Shield is still bad.

Shield is still bad.

in Guardian

Posted by: Black Box.9312

Black Box.9312

Now it’s good for one knockback every 30 seconds instead of one knockback every 40 seconds. There’s still no other reason to take it over a different offhand in any situation.

Can we get some real buffs for it, please?

Shield is still bad.

in Guardian

Posted by: Hattoni.8597

Hattoni.8597

They will never buff shield enough. The only hope is expansion, maybe there we will see guardian profession which relies more on shield.

Shield is still bad.

in Guardian

Posted by: Siva Mira.3546

Siva Mira.3546

And Shield of Absorption still bug duration -__-

All is vain.

Shield is still bad.

in Guardian

Posted by: Aggrostemma.1703

Aggrostemma.1703

They are just trying us if we accept the low cooldown abilities on these weapons.
No, we won’t.

Every other profession had the same “whatthekittenareyoutalkingabout” -5% CD or -0.5sec casting time spells and utilities…

Have fun!

#I no words have"

Shield is still bad.

in Guardian

Posted by: Lucentfir.7430

Lucentfir.7430

Its a improvement but there needs to be, at least 3 of 5 things to be done in order for it to be used more.

-Projectile Absorption duration bug fix(too short, only lasts half the duration it appears.)
-Remove the nerf on Shield 4 in Spvp (It really isn’t needed)
-Damage Buff on Shield 4
-Additional effect with Shield 4 like Aegis application, or weakness on foes.
-Shield Trait moved from Master’s tier to Adept.

Reth Grimrazor – Charr Guardian – [GWB]Grim Warband – Tarnished Coast
Redgen Furyblaze – Charr Guardian – [SHD]Shade Warband – Tarnished Coast
Lerious Warhowl – Charr Warrior – [SHD] Shade Warband – Tarnished Coast

Shield is still bad.

in Guardian

Posted by: Mikau.6920

Mikau.6920

And Shield of Absorption still bug duration -__-

Yep, just tested, the dome is still with lower duration that should have. :/

If they don’t want the shield to be viable, they should at least fix the bug.

Someone already posted it on bug forum:

https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/support/bugs/Shield-of-Absorption-Guardian/first#post4738402

Sorry for my english.

Shield is still bad.

in Guardian

Posted by: Tron.3471

Tron.3471

Agreed! Shield is a worthless weapon and no amount of CD reduction will change the fact that the 4 and 5 skills are just awful. There still is no reason to ever equip one on a guardian. Its a real shame.

Shield is still bad.

in Guardian

Posted by: Arken.3725

Arken.3725

Agreed, even with the (small) change to Litany, no one will touch it with a 10 ft. pole. It would be nice if we could discuss directly with the devs on why these changes are being implemented.

Shield is still bad.

in Guardian

Posted by: Crapgame.6519

Crapgame.6519

One of the glaring flaws is that the focus blocks better than the shield which makes absolutely zero sense outside the magical aspect on the focus.

Personally I see come expansion a few things needed:

1. Shield + Melee weapon block all incoming forward facing attacks (situational awareness)
2. Replace shield bubble / absorption with Wall of Reflection

Shield needs to block plain and simple and excel vs. melee combat. Of course with greater defense and survivability comes an adjustment down with offensive but that should be a choice which happens when one uses a shield…

Focus just makes no sense at all in the big picture outside the golden bombs of light and unicorns.

Main – Laaz Rocket – Guardian (Ehmry Bay)
Johnny Johnny – Ranger (Ehmry Bay)
Hárvey Wallbanger – Alt Warrior (Ehmry Bay)

Shield is still bad.

in Guardian

Posted by: Saiyan.1704

Saiyan.1704

Agreed! Shield is a worthless weapon and no amount of CD reduction will change the fact that the 4 and 5 skills are just awful. There still is no reason to ever equip one on a guardian. Its a real shame.

I use one with my hammer build. The extra knockback makes for a nice hammer chain… that’s about it :p

Apart from that, the shield is no where near its potential; every other weapon is just better. It needed a “Shield skills grants Aegis” trait :/

aka FalseLights
#5 best gerdien in wurld

(edited by Saiyan.1704)

Shield is still bad.

in Guardian

Arken.3725

There are plenty more issue’s I have with the Guardian. Shields CD reduction is an absolute waste. It actually had potential when you could lay it down, forgo the heal and attack while still inside the shield. Now it’s just a shell(no pun intended) of its former self.

Shield is still bad.

in Guardian

Crapgame.6519

Now it’s just a shell(no pun intended) of its former self.

I see what you did there.

Shield is still bad.

in Guardian

Mikau.6920

Other suggestion to make shield work:

• Make the Honorable Shield trait apply 5 sec of Aegis on Shield skills;
  • Make #5 drop&go (remove the channeling) and change the detonate to “heals 400/sec while on dome”, with a decent heal scaling;
  • Add 1/4 sec daze on #4 (for interrupts).

That alone wouldn’t make shield OP and the shield could finally be useful.

Sorry for my english.

Shield is still bad.

in Guardian

Posted by: Kicast.1459

Kicast.1459

On a previous patch .. engi shield 4 got buffed (made it possible to move while using the skill) .
I wonder if the people changing the professions are the same or if there is a particular guy for each of them.

Shield is still bad.

in Guardian

Arken.3725

Other suggestion to make shield work:

• Make the Honorable Shield trait apply 5 sec of Aegis on Shield skills;
  • Make #5 drop&go (remove the channeling) and change the detonate to “heals 400/sec while on dome”, with a decent heal scaling;
  • Add 1/4 sec daze on #4 (for interrupts).

That alone wouldn’t make shield OP and the shield could finally be useful.

I like the #5 change. That’s honestly what it used to be.

Shield is still bad.

in Guardian

Posted by: Knighthonor.4061

Knighthonor.4061

Shield of Judgement should grant Aegis to allies, and damage enemies causing confusion. now that could make it useful

Trained to add protection and regen to it.

Make Shield of Absorption into a Symbol that heals allies for any range damage that they would have received.
Keep the knock back but add a Ward to this as the secondary of the skill.

Shield is still bad.

in Guardian

Black Box.9312

Agreed, even with the (small) change to Litany, no one will touch it with a 10 ft. pole. It would be nice if we could discuss directly with the devs on why these changes are being implemented.

Their justification for Litany not being instant cast makes me laugh. They want healing skills to be interruptible to provide “counterplay”, and yet we have Withdraw on thief, which is not only instant cast, but has an evade built into it. Anyone know how to interrupt that?

Shield is still bad.

in Guardian

Arken.3725

Dude even with an instant-cast litany, i’d still never use it. The CD is too long, the base heal is too low and it’s not a guaranteed heal since you need reliable dmg(which the guardian lacks).

Shield is still bad.

in Guardian

Posted by: Razzy.2741

Razzy.2741

Just make skill #5 a blast finisher instead of a Light field.

People are so eager to make it overpowered. Aegis, wards, full HP restore symbol – yeah right.

You can already make protection last quite long with #4 on shield, traited virtue of courage and shouts, it’s good as it is now.

BEER Guild - Dungeon Riders

Shield is still bad.

in Guardian

Posted by: Harbinger.8637

Harbinger.8637

Their justification for Litany not being instant cast makes me laugh. They want healing skills to be interruptible to provide “counterplay”, and yet we have Withdraw on thief, which is not only instant cast, but has an evade built into it. Anyone know how to interrupt that?

The part that doesn’t make any sense at all, is LoW has the most counterplay out of any healing skill. You just have to simply avoid the Guard, which isn’t very difficult to do since Guards lack soft CCs. For example, if you’re fighting an Engi, all he has to do is use Gear Shield and your heal is worthless or a Warrior using Endure Pain.

LoW is a high risk reward type of skill, which I like, however the risk far outweighs the reward. When it comes to healing skills, you want a guaranteed heal, which is why Shelter is generally the most used healing skill. You are guaranteed a solid heal, while mitigating damage.

I really like the concept behind LoW, but it’s still lacking.

Guardian WvW Guide!
Heavens Rage

(edited by Harbinger.8637)

Shield is still bad.

in Guardian

Posted by: Aeolus.3615

Aeolus.3615

They are just trying us if we accept the low cooldown abilities on these weapons.
No, we won’t.

Every other profession had the same “whatthekittenareyoutalkingabout” -5% CD or -0.5sec casting time spells and utilities…

Have fun!

Its Anet at balancing, they dont know how to make a DPS game well balanced having roles(this is without holy trinity), reason they have been improving some damage on classes for damage is the only thing that matters.

I just hope they are not hiding the “not working skills/utilities” with this advanced class system, becouse that will look bad and players will notice.

1st April joke, when gw2 receives a “balance” update.

Shield is still bad.

in Guardian

Black Box.9312

Having a single balance update every 4-6 months certainly isn’t helping. We need balance patches once a month at MOST.

Shield is still bad.

in Guardian

Posted by: Obtena.7952

Obtena.7952

Didn’t we just have a thread on this? It might even be on the first page.

Shield is still bad.

in Guardian

Hattoni.8597

Having a single balance update every 4-6 months certainly isn’t helping. We need balance patches once a month at MOST.

Even one balance patch every half of year would be enough, but it should be patch that really balance things. You know, decreasing cd is not enough, but if they fix shield I’d be happy and don’t have a need for more patches.

Shield is still bad.

in Guardian

Posted by: Noah.4756

Noah.4756

I remember making a thread about how unused the shield is 9 months ago (including torch). For PvE shield will never play an important role because of the ‘focus’ on high DPS instead of defense. But even as a defensive weapon it’s weak.

- Shield of Judgment, protection duration of five seconds is so short! So we get the option for permanent protection on hammers and only five seconds on a shield skill. That’s 33% damage reduction for 5 seconds ladies and gentlemen. One of the most underpowered weapon skills in the game if you ask me.

- Shield of Absorption, I wish they’d allow us to move while using this skill like they changed the engineer shield. Also nobody in their right mind would want to stand still for 4 seconds doing nothing while your enemy is getting ready to do his next move. There’s not a lot of use to this skill unless you are about to capture a point in PvP.

Shield is still bad.

in Guardian

Mikau.6920

Sadly the shield does not have a place in anywhere. And the nerf on sPvP continues, even without any sense what so ever, not that changing to be the same as PvE version would make it better.

They need change both #4 and #5 to shield be viable. Even increasing the duration to 10 sec of protection on #4 and removing the channeling or allow to cast and move (the bubble would follow – new mechanic) on #5 could be enough to at least make this weapon viable.

I wanna use shield on Guardian so badly, but it seems we have to wait at least a year again to see they touching the shield

Sorry for my english.

Shield is still bad.

in Guardian

Crapgame.6519

I don’t think they will ever make shield 5 on movement because of the initial push-back. I guess they could make the initial cast a push then during movement it just blocks…but still seems awkward.

Remove focus is what I’ve always said and thought. It makes no sense that it blocks better than a shield. I’ll even go so far to say the same thing with mace, one handed sword, and a few other classes that block with a GS. Arena Net really missed the mark around what should and should not block.

Magical things like bubbles or temporary walls are one thing. Wielding a large piece of wood or steel block is another…

Shield is still bad.

in Guardian

Black Box.9312

I actually really like that idea of having the bubble just heal for x amount of HP/sec while you’re in it, with the channel and subskill removed. The bubble doesn’t have to be able to move, we just need to be able to do other things while it’s up.

Shield is still bad.

in Guardian

Posted by: Ynna.8769

Ynna.8769

It makes no sense that it blocks better than a shield. I’ll even go so far to say the same thing with mace, one handed sword, and a few other classes that block with a GS. Arena Net really missed the mark around what should and should not block.

Magical things like bubbles or temporary walls are one thing. Wielding a large piece of wood or steel block is another…

Pretty much every weapon in existence can be used to block (in real life), you know.

“Come on, hit me!”

Shield is still bad.

in Guardian

Hattoni.8597

Imagine 2H GS hit being blocked with torch

Shield is still bad.

in Guardian

Black Box.9312

It makes no sense that it blocks better than a shield. I’ll even go so far to say the same thing with mace, one handed sword, and a few other classes that block with a GS. Arena Net really missed the mark around what should and should not block.

Pretty much every weapon in existence can be used to block (in real life), you know.

Well if you’re going to provide that argument, you also have to mention how silly it is to try to block an attack with a harp or a baseball or a loose chain instead of an actual shield.

Shield is still bad.

in Guardian

Crapgame.6519

Well if you’re going to provide that argument, you also have to mention how silly it is to try to block an attack with a harp or a baseball or a loose chain instead of an actual shield.

Lol. This actually made me giggle

But yes, it is true to some degree but I was coming from the aspect that size does matter in this case. I very well could be wrong in that the focus has a history or something in GW1, I never played it. I just find it ironic that this little magical thing does a better job of blocking than a shield. Honestly, from day one, I thought shield would actually block but no, focus blocks more.

Could be ignorance (is bliss), could be that my main in DaOC was a Thane who’s shield actually blocked – so on my part it is a l2p

Shield is still bad.

in Guardian

Posted by: ArchonWing.9480

ArchonWing.9480

I reskinned my focus into a wine bottle (Courage). Hey, I mean if the thing that looks like a shield doesn’t block anyways, oh well. I’ll be drinking until it becomes better.

For once you have tasted flight you will walk the earth with your eyes turned skywards,
for there you have been and there you will long to return.

Shield is still bad.

in Guardian

Crapgame.6519

I reskinned my focus into a wine bottle (Courage). Hey, I mean if the thing that looks like a shield doesn’t block anyways, oh well. I’ll be drinking until it becomes better.

Lols. I’ll have to check that out just for giggles.

Shield is still bad.

in Guardian

Posted by: Shanks.2907

Shanks.2907

Before the cooldown buffs I thought it would be nice to see a knockdown on #4 and block while channeling #5. Now with the new cooldowns though I think it would be too much and now we’re just screwed with what we’ve got.

Shield is still bad.

in Guardian

Posted by: Cirian.8917

Cirian.8917

I agree that the shield is bad.

I posted an idea for a new skill 4 here:

https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/professions/guardian/Bring-back-Pulsing-Blade-Turn/first#post4747766

And as for skill 5, I’d like to see this being usable on the run so you can cover allies while on the move as a group. I was comparing this skill with Refraction (trident 4)… that skill might be a bit silly on land, but if Shield of Absorption was between that and where it is now it would be better. Perhaps 6s duration with 25s cooldown.

Shield is still bad.

in Guardian

Black Box.9312

I’ve been watching all this shield dislike, and I’d like to give some good points to this weirdly seen weapon of ours:

Shield of Judgment: Low damage, 5 second protection to five allies

I know it seems ridiculous giving some short protection to five people compared to the Hammer’s permanent protection, but look at other classes’ protection sources and see it is pretty rare, just like our stability, we have it so easily we don’t give it it’s credit. I know the damage is low, but don’t forget Protection is one of this game’s strongest buffs.

Shield of Absorption: AoE 360º 5 enemies knockback, with a 4 second(bugged, I know) projectile absorption

Although rare, we do have the longest blowout with Banish (750), but an AoE knockback is still pretty unique, while also defending from as many projectiles foes can fire at you, even from a gatling gun, and having the option to detonate the shield for a considerable AoE Heal.

Please understand that we may be too used to our easy protection and projectile deflection with Symbol of Protection, Wall of Reflection and Shield of the Avenger, but the Shield is not lame, but just maybe not on par with our other weapons/utilities.

But even when you just compare it to other offhands it shows how weak it really is.

Guardian shield has: 3/5 sec protection with minor damage; knockback and either heal or projectile block bubble that roots you, preventing other actions.

Guardian focus: Bouncing blind, regen, and condi clear; 3 block blast finisher that deals massive damage if all 3 blocks are not used.

Warrior shield: Stun w/ leap finisher; 3 second duration block (this alone is better than both guardian shield skills combined).

Engineer shield: Mobile projectile reflection bubble that can be detonated for knockback; block that also stuns which can be thrown for a bouncing daze instead.

Necro focus: bouncing regen/vuln stacker; boon strip that chills and deals strong damage.

Ele focus: 8 different abilities, including a projectile reflect that cures 3 conditions, a 6 second wide radius projectile block, and an invulnerability.

There’s a certain aspect of relativity to balance, and when you have all of these offhands that are clearly superior, it should be rather plain to see that guardian shield needs to be changed in order to be viable.

Shield is still bad.

in Guardian

Posted by: Obtena.7952

Obtena.7952

Though we can see that shield isn’t on par with Focus (I still think torch is stupid crap), I don’t believe the concept of the shield is necessarily one where you camp on it. Swap when you need it, pop the skill you need, go back to Focus.

Shield is still bad.

in Guardian

Posted by: Lalangamena.3694

Lalangamena.3694

the CD reductions are not addressing the main weaknesses of the shield, which are: the skills are crap.

shield 4 is clunky, very bad targeting angle, have not decided if it is defensive or offensive skill. low damage and low protection duration.

shield 5 is rooting, and provide only projectile absorption on a still very long CD.

shield 4 must either:
be AOE and not cone, or stay cone but increase the damage by at least 50%, or stay cone but increase the protection duration by 50%.

shield 5 must either:
remove the root, make the dome follow around you.
or keep the root, but make the dome projectile reflection.
or keep the root and make the dome total invulnerability area (enemies cant enter.)

everything about the shield have been discussed in the first year of the game, back in 2012 but Anet chose not to listen and do nothing.

Shield is still bad.

in Guardian

Ynna.8769

The Focus is a magical weapon, you block with it using magic.

“Come on, hit me!”

Shield is still bad.

in Guardian

Black Box.9312

The Focus is a magical weapon, you block with it using magic.

You’re not being serious still, are you?

Shield is still bad.

in Guardian

Ynna.8769

Realism debates about what weapons should do what are silly. Not only because Guild Wars has actual magic, but also because balance and theme will always come first. The skills on the weapons are also limited and each profession has different needs.

I’m not saying the Shield is an awesome weapon. All I’m saying is that “Shield is supposed to block” isn’t a constructive argument. Swords are supposed to bleed, hammers and maces are supposed to daze, etc. Greatswords don’t exactly shoot laserbeams in real life.

“Come on, hit me!”

Shield is still bad.

in Guardian

Black Box.9312

Realism debates about what weapons should do what are silly. Not only because Guild Wars has actual magic, but also because balance and theme will always come first. The skills on the weapons are also limited and each profession has different needs.

I’m not saying the Shield is an awesome weapon. All I’m saying is that “Shield is supposed to block” isn’t a constructive argument. Swords are supposed to bleed, hammers and maces are supposed to daze, etc. Greatswords don’t exactly shoot laserbeams in real life.

As far as I’m aware, you were the one to bring realism into debate by asserting that “anything can be used to block in real life”.

So I don’t really see where you’re going with this.

Shield is still bad.

in Guardian

Arken.3725

Just to point this out there, I’ve been told that the Guardian has a plethora of blocks, blinds and invuls. Now obviously if you count one block at a time, you’d be correct. However, from my understanding, other professions have access to longer duration blocks on similar if not shorter cd’s which makes me feel like the Guardian has to be a lot more careful. So I feel like there needs to be more of a reward for doing so.

On topic: Allowing it to be placed and then allowing you to perform actions (like it was before they fixed it) would be an amazing start.

Shield is still bad.

in Guardian

Mikau.6920

I’ve been watching all this shield dislike, and I’d like to give some good points to this weirdly seen weapon of ours:

I know it seems ridiculous giving some short protection to five people compared to the Hammer’s permanent protection, but look at other classes’ protection sources and see it is pretty rare, just like our stability, we have it so easily we don’t give it it’s credit. I know the damage is low, but don’t forget Protection is one of this game’s strongest buffs.

Shield of Absorption: AoE 360º 5 enemies knockback, with a 4 second(bugged, I know) projectile absorption

Although rare, we do have the longest blowout with Banish (750), but an AoE knockback is still pretty unique, while also defending from as many projectiles foes can fire at you, even from a gatling gun, and having the option to detonate the shield for a considerable AoE Heal.

Please understand that we may be too used to our easy protection and projectile deflection with Symbol of Protection, Wall of Reflection and Shield of the Avenger, but the Shield is not lame, but just maybe not on par with our other weapons/utilities.

But even when you just compare it to other offhands it shows how weak it really is.

Guardian shield has: 3/5 sec protection with minor damage; knockback and either heal or projectile block bubble that roots you, preventing other actions.

Guardian focus: Bouncing blind, regen, and condi clear; 3 block blast finisher that deals massive damage if all 3 blocks are not used.

Warrior shield: Stun w/ leap finisher; 3 second duration block (this alone is better than both guardian shield skills combined).

Engineer shield: Mobile projectile reflection bubble that can be detonated for knockback; block that also stuns which can be thrown for a bouncing daze instead.

Necro focus: bouncing regen/vuln stacker; boon strip that chills and deals strong damage.

Ele focus: 8 different abilities, including a projectile reflect that cures 3 conditions, a 6 second wide radius projectile block, and an invulnerability.

There’s a certain aspect of relativity to balance, and when you have all of these offhands that are clearly superior, it should be rather plain to see that guardian shield needs to be changed in order to be viable.

In this comparasion, consider only Swirling Winds (Elementalist focus #4 on air) with Shield of Absorption:

• You are not rooted from using this skill; (+)
  • Does not Knockback; (-)
  • Have higher duration (6 sec); (+)
  • Does not take out your actions to keep the projectile absorbtion. (+)
  • (I won’t put detonate on table because the healing is only symbolic)

This comparasion only shows that:
A – The shield #5 is only a AoE knockback with 30 sec CD (which is a lot worse than the engi #4, that can reflect and move);
B – This skill takes out Guardian Action to keep. But Wall of Reflection does it a lot better (does not requires root; have higher uptime; does not take out Guardian actions). I know that I can not compare an utility to a weapon skill, but this skill is just too weak;
C – Not only that, but we aren’t using Focus or even Torch that would do a lot of things that really have an impact on the combat.

Conclusion:
If the #5 were just like Swirling Winds, it would be infinitely better (we would lose a knockback and a symbolic healing that is the same as nothing) or have an AoE knockback with 15 sec Cooldown, but no projectile absorbtion or secondary effects (they add nothing to the fight). This only shows how bad this skill is.

And not only #5 is bad, but the #4 is as well, making the Shield on Guardian the worst weapon in the game. Still, there is no reason at all to take shield over torch or focus, in fact, you can use shield if you want a 30 sec CD AoE knockback and only this. The #4 have so little impact (even if you hit allies) that does not worth a mention.

Sorry for my english.

(edited by Mikau.6920)

Shield is still bad.

in Guardian

Saiyan.1704

^ B The Absorption ability limits the Guardian in doing what he suppose to does best… Guard.
Either make us mobile on #5 or have the #5 ability have a constant aoe heal throughout the channeling effect. So you can either chain with the Guardian’s knockback, or be more defensive, supportive, in its aoe healing effect.
I want the last effect myself.

@ Velho
I would argue that Might is one of the game’s strongest buffs. Even after its nerf. No one talks about how op protection is. There’s no comparison between Hammer’s protection and shield #4. One requires a melee chain to proc, the other is a more distant effect that you can maybe cast if you’re expecting heavy hitters.
#4’s protection needs to increase by 2s and its damage ratio.

Personally I’d be happy if there was a trait to give it a 120 radius Aegis. Even a 60 radius Aegis would he a breather for #4.
Because 1) #4 damage sucks. 2) It’s support abilities suck for a Guardian’s Shield skill. 3) You can spec for either defensive or supportive on the trait line.
Increase casting time to 1s and it should be fine.

aka FalseLights
#5 best gerdien in wurld

(edited by Saiyan.1704)

Shield is still bad.

in Guardian

Posted by: Camarell.5648

Camarell.5648

In this comparasion, consider only Swirling Winds (Elementalist focus #4 on air) with Shield of Absorption:

• You are not rooted from using this skill; (+)
  • Does not Knockback; (-)
  • Have higher duration (6 sec); (+)
  • Does not take out your actions to keep the projectile absorbtion. (+)
  • (I won’t put detonate on table because the healing is only symbolic)

This comparasion only shows that:
A – The shield #5 is only a AoE knockback with 30 sec CD (which is a lot worse than the engi #4, that can reflect and move);
B – This skill takes out Guardian Action to keep. But Wall of Reflection does it a lot better (does not requires root; have higher uptime; does not take out Guardian actions). I know that I can not compare an utility to a weapon skill, but this skill is just too weak;
C – Not only that, but we aren’t using Focus or even Torch that would do a lot of things that really have an impact on the combat.

Conclusion:
If the #5 were just like Swirling Winds, it would be infinitely better (we would lose a knockback and a symbolic healing that is the same as nothing) or have an AoE knockback with 15 sec Cooldown, but no projectile absorbtion or secondary effects (they add nothing to the fight). This only shows how bad this skill is.

And not only #5 is bad, but the #4 is as well, making the Shield on Guardian the worst weapon in the game. Still, there is no reason at all to take shield over torch or focus, in fact, you can use shield if you want a 30 sec CD AoE knockback and only this. The #4 have so little impact (even if you hit allies) that does not worth a mention.

… or make #5 root u for 4 sec. Allies inside gets protection and dmg taken by allies is shared with u (guard).

Shield is still bad.

in Guardian

Posted by: Tron.3471

Tron.3471

Everyone always talks like the knockback is a good thing and its not. Knockbacks are almost never useful simply because it knocks enemys away from the damage you or your party is trying to do. The shield 5 should just knockdown, that way you keep the utility of the interrupt while still being able to damage the enemy or assist a downed player.

Its so annoying when you are fighting as a group and you a guard pop shield 5 it it knocks it out of your WW/symbol/etc. And for what, a terrible heal and a 2 sec projectile defense? Its just simply never worth using over the guardians other superior offhands.

Shield is still bad.

in Guardian

Posted by: SnakeEyes.5198

SnakeEyes.5198

While I love the movie Tron, I have to disagree with you. I have a cleric build guardian, and I find the shield is very good. Like any other tool, you have to get used to using it, but the shield can deal a substantial amount of healing.

I’m sure most of us will have to agree to disagree, but here is why I love the shield:

64 defense – the only item that has it. It also effects agro. It is noted as one of the items that effects agro. My goal is to hold agro, as I use the Invincadin build.

Knockback heal – Not only does this allow me to control my enemies, keep them pressed up at a wall or wipe a control resist charge on a high end boss, fully charged I heal for 1715 when I use it. I use this all the time to interrupt enemies, control them, etc.

Like any other tool in your belt, if you know to use it correctly it’s awesome. Today I used it to knock wandering enemies back into the grind stack (SE first boss they started running out, I rolled out popped shield and it knocked them back into the pocket and healed my teammates. – when used well …..

Shield of absorbtion, this reduces all damage taken by my teammembers by 33% when I line it up right. What isn’t there to like about that.

Shield is still bad.

in Guardian

Saiyan.1704

While I love the movie Tron, I have to disagree with you. I have a cleric build guardian, and I find the shield is very good. Like any other tool, you have to get used to using it, but the shield can deal a substantial amount of healing.

I’m sure most of us will have to agree to disagree, but here is why I love the shield:

64 defense – the only item that has it. It also effects agro. It is noted as one of the items that effects agro. My goal is to hold agro, as I use the Invincadin build.

Knockback heal – Not only does this allow me to control my enemies, keep them pressed up at a wall or wipe a control resist charge on a high end boss, fully charged I heal for 1715 when I use it. I use this all the time to interrupt enemies, control them, etc.

Like any other tool in your belt, if you know to use it correctly it’s awesome. Today I used it to knock wandering enemies back into the grind stack (SE first boss they started running out, I rolled out popped shield and it knocked them back into the pocket and healed my teammates. – when used well …..

Shield of absorbtion, this reduces all damage taken by my teammembers by 33% when I line it up right. What isn’t there to like about that.

I’m not saying the Shield is bad in it’s supportive, bunkering roll… it’s simply worse than it’s other 1 hander counterparts.

-Torch is Offensive
-Focus can be Defensive or Offensive.
-Shield is defensive.

I’ve accept that Shield is a pure defensive weapon and that it’s not going to receive a damage buff anytime soon. However, even certain bunkers are using Focus as a viable Defensive weapon due to #4’s condi cleanses and #5 3x block. There’s absolutely no reason to choose Shield over it, even if you’re a full heal guard Clerics.

Shield can be Great in certain scenarios… overall it’s very low-grade compared to Focus.

aka FalseLights
#5 best gerdien in wurld