Sigil choices for a tanky DPS

in Guardian

Posted by: Konrad.9587

Konrad.9587

Q:

I’m almost done with gearing a tanky DPS guardian but I can’t decide on the sigils. I intend to run mainly dungeon PvE and fractals with this character.

Taking into consideration 45% critical chance and 78% critical damage, which sigil/s would be the best for a greatsword in terms of damage output? And for scepter + focus?
a) Superior Sigil of Force
b) Superior Sigil of Accuracy
c) Superior Sigil of Strength (without boon duration runes)
d) Superior Sigil of Strength (with 40% boon duration runes)
e) Superior Sigil of Blood (but the wiki says it doesn’t work with 2 handed weapons…)

Any help appreciated.

in Guardian

Posted by: akamon.2769

akamon.2769

For GS:
i personally quite like Strength.

not sure about blood but i have heard people use it with hammer. along with omnomberry pie / ghosts which really boosts the lifesteal capabilities.

for DPS a lot of people like using Fire and Air as well.

Scepter/Focus:
i’d throw in a sigil of accuracy in either the MH or OH here.
and i know this isn’t directly DPS related, but if you’re running mh and oh, sigil of energy is a good choice too, since you get pretty much an extra dodge on swap. which can be useful.

Akaimon | Jolly Good Guardian
Akaigi | Warrior Made of Wood
[CDS] – Sanctum of Rall

in Guardian

Posted by: Dcollins.6973

Dcollins.6973

Throw a Sigil of Rage in the Scepter and that baby turns into a Machine gun!!! You won’t be mad you did it!

ArenaNets idea of a legendary is appalling…
Illivatur – Juggernaut – Eternity – Jade Quarry

in Guardian

Posted by: Codo.2860

Codo.2860

I just say that Accuracy increases your damage more than 5%, so Force is not an option.

in Guardian

Posted by: haviz.1340

haviz.1340

I just say that Accuracy increases your damage more than 5%, so Force is not an option.

Actually simple math tells otherwise, unless you have some procs on-crit but most of the good ones have ICDs so higher crit chance won’t give you anything. In his case Force is better than Accuracy.

I really like that name “tanky DPS”. Real DPS guardian deals about 50-60% more damage than standard “tanky DPS” spec.

in Guardian

Posted by: Alvik.4207

Alvik.4207

Actually simple math tells otherwise, unless you have some procs on-crit but most of the good ones have ICDs so higher crit chance won’t give you anything. In his case Force is better than Accuracy.

I really like that name “tanky DPS”. Real DPS guardian deals about 50-60% more damage than standard “tanky DPS” spec.

As to your first statement, since he has +78% crit damage sigil of Accuracy is simply just better.

in Guardian

haviz.1340

As to your first statement, since he has +78% crit damage sigil of Accuracy is simply just better.

That’s why everyone thinks that tanky dps works because they have additional crit damage from valor line. Seems I have to prove it to you it’s otherwise. Damage formula:

Pwr * K * [1 + Crit Chance * (Crit Damage – 1)]
(where K depends on weapon, skill coefficients and enemies armor)

Assuming constant power and coefficient K we have:

• for Sigil of Force
    1.05 * (1 + 0.45 * 1.28) = 1.6548
  • for Sigil of Accuracy
    1 + 0.50 * 1.28 = 1.64

The difference is small, about 1% but still, Sigil of Force is better in his case. Only with more than 131% crit damage with his current crit chance or with less than 22% crit chance with his current crit damage Sigil of Accuracy would be better.

in Guardian

Posted by: Aberrant.6749

Aberrant.6749

More might procs for the entire party on crit not included in the formula… accuracy.

For my scepter + shield I use accuracy + fire. It procs that aoe very very often with the rapid attack of scepter & smite. I would highly recommend that set up for you scepter + focus.

Tarnished Coast
Salvage 4 Profit + MF Guide – http://tinyurl.com/l8ff6pa

(edited by Aberrant.6749)

in Guardian

haviz.1340

More might procs for the entire party on crit not included in the formula… accuracy.

For my scepter + shield I use accuracy + fire. It procs that aoe very very often with the rapid attack of scepter & smite. I would highly recommend that set up for you scepter + focus.

EM has 1s ICD and 45% crit chance is enough if you attack 2 mobs (0.83s autoattack speed). Having better crit chance won’t proc it more because with 45% he’s already at the limit. Not to mention Sigil of Fire has 5s ICD. Now, don’t get me wrong, I like bigger crit chance (I have 103% with fury and without any food on my guardian), but for strictly better dps in his case Sigil of Force is better. There’s virtually no difference at proccing with 45% or 100% if you attack at least 2 mobs, you still get same amount of might stacks from crits.

in Guardian

Posted by: Alvik.4207

Alvik.4207

~~

Apologies, I’m the fool.

in Guardian

Posted by: Codo.2860

Codo.2860

EM has 1s ICD and 45% crit chance is enough if you attack 2 mobs (0.83s autoattack speed). Having better crit chance won’t proc it more because with 45% he’s already at the limit. Not to mention Sigil of Fire has 5s ICD. Now, don’t get me wrong, I like bigger crit chance (I have 103% with fury and without any food on my guardian), but for strictly better dps in his case Sigil of Force is better. There’s virtually no difference at proccing with 45% or 100% if you attack at least 2 mobs, you still get same amount of might stacks from crits.

I’m the fool too, you’re indeed right about damage.
But saying that with 45% EM is at the limit is a bit too much. If you hit 2 mobs you have 30% not to get any crit, this will make you lose some triggers, and you will spend much time fighting against single bosses too.