Regarding ascended weapons

in Guardian

Posted by: Crapgame.6519

Crapgame.6519

I know I am not the only Guardian with this issue but Arena Net, what the hell; over!

I carry, and use daily, every weapon we can use. Did it ever enter your mind that some classes may have a wee bit more difficult time at this than others? Silly design.

Main – Laaz Rocket – Guardian (Ehmry Bay)
Johnny Johnny – Ranger (Ehmry Bay)
Hárvey Wallbanger – Alt Warrior (Ehmry Bay)

in Guardian

Posted by: Alexei.4698

Alexei.4698

I was just doing the math on this myself.

OCCUPY ORR!!!

in Guardian

Posted by: Dahkeus.8243

Dahkeus.8243

Yup, and it’s even worse for thieves. Running a typical dungeon, I’m using 2 daggers for single target fights, a short bow for AoE/Trash/Blast Finishers, 2 pistols on single target ranged boss fights, and a sword for several other situations such as when mobs have tons of boons (Dredge Fractal), when blind field tanking is ideal (Line of Sight pulls), etc.

in Guardian

Posted by: timidobserver.7925

timidobserver.7925

I guess im the only person that can make an ascneded and still be fine with swapping off to exotics.

in Guardian

Posted by: Naranek.3467

Naranek.3467

I guess im the only person that can make an ascneded and still be fine with swapping off to exotics.

That’s fine in the short term, but eventually most of us would like to have the best gear, at least for our main weapons. Sword, focus, maybe even greatsword, and of course the aquatics, I can live without; the rest, though, are almost necessary. I main with a staff. I switch off to either hammer, mace/shield, or mace/torch. In WvW, I often run scepter/shield, especially in sieges. The boost of the weapon itself plus the infusion can mean a lot of difference. Too bad Anet decided to turn it into a massive money sink.

in Guardian

Posted by: style.6173

style.6173

Actually, the issue is getting to 500. Once you are at 500, it just takes time to get the ingredients. You will eventually get every weapon you want. It just will take awhile.

in Guardian

Posted by: CptAurellian.9537

CptAurellian.9537

True. Though I’m still no friend of the ascendeds, at least the effort after reaching weaponsmith 500 is not too much. Greatsword is done, now a sword, the rest is rather irrelevant.

Warning! This post may contain traces of irony, sarcasm and peanuts.

There is no loyalty without betrayal. -Ann Smiley

in Guardian

Crapgame.6519

Pretty much. I mean yes, I agree. I should be finding the positives and not the negatives. I apologize. However, it is frustrating, to me, based on how I play the game with my time investment.

If I added in some PvE into the mix maybe it would not be has bad I’d wager. But yeah, was doing some math to craft (my fault I’ve not mastered any (starting from zero)) then mats, et all, and was like this isn’t fun – lol.

Oh well, I do know I’m not in the boat alone I guess kitten , I’m a Debbie Downer. Sorry.

in Guardian

Posted by: Dark Catalyst.1028

Dark Catalyst.1028

I’m incredibly disappointed by ANet because they decided to introduce vertical progression and gear grinding. To the point where I don’t even want to log on anymore.

in Guardian

Posted by: Yaki.9563

Yaki.9563

Off-hands are almost unnecessary as the stat difference is very small and there is no weapon damage contribution.

Personally I’m not crafting any. I enjoy the randomness of finding weapon drops and they aren’t especially rare (not like precursors).

in Guardian

Crapgame.6519

Off-hands are almost unnecessary as the stat difference is very small and there is no weapon damage contribution.

Personally I’m not crafting any. I enjoy the randomness of finding weapon drops and they aren’t especially rare (not like precursors).

Do they drop from WvW? Because that is about all I do. I’ve tried to do fractals but I just couldn’t stomach it They honestly look nice but I just don’t have the time to dedicate to PvE dungeon runs. I don’t mean that in any negative way I just mean I honestly don’t want to spend a couple hours in them.

I’m guessing from the tower captures and those chests maybe?

in Guardian

Posted by: akamon.2769

akamon.2769

what’s what i was going to say. supposedly they drop from fractals and champ bags. so i assume, the champ bags u get from tower captures, you should be able to get ’em. no source though, but just assuming from what we do know.

and good luck!D take your time with ’em. know that you can overcome your foes, with or without ascended gear, with superior skillllzzzzzD

jokes aside, i will make a small point, i rushed to make my ascended. got 400-500 done in the first day. and then started farming temples, dungeons, harvesting even more than i used to, and doing all the time-gated crafts.. but now? i’m a few dungeons away from my first, but i’ve just been taking my time. even though they introduced this type of gear progression, and even though i WANT it, i told myself “you’re going to ahve more fun than have to want and need everything now.” and it’s been working so far. and the day i DO get it? it’ll be awesome.

i’ve also heard and been told, after the first one, the second, third, fourth won’t be nearly as “bad”. : )) so hang in there!

Akaimon | Jolly Good Guardian
Akaigi | Warrior Made of Wood
[CDS] – Sanctum of Rall

in Guardian

Posted by: timidobserver.7925

timidobserver.7925

That’s fine in the short term, but eventually most of us would like to have the best gear, at least for our main weapons. Sword, focus, maybe even greatsword, and of course the aquatics, I can live without; the rest, though, are almost necessary. I main with a staff. I switch off to either hammer, mace/shield, or mace/torch. In WvW, I often run scepter/shield, especially in sieges. The boost of the weapon itself plus the infusion can mean a lot of difference. Too bad Anet decided to turn it into a massive money sink.

Eventually you can. The second ascended is much easier than the first. I haven’t even focused on making a second one and I have most of the mats I need already just from casual WvW.

in Guardian

Posted by: Guanglai Kangyi.4318

Guanglai Kangyi.4318

Guardian has plenty of weapon choices but it actually only needs four of them to be ascended: greatsword, sword, scepter, and either shield or focus. The other weapons are bad for DPS and you really don’t need to get ascended for them just for the extra 5% damage. The actual stat difference on them is extremely marginal in terms of overall DPS as well.

Compared to most of the other professions, 4 DPS-viable weapons is a lot, but it’s not really excessive. Ascended mats are easy to get anyway other than Dragonite, which is dumb and should be taken out.

in Guardian

Posted by: Quarktastic.1027

Quarktastic.1027

Sometimes I feel like I’m the only person who just doesn’t give a kitten about ascended weapons. I don’t even care about ascended trinkets either. Hell, my guardian still has a green back piece from his personal story.

If I happen to get an ascended weapon as a drop, that’s fine. But I won’t go out of my way to craft one.

Those armadillos would be a lot cooler if they looked more like real armadillos. mmm armadillos
-BnooMaGoo.5690

in Guardian

Posted by: GSSBlunaspike.4153

GSSBlunaspike.4153

In an average few hours of play I usually use scepter,focus,shield,gs,1hs,hammer,staff. The thing about professions like Guardian, and the very few others that switch often, is that it’s kind of part of the profession. Most of them use the same main/offhand all of the time. With my warrior I never switch. I can’t remember the last time I switched other than when I got bored the other day and equiped…a rifle instead of a lb. Otherwise it’s the exact same weapons every day. I’ve almost never found myself on my warrior going “wow I wish I had a third, or fourth, weapon setup”. While on my guardian about every 20 minutes I’m thinking “kitten I wish I had a fourth, fifth, or sixth weapon setup”.

Though I am a big proponent of the idea that you should use what is most effective for the situation.

in Guardian

Posted by: bri.2359

bri.2359

What makes you think guardian is the only class that uses a lot of weapons??

I only PvE, and my main guardian weapons are GS, Staff and scepter/focus. I carry all the others, but they are very situational for me.

Meanwhile on my ranger I am always swapping between a LB & SB setup and sword/dagger with axe/axe or axe/warhorn.

So, 4 regular weapons for my guardian and at least 6 for my ranger means crafting 10 ascended weapons. This a joke, and for that reason I have no interest in ascended weapons for either my guard or ranger.

Lvl 80’s: Ranger; Guardian; Mesmer; Necromancer; Thief
Gandara Megaserver

in Guardian

Posted by: Amins.3710

Amins.3710

This is a PvE game.

It is not an eSport Game.

It is not a PvP Game.

It is not a WvW Game.

The above mentioned “Modes” are just mini-games within the World of PvE.

Once you accept this, things become much brighter because you stop logging on and buying Gems. =]

This cold fact hit very hard after the leaked patch and I haven’t log’d onto my Guard since.

Amins – Guardian
Gameplay Video’s & Forum Post

in Guardian

Posted by: Gnat.9405

Gnat.9405

Ascended weapons are designed to be long term goals.

in Guardian

Crapgame.6519

This is a PvE game.

It is not an eSport Game.

It is not a PvP Game.

It is not a WvW Game.

The above mentioned “Modes” are just mini-games within the World of PvE.

Once you accept this, things become much brighter because you stop logging on and buying Gems. =]

This cold fact hit very hard after the leaked patch and I haven’t log’d onto my Guard since.

Yeah, I have a feeling you are correct. In fact, I saw you on your Mesmer I think last night. You Traitor! Just kidding. I am, really.

Part of what had me thinking was the new map and the necessity to control the new points. Wondering if this would change the play style at all for some of the heavier support classes out in WvW due to the requirement of decay. Or, if larger servers will just wise up and have one large zerg with smaller subsets doing a ring around the rose deal to keep them current.

Either way still a wee bit frustrated over the whole mess.

in Guardian

Alexei.4698

It hit me when I realized that I was looking forward to the introduction of the Back-to-School Uniform town clothes more than I was the Guardian changes.

OCCUPY ORR!!!

in Guardian

Crapgame.6519

It hit me when I realized that I was looking forward to the introduction of the Back-to-School Uniform town clothes more than I was the Guardian changes.

Lol. This actually made me giggle.

in Guardian

Posted by: Wukunlin.8461

Wukunlin.8461

Guardian has plenty of weapon choices but it actually only needs four of them to be ascended: greatsword, sword, scepter, and either shield or focus. The other weapons are bad for DPS and you really don’t need to get ascended for them just for the extra 5% damage. The actual stat difference on them is extremely marginal in terms of overall DPS as well.

Compared to most of the other professions, 4 DPS-viable weapons is a lot, but it’s not really excessive. Ascended mats are easy to get anyway other than Dragonite, which is dumb and should be taken out.

I thought hammers have better sustained damage than GS or is that another myth?

Oceanic [LOD]

in Guardian

Posted by: Happyfool.8951

Happyfool.8951

Yup, and it’s even worse for thieves. Running a typical dungeon, I’m using 2 daggers for single target fights, a short bow for AoE/Trash/Blast Finishers, 2 pistols on single target ranged boss fights, and a sword for several other situations such as when mobs have tons of boons (Dredge Fractal), when blind field tanking is ideal (Line of Sight pulls), etc.

you only “need” to have ascended tier for the weapon type you use for boss fights in fractals

We all do as we must to make our way in this world and unfortunately,
we have to do things others may qualify as “evil”.
~Krunch Bloodrage, Looking For Group

in Guardian

Posted by: fnordette.4139

fnordette.4139

Do they drop from WvW? Because that is about all I do. I’ve tried to do fractals but I just couldn’t stomach it They honestly look nice but I just don’t have the time to dedicate to PvE dungeon runs. I don’t mean that in any negative way I just mean I honestly don’t want to spend a couple hours in them.

I’m guessing from the tower captures and those chests maybe?

Yes. Any of the main…. uh dudes (I dont WvW very often) in one of the… building things… can drop one. Pretty much anyone who drops a box can. I got one in WvW. Carrion stats, which meant I didn’t use it for my guardian, but they definitely drop.

in Guardian

Posted by: Svarty.8019

Svarty.8019

Am I the only one who can live with 20 less stats in a dungeon that is no more difficult than before?

Nobody at Anet loves WvW like Grouch loved PvP. That’s what we need, a WvW Grouch, but taller.

in Guardian

Crapgame.6519

It is additive. Back, neck, rings, ear rings, and now weapons. 2014 brings armor. Get the picture now?

Looks, that is another story. Dress up Barbie is how the game was originally sold. Since it is dress up and grind (Barbie must be having a great time )

My post here was actually just frustration over the possibility of making all the weapons you actively use. Has some pointed out, which I sort of overlooked, is that do your primary first, others it isn’t important and exotics work just as well provided you have the rest of the slots fitted.

in Guardian

Posted by: Quarktastic.1027

Quarktastic.1027

I thought hammers have better sustained damage than GS or is that another myth?

The only time a hammer has better sustained damage is when it’s striking 5 targets.

Those armadillos would be a lot cooler if they looked more like real armadillos. mmm armadillos
-BnooMaGoo.5690

in Guardian

Alexei.4698

And tbh, the only thing I must go out of my way to grind for is that kitten dragon nite.

At the risk of sounding stupid, what is that?

OCCUPY ORR!!!

in Guardian

Crapgame.6519

What, Kitten? It is a small animal, with fur, four legs. Baby which turns into a cat that some people fancy and others hate. They are trying to take over the world and have it in for dogs…

Oh, Kitten. Arena Nets general word to replace bad word.

Oh, sorry. grind for the dragon. Dragon or champions probably is what he means for loot bags or a chance of ascended weapons.

in Guardian

Alexei.4698

Thanks for the info. Don’t let the World-Wide-Intarwebs know about those…what do you call them…“kittens”?

Cuz’ next thing you know there will be pictures of them everywhere doing all sorts of stupid things, thinkin’ they’re all so kittening cute and kitten.

OCCUPY ORR!!!