Shield is still bad.

Shield is still bad.

in Guardian

Posted by: Tron.3471

Tron.3471

Are you serious, why would you waste a clear defiant on a knockback!!! I lol’d at your 64 defense and the fact that you think you can hold aggro. This game is not designed for one player to hold consistent aggro on a boss and many boss have various aggro mechanics.

I just plain disagree that the shield can deal a substantial healing with its cooldown. You are better of using staff and empower if you want to group heal. This is the whole argument – Shield doesn’t bring anything better than what we already have, so why use it?

Also if your goal is complete SE the slowest possible way, then clerics gear is the right choice i guess.

Anytime I have ever seen someone use a knockback in a dungeon, they immediately get kicked because knockbacks have no place in dungeons. This is especially true after the FGS nerf because there is no reason to have the boss against the wall anymore….. You should be clearing defiant and freezing the boss, not knocking him back….

Shield is still bad.

in Guardian

Posted by: Sublime Le Peasant.1932

Sublime Le Peasant.1932

Ey guys,
So yes the ’’shield’’ in PvE is terribad, nothing to bring on the table.

**But in Pvp, if we look at a support role, the Shield brings on the Table many peels and clutch plays, that the focus wont bring for your team..

If you look at it that way, the #5 of shield offer a knockback that is very hard to dodge and almost instant, wich can interrupts an ennemie opening, easy to ensure decaps(conquest mode) + offer 1.5k heal aprox in aoe to your team.
What is sad is the ‘’bug Correction’’ that anet did on the projectiles absorption, when you could cancel it and still keep the reflection*..

The #4, offer protection for an average of 5seconds/25cd, protection is 1 of the best boon in the game. You dont care about the damage, so maybe yes It can still get a small buff on the effect like weakness if cast towards ennemies..
But it dsnt need Aegis, I feel if aegis is been add, and you play with the traits aegis heals, it is going to be way 2 stronk..

But thats only my point of view
cheers

Top 50, before April 15th, 2014 Feature Patch.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DWk2ObTvn9s
Gerdien

(edited by Sublime Le Peasant.1932)

Shield is still bad.

in Guardian

Posted by: Saiyan.1704

Saiyan.1704

I’m a little behind in the PvP’s Bunker Guardian Meta so please bring me up to snuff. I for sure thought Staff was a win over Shield in aoe Heals + Might + cc.

Is shield a for sure decapping weapon, with Knockback giving many peels and clutch plays?

aka FalseLights
#5 best gerdien in wurld

Shield is still bad.

in Guardian

Posted by: Black Box.9312

Black Box.9312

As I said originally, shield is good for a 30 second cd aoe knockback (which used to be 40). There’s literally no other good reason to bring one to a fight, ever.

Shield is still bad.

in Guardian

Posted by: Harbinger.8637

Harbinger.8637

Ey guys,
So yes the ’’shield’’ in PvE is terribad, nothing to bring on the table.

**But in Pvp, if we look at a support role, the Shield brings on the Table many peels and clutch plays, that the focus wont bring for your team..

If you look at it that way, the #5 of shield offer a knockback that is very hard to dodge and almost instant, wich can interrupts an ennemie opening, easy to ensure decaps(conquest mode) + offer 1.5k heal aprox in aoe to your team.
What is sad is the ‘’bug Correction’’ that anet did on the projectiles absorption, when you could cancel it and still keep the reflection*..

The #4, offer protection for an average of 5seconds/25cd, protection is 1 of the best boon in the game. You dont care about the damage, so maybe yes It can still get a small buff on the effect like weakness if cast towards ennemies..
But it dsnt need Aegis, I feel if aegis is been add, and you play with the traits aegis heals, it is going to be way 2 stronk..

But thats only my point of view
cheers

I agree shield is good in pvp, anytime I play bunker, it’s my offhand. However, it’s not five seconds of protection. It’s only three in pvp, and if you go fully into Virtues then it’s four. Which is one of my issues with it, Shield of Judgment should be base five seconds, there is no reason for the nerf in pvp.

Guardian WvW Guide!
Heavens Rage

Shield is still bad.

in Guardian

Posted by: Ranor.5261

Ranor.5261

I am greatly disappointed with the shield, it’s our class icon and yet it’s practically useless in PvE and highly situational at best in PvP. Even engineers have better shield skills, we ought to at least have one skill with it that also acts as a block.

Shield is still bad.

in Guardian

Posted by: Camarell.5648

Camarell.5648

I am greatly disappointed with the shield, it’s our class icon and yet it’s practically useless in PvE and highly situational at best in PvP. Even engineers have better shield skills, we ought to at least have one skill with it that also acts as a block.

+1 this, i couldnt agree to a better summary

Shield is still bad.

in Guardian

Posted by: YuiRS.8129

YuiRS.8129

Shield 5 should last longer and heal while it’s active, Shield 5 cancel should give Aegis, Shield 4 should either deal more damage or have an additional secondary effect.

Shield is still bad.

in Guardian

Posted by: Arken.3725

Arken.3725

Shield is just one of the many issue’s I find with the Guardian. Just to name a few: Shield near-useless, only profession that requires its elite skill to be traited for it to be any decent, worst-ranged weaponry.

Edit: Maybe once the expansion hits, things will change for the better.

(edited by Arken.3725)

Shield is still bad.

in Guardian

Posted by: Xhyros.1340

Xhyros.1340

Shield skills do seem a bit underwhelming. It’s much more of a burst defensive weapon than the hammer is. You can’t really rely on hammer’s protection in a pinch, it takes a long time for that symbol to come out. The AoE knockback is pretty unique and is the ONLY weapon hard cc option guardians have for one-handing (all the other guardian hard cc are on the two-handed weapons or utilities). If you want the ranged dps of a scepter, but want some of the hard cc/protection capabilities of the hammer (though to a much lesser extent), the shield gives you that option.

That being said, I do heavily prefer the focus over the shield too.

Shield is still bad.

in Guardian

Posted by: FoopOplo.7914

FoopOplo.7914

Shield is fine. Dat focus cc is OP….

Don’t play GUILD wars without a GUILD!

http://www.Vicarious-Gaming.enjin.com

Shield is still bad.

in Guardian

Posted by: Crapgame.6519

Crapgame.6519

Realism debates about what weapons should do what are silly. Not only because Guild Wars has actual magic, but also because balance and theme will always come first. The skills on the weapons are also limited and each profession has different needs.

I’m not saying the Shield is an awesome weapon. All I’m saying is that “Shield is supposed to block” isn’t a constructive argument. Swords are supposed to bleed, hammers and maces are supposed to daze, etc. Greatswords don’t exactly shoot laserbeams in real life.

As far as I’m aware, you were the one to bring realism into debate by asserting that “anything can be used to block in real life”.

So I don’t really see where you’re going with this.

It was probably me, not that it matters. The fact is the focus and mace block better than a shield. End of discussion on the fictional comment I made – intent was not to side track just state shield doesn’t do what it is naturally supposed to.

Personally speaking it needs an overhaul and needs to block. Also attach a guard feature to it so it intercepts melee attacks if you are near person guard is stacked on. Or blocks frontal attacks with a higher percentage.

I don’t know but shields should be mandated one would think to command out in WvW and/or push forward. As it is now it is just lack luster on all counts.

Main – Laaz Rocket – Guardian (Ehmry Bay)
Johnny Johnny – Ranger (Ehmry Bay)
Hárvey Wallbanger – Alt Warrior (Ehmry Bay)

Shield is still bad.

in Guardian

Posted by: Lightsbane.9012

Lightsbane.9012

you’d think shield on a class called guardian would be more emphasized. but nope.

As quick as the Valkyries ride,
As true as Odin’s spear flies,
There is nowhere to hide.

Shield is still bad.

in Guardian

Posted by: Adam.3716

Adam.3716

You have know idea how much I want to use shield in my medizerk build. Currently running sword/focus scepter/torch. I have the mad moon skin sitting in my bank being completely unused. It would just hinder my builds capabilities so much to do so.

Shield is still bad.

in Guardian

Posted by: Camarell.5648

Camarell.5648

You have know idea how much I want to use shield in my medizerk build. Currently running sword/focus scepter/torch. I have the mad moon skin sitting in my bank being completely unused. It would just hinder my builds capabilities so much to do so.

I know your frustration. I recommende u have the shield in your inventory and slot it when u are in towns. Thats what i do.

Shield is still bad.

in Guardian

Posted by: Caiden.9074

Caiden.9074

Shield isn’t awful, it’s just not viable for what a lot of people want. Will shield synergize with your Zerker setup? Nope. It’s not for that. The weapon’s role is to apply protection, which combos with some traits (boons), and the shield 5 skill is excellent for reviving allies, clearing points, splitting groups and similar.

I use shield in my Soldier’s build. It’s very good for its purpose but outside of that, I agree completely that it isn’t worth while. The biggest issue with shield is it has no diversity. If you’re not built to use it, it’s not a viable pick.

Just my insight and what I’ve found from tPvP and WvW.

A true warrior does not give up what he loves, he finds the love in what he does.

Shield is still bad.

in Guardian

Posted by: Ynna.8769

Ynna.8769

I use shield in my Soldier’s build. It’s very good for its purpose but outside of that, I agree completely that it isn’t worth while. The biggest issue with shield is it has no diversity. If you’re not built to use it, it’s not a viable pick.

I’ve also used the Shield on occasion and I agree that it’s not as bad as people make it out to be but it really isn’t better than the Focus outside of a very few (niche) situations. In most situations the Focus offers better damage, support and defense.

“Come on, hit me!”

Shield is still bad.

in Guardian

Posted by: Black Box.9312

Black Box.9312

Shield isn’t awful, it’s just not viable for what a lot of people want. Will shield synergize with your Zerker setup? Nope. It’s not for that. The weapon’s role is to apply protection, which combos with some traits (boons), and the shield 5 skill is excellent for reviving allies, clearing points, splitting groups and similar.

Just my insight and what I’ve found from tPvP and WvW.

The problem is that even in a build that shield is ‘meant’ to be in, I would still rather take focus. And so would almost anyone with any sort of sense.

That should be an immediate red flag.

Shield is still bad.

in Guardian

Posted by: Nemesis.6938

Nemesis.6938

i personally would like if the whole shield 2 skills was scrapped and reworked into something else…but if you keep it yeah, rather turn it into a symbol that applies healing and aegis or something…
but to be honest – id prefer having it scrapped and turned it into a charge/bash that applies a 1sec stun or even better weakness

(edited by Nemesis.6938)