So, who's going to switch to Revenant?

in Guardian

Posted by: Michaeas Magister.1589

Michaeas Magister.1589

Greetings all,

Just wondering who all was thinking about trading in their Guardian character for a Revenant when the expansion releases?

I was VERY hesitant to join the bandwagon (not fond of bandwagons) but after playing around with the Herald spec this past Beta weekend I think I might just be sold. The Herald offers the support and has the shield skills that Guardian should have had a LONG time ago. I can still do some things on Guardian that I cannot on Revenant, even with the Herald spec traited (which is good). However it is clear to me just from the limited time I have had to play that the Revenant has gotten the attention, trait synergies, and skills that a lot of Guardian players have asked for since release but never got because we were always “in a good place.”

PLUS fighting with staves!! YES!! Been waiting to do this in an MMORPG since my days of olde playing a Friar in Dark Age of Camelot. Oh yeah!!

I am going to wait to see how everything shapes up over the weeks until release of Heart of Thorns but at this stage I am about 90% sure that come October I will be deleting my three year old Guardian to make a Revenant.

Anyone else feeling the same way? Just curious.

Thanks.

It’s as I have always said,
“You can get more results with a kind word and a big stick,
than you can with merely a kind word.”

in Guardian

Posted by: Black Box.9312

Black Box.9312

A lot of Guardian players are swapping over; myself included. We’re not too thrilled with the whole idea of getting the Dragonhunter in lieu of something useful.

in Guardian

Posted by: Vizardlorde.8243

Vizardlorde.8243

Call me when Revenants get Greatsword, in the meantime I’ll be playing my subpar Reaper.

in Guardian

Posted by: Jephiroth.3197

Jephiroth.3197

Originally I was all about Valor/DragonHunter/Virtues on my Guardian.

After the first beta and trying Revenant, I was certain i was staying Guard and possibly not taking DH at all.

After Beta2, though, Shiro/Glint Crit build with Hammer/SwSw was an absolute blast. I’m about 90% certain I’m going Revenant with HoT. I won’t be deleting either of my 2 80 Guardians, but I will be making a new Rev since I got 2 slots for pre-purchasing. No way I’d give up the +1 birthday rewards since they change each year.

The only wildcard is Druid. IF it could possibly be as cool as it could be. I may dabble there a bit.

Traumahawk: WvW Shout/Seed Sinister Druid
Ashen Mistwalker: WvW Tank/Crit Revenant
Oaken Earthlore: WvW Medi/Bunker Guardian

in Guardian

Posted by: Ghotistyx.6942

Ghotistyx.6942

If Revenant feels better to you then by all means switch. There are people from every class that will have the desire to switch mains, it’s only natural when a new class is added. It’ll mesh with certain people best, and aunt mesh with others at all. Don’t let the bandwagon get in the way of maximum fun.

Fishsticks

in Guardian

Posted by: Misguided.5139

Misguided.5139

At this point, yes. It isn’t because Revenant is better, it simply suits the way I like to play, ergo I find it a ton of fun.

There will be a massive number initial, but a bunch of people will end up dabbling with it then moving on, like any new shiny thing. I’m fairly certain I will be there for the long haul, though.

in Guardian

Posted by: Asmodal.6489

Asmodal.6489

Although I am a strong defender of DH and want it to work out Revenant is tempting.

in Guardian

Posted by: Noctis.3426

Noctis.3426

Dh sucks, deal with it, to be honest what bothers me is that the DH have an awful lot of potential, when they announced the dh i was so hyped. but after the first bwe and second, the dh was “Mehh” and Karl is MIA

Pd: Sorry for my English

(edited by Noctis.3426)

in Guardian

Posted by: Thaddeus.4891

Thaddeus.4891

I won’t be using DH that’s for sure and my Guardian will still be the same. But I’ll definitely build a Revenant. I think that people over hype the reveant. It will be good because of Shiro/Herald (the rest isn’t that good tbh), but it won’t replace a guardian, it will complement it.

Guardian will be superior in dungeon (Guardian is better for burst fight), while both will have their use in Raids.

Thaddeauz [xQCx]- QC GUILD

in Guardian

Posted by: Vikkela.7261

Vikkela.7261

I can play with a shiny handsome Guardian OR an overrated smelly walking corpse, of course I’ll continue playing my Guardian(s). I’ll force boons down my allies throats even if they wouldn’t want them

9 Guardians later…

in Guardian

Posted by: CandyHearts.6025

CandyHearts.6025

I wouldn’t say switching. . . But I will continue to stay as Guardian and not DH where my Rev will definitely be a herald. I enjoyed the shield skills a lot!

in Guardian

Posted by: quaniesan.8497

quaniesan.8497

DH is like a filler, i.e. “well, we gave you something” . Definitely will try Rev, and depends on how it goes, all the legendary will go to him.

If ya no longer see me after this post,
it means THEY got me for " neg criticism in clever disguise".
Know that it has been fun and I love ya all.

in Guardian

Posted by: Booxos.8715

Booxos.8715

If Herald will be in meta on wvwvw i will switch as i am an Old support Player and i will always be.

in Guardian

Posted by: Aeolus.3615

Aeolus.3615

Since i am not get HoT i will change eventually to condi engie >:)

1st April joke, when gw2 receives a “balance” update.

in Guardian

Posted by: Webba.3071

Webba.3071

Given that Ive always wanted a Sword and Shield character, and guardian has failed to provide a viable way to do that for 3 years now (now even sword is borderline), probably me.

in Guardian

Posted by: Yashuoa.9527

Yashuoa.9527

Why would you delete your Huardian, that you have so many hours on?
Isnt it a bit rash and a waste to delite your Guardian?

You can just make a Revenant and let your Guardian still exist too.
You never know what changes might come or maybe you yourself will change or look at guardian differently after a while.

in Guardian

Webba.3071

I dont think anyone here is talking about deleting anything.

in Guardian

Yashuoa.9527

The opening poster is.

(edited by Yashuoa.9527)

in Guardian

Yashuoa.9527

Greetings all,

Just wondering who all was thinking about trading in their Guardian character for a Revenant when the expansion releases?

I was VERY hesitant to join the bandwagon (not fond of bandwagons) but after playing around with the Herald spec this past Beta weekend I think I might just be sold. The Herald offers the support and has the shield skills that Guardian should have had a LONG time ago. I can still do some things on Guardian that I cannot on Revenant, even with the Herald spec traited (which is good). However it is clear to me just from the limited time I have had to play that the Revenant has gotten the attention, trait synergies, and skills that a lot of Guardian players have asked for since release but never got because we were always “in a good place.”

PLUS fighting with staves!! YES!! Been waiting to do this in an MMORPG since my days of olde playing a Friar in Dark Age of Camelot. Oh yeah!!

I am going to wait to see how everything shapes up over the weeks until release of Heart of Thorns but at this stage I am about 90% sure that come October I will be deleting my three year old Guardian to make a Revenant.

Anyone else feeling the same way? Just curious.

Thanks.

The opening poster is.

As you can read, its in the paragraph above the smiley face.
Thats why I wrote my reply.

in Guardian

Webba.3071

So he is. Well, that would be very stupid. But I dont think the rest of us are considering something like that.

in Guardian

Michaeas Magister.1589

Why would you delete your Huardian, that you have so many hours on?
Isnt it a bit rash and a waste to delite your Guardian?

You can just make a Revenant and let your Guardian still exist too.
You never know what changes might come or maybe you yourself will change or look at guardian differently after a while.

Well, I only ever play one character in any MMORPG that I play. I really don’t do alts. I usually delete any original character if I change professions so I can use the name as that is what all my friends, etc. know me by. I will also be stripping down the original character so I can get all the permanent picks, axes, and other equipment off of him for the new character so he will basically be naked and with no bags.

I had not thought about the birthday gifts though. Might be a reason to keep the original character. I would have to come up with another name, but it is something to think about. As for the changes, I don’t think that ArenaNet are ever really going to change the Guardian all that much. Their response of Guardians being “in a good place” for the past three years indicate to me that the profession is right where they want it to be. I could be wrong on that though. Never know.

Things to think about. Thanks.

in Guardian

Posted by: Raxlan.7286

Raxlan.7286

I think I may be the only person on these forums that is rather excited for Dragon Hunter…

With all of the changes coming (and probably more to come) I remain optimistic that by the time HoT is out it’ll be a rather cool Spec.

Plus it fits my Sylvari Guardian’s head canon

(won’t stop me from building a Norn Rev though…)

in Guardian

Posted by: teheria.1290

teheria.1290

I’ll make a rev for sure, but I will be playing my Guardian the most still. Won’t be going DH though.

in Guardian

Posted by: Nike.2631

Nike.2631

Still happy with Guardian… but I would steal the Revenant’s shield skills in a heartbeat .

“You keep saying ‘its unfair.’
I wonder what your basis for comparison is…”
- Jareth, King of Goblins.

in Guardian

Posted by: phokus.8934

phokus.8934

I absolutely enjoy the base Guardian and was hoping the new elite would offer something different and useful.

After the first BWE, I was extremely let down and haven’t picked up my Guardian since. It’s a shame really. I’ll be making a Revenant to have and see if I like it or not.

I post from a phone so please excuse any references to ducks or any other auto corrections.

in Guardian

Posted by: Fashion Mage.3712

Fashion Mage.3712

I don’t care much for most of the Revenant, but Ventari interests me enough that I’ll likely be playing both a guardian and a revenant.

in Guardian

Posted by: ArchonWing.9480

ArchonWing.9480

I am not, as long as the elite spec remains optional. I do not need to switch classes since I can just hit character select and play another one.

Just reroll already, geez. Seriously the profession forums have so many of these posts threatening to change classes or quit or whatever but then I see the same people many months later and then I wonder why they continue to play something they don’t like and haven’t rerolled.

My first profession was a necro, and I didn’t like that at all. I sometimes complain about the matters as I play it once in a while, but in the meantime I rolled a guardian and also tried out every other class. Gw2 would be a pretty sad experience if I just stuck on my necro.

Build a bridge and get over it. And just do it.

Oh, btw DH sucks.

For once you have tasted flight you will walk the earth with your eyes turned skywards,
for there you have been and there you will long to return.

(edited by ArchonWing.9480)

in Guardian

Michaeas Magister.1589

I am not, as long as the elite spec remains optional. I do not need to switch classes since I can just hit character select and play another one.

Just reroll already, geez. Seriously the profession forums have so many of these posts threatening to change classes or quit or whatever but then I see the same people many months later and then I wonder why they continue to play something they don’t like and haven’t rerolled.

My first profession was a necro, and I didn’t like that at all. I sometimes complain about the matters as I play it once in a while, but in the meantime I rolled a guardian and also tried out every other class. Gw2 would be a pretty sad experience if I just stuck on my necro.

Oh, btw DH sucks.

Actually this post was in response to many of the ones I had read about how “everyone would re-roll to Revenant” once it came out due to how it was so much more awesome and well developed compared to the other professions.

I myself was not tempted until I saw and played the Elite spec (and shield) for the Revenant. I have always liked the Guardian and came to a decision to play one after trying out the other professions both in Beta and after release. It was actually somewhat of a change for me as I played an Elementalist in GW1 and usually play a “Mage” character of some sort in an MMORPG. My one exception probably being the Friar I played and loved in Dark Age of Camelot.

I actually do not find it “sad” to only play one character and have played MMORPGs this way all my life since way back when they were actually MUDs.

I was never really “threatening” anyone with intent I was just really impressed with the Revenant’s Elite spec and not so much with the Guardian’s, especially with the changes to the Virtues. And I was curious if any other Guardian players were as impressed as I was. I also thought it might be good to see if anyone knew anything I did not and could offer compelling reasons why I should re-think what I was considering, which they have.

Just glad a lot of people offered opinions and didn’t just try to condescend to me as your post has. And my apologies if my curiosity somehow offended or threatened you. I know asking questions can have that affect on some people.

Thanks.

in Guardian

Posted by: ArchonWing.9480

ArchonWing.9480

Oh, btw DH sucks.

Actually this post was in response to many of the ones I had read about how “everyone would re-roll to Revenant” once it came out due to how it was so much more awesome and well developed compared to the other professions.

I myself was not tempted until I saw and played the Elite spec (and shield) for the Revenant. I have always liked the Guardian and came to a decision to play one after trying out the other professions both in Beta and after release. It was actually somewhat of a change for me as I played an Elementalist in GW1 and usually play a “Mage” character of some sort in an MMORPG. My one exception probably being the Friar I played and loved in Dark Age of Camelot.

I actually do not find it “sad” to only play one character and have played MMORPGs this way all my life since way back when they were actually MUDs.

I was never really “threatening” anyone with intent I was just really impressed with the Revenant’s Elite spec and not so much with the Guardian’s, especially with the changes to the Virtues. And I was curious if any other Guardian players were as impressed as I was. I also thought it might be good to see if anyone knew anything I did not and could offer compelling reasons why I should re-think what I was considering, which they have.

Just glad a lot of people offered opinions and didn’t just try to condescend to me as your post has. And my apologies if my curiosity somehow offended or threatened you. I know asking questions can have that affect on some people.

Thanks.

Nah, nothing threatening or offensive, just a bit tiresome because I just think it’s not particularly productive for such a broad topic. When you’re going for such vague concepts such as “support”, it’s hard for anyone to really understand what you’d really want, and honestly, that kind of feedback is hardly useful.

But you know, the changes to the virtues as you bring up are pretty good points in your last post in contrast.

After all, whatever people play as no effect on me as I play all classes and thus find I find all these things about which is Anet’s chosen class to be a bit repetitive as I’ve seen this everywhere. Simply put, I was probably much more unhappy about the game when I only played 1-2 classes, because I felt that this lack of attention was deliberate on Anet’s part. But I don’t know— perhaps it’s a bit more cliche to claim the grass is always greener because there’s some cases where it isn’t. On the other hand, I feel pretty immune to whatever nonsense Anet pulls off in my situation, and it happens a lot. To be honest, it’s a problem with the game itself.

I just think it’d be more productive to just switch over when it comes out, and then discuss why it was a good idea such as “why I switched over” over in the Revenant forum so Anet can see what works… and what doesn’t.

Anyhow, I’m sorry that you found my post condescending, but yes, that is just my opinion on the matter that this kind of discussion is the result of an artificial limitation. Simply put, the act of playing another class isn’t really a big issue and I can’t really agree with irreversible decisions such as deleting characters especially when putting hopes in an alternative that hasn’t been finalized yet. Personally, I think if people made good on these kinds of resolutions more swiftly, then we might see more response— well, maybe not.

For once you have tasted flight you will walk the earth with your eyes turned skywards,
for there you have been and there you will long to return.

(edited by ArchonWing.9480)