Shattered Aegis versus Symbolic Avenger

in Guardian

Posted by: PEZ.6947

PEZ.6947

This thread is to discuss which of these two traits can give the best dps increase. This is very hard to do, even with a dps meter, because it depends on way too many things that can’t all be accounted for. This includes things like:
How many allies are in your stack, including pets?
How often can you stay stacked 240 units from your target?
How often will you be disabled?
How often will you be below 50% HP?
How often will you or an ally rally?
How often will you or an ally be attacked?
How often will that attack be an AoE?

With that in mind, I hope to determine the maximum dps potential for Shattered Aegis as best as I can. First, to get an idea for just how often to can apply aegis, take a look at this chart: http://i.imgur.com/lo2voY1.png

It’s only meant to be a visual representation of all possible aegis applications in a perfect scenario. The important part is the math which comes later. For now, just notice that there are two build options. One uses Zeal, Valor, and Virtues. The other uses Zeal, Valor, and Honor. Honor allows for the highest aegis application potential through protective reviver, however, it requires that you constantly revive an ally. Reviving nonstop can hardly qualify as a build, but is included for the sake of completeness. In the future I aim to update this chart with more information pertinent to Shattered Aegis, such as its effects with Wrathful Spirit, Might of the Protector, Retributive Armor, Invigorated Bulwark, Pure of Heart, and Unscathed Contender.

Here is that same information broken down mathematically, assuming the following: Berserker build with 2375 power
Every aegis inducing skill is used ASAP
Every aegis inducing skill applies the maximum allowed aegis (Communal Defenses Exception where 5 is applied)
Every aegis shatters ASAP
Every aegis hits the maximum number of targets

Virtue of Courage = 6 aegis per 65.25 seconds =
6*631*5/65.25 = 290 dps
Virtue of Courage with Courageous Return = 6 aegis per 30 seconds =
6*631*5/30 = 631 dps

Retaliatory Subconscious = 1 aegis per 30 seconds =
1*631*5/30 = 105 dps

Retreat! = 5 aegis per 40 seconds =
5*631*5/40 = 394 dps

Valorous Defense = 1 aegis per 30 seconds =
1*631*5/30 = 105 dps

Communal Defenses = 5 aegis per 15 seconds =
5*631*5/15 = 1051 dps

Add all of those up and you get 1945-2286 dps depending on how often you rally or revive, given Courageous Return. At least half of that is Communal Defenses which I only calculated affecting 5 allies. Now that we have a good idea of what to expect from Shattered Aegis under perfect conditions, we can decide whether or not it’s better than Symbolic Avenger.

Symbolic Avenger gives you 10% more damage to enemies standing in your symbols. Therefore, Shattered Aegis must be greater than 10% of your current DPS to outperform Symbolic Avenger. If the 1945-2286 dps from Shattered aegis is worth 10% of your overall dps, we see that you must already be dealing 19,450-22,860 dps for Symbolic Avenger to be equal to Shattered Aegis (under absolute perfect conditions). This is assuming you always have a symbol active, which is only possible with Hammer 1 and the Writ of Persistence trait. You can get close with with Mace 2 and the Invigorating Bulwark and Writ of Persistence traits. Otherwise, you can only hope to use a symbol once per weapon swap. Greatsword can only give you a 6 second symbol every 16 seconds. Staff can give you a 6 second symbol every 12 seconds. That 10% damage from Symbolic Avenger suddenly becomes a 5% damage increase if you only have a symbol active half of the time.

I think hands down Shattered Aegis wins in large stacks, such as open world events. Not so much world bosses however, since you often aren’t being attacked during a burn phase. As far as PvE, there is one thing I haven’t touched on yet, which is the fact that aegis is a block. Even disregarding perfect scenarios, every aegis applied (shattered or not) is less damage taken, less CC taken, less conditions endured, less healing needed, less deaths, etc. for all party members. This alone should increase dps output for your whole party.

Last but not least, Shattered Aegis is just a cool trait. How can you call yourself a Guardian if you don’t guard? This trait rewards you for going block heavy, for the sake of defending your team.

Let me know what you think, where I might have gotten something wrong, or why you prefer Symbolic Avenger.

Attachments:

in Guardian

Posted by: Black Box.9312

Black Box.9312

Nerfing Symbolic Avenger to a paltry 10% was a big mistake to begin with, if you ask me.

in Guardian

Posted by: Hurrakan.4259

Hurrakan.4259

I noticed in my combat log that Shattered Aegis can crit, so sometimes the damage can be much higher. The log said something like “You critcally hit mob with Shattered Aegis for 2500”. That’s in PVE, full ascended zerker.

in Guardian

Posted by: SlayerSixx.5763

SlayerSixx.5763

Assuming all those aegis procs crit, we’re looking at a ridiculous 8-9k just for timing your aegis. That’s freaking amazing. I’ll honestly consider this as a way to give thieves and mesmers a most heartykitten

in Guardian

Posted by: RevanCorana.8942

RevanCorana.8942

for an aegis build you should use rune of resistance but tbh communal defense is mediocre now with the new 15 sec internal cooldown

in Guardian

Posted by: Vizardlorde.8243

Vizardlorde.8243

for an aegis build you should use rune of resistance but tbh communal defense is mediocre now with the new 15 sec internal cooldown

the internal cooldown used to be 20 secs it never had no internal cooldown >.>