Sancutuary Bubble?!?!

Sancutuary Bubble?!?!

in Guardian

Posted by: MunkeeBreath.9165

MunkeeBreath.9165

why is the sanctuary bubble so small? I know I know, many people will say its OP if its bigger but really? the bubble is WAY to small. if your going to make something that small, then the skill is pretty much useless, you can probably fit at most 3 people it there… what do you guys think?

Sancutuary Bubble?!?!

in Guardian

Posted by: Vitu.3580

Vitu.3580

I don’t mind it being so small. What wrong with it is it’s inconsistency. You can still take loads of damage while standing inside the bubble (AoEs, non-projectile ranged attacks, greatswords, stability, etc.)

Sancutuary Bubble?!?!

in Guardian

Posted by: MunkeeBreath.9165

MunkeeBreath.9165

I know the consistency is bad aswell but still, the size is horrible. At least make it as big as the greatsword symbol skill.

Sancutuary Bubble?!?!

in Guardian

Posted by: Red Falcon.8257

Red Falcon.8257

Meh… Sanctuary’s CD needs to be at least 60s base to be worth using.
It won’t work against players (stability) nor any mob with unstoppable (basically all mobs you would need to use Sanctuary against).

Sancutuary Bubble?!?!

in Guardian

Posted by: Harbinger.8637

Harbinger.8637

Sanctuary is pretty terrible tbh. Long CD even when traited. AoE can still hit you, hell even melee can hit you if they get as close as possible without touching it. Add in the fact that if they have stability they can just walk in. lawl

Oh and the size like you said doesn’t help.

Guardian WvW Guide!
Heavens Rage

Sancutuary Bubble?!?!

in Guardian

Posted by: Jax.5261

Jax.5261

Sanctuary is amazing in tPvP, I don’t play WvW enough to have decided.
But in PvP you pretty much have to have it, if you’re running any form of support. If it were much bigger it would be sooooo overpowered.
Right now it’s used for stopping stomps or securing stomps 95% of the time and sometimes if it’s your last option to stay alive.

Sancutuary Bubble?!?!

in Guardian

Posted by: Tarsius.3170

Tarsius.3170

Still has it’s place in WvW.

You can use it to deny zerg entry for a while when a gate or wall is breached .

With ground targeting it’s main utility is to knock people off towers or ledges.

You can use it to absorb a catapult strike if you place it correctly.

If nothing else it buys a few extra seconds to regroup or run for the hills

Occasionally I’ll switch it in for dungeons to keep rock dogs off the party ( combining with Ring of Warding and Line of Warding ).

I definitely wouldn’t keep it on my bar for any great period of time though, it IS a completely situational skill and the long CD will tie up a slot for a painful amount of time.

Warhaft Tarsius – Asura Guardian ( Desolation ) – [NUKE]
Guardian FAQ · BUGS · HEALING

(edited by Tarsius.3170)

Sancutuary Bubble?!?!

in Guardian

Posted by: Kwll.1468

Kwll.1468

But in PvP you pretty much have to have it, if you’re running any form of support. If it were much bigger it would be sooooo overpowered.
Right now it’s used for stopping stomps or securing stomps 95% of the time and sometimes if it’s your last option to stay alive.

Not as great as you make it out to be sorry even in TPVP. So you can secure one stomp or rez every 90 seconds. Never mind that you could conceivably still be aoe’d to death or even melee’d to death while in sanctuary since most melee attacks have like 130 range so they can reach you in sanctuary. Its a very buggy ability as well if you don’t “establish” yourself as being in sanctuary by moving and stopping it doesn’t effect you. I personally think its one of those things that pro’s use because everyone tells themselves how great it is but if you swapped it our for something else you wouldn’t really notice its gone. Basically you have convinced yourself how great it is based on the occasional high light type play you can make with it even though 99% of the time its not that great at all.

(edited by Kwll.1468)

Sancutuary Bubble?!?!

in Guardian

Posted by: somsom.5201

somsom.5201

I agree that the size kind of sucks and that the cd is pretty long, but that said…for those haters, I found a REALLY good use for it lately:

1. swap to gs
  2. drop sanctuary
  3. spam gs #5
  4. gs #4
  5. gs #3
  6. gs #2

This works INSANELY well for point defense, especially against multiple targets. If you combine it with shield #5 you can pretty effectively hold a point for a LONG LONG LONG time.

Nothing more fun than pulling kittenes into your sanctuary, knocking them down, leaping onto them and then doing some silly dmg while they are downed.

Outside of what I mentioned above I wouldn’t consider using it because it can be incredibly broken in certain cases. However, the technique I use it for works the vast majority of the time(unless I’m facing 2+ Guards with stability :| )

Sancutuary Bubble?!?!

in Guardian

Posted by: Iavra.8510

Iavra.8510

It’s actually very nice to block chokepoints (it’s really rare for a whole zerg to have stability…).

I also tend to cast it on top of cannons or ballistas when we start pushing forward.

The cd could really be lowered though…

Sancutuary Bubble?!?!

in Guardian

Posted by: Kangataz.6842

Kangataz.6842

I play predominantly PVE. This, traited with ground targeting has saved my teammates time and time again. Also I don’t know if it’s just me…have you noticed that casting time seems to improve with the ground target trait? This makes it all the more worth it. I usually play paired with an ele friend who’s a glass cannon. I admit, playing solo sanctuary seems to be almost useless, i would rather use my slot for SyS.

Sancutuary Bubble?!?!

in Guardian

Posted by: Jax.5261

Jax.5261

Not as great as you make it out to be sorry even in TPVP. So you can secure one stomp or rez every 90 seconds. Never mind that you could conceivably still be aoe’d to death or even melee’d to death while in sanctuary since most melee attacks have like 130 range so they can reach you in sanctuary. Its a very buggy ability as well if you don’t “establish” yourself as being in sanctuary by moving and stopping it doesn’t effect you. I personally think its one of those things that pro’s use because everyone tells themselves how great it is but if you swapped it our for something else you wouldn’t really notice its gone. Basically you have convinced yourself how great it is based on the occasional high light type play you can make with it even though 99% of the time its not that great at all.

The trait Consecrated Ground makes Sanctuary ranged and a half second cast instead of 1.5seconds. This means you can quickly use it to deny a stomp anywhere near you when they don’t have stability up. This is very important in teamfights which is what you should be building towards.

And the idea that I’ve ‘convinced myself’ is insane, I practice 5-10 hours each day and constantly try out different builds. I never rule anything out until I’ve had a lot of play time with it. Other players do the exact same thing, or they listen to me or other players who have tested that much, but I know what I’m talking about.

Other optionals instead are SY, Hallowed Ground, CoP or Purging Flames. None of these options are nearly as effective as having an ally survive a stomp. Not to mention if you get stuck by yourself none of them are going to match up to Sanct either. It also opens new plays (such as Timewarp + Sanct + Nullfield + Shield of Wrath = orb cap on Spirit Watch), Skills (Tome of Courage or other Guardians with Tomes) and cap methods (Banish, Zealots Embrace, Ring of Warding, Binding Chains, Sanctuary, Banish, Zealot’s Embrace, Binding Chains).
So it’s one of the Guardian’s most powerful skills and definitely doesn’t need a buff.

Sancutuary Bubble?!?!

in Guardian

Posted by: Nakoor.1980

Nakoor.1980

It’s not the size that matters it’s how you use it.

Sancutuary Bubble?!?!

in Guardian

Posted by: brandon.6735

brandon.6735

I call it the troll bubble in WvW. There so many funny things u can do with it.

Guardianhipster
Thiefhipster

Sancutuary Bubble?!?!

in Guardian

Posted by: roachsrealm.9284

roachsrealm.9284

I was using this with Hammer once and another guardian using GS.

We had 4 enemies, melee, around us.

I used Hammer 5 to keep the enemies in. He used GS 5 to chain them. We AoE’d and they tried to get away.

I used Bubble, he triggered the pull on GS 5.

The enemies bobbed back and forth between the ring ward and the bubble, bouncing no less than 3 times each. Interrupts abound, and was one of the funniest things I’ve ever seen in the game.

Otherwise, the skill is kind of useless in general, but shines in certain, specific situations.

Smitten Mittens (The Gothic Embrace [Goth], Fort Aspenwood)

Sancutuary Bubble?!?!

in Guardian

Posted by: Dristig.9678

Dristig.9678

The real problem is that it seems so much worse than Shield 5 which is on a 40sec cool down.

Sancutuary Bubble?!?!

in Guardian

Posted by: Iavra.8510

Iavra.8510

If you simply want to push away enemies around you then yes, shield #5 ist far better.

Sanctuary only really starts to shine when traited for ground-targeting. Unlike Shield #5 it can block chokepoints without someone having to risk his/her life for it (and, unlike statt #5, also blocks projectiles).

Blocking siege (sometimes even multiple when they are placed near to each other) for a period of time also can give the needed chance to push forward and break into enemy lines.

Sancutuary Bubble?!?!

in Guardian

Kangataz.6842

If you simply want to push away enemies around you then yes, shield #5 ist far better.

Sanctuary only really starts to shine when traited for ground-targeting. Unlike Shield #5 it can block chokepoints without someone having to risk his/her life for it (and, unlike statt #5, also blocks projectiles).

Blocking siege (sometimes even multiple when they are placed near to each other) for a period of time also can give the needed chance to push forward and break into enemy lines.

yup and if you can’t run fast enough to your dying teammate, just plop this thing from afar, aaaah so nice.

Sancutuary Bubble?!?!

in Guardian

Posted by: ArashiKai.2496

ArashiKai.2496

I think sanctuary is far from useless, just a bit more niche than other utilities. For example, if Hodgins is getting mobbed, dropo a bubble on him and its a gauranteed 6 seconds of safety for him, not to mention that it does heal him a bit for some more borrowed time when it expires. It won’t outright fix a problem for you, but can REAALLLLYYy help with some.

Fear not me, but the Tempest that I am!

Sancutuary Bubble?!?!

in Guardian

Posted by: Svarty.8019

Svarty.8019

1. swap to gs
  2. drop sanctuary
  3. spam gs #5

This is hilarious after portal-bombing a zerg. Boing!

Nobody at Anet loves WvW like Grouch loved PvP. That’s what we need, a WvW Grouch, but taller.

Sancutuary Bubble?!?!

in Guardian

Posted by: Tim.9850

Tim.9850

This is just another skill that is a joke in my opinion. It stops/prevents very little damage, and it also lasts way too short a time.

There are way too many mobs that cast that ground attack spell that the sanctuary does nothing against.

Sancutuary Bubble?!?!

in Guardian

Posted by: Tim.9850

Tim.9850

Funny how so many here claim its so great. It has stopped very little whenever I have used it. In fact I literally am embarrassed to use it, due to it being so ineffective.

People will run in the bubble only to die.

Sancutuary Bubble?!?!

in Guardian

Kangataz.6842

yeah it’s not so great untraited….

Sancutuary Bubble?!?!

in Guardian

Posted by: Ketharius.9018

Ketharius.9018

Sanctuary is incredible in tPvP and WvWvW.

Especially in well organized guild groups.

Tarnished Coast
[FUNK] Squad

Sancutuary Bubble?!?!

in Guardian

Posted by: somsom.5201

somsom.5201

Funny how so many here claim its so great. It has stopped very little whenever I have used it. In fact I literally am embarrassed to use it, due to it being so ineffective.

People will run in the bubble only to die.

It isn’t so great for “stopping”. A lot of skills in GW2 aren’t so great for the use stated on the tooltip. It is great for “offensive” usage. If you’re trying to use it for a block or a heal…yea not so great. But using it in a manner not really “intended” makes it quite powerful for knockbacks, area denial, semi-perma stun, etc.

Sancutuary Bubble?!?!

in Guardian

Posted by: Azshene.1798

Azshene.1798

Personally I find it really amazing in tPvP, I’ve lost count of the times this has saved the lives of me or my teammates in large fights, helped me survive against 3 people for enough time for my team to show up, or used to secure stomps or rallies (especially useful when thieves try to rally allies with shadow refuge). I personally rarely just stand around in it after popping it, but use it as a pillar to kite my enemies around, that’s situational though.

Bonus uses:

- Knock people off clock tower with it when they position themselves on the walkways on the sides or above.

- Lock people in tight areas like the crevices around the mid node on legacy or the area between the 2 ledges midnode on forest. You can even have your allies bait enemies there.

- Block off paths/stairs to stop people from assisting nodes or chasing your allies.

- Use it as a ranged interrupt to stop res skills like signet of undeath.

In my opinion it’s one of the most powerful skills in the game when traited so it’s area targeted and has shorter cast time, mainly because it has so many viable uses. It’s just a matter of how you position it and the timing of when you use it.

(edited by Azshene.1798)

Sancutuary Bubble?!?!

in Guardian

Posted by: BlueprintLFE.2358

BlueprintLFE.2358

I love this skill in concept, but I Laugh at Guardians that use this skill in TPVP or in WvW. Only place I have seen it used well is to block the keep stairs in Forest. Otherwise I’m praying that someone pops sanctuary as ill just auto attack you through it and laugh as you waste a utility skill. When I switched from guardian to warrior in TPVP and I would see a guardian use this ability to Rez a teammate I would just 100B on the edge of the bubble and hit then both.

It’s a great concept, and if you are going to make a utility skill with a 90 sec + cool down that lasts for 6 seconds, than those 6 seconds better be worth it. The bubble definitely needs to be a little bigger, so that it actually makes a sanctuary.

Love the skill concept, but the area is too small.

Edit: And if you are using sanctuary as a ranged interrupt, that’s good for innovation but for a 90 sec + cool down its not very efficient.

USMC 1st Battalion 10th Marines
Guardian-Blueprinted, Warrior- Grizzilli
[JCM] Guild: Ehmry Bay WvW

Sancutuary Bubble?!?!

in Guardian

Posted by: Azshene.1798

Azshene.1798

I love this skill in concept, but I Laugh at Guardians that use this skill in TPVP or in WvW. Only place I have seen it used well is to block the keep stairs in Forest. Otherwise I’m praying that someone pops sanctuary as ill just auto attack you through it and laugh as you waste a utility skill. When I switched from guardian to warrior in TPVP and I would see a guardian use this ability to Rez a teammate I would just 100B on the edge of the bubble and hit then both.

It’s a great concept, and if you are going to make a utility skill with a 90 sec + cool down that lasts for 6 seconds, than those 6 seconds better be worth it. The bubble definitely needs to be a little bigger, so that it actually makes a sanctuary.

Edit: And if you are using sanctuary as a ranged interrupt, that’s good for innovation but for a 90 sec + cool down its not very efficient.

I don’t really see that scenario playing out unless the downed guy has already lost a bunch of hp or has aoe’s placed on top of him, as the res would go off before you’d get back to the bubble and start doing hundred blades. Even then, if the sanctuary is placed right, the stomper will still be knocked away, but would have to run around to the other side of the sanctuary to deal damage to them. It’s generally not a good idea to sit at the very center of the sanctuary and expect not to take damage.

Also, while it’s not the most effective use of the ability to interrupt at range, then it’s one of the only ranged interrupts guardians have available, and if it interrupts something as big as a rally signet then it’s definitely worth the large cooldown even still.

I feel the high recharge is justified as it’s useful in so many situations, and afraid that making the area bigger would just put the ability over the top.

Sancutuary Bubble?!?!

in Guardian

BlueprintLFE.2358

I don’t really see that scenario playing out unless the downed guy has already lost a bunch of hp or has aoe’s placed on top of him, as the res would go off before you’d get back to the bubble and start doing hundred blades. Even then, if the sanctuary is placed right, the stomper will still be knocked away, but would have to run around to the other side of the sanctuary to deal damage to them. It’s generally not a good idea to sit at the very center of the sanctuary and expect not to take damage.

Also, while it’s not the most effective use of the ability to interrupt at range, then it’s one of the only ranged interrupts guardians have available, and if it interrupts something as big as a rally signet then it’s definitely worth the large cooldown even still.

I feel the high recharge is justified as it’s useful in so many situations, and afraid that making the area bigger would just put the ability over the top.

Sorry I don’t think I clarified myself, on my team as a warrior my job wasn’t to stomp, it was to pressure downed players and rezzers. Whenever someone went down I would pressure with damage. So yes they might knock down he stomper, but in the heat of the moment that guardian is going to drop his sanctuary square on the player, so they will both be in be middle eating my 100B.

We had a kitten good dagger pistol thief who was always on the watch out for Rez signets, because as you probably know bunkering center on a guardian while getting poundded on by AOE and trying to rez teammates and stomp downed ones can be extremely disorienting. I don’t know very many center bunker guardians that are designated for interrupts, for just the reason you stated, we don’t have many long range interrupts.

I’m not saying someone is bad or wrong for using the skill, I just think for the cool down it needs to be better.

Sancutuary Bubble?!?!

in Guardian

Kangataz.6842

72 sec CD isn’t so bad after traiting, people are complaining about the CD untraited,of course I would also complain SyS, JI, aren’t fast enough w/o traiting. I think the devs did a pretty good job in drawing that line of “so-so skill” to “zomg this skill is awesome” untraited and traited respectively.

Sancutuary Bubble?!?!

in Guardian

Posted by: The Rooster.2615

The Rooster.2615

Copy and paste into browser – vimeo.com/55868710

Rest of the video is meh. But skip to:

0:53 – Using Sanctuary to trip up fleeing enemies

1:22 – Using Sanctuary to res commander by myself in the middle of an enemy group.

Sanctuary is extremely situational. But useless? Hardly. You can also throw it down behind you to lose pursuit.

Sancutuary Bubble?!?!

in Guardian

Posted by: Kami.7369

Kami.7369

My guild has a squad of Guardians that can use the bubbles like Forcefields from SC2 Sentries. It’s pretty entertaining.

Jonlo Vangalen
Getof Fenris – Blackgate
http://getoffenris.com/

Sancutuary Bubble?!?!

in Guardian

BlueprintLFE.2358

Copy and paste into browser – vimeo.com/55868710

Rest of the video is meh. But skip to:

0:53 – Using Sanctuary to trip up fleeing enemies

1:22 – Using Sanctuary to res commander by myself in the middle of an enemy group.

Sanctuary is extremely situational. But useless? Hardly. You can also throw it down behind you to lose pursuit.

Lol

I hope you are joking. Sorry the video was cool, but running ikittenerg and dropping sanctuary on a mindless fleeing Zerg doesn’t really do well for showcasing the skill in a way other than a long cooldown line of warding. You dropped sanctuary and stopped one person out of the Zerg, and even then he would of gotten away if it wasn’t for line of warding.

Rezzing the commander in the middle of a mindless terribad Zerg, they all literally leapt at the bubble, not too mention and you almost died while in the “Sanctuary”.

Now don’t get me wrong, that worked well in that situation and that’s cool, but we are talking about the skill performing well against players with half a brain then don’t just use leap skills at a spherical line of warding. You would of gotten destroyed if 2 of those players had a brain and attacked you guys through the sanctuary, and that’s where the problem is.

I’m not saying the skill is completely useless at all. I love the concept, but for a “Sanctuary” with a decent cool down, it should provide you with a little more space, more size on the bubble, is all I’m saying.

WvW is a lot different than TPVP or SPVP. Not saying that it’s a bad thing, or that there aren’t any good players in WvW, but saying the skill is fine because it works against a bunch of up leveled players that don’t know the game, or a mindless zerg isn’t really providing an objective argument for the skill performing well enough to not warrant a second look or update.

I’m not saying the skill doesn’t work at all, but against good players it can get you killed.

(edited by BlueprintLFE.2358)

Sancutuary Bubble?!?!

in Guardian

Kangataz.6842

I must say sanctuary’s weakness lies in location based skills…like the kind those eles cast