Returning Player WvW Guardian Build Help

in Guardian

Posted by: Rhovian.9478

Rhovian.9478

I have not played since around 2014 my guardian is currently in solider gear and trinkets is this still good or there is better gear sets now? i do not have a guild atm so i am mostly running with zerg what is a good frontline build to jump back in with and what gear?

in Guardian

Posted by: Warrost.4895

Warrost.4895

in Guardian

Posted by: Infusion.7149

Infusion.7149

Traits
———-
Whatever build you run in WvW is going to have the virtues traitline. Without “Indomitable Courage” + “Absolute Resolution” you lose your emergency stability + condi clear.

If you run Valor, typically “lesser smite condition” is run along with “Altruistic healing”. The middle trait is either “strength in numbers” or “communal defenses”.

Honor is reserved for Pure of Voice unless you run mace.

Skills
————-
Hammer requires awareness of the light field you put out on auto.

Mace isn’t very effective without Honor traitline’s Force of Will & invigorated bulwark. It is run with a shield.

“Stand your ground!” should be stapled to your bar. I use Renewed Focus for elite,

Other utilities are usually dependent on your party , but purging flames/save yourselves (use F2 after it or contemplation of purity) are typically used.

Gear
———-
When I run guardian, I run wanderer’s gear (power,vitality,concentration,toughness) mixed with marauder (power,precision,vitality,ferocity) instead of celestial. It might be a bit suboptimal but it has longer boon duration (without relying on TWO Superior Sigil of Concentration), higher power, and more HP for condis.

Soldier’s is a bit dated but it should be fine , though I’d swap in Wanderer’s and a few pieces of marauder armor (it’s not that ridiculous to make unlike minstrel’s) or celestial for higher precision. If you are going through the Bloodstone fen areas, the Blood Ruby Backpack , Blood Ruby Pendant , Blood Ruby Band (one) will save you a lot of hassle in acquiring newer stats.

Regardless of how you get there, try to aim for 3K armor and 20K health.

Full soldier’s gear will likely be more defensive than you need to be if you run Durability runes. The 4% crit chance is abysmal , typically you can get 20-30% without giving up too much survivability provided you run celestial or 4 stat items.

Also because I don’t PvE often I run saffron bread which is much cheaper than mussels gnashblade.

DH
——

If you decide to run Dragonhunter: Hunter’s Fortification is nice to run as well as Hunter’s Determination. Be aware F2 (Wings of Resolve) gets a higher heal & removes immob , but is no longer instant.

Desolation (EU) → Yak’s Bend (US)
In your backline: Elementalist+Mesmer+Necromancer

(edited by Infusion.7149)

in Guardian

Posted by: Rhovian.9478

Rhovian.9478

Thanks for the detailed reply i was lucky enough to have all the materials from when i last played to make a set of celestial gear i am using the ah frontliner build atm and it seems to be doing me pretty well i just need to work on my positioning and making optimal use of utilities.