Scepter's Broken Autoattack

in Guardian

Posted by: Nelict.7589

Nelict.7589

Still not even an official response or something. At least let us know that you won’t fix it, so we can stop complaining about this matter and deal with it.

PS: As you already know, scepter’s auto attack is useless. (The don’t even need to dodge it anymore)

in Guardian

Posted by: JJBigs.8456

JJBigs.8456

Strafing is supposed to make you not be hit by some projectiles and theres no reason or evidence to suggest this is unintentional or not intended. Just because you cant range, doesnt mean it needs a buff, this is how guardians are.

Example: FOTM Lava Shaman’s Agony Fire Arrow will never hit you if you strafe EVEN LESS than the youtube video. You dont have to dance back and forth, simple circle him around and auto attack and that thing is way faster than Orb. If that doesnt hit, why would a slow moving projectile hit?

in Guardian

Posted by: Nelict.7589

Nelict.7589

So…the “strife thingy” you saw in the video in the first post was actually intended by the game designers? If so then we should realy stop complaing if it’s a game “feature” . If so we should start complaing about how strife works in the game))

in Guardian

Posted by: Sandra Martino.3870

Sandra Martino.3870

Strafing is supposed to make you not be hit by some projectiles and theres no reason or evidence to suggest this is unintentional or not intended. Just because you cant range, doesnt mean it needs a buff, this is how guardians are.

Example: FOTM Lava Shaman’s Agony Fire Arrow will never hit you if you strafe EVEN LESS than the youtube video. You dont have to dance back and forth, simple circle him around and auto attack and that thing is way faster than Orb. If that doesnt hit, why would a slow moving projectile hit?

You havent seen the video did you? It would indeed be balanced if SOME projectiles didnt hit when strafing. Yet in practice, when strafing you do NOT hit at all. Nada. Zip. Nullo. 0%. Yes you can when you immobilize them for 3 seconds but as long as its on a 20 second cooldown we can effectively dps ranged targets that move for only 3 seconds.

We are meant to have BAD dps, not NO dps at ranged…

Still Feeling Lucky [PunK] – Gunnars Hold
Recruiting necros & guardians. Whisper ingame.

in Guardian

Posted by: Karalaza.6021

Karalaza.6021

switch it to a beam like with http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Wrath!

in Guardian

Sandra Martino.3870

switch it to a beam like with http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Wrath!

Could work, although i think it wouldn’t cost them so much resources and time to just make it homing.

in Guardian

Posted by: ValkoorSC.9178

ValkoorSC.9178

Just give us a Longbow please.

in Guardian

Posted by: Aeolus.3615

Aeolus.3615

Guardian weapons might be the most bugged so far, ive been reporting some errors with sword also, blinding flash triggered a guy inside the tower while i tryed to teleport to other player near gate, 2 days ago(pve map) i was teleported under the map, where i could even atack mobs ( looks a nice place to solo jormag :P).

Funny becouse the weapons i use on guardian are sword and scepter, and its a pain playing with stuff that is broken, but the bugs sometimes can produce funny momments also.

dont expect it to get fixed anytime soon…. or ever.

The patching for this game is pretty terrible

They were working on culling issues, maybe now they are working on this game bugs, i imagine this being in top priority becouse it brokens a game class and weapon.

After this being fixed Anet should add spears to warriors annd sword offhand to guardians, something like that they need to make guardians/warriors happy! lol

:soz any bad english

1st April joke, when gw2 receives a “balance” update.

(edited by Aeolus.3615)

in Guardian

Posted by: Mikau.6920

Mikau.6920

Strange, my ele doesn’t get this problem. Most likely because he isn’t using a weapon that is so grossly underpowered for his class.

Guardian sceptre needs a lot more than an auto-target fix.

Im not entirely sure about that, if scepter would only actually hit its target with #1, its damage is still decent. They said before they dont want guardians to excel at ranged combat. That said more buffs are always welcome tough. A short wishlist:

- Scepter #1, homing + 20% dmg increased.
- Scepter #2, smite changed into symbol.
- Focus #4, (not sure bout range, if 900 > 1200) + damage increased doubled.
- Shield #4 range extended to 1200 yards. (optionally single target, damage increased doubled)
- Shield #5 Duration of cone increased by 2 seconds, detonate no longer makes bubble disappear.

This alone could make guardians balanced in ranged combat without making them overpowered in any way.

However at the VERY VERY least, make scepter #1 at least hit moving targets lol… just made my meteorlogicus and while its shiny i feel ineffective in wvw. Nerf something in melee in turn if desperately needed :P

In my opnion, the main problem with shield:
- #4: The protect duration is too low (considering the cooldown) and to apply to allies they must be in front of you (only good if the Scepter was good or in zerg situations);
- #5: The cooldown time is discouraging (40s), considering the duration (4s) and moving cancel the effect (? – not sure).

I do like your suggestions to Scepter.

Sorry for my english.

in Guardian

Posted by: foofad.5162

foofad.5162

Detonate doesn’t cancel shield 5. You can double-tap 5 and it’ll stay up the full duration.

Eilir Eirasdottir, Guardian, Tarnished Coast
Painbow.6059: Ignore what anyone else who doesn’t agree with me has said because its wrong.

in Guardian

Sandra Martino.3870

Hmm the bubble does disappear instantly tough, not sure if the actual effect still works. Haven’t tested.

in Guardian

Posted by: Polle.6908

Polle.6908

Just my thoughts on this…

I don’t think it was intended by the developers to make the scepter’s auto attack that effective at long range. Since the Guardian is primarily a melee class I could only assume that the damage must not over power it’s melee counterparts.

In relation to the video, in any given combat situation that can never happen since both players would be continuously moving and using other skills. In my experiences using the scepter in spvp, there hasn’t been many issues regarding the homing effect of the auto attack and have found it quite effective in many situations.

At the moment I’m quite content with the Scepter as a whole and adapted it to my play style. The only advice is that to the people who are struggling with it, you cannot treat is a traditional range weapon like other professions but try to imagine it as a slightly extended melee weapon. With that mindset, the scepter’s weaknesses don’t seem as prominent or serious as some have stated in this thread.

in Guardian

Sandra Martino.3870

In relation to the video, in any given combat situation that can never happen since both players would be continuously moving and using other skills. In my experiences using the scepter in spvp, there hasn’t been many issues regarding the homing effect of the auto attack and have found it quite effective in many situations.

What happens in the video actually does happen. A few examples: a zerg is attacking a tower and you target a random person in the enemy zerg and you activate autoattack, it will not hit. Why? because the target is moving. If you roam alone and you find another lone roamer and you engage in 1v1 the scepter will not hit. Why? because the target is moving. While i only WvW and not Spvp i cannot speak of Spvp experience but i cannot imagine that all players in Spvp are stationairy. The only department of the game where scepter is viable is pve since most of the target are stationairy.

in Guardian

Posted by: CrazyAce.3842

CrazyAce.3842

What are you guys talking about? The skill is fine.

…As long as the target is standing still.

in Guardian

Sandra Martino.3870

Which is the whole problem lol, players never stand still :P

in Guardian

CrazyAce.3842

Which is the whole problem lol, players never stand still :P

That was the joke. XD

But yeah, it’s really sad when a weapon’s auto-attack is that bad. I mean, it’s even worse than the Necromancer’s staff auto-attack. And that is seriously saying something.

in Guardian

Sandra Martino.3870

I truly wonder if it gets any attention the next patch. Its hilarious that it isn’t fixed yet, competitive play in this game revolves mostly on ranged combat and without holy trinity it renders an entire profession/class useless.

in Guardian

Posted by: Zero.8712

Zero.8712

This is one of the main reasons why i stopped playing my Guard. I kept going into dungeons trying to melee the bosses, but kept dying. so then i realized i needed ranged. i used a staff and just hated it. i used a scepter and it was ok, but it missed wayyyyy to much. That is what made me switch to a engi.

Finally now im coming back to guardian, because i love the heavy armor. But im scared that i will learn to hate this class again, due to the lack of range.

I think something needes to be changed with this, they can make it slow as they want but i just want to hit my target.

in Guardian

CrazyAce.3842

This is one of the main reasons why i stopped playing my Guard. I kept going into dungeons trying to melee the bosses, but kept dying. so then i realized i needed ranged. i used a staff and just hated it. i used a scepter and it was ok, but it missed wayyyyy to much. That is what made me switch to a engi.

Finally now im coming back to guardian, because i love the heavy armor. But im scared that i will learn to hate this class again, due to the lack of range.

I think something needes to be changed with this, they can make it slow as they want but i just want to hit my target.

Well, if you’re looking for a ranged class, you’re not looking in the right place. I don’t know why you’d be playing a Guardian in the first place, if you prefer ranged. Warrior is leagues above Guardian in ranged combat because of the Rifle alone. If I need ranged combat I don’t go to the Guardian. I’d go to the Warrior, Ele, Engie, or Ranger.

Having a decent ranged option is preferable, but I can kinda understand why Guardian’s scepter is being ignored. After all, the GS, Hammer, Staff, Sword, Shield, and Mace all work great within their own purposes. And the majority of Guardians seem to prefer melee anyway (though whether that’s a cause or a symptom of the scepter’s lackluster auto-attack, or just because of the mentality of people who prefer Guardians, I have no idea).

Not saying it doesn’t need to be fixed, but considering all the people kittening about balance issues of the top tier classes (i.e. ele & mesmer), Guardian scepter is pretty low on the list right now.

in Guardian

Posted by: Aberrant.6749

Aberrant.6749

Not being an ideal ranged class is one thing. Not being able to hit anything that’s moving at range or running away is another….

Tarnished Coast
Salvage 4 Profit + MF Guide – http://tinyurl.com/l8ff6pa

in Guardian

CrazyAce.3842

Not being an ideal ranged class is one thing. Not being able to hit anything that’s moving at range or running away is another….

I’m just trying to keep people’s expectations low. I highly doubt Anet is going to fix this anytime soon, if at all.

in Guardian

Posted by: Zero.8712

Zero.8712

i understand guardian isnt a ranged class. i was just stating that i wish it was a little better option to a ranged weapon. so that in dungeon fights that require ranged weapons, i can hit the target without missing. i like the idea of a plate wearer using magical ranged spells/ weapons

(edited by Zero.8712)

in Guardian

Posted by: Daecollo.9578

Daecollo.9578

Guardian Sceptor.
Thief Shortbow
Thief Pistol
Engineer Pistol

All have broken autoattacks.

Hero {} Roleplayer {} Friend {} Professional Princess Saver
https://twitter.com/TalathionEQ2

in Guardian

Sandra Martino.3870

True daecollo, however we are the only class that suffers from its slow speed attack and thus is more susceptible to the strafing problem, to the point of unplayable (in pvp). I doubt this is intentional but i’m afraid they choose to ignore since there isn’t enough fuzz about it on the forum. If there were 10 threads up about this problem with 20 pages each, it would be fixed in no-time.

in Guardian

Posted by: TwoBit.5903

TwoBit.5903

True daecollo, however we are the only class that suffers from its slow speed attack and thus is more susceptible to the strafing problem, to the point of unplayable (in pvp). I doubt this is intentional but i’m afraid they choose to ignore since there isn’t enough fuzz about it on the forum. If there were 10 threads up about this problem with 20 pages each, it would be fixed in no-time.

Obvious problems such as such as these should already be known to the developers before they finish internal testing. My guess is that the Dev’s can’t do anything about because of the corner they’ve designed themselves into; they have to change the fundamental mechanics behind projectiles and the player’s ability to aim them in a 3D environment to actually fix the problem. Bandage changes like changing the AA to a beam or increasing the speed will only further damage the design intention of the skills.

(edited by TwoBit.5903)

in Guardian

Posted by: Polle.6908

Polle.6908

What happens in the video actually does happen. A few examples: a zerg is attacking a tower and you target a random person in the enemy zerg and you activate autoattack, it will not hit. Why? because the target is moving. If you roam alone and you find another lone roamer and you engage in 1v1 the scepter will not hit. Why? because the target is moving. While i only WvW and not Spvp i cannot speak of Spvp experience but i cannot imagine that all players in Spvp are stationairy. The only department of the game where scepter is viable is pve since most of the target are stationairy.

Which brings back to the original point of my post. The orbs will not hit if you treat the scepter as a ranged weapon from another profession. Case in point, your second example where a 1vs1 you said it will NOT hit is completely untrue. In Spvp, WvsW(1vs1) and Tpvp environments, you are consistently trying to run around your opponent snaring them and laying down smite in addition to the auto attack. About 2/3 of the orbs will hit and this is in a situation where both you and the target are moving. The Scepter is more than capable of hitting moving targets. I personally believe there was some intent from Anet in doing this to prevent guardians from seeing the Scepter as their primary option for combat.

in Guardian

Sandra Martino.3870

Polle, running around your target snaring them holds true for 3 seconds. The other 17 seconds while circling around each other will not make you hit your target. It cannot be intentional.