Shield main hand?

Shield main hand?

in Guardian

Posted by: Teamkiller.4315

Teamkiller.4315

I was playing Dark Souls earlier and I discovered I could equip a shield in my main hand. I then thought about my guardian in gw2.

Wouldn’t it be interesting if you could equip a shield main hand? At the cost of nearly all your dps, you would have substantially higher defense and support. At the moment guardians dont have access to any dual wield, while most of the other classes do.

Shield main hand?

in Guardian

Posted by: TigerDragon.4037

TigerDragon.4037

I don’t think shield mainhand would be good. However, mace off hand might work well.

Sinking ships in WvW on SBI with pride.
Plastered Tyrian Sea Devils [PTSD]
Agadar.4931: A bad mesmer still poops clones like no tomorrow.

Shield main hand?

in Guardian

Posted by: Asmodal.6489

Asmodal.6489

I really like the idea… but shield/shield would make you look like a brass monkey

I would approve if it becomes like a tower shield and counts as a 2hand weapon (hello 2hand mastery)
all skins could stay the same the shield would just get 50% larger and you would get 5 unique skills.

1- shield bash, boom, bang +confusion
2- Bunker block all attacks for 3 seconds – knock back blocked melee attackers
3- Split the crowd – charge in a line knocking sideways all foes along the way
4- shattering arc – shield roundhouse
5- Human shield – block all attacks and reflect all projectile from the front

Shield main hand?

in Guardian

Posted by: MiloSales.8560

MiloSales.8560

I’m with Asmodal.

I’d make it a condition weapon though to give Condtion builds some needed love. That would help compensate for the lack of base damage as well. Also, I’d go kind of Captain America style and give it some range, since it’s something Guardians are sorely lacking.

1: Shield Throw: A disc of light shoots forth and bounces off up to 3 targets, applying bleeding – more stacks for fewer targets. 20% projectile finisher.
(Imagine Cap throwing his shield, but instead a disc of light flies out and bounces but the shield stays in place):

2: Parabolic Blast: Channeled 3 seconds: Blasts a beam of light from the shield dealing minor damage and applying X stacks of Burning over duration of channel. Blast Finisher.

3: Rebounding Barrier: For 3 seconds, reflects all projectiles and blocks up to 1 or 2 melee attacks, if hit with more melee attacks, explodes and applies small AOE bleed.

4: Inspired Charge: Rushes forward (ala Ride The Lightning) and applies burning on opponents in the way and a small AOE Burning on enemies and small heal on allies.

5: Circle Of Radiance: Symbol: applies burning and blind to enemies inside, grants protection and regen to allies inside. Combo field Fire. (Long-ish Cooldown?)

Attacks would have token damage, 90% of damage would come from the Conditions, and have a lesser overall Damage potential than other weapons, but give a proportional armor boost.

The idea is you can hang back and apply some conditions while supporting then rush in and cause some havoc while popping a small heal, hit 5, and switch to a melee weapon, wait for Inspired Charge to come off CD, use it to rush out, heal anyone out of melee with the end of the rush, range some more and support then back into the fray.

(edited by MiloSales.8560)

Shield main hand?

in Guardian

Posted by: Aven.7295

Aven.7295

man i just want a sheild skill that uses the awesome charge animation. i love the spin shoulderslam. Unfortunately ive been so disapointed with guardian shield and so impressed with warrior im actual in the process of leveling a warrior X_x

Aven Scorchfield, lvl 80 Guardian
Server: Maguma
Guild: Judgement [Eye]

Shield main hand?

in Guardian

Posted by: Obtena.7952

Obtena.7952

I had to think about the brass monkey comment for a bit. LOL

I conceptually can’t see a shield main hand ‘weapon’.

Shield main hand?

in Guardian

Posted by: Teamkiller.4315

Teamkiller.4315

I was thinking that one of the shield’s abilities should give aegis on demand.

Since you’re not doing a lot of damage and it’s more a defensive weapon, say:

Shield 3 – Grants aegis for 10 seconds. CD 15 seconds. (Which is on par with protector’s strike, except protector’s strike retaliates and gives protection if not procced. In exchange for the lack of such a utility on shield 3 you are permitted to do other things while having the free block)

Shield main hand?

in Guardian

Posted by: Obtena.7952

Obtena.7952

Yeah, but look at the offhand skills you get with shield already … One is protection. Other is a knockback + group heal. You want to add on demand Aegis to that with a mainhand sheild, not to mention the on demand aegis you get with Virtue of Courage? Aside form the obvious “!?!?”, This isn’t even my primary hangup with the idea.

My main problem is what kind of offensive ability would you give a main hand shield? I do think there needs to be a limit to how much defensive capability you want to impart on a Guardian, even if you think their offensive capability in a certain setup should be next to nothing.

Shield main hand?

in Guardian

Posted by: Irena.1062

Irena.1062

I don’t know about this idea, however dual maces would probably work better for Guardian. The other 2 moves for dual maces Riposte and Retaliate would work better overall IMO. This is a very bad idea to limit your offense so, even so it would be fun to watch.