Size matters for skills?!

in Guardian

Posted by: Pykus.4102

Pykus.4102

I was quite distraught after reaching level 60 and finding that my Asura Guardian is affected by his size. The only ability I could test with a low level Norn was the Shield of Absorption. The radius of the Norn was almost twice that of the Asura.

Anyone else notice this?

in Guardian

Posted by: Ynna.8769

Ynna.8769

Shouldn’t be. It might just seem that way. The hitbox of all the races should be the same.

“Come on, hit me!”

in Guardian

Posted by: Shimond.2478

Shimond.2478

Far as I know it’s visual only, not effect.

in Guardian

Pykus.4102

Hit box is not the same as radius of effect. It could just be the graphics, but the graphic display of the bubble is over twice as large. Also, there is no “radius” on the tooltip as there is for some other abilities.

Edit: I did a test with a guildmate to verify the radius was larger. I noticed this difference in size while watching a Guardian video of sPvP.

in Guardian

Posted by: SuperLuigi.3720

SuperLuigi.3720

Someone else has mentioned this problem before, and provided video proof that size does affect SoA’s radius.

Hopefully it will be fixed soon.

in Guardian

Posted by: Carsormyr.3950

Carsormyr.3950

I think it should stay as is. It makes sense that Asura, being smaller, would create a smaller shield bubble.

in Guardian

Posted by: DesertRose.2031

DesertRose.2031

I think it should stay as is. It makes sense that Asura, being smaller, would create a smaller shield bubble.

Yeap, it makes totally sense that you’re kittened for the rest of the game for making a mistake at the very first minute you played the game, like choosing the wrong race…

in Guardian

Posted by: Carsormyr.3950

Carsormyr.3950

Yeap, it makes totally sense that you’re kittened for the rest of the game for making a mistake at the very first minute you played the game, like choosing the wrong race…

Calm down, it doesn’t even make a difference. This is getting blown way out of proportion. So the shield is a little smaller, who cares. It still does exactly what the other race’s shields do and aside from a few VERY situational fights it means nothing.

in Guardian

Posted by: DesertRose.2031

DesertRose.2031

Wow, amazing what kind of words get censored; US guys are really hyper-sensitive about cursing.
Even if we assume that an about 4 times bigger area of knowback, combo field and heal is insignificant it goes against the premise that the race choice is purely cosmetic aside from the racial skills.

in Guardian

Ynna.8769

I agree with DesertRose. Guild Wars wanted to remove racial imbalance (especially in sPvP), so Asuras being shafted is kinda bad.

“Come on, hit me!”

in Guardian

SuperLuigi.3720

DesertRose is right. The knockback is bigger, the combo field is bigger, the heal goes further if you pop it, and the area that your teammates can stand in and be protected from ranged attacks is larger, all if you rolled the largest Norn in the game as opposed to the smallest Asura.

It does make a difference—a huge difference.

in Guardian

Posted by: CQReborn.9827

CQReborn.9827

If we’re going to change this, we’re gonna have to also change the fact that asuran thieves and caster classes have an insanely higher advantage than their norn or charr counterparts in that they are much harder to hit and follow closely when aoes are blasting and they are running around under other people’s feet.

Try chasing an Asuran caster, and then a Norn caster, see which one is x10 easier to catch and kill.

So yeah, it goes both ways and that is no good.

in Guardian

Posted by: Knuckledust.5621

Knuckledust.5621

Then increase hit box for the Asura race as well, because Norns are in a clearly disadvantage for being aimed much easier.

in Guardian

Ynna.8769

The hitbox for each race is the same.

“Come on, hit me!”

in Guardian

SuperLuigi.3720

True, the smaller stature a character has, the easier it is to lose them in a crowd.

However, is this an issue in sPvP, which is the only place where everything else is even?

Even if it is, I’m not sure making size affect things like bubble would be the right way to reward larger characters. Although I wouldn’t necessarily be against it, given that size has affected me negatively in more than one jumping puzzle. =/

in Guardian

Posted by: Trismegistos.3046

Trismegistos.3046

this needs to be fixed.
cause it doesnt just affect the guardian, guardian spells usually affect allies too.
can we have a dev response on this plz?

in Guardian

Posted by: Dynama.1295

Dynama.1295

I hate to burst your bubble.(Haha, see what I did there?) But I just did some extensive testing on this with all the races on the golems seen in youtube video above. There is no difference in the skill except the visual component. The knockback radius is the same, it seems like it isn’t because the tooltip doesn’t say it can only knockback 5 targets at a time, like every other AoE in the game. There is no game breaking difference between the characters.. only difference is the visual. Hope this helped.

~Dynama

in Guardian

Posted by: Nyota.7062

Nyota.7062

So, the effect radius is the same and only the visuals differ, you say? Well, this must mean that

a) you get knocked back before you enter the small bubble
or
b) you can enter the perimeter of the big buble without getting knocked back.

Either your extensive testing was flawed or the situation is even more awkward, than with the bubbles having different effect radii.

Bubble/any AoEs should get the same treatment as the hitboxes and get normalized across the board. Anything else is bullkitten.

Dolyak Engineer/Thief – Kodash (EU)

in Guardian

Posted by: Trismegistos.3046

Trismegistos.3046

I hate to burst your bubble.(Haha, see what I did there?) But I just did some extensive testing on this with all the races on the golems seen in youtube video above. There is no difference in the skill except the visual component. The knockback radius is the same, it seems like it isn’t because the tooltip doesn’t say it can only knockback 5 targets at a time, like every other AoE in the game. There is no game breaking difference between the characters.. only difference is the visual. Hope this helped.

~Dynama

even so, it gives ppl false information.
if someone wants to enter guardian zones or avoid them, he get’s tricked by the game.
not cool

in Guardian

Posted by: Size.2765

Size.2765

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH..

I lol’ed….

in Guardian

Posted by: Xethos.3179

Xethos.3179

Yes I highly agree this should be VISUALLY LARGER since other players need this information to combo with them. Your friend would not know whether he entered the field yet or not. It’s a glaring issue when it comes to teamwork

in Guardian

Posted by: valdamus.6289

valdamus.6289

I play asuran guardian and sure enough when i cast sanctuary I pay attention to players boons and they HAVE to visually get inside my bubble to get regen and one of my hotw runs a gigantic norm guardian casted sanctuary and it covered the entire screen and sure enough the second i got in i got regen. also the hit box does not work for heightkitten only an invisible AOE that centers on your toon. another expample is our attacks with a GS. because my gs is smaller i have to get closer to the mobs to hit them with my attacks. Very easy to test by creating an asuran class with GS and then a norm/charr and go to the mists and auto attack. Find a mob and use a branch/tree/rock as distance guide and auto attack. you will then feel much anger if you are a lvl 80 asuran guardian like my self who’s already farmed 5/5 karma gear(pwr/tough/vital)<—-none craftable and 180 hotw tokens for helm.

give me a cash shop option to chance races and problem fixed.

in Guardian

Posted by: MattVid.7905

MattVid.7905

People whining about this are being silly. They whine and cry like it is a huge deal. While Asura in general have a huge advantage in most parts of the game. Not just PvP, but PvE as well (jumping puzzles especially).

Even if it is just graphical, the larger races have many more issues than the smaller ones. And there is one bug in a crappy skill that sucks for the most part, and the Asura’s are up in arms about it. I am sure it will be fixed sooner or later.

Vidrak Ironwill – Norn Guardian
Omniscient of Jade Quarry

in Guardian

Pykus.4102

Thanks for those of you who provided some feedback. For those of us who play Guardians as a group player, this is a big deal. I mostly wanted to get this on the radar for Anet so they can fix it. I doubt it was intentional.

in Guardian

Posted by: EpicFace.8096

EpicFace.8096

Since im not gonna be Asura guardian i dun care /selfish
/selfless mode
Well i think that they really should fix that, because it’s not fair for all of those asuran guardians. It really isnt fair and should be fixed. Even the visual thing should be fixed. There are a lot of asura guardians ._.’’

in Guardian

Posted by: Kog.6710

Kog.6710

what about sizes of the same race? My human is the smallest possible and Id hate if it had a smaller area for me

in Guardian

Posted by: Nismoz.4836

Nismoz.4836

Apparently, there is a huge disadvantage to larger character regarding the Whirling Wrath damage. The projectiles fly everywhere instead of hitting the target if character is large. And its not small damage I am talking about. My Norn Guardian is doing only 60-70% of damage compared to Human.

in Guardian

Posted by: akamon.2769

akamon.2769

hmmm .. i’ve always wondered this actually.
well, is gw2 trying to be realistic? do we want to be realistic? someone mentioned Anet’s intentions as well for the game and different races. i kind of like that these things are affected by size. if you are on a real battlefield, the taller, bigger you are.. you WOULD get more targeted easily. but to make up for that, your bubbles are that much larger.

if you’re tiny, like Asura, as cool as it would be to wield a giant sword 3 times your own height… it makes sense they’re gear is scaled to size as well (Gimli in LOTR anyone? when he tries on the chainmail lol). and use it to your advantage!

is it true that asurans (?) get targeted less or are harder to hit? when fighting some Risen recently (Risen. Risen, everywhere). i saw a few players hacking at nothing, until i walked up close and saw a little risen brute. so maybe you can use that to your advantage and sneak around? lol (yes yes i know green / red letterings.. but still)

i play both Norn (guard) and Asuran (ranger) so maybe you can’t compare apples to apples. but i don’t mind if it stays the way as is. i have a hard time jumping (no puzzle syet but for certain vistas) and my wife laughs that my character is too fat. lol. he’s just hunky i say. she tried jumping with mine (in doubt of my skill lolol) and did say she noticed it was a lot harder than her thief (smallest norn stature)

so there are pros and cons. as in real life, if we want this game to be so. i think it adds to the liveliness of the game and can appreciate it.. the question is.. is it game breaking? said hit boxes, etc…

Akaimon | Jolly Good Guardian
Akaigi | Warrior Made of Wood
[CDS] – Sanctum of Rall

in Guardian

Pykus.4102

At least for SoA, it does appear that the knockback radius is the same. I haven’t leveled my Norn enough yet to test the absorption. However, it is very misleading for other group members who think they are in my healing bubble but really are not. I have not tested other abilities yet, but I think I will just level the Norn to 80 and play it.

in Guardian

Posted by: Xilo.9567

Xilo.9567

This issue came up in the beta forums. A Dev responded that it is the exact same effect for all sizes.