Rune Choices

Rune Choices

in Guardian

Posted by: mrauls.6519

mrauls.6519

Hi everyone,

I run 0/5/30/30/5, and I use traveler’s runes on my armor. My biggest enjoyment now stems from WvW roaming/dueling. I love the fact that I have +25% movement speed, but I want to push for more damage. I switched to traveler’s runes because I felt I didn’t connect w my opponents enough, and it has plenty of other perks as well (boon duration). I consider switching to damage runes like strength runes because I play very offensively. I realize the drop in movement speed would suck, but could I still effectively kill targets without the boost in speed?

If so, please explain how I could go about doing so w my current trait set-up. Thanks

Mes (Guardian)
I make PvP & WvW videos

Rune Choices

in Guardian

Posted by: Pleurodesed.7625

Pleurodesed.7625

I don’t really understand the question.
Just swap runes and go.
But I recommend you try it in spvp first, where it’s free.

Rune Choices

in Guardian

mrauls.6519

The question is do other guardians find +25% movement speed invaluable enough where it is the go to rune for roaming/small group fights. I’m considering using other runes, but I’m not sure if being slow again will get me kills

Mes (Guardian)
I make PvP & WvW videos

Rune Choices

in Guardian

Posted by: beanshee.5720

beanshee.5720

Guardian have many swiftness. Traveler no need.

Rune Choices

in Guardian

Posted by: Obtena.7952

Obtena.7952

The permanence of the speed boost on the runes is better than the the F’ed up way staff gives you runspeed. Plus, traveler’s runes were actually buffed in the patch. I’m not sure you will get more kills for a few points more stats from other runes unless the set your considering has some effect that you take advantage of with your build.

Rune Choices

in Guardian

Posted by: DrakoRoma.4167

DrakoRoma.4167

Out of curiosity, mrauls, what sigils do you use?

Rune Choices

in Guardian

Posted by: Noble.2670

Noble.2670

Swap to what runes you like for damage then replace your oil with a “swift Moa feather” there 30s off the trading post, and the speed increase works out around 25% to, problem solved :P! It’s what I use

Stupid Seven [sM]
my vids: https://tinyurl.com/sevenddelem

Rune Choices

in Guardian

Posted by: Crapgame.6519

Crapgame.6519

Traveler runes allow you to disengage or use some soft CC and catch the classes that can reset the fight and get away. Without speed our class has a lot of difficulty with people that can reset.

There are options like Twisted mentioned but has a solo roamer I’m not ready to ditch the traveler runes just yet. Like Obtena the nerf back in December or earlier was a game changer for symbol of swiftness and it is utterly worthless now(hey bad guy or girl who is chasing me to kill or mutilate my body, please stop when I do so I can cast this stupid symbol that grants me a few ticks of speed and the longer I stay in the longer my speed will last…yeah, not going to happen).

Main – Laaz Rocket – Guardian (Ehmry Bay)
Johnny Johnny – Ranger (Ehmry Bay)
Hárvey Wallbanger – Alt Warrior (Ehmry Bay)

Rune Choices

in Guardian

Posted by: Charak.9761

Charak.9761

I use my travelers

then use 2s stones over the 30s feathers

If you use 180 of these feathers, you paid for the price of the rune set

And when you’re roaming, you’re medi, and when you’re medi you’re not using staff/retreat

(edited by Charak.9761)

Rune Choices

in Guardian

Posted by: Noble.2670

Noble.2670

I use my travelers

then use 2s stones over the 30s feathers

If you use 180 of these feathers, you paid for the price of the rune set

And when you’re roaming, you’re medi, and when you’re medi you’re not using staff/retreat

I am a medi guard, I use a mix of soldier and zerker, so for me, using runes of wurm is a big damage increase, over using stones and traveller runes, and with the feathers I keep my movement speed, I am willing to spend the extra gold for the better stats, this was never a question of what works out the best price wise, but what is best stat wise, using the feathers gives you a much wider range of choice for your runes

Stupid Seven [sM]
my vids: https://tinyurl.com/sevenddelem

Rune Choices

in Guardian

mrauls.6519

Out of curiosity, mrauls, what sigils do you use?

Energy and Accuracy :-)

Mes (Guardian)
I make PvP & WvW videos

Rune Choices

in Guardian

mrauls.6519

I’m testing the rune that caught my eye in sPvP and it’s working very… interestingly

Mes (Guardian)
I make PvP & WvW videos

(edited by mrauls.6519)

Rune Choices

in Guardian

Posted by: Bloodclot.4896

Bloodclot.4896

I’ve been testing a lot of rune sets since the patch removed the 15% boon stacking and I can honestly say nothing seems to work better than travelers. I find the 25% speed increase invaluable, the all stat increase nice enough and at least you keep 15% boon. Mybe I’m not delving far enough away from my pre-patch build and will change my mind, certaintly soldiers in always an option. Using feathers means a dps decrease and a crap load of gold in the long run, dont fancy that option much.

Rune Choices

in Guardian

Posted by: SPNKr.6208

SPNKr.6208

I’d say stick with the Travelers. I find the biggest problem we face is getting kited since we don’t really have too many cripples/chills/immobilises. Travelers lets you stick to your target like nothing else I’ve found and greatly improves your effectiveness in melee combat.