Scepter Update I'd like to see

in Guardian

Posted by: Pixels.6532

Pixels.6532

Seeing CJ talk a bit about some potential weapon changes, I’d like to see scepter changed to the following (range stays the same):

Skill 1: no change
Skill 2: keep it the same but make it a Light Combo Field
Skill 3a: Chains of Light – Immobilize Foe (2s), becomes…
Skill 3b: Chains of Judgement (for 2s) – remove immobilize, chains squeeze together causing vulnerability on target (3x for 6s) before exploding for 252 dmg (AoE, blast finisher)

Adds more dmg and team play to the scepter and some variability on Chains as you can either do direct dmg and vulnerability or leave them immobilized and try to time it, so you can still fire off CoJ before CoL’s duration runs out and get the best of both.

Sanctum of Rall

in Guardian

Posted by: Ynna.8769

Ynna.8769

Skill 3 is the only skill on the Scepter that doesn’t actually needs changing.

“Come on, hit me!”

in Guardian

Posted by: Zappix.7928

Zappix.7928

I think the orb of wrath could do with an update. It’s incredibly slow for the pitiful damage it provides. I agree with skill 2 change would be rather nice to see the scepter option get a buff.

in Guardian

Posted by: Lonewolf Kai.3682

Lonewolf Kai.3682

Skill 1: no change!? What? Skill 1 is the most useless out of the whole bunch. The speed of it needs a serious boost.

“Be like water” – Bruce Lee

in Guardian

Pixels.6532

I don’t know that it NEEDs a change, but given the gameplay of the scepter, I’d like to see it changed to give the scepter more options than just hit people from range (sometimes) or switch to scepter to immobilize and… wait to switch back to your other weapon.

Adding a light field to 2 and a blast finisher to 3 makes it interesting, imo.

Sanctum of Rall

in Guardian

Posted by: ComeAndSee.1356

ComeAndSee.1356

Scepter is really just a PvE weapon. It has 1200 range and does damage, what else can you ask for?

Sha Nari – 80 Guardian (http://bit.ly/12RNvtK)
Lorella Windrunner – 80 Thief
Shayera Nightfall – 80 Mesmer

in Guardian

Ynna.8769

I don’t know that it NEEDs a change, but given the gameplay of the scepter, I’d like to see it changed to give the scepter more options than just hit people from range (sometimes) or switch to scepter to immobilize and… wait to switch back to your other weapon.

I meant that the first and second skill need it more. The third skill actually works well and is worth using. The problems with the Scepter isn’t the third skill. It’s everything else.

Scepter is really just a PvE weapon. It has 1200 range and does damage, what else can you ask for?

Having the weapon actually work at 1200 range? Having an AoE that doesn’t get worse if more people stand in it? Being able to fight other players at range?

“Come on, hit me!”

(edited by Ynna.8769)

in Guardian

Posted by: Silver.8023

Silver.8023

I would take any Elementalist scepter skills from any one attunement over Guardian scepter as it stands now. Even with the 900 range. At least I know I’d be able to hit my target…
This is also probably the first time I’ve seen someone say that Guardian scepter #1 doesn’t need changing!

I agree that scepter #3 is the only scepter skill we have that is actually decent.

Silver Stormshield – Guardian
Kaimoon Blade – Warrior
Fort Aspenwood

in Guardian

Pixels.6532

I would take any Elementalist scepter skills from any one attunement over Guardian scepter as it stands now. Even with the 900 range. At least I know I’d be able to hit my target…
This is also probably the first time I’ve seen someone say that Guardian scepter #1 doesn’t need changing!

I agree that scepter #3 is the only scepter skill we have that is actually decent.

I’m not a fan of highly powerful #1 skills on weapons which is why i’ve left it alone. It’s not great, but I think #1 is fine. It’s slow, but it works. I’m coming from a Necro main, so maybe that’s why I’m not keen to change it.

Again, I agree that #3 is fine, however, I would like the scepter to get a small buff without putting it in the #1 skill, so I’m looking at 2 & 3 synergy.

With my suggestion, you can create a nice light field combo with #2 and even blast finish it with #3, but it will take some timing and/or luck to get it off. So Because of the improvements to 2 & 3, I’ve left #1 alone.

If you want to leave #3 alone, then I’d still suggest a #2 light field, but switch #1 to 900 range and give it the same #1 as the Ele Arc Ligthtening but with a cool looking blue ray instead. Additionally, instead of increased direct dmg on the Stage 3, keep the dmg at stage 2 but add burning.

Sanctum of Rall

in Guardian

Posted by: Khenzy.9348

Khenzy.9348

Orb of Wrath proyectile speed increased.
Orb of Wrath is now considered a Combo Finisher: Physical Proyectile (20%).

__

Smite is now considered a Combo Field: Light.

or

Smite is now called Symbol of Smite and functions like other symbols. Place a mystic symbol into the target area that damages foes and gives Might to you and your allies.

__

Chains of Light CD reduced to 15 seconds.

or

The Scepter Power trait, in addition to its current effect, now also reduces Scepter skill recharges by 20%.

(edited by Khenzy.9348)

in Guardian

Posted by: Shimond.2478

Shimond.2478

That is really funny wanting to change the one thing that’s great on scepter and leaving the rest alone.

in Guardian

Pixels.6532

I meant that the first and second skill need it more. The third skill actually works well and is worth using. The problems with the Scepter isn’t the third skill. It’s everything else.

I get what you’re saying… so after all the posts, here’s an updated version:

#1: Arc of Wrath: Cast an arc of wrath at your foe (Stage 1 – 30dmg , Stage 2 – 60dmg, Stage 3 – 60dmg + Burning)
#2: Symbol of Might: Cast a symbol of might in target area, granting might to allies and damaging foes (combo field: light), hits 5 times for 555 (total dmg) but functions like standard AoE (can hit 5x targets 5x for 555).
#3: Chains of Light: Unchanged, QQ

Sanctum of Rall

in Guardian

Posted by: Danicco.3568

Danicco.3568

Orb of Wrath proyectile speed increased.
Orb of Wrath is now considered a Combo Finisher: Physical Proyectile (20%).

__

Smite is now considered a Combo Field: Light.

or

Smite is now called Symbol of Smite and functions like other symbols. Place a mystic symbol into the target area that damages foes and gives Might to you and your allies.

__

Chains of Light CD reduced to 15 seconds.

or

The Scepter Power trait, in addition to its current effect, now also reduces Scepter skill recharges by 20%.

Unconceivable!

This would make the scepter rather useful, so it’s clearly rejected.
This thread clearly shows that no one here has no idea about the viability of the scepter, but I admit it’s lacking in it’s current form. So I propose:

Orb of Wrath: Animation changed to a spinning and floating icecream that, upon contact, makes the target’s vision blurry and sweet. And heals the target by 10. Renamed to Cream of Wrath. (Only usable against enemies)

Smite: Animation changed from closed fists to open fists. If hits the same target more than 10 times (at a 1% chance of actually happening), the target’s cheeks will inflate and turn red. If the target’s defense is any higher than 1837, it deals 1 damage per hit and the target will randomly say “That tickles!”. If the target’s defense is lower than that, deals 1500 damage over 15 hits.

Chains of Light: Distance reduced to 600 for balancing purposes and the immobilize duration is half duration against players. Since it was also deemed OP against players facing the Guardian, there’s a 100% chance of the Guardian also being immobilized for the full duration of the skill (like the Risen Putrifier) if it hits.

If these changes were to happen, I know for sure I would pack a Scepter on my 2nd weapon set probably forever. It would have so many uses that it would be a waste not to use one.

in Guardian

Silver.8023

I’m coming from a Necro main.

I’m not disagreeing with you or dissing your ideas by the way. I, too, believe that scepter is in dire need of a change. I’ll take anything that works.
The only reason I said Elementalist scepter skills and not Mesmer or Necromancer is that the Mesmer and Necromancer scepter skills actually work so well with themselves alone! I didn’t want people saying, “Hey now! We can’t have Guardian weapon skills working well together, especially the one handed weapons! That would make them OP!”

I am, of course, being facetious but I hope what I’m trying to say is implied, that I’d love Guardian’s one handed weapons to actually work well together/with themselves similar to how most other profession’s weapon skills work but quite often, suggestions that would bring Guardian skills to the level of functionality that other professions enjoy is somehow seen as overpowered?! I’ll never understand that…

In any case, what I’d to see scepter as is something like this:
- Make Orb of Wrath a cool, bigger ball of light that moves as fast as an arrow does or a little slower than that. Making it have some kind of interesting #1 chain (similar to how Necromancer’s and Mesmer’s works) would definitely add some interest to the weapon.
- Make Smite an actual symbol, I don’t care what it does, I just want it as a symbol. That would give scepter some actual trait synergy outside of Binding Jeopardy. A might symbol seems appropriate enough.
- I’m also not opposed to an entire rework of the scepter as long as it’s balanced and effective at what it’s supposed to do whilst still actually being fun to use.

Various options for trait synergy with weapons is something I really like and I think it is essential for having a profession play in a fun way as it adds various ways of using the same weapons, unfortunately, quite a few Guardian weapons have little to no trait synergy outside of buffing Virtue of Justice as much as possible. Ironically, that would be buffing Virtue of Justice’s trait synergy, not the weapon’s…

Kaimoon Blade – Warrior
Fort Aspenwood

(edited by Silver.8023)

in Guardian

Silver.8023

Heals the target by 10.

That one got me, good sir! Reminds me of Flashing Blade.

Kaimoon Blade – Warrior
Fort Aspenwood

in Guardian

Posted by: Setun.4368

Setun.4368

I think the best change idea was the smite change to the pillar of light effect (increased damage the longer someone is in it, but if you immobilize someone while smite is going on top of them you kind of get a similar effect with decent crit chance), but to be honest the scepter is a thinking man’s weapon if you will. It’s meant to be used in conjunction with other weapons / combos, not just a ‘all-in-one’ dps package. Not to mention the #1 attack is perfect dodge bait to make enemies pop their dodge rolls early. Lastly I’m not entirely sure why people say it’s weak when I’m hitting for over 800-2k depending on crits per #1 autoattack orb.

in Guardian

Posted by: Soryuju.8164

Soryuju.8164

I have to admit, the only problem I have with Scepter in its current form is the speed of the autoattack at long range, and I think both Smite and Chains of Light are fine as is. I’m personally in the camp that would like to see the stream of magical tennis balls swapped for something else entirely, because besides the speed issues, it’s kind of a boring/goofy aesthetic. Give me fast-moving blue fireballs, as opposed to slow-moving blue orbs, and I’ll be happy. If the Scepter’s autoattack damage or rate of attack needs to be reduced (I’d prefer the latter) in order to compensate, that’s fine. I don’t even need the fireballs to move at arrow speed – just fast enough to be practical as a weapon at 1200 range.

I personally believe the other skills are fine as is. I don’t really think of Smite as an AoE attack, simply because the area affected is too small for it to serve that purpose. I think of it as either an area control skill that’s good for harassing targets, or as a spike-assist skill when used with Chains of Light. Basic combos like CoL > Virtue of Justice > Whirlng Wrath/Zealot’s Defense already hurt opponents pretty badly, but if you drop Smite under their feet as you chain them down, you can get some really nice burst going even without running a glassy build. In that sense I’d agree with Setun, that part of the Scepter’s use comes in as a setup weapon. I’m not going to say I’d mind adding a combo field to Smite (Light most likely, though I think Fire would be more interesting), but I think it’s already a strong skill, and you’d need to increase its cooldown to 8-10 seconds to keep it balanced if you buffed it.

TL;DR: Get rid of slow-moving orbs, replace with decently fast-moving fireballs at a slower attack rate. I think Smite’s fine, but if you’re adding a Light or Fire Field to it, it’ll need an 8-10 second cooldown instead of 6.

in Guardian

Posted by: Setun.4368

Setun.4368

I have to admit, the only problem I have with Scepter in its current form is the speed of the autoattack at long range, and I think both Smite and Chains of Light are fine as is. I’m personally in the camp that would like to see the stream of magical tennis balls swapped for something else entirely, because besides the speed issues, it’s kind of a boring/goofy aesthetic. Give me fast-moving blue fireballs, as opposed to slow-moving blue orbs, and I’ll be happy. If the Scepter’s autoattack damage or rate of attack needs to be reduced (I’d prefer the latter) in order to compensate, that’s fine. I don’t even need the fireballs to move at arrow speed – just fast enough to be practical as a weapon at 1200 range.

I personally believe the other skills are fine as is. I don’t really think of Smite as an AoE attack, simply because the area affected is too small for it to serve that purpose. I think of it as either an area control skill that’s good for harassing targets, or as a spike-assist skill when used with Chains of Light. Basic combos like CoL > Virtue of Justice > Whirlng Wrath/Zealot’s Defense already hurt opponents pretty badly, but if you drop Smite under their feet as you chain them down, you can get some really nice burst going even without running a glassy build. In that sense I’d agree with Setun, that part of the Scepter’s use comes in as a setup weapon. I’m not going to say I’d mind adding a combo field to Smite (Light most likely, though I think Fire would be more interesting), but I think it’s already a strong skill, and you’d need to increase its cooldown to 8-10 seconds to keep it balanced if you buffed it.

TL;DR: Get rid of slow-moving orbs, replace with decently fast-moving fireballs at a slower attack rate. I think Smite’s fine, but if you’re adding a Light or Fire Field to it, it’ll need an 8-10 second cooldown instead of 6.

You pretty much nailed it on how the scepter skills are supposed to work imo. I use CoL, followed immediately by a combo of smite / flame aoe via torch #5 and you can literally see a person’s hp rapidly dwindle (sometimes evaporate) in front of you. It’s an awesome combo buildup weapon, but everyone wants it to be a boring warrior rifle knockoff.

in Guardian

Posted by: Zappix.7928

Zappix.7928

@Setun

No people want the Orb of Wrath to actually be an Orb of Wrath. You describe a situational combination with your weapon set.. More versatility is what people want and a much needed buff to a very weak ranged auto..

in Guardian

Ynna.8769

@Setun: What you see as playing to maximize the Scepter’s strengths is just adjusting your playstyle to minimize its flaws. You’re not helping anyone by claiming that the Scepter is a good weapon. It’s passable and you can make it work. That doesn’t mean it’s good.

“Come on, hit me!”

in Guardian

Posted by: Hicci.8761

Hicci.8761

boost projectile speed by 50% and make smite a symbol. Problem solved. The #1 is the biggest and almost the only flaw.

in Guardian

Posted by: RyuDragnier.9476

RyuDragnier.9476

@Setun: What you see as playing to maximize the Scepter’s strengths is just adjusting your playstyle to minimize its flaws. You’re not helping anyone by claiming that the Scepter is a good weapon. It’s passable and you can make it work. That doesn’t mean it’s good.

But by that definition doesn’t that mean that all weapons aren’t good?

[hS]
PvE Main – Zar Poisonclaw – Daredevil
WvW Main – Ghost Mistcaller – Herald

in Guardian

Posted by: wintermute.4096

wintermute.4096

It depends on the context you use it in. For pvp, yes, the slow projectile speed and stationary nature of smite are asking for it to be evaded, but in pve it’s just all kinds of awesome.
#1 is ok dps for a ranged weapon, and the projectile speed is rarely an issue #2 is incredible dps on static single targets, which are not all that uncommon, and #3 is very nice utility to top it off.

in Guardian

Ynna.8769

But by that definition doesn’t that mean that all weapons aren’t good?

I don’t think it does. Most weapons are pretty okay, even if you use them poorly. Playing to their strengths also makes them better, that much is obvious, but they also work fine if you don’t play like that.

“Come on, hit me!”

in Guardian

Posted by: Ezrael.6859

Ezrael.6859

Bring back Symbol of Courage through the Scepter!

Make the auto attack a chain attack with instant damage rather than projectiles.
1/2 second for each step of the chain, damage to be determined through internal testing balance.
1st and 2nd step attacks are just regular instant attacks, with an instant attack animation firing a quick blue zap from the Scepter to the target.

The 3rd step in the chain applies Symbol of Courage (1s) onto the enemy’s location (like the Hammer but at range).

This would allow for far more diverse build and play style options for the Guardian.

(edited by Ezrael.6859)

in Guardian

Posted by: green plum.7514

green plum.7514

I am unsure about making #2 a symbol. A targeted symbol on such a short CD would be ridiculously OP – so they will have to increase the CD to accommodate.

About #1 – I think it would be interesting if the orb would slowly accelerate – slow when launched but increasingly gaining speed. Or, one could make it a chain skill, where each skill in the chain launches the same orb but at a different speed. First one would be the slowest, second one faster and the third one fastest. The idea here is that all orbs reach the enemy (at say, 900 range) at approximately the same time.

in Guardian

Hicci.8761

I am unsure about making #2 a symbol. A targeted symbol on such a short CD would be ridiculously OP – so they will have to increase the CD to accommodate.

About #1 – I think it would be interesting if the orb would slowly accelerate – slow when launched but increasingly gaining speed. Or, one could make it a chain skill, where each skill in the chain launches the same orb but at a different speed. First one would be the slowest, second one faster and the third one fastest. The idea here is that all orbs reach the enemy (at say, 900 range) at approximately the same time.

Scepters range is 1200. I would prefer homing projectiles.

in Guardian

green plum.7514

So? Its auto-attack is still mid-range oriented by design, and I see no problem with that. Guardian is not a sniper.

in Guardian

Pixels.6532

Would this be “OP?”

Scepter 1 (reduce range to 900):
Orbs of Wrath: fire two, slow-moving orbs at target (damage 250x 2 if they hit), becomes…
Focused Wrath: mark your target, orbs accelerate to target and explode on contact (damage 300x 2)

Sanctum of Rall

in Guardian

Hicci.8761

So? Its auto-attack is still mid-range oriented by design, and I see no problem with that. Guardian is not a sniper.

I did not say guardian was a sniper… I merely corrected you. 1200 range is vital against some dungeon bosses like the nightmare tree or Lupus. In PVE scepter is an fantastic weapon but in WvW or PvP the player is forced to approach enemies and not support your allies with ranged pressure.

in Guardian

green plum.7514

I did not say guardian was a sniper… I merely corrected you. 1200 range is vital against some dungeon bosses like the nightmare tree or Lupus. In PVE scepter is an fantastic weapon but in WvW or PvP the player is forced to approach enemies and not support your allies with ranged pressure.

I fully agree. I also never said that the scepter range should be reduced! My ‘three orbs, three different speeds’ idea simply says that orb speed should be adjusted in such a way that they meet approximately 900 units from the launching point. Then they should continue to 1200, of course. I think such idea would be interesting in PvP as it could allow for fun burst options when setup correctly.

in Guardian

Hicci.8761

I admit that it’s an interesting idea, tho it does provide problems such as if they were to adjust the speed of every orb to meet at certain point, the difference in speed couldn’t be too big. Also in pvp the orbs would never “meet” because the target would be moving all the time.

in Guardian

Posted by: Alarox.4590

Alarox.4590

Make skill 1 have a slight homing effect and move faster. Make 2 a pulsing AoE.

/bow

It’s really that simple.

Alarox – Human Guardian
Rampage Wilson – Charr Engineer
Sea of Sorrows