Scepter. How do I make it love me?

in Guardian

Posted by: Nabarue.3290

Nabarue.3290

So a few weeks ago, I crafted Meteorlogicus for my Mesmer. I love the thing, and with the new April patch, I was so excited to know that it was account bound. I could move it over to my guard! (it totally looks BA with my color/armor setup too lol)

So I have been doing research. I scoured the forums, poured over almost a dozen DPS charts for Guardian weapons, and conducted a few experiments of my own. I love the weapon; a little CC, a fairly good AoE (if not a bit of a small radius), and an autoattack that melts anything standing still.

But I came here to ask this: after posting a build on here a while ago, and coming to realize it was by no means the best for it, how can I maximize this weapon? I tend to switch between characters from time to time (ok, I’m an Alt-aholic), so I may not have the in depth experience that many people who play Guardian exclusively may have.

Are there any builds and/or tips that may be able to be shared to help me get the most out of this? Not just in PvE, but also in WvW. Opinions/tips from both aspects would be appreciated!

Thanks to all who may respond!

Sir Sprocket the Engi/ Kyoryu Silver the Ele
And my Alter-Ego- Kyoryu Gold, Mesmer, Thundering Hero, wielder of the Legendary Meteorlogicus!

in Guardian

Posted by: Carpboy.7145

Carpboy.7145

The Use of the Word ‘Cheese’
Lyss The Shadow
Legendary Champion of DB [EDGE]

in Guardian

Posted by: Painbow.6059

Painbow.6059

it’s the best range weapon for guardian so having one is useful anyway, even though the only place you would use it in dungeons/fractals is maybe ice elemental (when pugging but mele works fine too) on dredge fractal or imbuned shaman(to allow cooldowns of reflects if needed), maybe hotw p1 but standing at max melee range works fine too, you can also use it for afking world events but using scepter as a main weapon in pve is not a good idea

in Guardian

Posted by: Ghotistyx.6942

Ghotistyx.6942

Even in pve scepter will be quite useful. It’s by far top dps for guardian when all of smite hits, but you can still do very good dps with smite missing a few times like it’s wont to do. You can look into it here: https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/professions/guardian/Guardian-DPS-Spreadsheet/first#post3846690

The biggest thing I’d you’ll be losing a tad group support, but what you’ll bring should be sufficient for most cases.

Fishsticks

in Guardian

Posted by: Fashion Mage.3712

Fashion Mage.3712

It’s the only weapon that works decently with Unscathed Contender as well.

in Guardian

Posted by: Ralkuth.1456

Ralkuth.1456

You can combo Scepter immobilise into Triple Meditation Guardian burst. You can Judge’s Intervention with GS #2 or Hammer #2 + Virtue of Justice + Smite Conditions for a high amount of burst damage. Scepter #3 + Torch #4 Double Tap + Judge’s Intervention while casting will make it almost always land.
Scepter #2 + Hammer #3 can be used to chain immobilise someone and have your team catch up to them or make them blow some panic buttons. Binding Jeopardy could be great. The immob signet also funny to use together with these.
Scepter is great on its own on an offensive Guardian build as the immobilise allow you to land some otherwise easy to dodge skills, or catch fleeing targets and hopefully get them down with #2 and a few lucky autos.

5 useless class titles
Carrying enemy team since 2012
“Multiclass implies you can actually play the class” – a certain royalty

in Guardian

Posted by: ArchonWing.9480

ArchonWing.9480

Been meaning to reply but forgot.

Scepter is not too good in pve unless you must range as you will be out of boon range. Usually there’s a better weapon you could use instead, but since you can retrait instantly these days, there’s no harm in switching it in as needed. It has problems in wvw because it can be easily dodged so you need to get in closer. The other problem is the thing is single target so I am usually stuck with a sigil of fire or something. There’s nothing wrong with fighting with scepter a bit closer than 1200 range and is usually the better way regardless.

This is for WvW zergs; for less than zergs, I use greatsword instead of staff and for 1-3 people groups it’s just your typical 0/6/6/2/0 3 meditation builds— don’t think i need to post that.
http://gw2skills.net/editor/?fVAQNArdWlsApfnNDxVI8DNh/QldSUhXo1HQBEAYVDA-TVSBABRcCAuS5Xlq/E0+DooPYhDBgGHBAAeAAmpEMAACgjucjucje0azjezjezyAssFA-w

I prefer to be ranged support then try to maximize damage and not giving out any support or survival. It’s trivially easy to survive stuff as well as support others. Save yourselves + Power of the Virtuous gives some decent burst. Can also put in judge’s intervention, Wall of Reflection, or something else if you don’t like SY!

My offhand choice is a focus, it’s good for nailing people that try to hit you (both 4 and 5) and also that usually surprises people since they’re distracted by your hadoukens.

I think it’s still more simpler to go in with a melee weapon but this is a nice change of pace. It’s very easy to play and you can usually just hit random buttons and give out much needed boons and cleanse while pew pewing away. (Then again that applies to any zerg guardian build really…) Your main damage source is going to be smite so land those well. (fast casting ftw).

For once you have tasted flight you will walk the earth with your eyes turned skywards,
for there you have been and there you will long to return.

(edited by ArchonWing.9480)

in Guardian

Posted by: Thaddeus.4891

Thaddeus.4891

Scepter is the best range weapons of the Guardian. It you play your guardian right in PvE, you shouldn’t be using it much since melee is far superior. Still, I end up using my Meteorlogicus from time to time on my guardian. In WvW, this can be good for roaming i guess or to attack people on top of the wall while sieging, but other than that. The Guardian scepter is a situational weapons for pretty much all aspect of the game right now. Its a powerful weapons, but its only a backup for some risky situation.

I think that i will transfer my Meteorlogicus to my Elementalist eventually. She’s using a LH S/F build and i think that its the best build for a Scepter. Necromancer could be nice too in sPvP or roaming, but I don’t use my necro for that right now.

Thaddeauz [xQCx]- QC GUILD

in Guardian

Posted by: messiah.1908

messiah.1908

as guardian lack in mobility my scepter is great weapon to deal dmg from 1200 range
also its good opener weapon which put pressure before you start your burst in melee