this game forget the point of gaming: to have fun.

BTW, OP, I do entirely agree with the people saying you’re going to need two gear setups. Unless you do something suboptimal but semi viable like Celestial gear.

If you like M/S – GS you could make a pretty good symbol DPS build for use in PvE that would also work fairly well in WvW with M/S – Staff/GS/Hammer. I did for awhile, and the DPS is pretty comparable to a lot of the builds people claim are the be-all-end-all of PvE. Either way you slice it though, you’ll need a bit more survivability in WvW.

in Guardian

Boonprot.6274

So from my understanding i can substitute the shield instead of focus and run a Shield/sword & GS build in PvE but it wont be as viable as sword focus in WvW

More or less, yes. Shield offhand provides an AoE pushback/absorb with a burstable heal and conal protection application. So long as you use the skills intelligently, I see no reason why it can’t be as viable as Focus. Also, keep in mind that Sword/Focus for WvW would only be in solo to small group roaming contexts. It’s not viable at all elsewhere.

I’d also like to emphasize that most of this discussion is about effectiveness. If you really loathe an entire playstyle, there’s no sense in forcing yourself to play it. However, you have to be aware that you’ll be called out and potentially kicked from groups.

Boonprot 80 G
[Ark] Maguuma

in Guardian

Legionnaire.1586

More or less, yes. Shield offhand provides an AoE pushback/absorb with a burstable heal and conal protection application. So long as you use the skills intelligently, I see no reason why it can’t be as viable as Focus. Also, keep in mind that Sword/Focus for WvW would only be in solo to small group roaming contexts. It’s not viable at all elsewhere.

I’d also like to emphasize that most of this discussion is about effectiveness. If you really loathe an entire playstyle, there’s no sense in forcing yourself to play it. However, you have to be aware that you’ll be called out and potentially kicked from groups.

I gotcha, my final question to you now would be what gear would i use for this build and the spec. So what Mace (or scepter)/ shield and armor/runes? On top then skills and traits/food buffs.

in Guardian

Posted by: colesy.8490

colesy.8490

He does if he likes the playstyle.

So many people in this game forget the point of gaming: to have fun.

BTW, OP, I do entirely agree with the people saying you’re going to need two gear setups. Unless you do something suboptimal but semi viable like Celestial gear.

If you like M/S – GS you could make a pretty good symbol DPS build for use in PvE that would also work fairly well in WvW with M/S – Staff/GS/Hammer. I did for awhile, and the DPS is pretty comparable to a lot of the builds people claim are the be-all-end-all of PvE. Either way you slice it though, you’ll need a bit more survivability in WvW.

And you forget the people can have fun playing optimally.

You see, I like actually being useful to my parties.

Sanctum of Rall (NA) – [LOD] – PvE/Dungeon Phantasm Mesmer build
Morrï (Mesmer) | Serah Mahariel (Guardian) | Morrï Mahariel (Warrior)
“colesy’s on rampage today. Slaying casuals left, right and centre” – spoj

in Guardian

Sannhet.8745

I didn’t forget it. I’m not the one speaking in absolutes. You are. Him having fun using M/S is not the same thing as you not having fun min/maxing. Perhaps you should stop assuming I’m saying things other than exactly what I said.

FYI – Mace/Shield (and nearly every other weapon set) is useful to your party. Most of the guys whose builds you copy carry both those weapons in their bags for just the kind of situation where it is useful.

Or maybe you just don’t actually understand the definition of useful.

Either way, not turning this into yet another reincarnation of this debate. OP – if you have interest in a build that DOES utilize M/S because you enjoy it, I’ll put one up for you. If, however, you’re interested in min/maxing for the most DPS, the suggestions here are all correct.

in Guardian

Legionnaire.1586

I didn’t forget it. I’m not the one speaking in absolutes. You are. Him having fun using M/S is not the same thing as you not having fun min/maxing. Perhaps you should stop assuming I’m saying things other than exactly what I said.

FYI – Mace/Shield (and nearly every other weapon set) is useful to your party. Most of the guys whose builds you copy carry both those weapons in their bags for just the kind of situation where it is useful.

Or maybe you just don’t actually understand the definition of useful.

Either way, not turning this into yet another reincarnation of this debate. OP – if you have interest in a build that DOES utilize M/S because you enjoy it, I’ll put one up for you. If, however, you’re interested in min/maxing for the most DPS, the suggestions here are all correct.

Nope im interested in a M/S build for tankiness/survivability

in Guardian

Sannhet.8745

@OP – http://tinyurl.com/mg35ths

^ More DPS oriented, will not get you kicked from pugs if they ask you to ping your gear and actually does pretty respectable damage, as well as helping with vuln stacking due to your constant symbol application. It’s as squishy as any other zerker build. I took consecrations because I run with a shout guard a lot and the consecrations come in handy (for might stacking, condition clears, projectile blocking/reflect). However, you can get rid of them all and put the 20 points wherever you want, including into Zeal or Radiance for more domoges.

http://tinyurl.com/la3jx6t

^ What I’m actually running right now because my Guard is just one of many alts and I didn’t want to make multiple gear sets for him. I use the same build in WvW and PvE. It is much tankier than the first, at the cost of A LOT of damage. Still does enough to be viable. Better than clerics or soldiers anyway.

Thing to remember with symbol DPS builds is – don’t activate your F1 all the time unless you have another source of constant burning in the party, your symbols will proc your F1 passive enough to constantly have it up for the 10% damage increase.

Disclaimer: Neither of these builds will be considered the best thing since sliced bread in PvE and you WILL get kitten for using them in pugs if they ask for your trait lines or some kitten (who knows, I don’t run kitten with pugs anymore, because I actually have a guild that isn’t kitten). Just remember: as long as you’re contributing while having fun, kitten everyone else.

They are, however, pretty amazing in WvW (just sub out GS for staff if you need to – it still has a symbol for your needs).

in Guardian

Posted by: Relentliss.2170

Relentliss.2170

The mace is a hilarious troll weapon.

Try 0/0/20/30/20.
Basically valor the mace feat. Honor larger symbols, lower cd shouts, pure voice. Virtue absolute resolution.
Runes- monk/water/traveller
Sigils -accuracy, energy
Gear clerics trinkets, pvt armor, precision food, weapons cleric

This is very tanky. You will have healing and protection basically non-stop.

You hit like a noodle though.

We don’t need to make mandatory gear treadmills, we make all of it optional

Anet lied (where’s the Manifesto now?)

in Guardian

Legionnaire.1586

Thanks for all the responses guys, i think ill choose one of Sannhets builds. Much appreciated, ill try it out.

in Guardian

Legionnaire.1586

^ More DPS oriented, will not get you kicked from pugs if they ask you to ping your gear and actually does pretty respectable damage, as well as helping with vuln stacking due to your constant symbol application. It’s as squishy as any other zerker build. I took consecrations because I run with a shout guard a lot and the consecrations come in handy (for might stacking, condition clears, projectile blocking/reflect). However, you can get rid of them all and put the 20 points wherever you want, including into Zeal or Radiance for more domoges.

^ What I’m actually running right now because my Guard is just one of many alts and I didn’t want to make multiple gear sets for him. I use the same build in WvW and PvE. It is much tankier than the first, at the cost of A LOT of damage. Still does enough to be viable. Better than clerics or soldiers anyway.

Thing to remember with symbol DPS builds is – don’t activate your F1 all the time unless you have another source of constant burning in the party, your symbols will proc your F1 passive enough to constantly have it up for the 10% damage increase.

Disclaimer: Neither of these builds will be considered the best thing since sliced bread in PvE and you WILL get kitten for using them in pugs if they ask for your trait lines or some kitten (who knows, I don’t run kitten with pugs anymore, because I actually have a guild that isn’t kitten). Just remember: as long as you’re contributing while having fun, kitten everyone else.

They are, however, pretty amazing in WvW (just sub out GS for staff if you need to – it still has a symbol for your needs).

I think ill try out the current build you use now but what would you substitute for divinity runes as those are pretty pricey atm

in Guardian

Sannhet.8745

I think ill try out the current build you use now but what would you substitute for divinity runes as those are pretty pricey atm

Eh Ruby Orbs is a cheap standby. Celestial Armor is pretty pricey too, but with time instead of gold…a full set takes a month to make.

in Guardian

Posted by: akamon.2769

akamon.2769

like many have said, i think at least two gear sets would be optimal. solely because the approach to PvE and WvW are so different. but of course, you can make anything work. a simple trait change would fix that, but then one could argue you’re not giving yoruself the very best. : ))

if you want to play GS and mace/shield, i’d lean towards a symbol DPS build as well. i actually play mine with meditations and Monk’s Focus. GS and mace/focus, though i can see mace/shield working as well.

traits are x/x/30/20+/x

and from personal experience, if i am roaming solo or in small fights vs <5, i feel GS does excel. while in 5+ fights hammer does very very well. then in zerg fights staff reigns supreme lol. and all can utilize symbols. though GS works in all situations as well if you want tos tick with that. if you’re able to drop two symbols and keep them in there, watch the numbers tick. and just for reference, you can pull off around two symbol of faiths (mace) for symbol of wrath (GS) to be back up again.

make sure to use your shield to push people off cliffs, bridges, high ledges, etc

though argubly, shield doesn’t have AS large a place in PvE (best use i’ve found was in projectile heavy dungeons) but even then, you can use utilities to better help out and still have other weapon skills. : )) just my views.

Akaimon | Jolly Good Guardian
Akaigi | Warrior Made of Wood
[CDS] – Sanctum of Rall

in Guardian

Posted by: Arthos Ravron.3796

Arthos Ravron.3796

Symbolic Exposure + Mace

That is all.

Commander of FoW, Lieutenant of [AKP], and Proud Human and Guardian

“Humanity cannot grasp Utopia for it refuses to be worthy of it”

in Guardian

Relentliss.2170

though argubly, shield doesn’t have AS large a place in PvE (best use i’ve found was in projectile heavy dungeons) but even then, you can use utilities to better help out and still have other weapon skills. : )) just my views.

Its great if you want to solo champions as you can keep protection up 100%. I’ve solo’d some of the Frostgorge champs when I was bored and stuck in overflow. Took forever but they couldn’t really hurt me much.

I used it a bit in WvW and Spvp but got bored with it after a while.

(edited by Relentliss.2170)

in Guardian

Posted by: guanlongwucaii.3162

guanlongwucaii.3162

Its great if you want to solo champions as you can keep protection up 100%. I’ve solo’d some of the Frostgorge champs when I was bored and stuck in overflow. Took forever but they couldn’t really hurt me much.

I used it a bit in WvW and Spvp but got bored with it after a while.

hammer.

shield is crap.

in Guardian

Posted by: Bloodgruve.6038

Bloodgruve.6038

For Mace/Shield Tanky survival with some DPS I’d run a 10/30/0/30/0 build. This gives you almost full time Protection with shield, Protectors Strike and Shouts. Boon duration helps alot here. Thought Runes of Earth gave 20% Prot duration, says 15% in the calc.

This build will mitigate 43% incoming damage off the top. If you run Knights armor you’ll have more mitigation or you can run Zerker n you’re still very tanky. Use Protectors Strike before combat as you’re running in before you get hit.

If you switch around some gear and traits you can run this as DPS and you can optimize it for any weapon. From what I’ve tested most weapons will output similar DPS if built right, this build will do best with Sword and GSword I think.

“Real knowledge is to know the extent of one’s ignorance”

in Guardian

Galtrix.7369

Hope this helps

Cleric armor and runes as well as cleric trinkets. It really gives a boost to healing. If you find that you need more boon duration, you can always use runes that give you extra boon duration.

in Guardian

Sannhet.8745

Hope this helps

Cleric armor and runes as well as cleric trinkets. It really gives a boost to healing. If you find that you need more boon duration, you can always use runes that give you extra boon duration.

Cleric is a waste in PvE. It’s halfway decent in WvW.

Soldier is also a waste in PvE, but is pretty good for a frontline build in WvW.

Play the spec/weap setup you want but don’t make yourself into nothing but your utility spells in a dungeon run. Do some damage, tanks aren’t needed in this game, and anchors don’t have to be wearing PVT gear.

in Guardian

Galtrix.7369

Hope this helps

Cleric is a waste in PvE. It’s halfway decent in WvW.

Soldier is also a waste in PvE, but is pretty good for a frontline build in WvW.

Play the spec/weap setup you want but don’t make yourself into nothing but your utility spells in a dungeon run. Do some damage, tanks aren’t needed in this game, and anchors don’t have to be wearing PVT gear.

Like hell it is. You obviously don’t play in many group-based events, do you? Not only can you bring the hurt with this build, but it’s mainly to keep your party intact and alive while buffing the crap out of them so they can do as much damage as you’re doing. Let me put it this way… if 40% of players that show up to Teq are guardians with this build… then Teq would literally die in 7 minutes. Not many people can die while having every boon that the guardian can give. You would pretty much have to try and die.

Plus, I just tested this build out in SPvP and it’s really awesome, even though the dps is lacking a little. Practically nobody could kill me while I was beating the crap out of some little Asuras. At the end they all decided to attack me at once and I died in about 12 seconds. Top rank though!

in Guardian

Posted by: Oxxy.7068

Oxxy.7068

if 40% of players that show up to Teq are guardians with this build… then Teq would literally die in 7 minutes.

Now that’s funny.

Luminifera ~ Guardian – Trisha Blackhands ~ Thief – Hua Yue ~ Elementalist.

in Guardian

Posted by: Obtena.7952

Obtena.7952

OH noes. This thread just fell off that slippery slope.

in Guardian

Sannhet.8745

Like hell it is. You obviously don’t play in many group-based events, do you? Not only can you bring the hurt with this build, but it’s mainly to keep your party intact and alive while buffing the crap out of them so they can do as much damage as you’re doing. Let me put it this way… if 40% of players that show up to Teq are guardians with this build… then Teq would literally die in 7 minutes. Not many people can die while having every boon that the guardian can give. You would pretty much have to try and die.

Plus, I just tested this build out in SPvP and it’s really awesome, even though the dps is lacking a little. Practically nobody could kill me while I was beating the crap out of some little Asuras. At the end they all decided to attack me at once and I died in about 12 seconds. Top rank though!

Notice how I didn’t mention sPvP? Almost every single bunker guard runs a cleric ammy.

And yes, on world bosses PVT (or cleric…I guess) is pretty good because you can’t crit the bosses. My mistake, should have emphasized that its crap for dungeons and fractals, i.e. 90% of PvE content…but I guess if you want two sets of gear for your pve content you could certainly do that. Not like soldiers/clerics are hard to get or anything.

I’d also point out you didn’t make that distinction either, so don’t go getting up on a pedestal or what not.

(edited by Sannhet.8745)

in Guardian

Relentliss.2170

Hope this helps

In the one build, if your primary weapon is Mace isn’t Writ of the Mericful redundant. Might be better with longer lasting symbols or something.

in Guardian

Posted by: Breckmoney.6387

Breckmoney.6387

Curios what everyone thinks of this build I’ve tried the last couple days versus a standard Healway build specifically for WvW in a 15-30 person group: http://intothemists.com/calc/?build=V8;4RFV50J3RGF90;9;6JTJ;446-19B18-cw01;2UydbT9fg50Fe-Hk7;2Vl-sWv1-Z5_Ba750DN3H0A;9;9;9;9;9;9V3-6A

ITM doesn’t have Traveler runes updated yet so add 10% boon duration and some minor stats. In practice I find it more survivable but I have to pay really close attention where I drop symbols to not overwrite water blasts. I also miss the extra stability from IC and not having a hammer on hand to blast and CC. Neither one really seems better, just different.

Anno [GAF] – SBI

in Guardian

Sannhet.8745

Hope this helps

In the one build, if your primary weapon is Mace isn’t Writ of the Mericful redundant. Might be better with longer lasting symbols or something.

Mace symbol gives regen, Writ of the Merciful direct heals. Even were that not the case, one would not prohibit the other from proccing, the same way hitting a mob with a skill that causes vulnerability and critting to proc vulnerability applies 2 stacks (or however many).

in Guardian

Posted by: akamon.2769

akamon.2769

i actually really like writ of the merciful with the mace. some added healing never hurts. it’s no burst healing, but enough to give you a bit more room to spec for damage [added: (for PvP/WvW even, i feel like i have to clarify in this thread :///)]

Akaimon | Jolly Good Guardian
Akaigi | Warrior Made of Wood
[CDS] – Sanctum of Rall