Spirit Weapons Under-powered/used

in Guardian

Posted by: Aedrion.6483

Aedrion.6483

Does anyone actually use these?

I personally love the play-style of being able to have a heap of spirit weapons fly around me and cause havoc but the actual use and power they have is so varied and gimmicky that I just never stick with it in the long run. I tried it out in PvP, WvW and PvE and sometimes it works nicely, but generally, it’s not worth the trade-off and I can do better with other builds.

I’ll try summarising my findings in 4 points:

- You need to sink a big load of trait points into these for them to be of any use. While that’s true for some other skills too, spirit weapons are generally completely useless unless you’ve upgraded them with all possible traits. Most skills such as shouts and certainly meditations become better with just a few traits. Spirit weapons need all these traits to be decent, that’s what I find the distinct difference. The most powerful aspect of the spirit weapons is their unique ability. Having them vanish when using it, is such a drawback that you simply must trait into them, otherwise they just hog your utility slot and do nothing but tickle people when used.

- Overal damage. They attack rather slowly and even traited, the damage they cause isn’t exactly high, even with the 50%. They can cause burning, which increases your damage by 10% if you’ve traited for it but really, in terms of flat out damage, they’re not very useful. A valid argument would be that you can have four up at once so the damage spike would be too big if they all had big damage. Still, there are utility combo’s already in the game that do exactly that. Meditations for example can spike my damage so high that I can use it to quickly kill somebody before they realise I teleported.

Overall, this isn’t so much of a problem. They do stick around a fair amount of time – again, if traited – so they eventually deal good damage if not destroyed. I just feel the 50% increase in damage should not be a trait.

- Varied utility. The sword and hammer generally work to smack down an enemy and deal AoE damage but the shield and the bow are designed to impair enemies and heal you and your allies. I understand that you need some of this and some of that for a build to work but it feels odd that you’d put so many points into Radiance and Zeal and invest in pure damage to then have two of your spirit weapons not be damage orientated at all. The variation is nice but you can’t really use the shield or the bow in other – more support orientated – builds because without traits, they’re more or less worthless and other healing skills simply out-do them, such as shouts.

- Cast time. Now this could be just me, but I feel this is the kind of thing there should be a trait for, to make the cast instant. I’ve seen them destroyed in combat quite often and when I summon a new one, I often take quite a bit of damage while casting. Moreso when I have to resummon multiple ones. It’s okay in bigger fights but in duals, you can bet the other guy isn’t going to waste his opportunity for big damage while you’re busy waving your hands. It’s not a biggy, and again, it could be just me but it feels like this would be a better thing to make a trait for than: Spirit Weapons deal 50% more damage, which they should probably do without that trait.

I’d really like to see more people make or use spirit weapon builds but I almost never see anyone use them. I’ve seen them once or twice in PvP but those are mostly gimmicky builds and I’ve never really seen them in WvW or PvE content. I wondered why that is but I think it’s simply because compared to other builds guardians can have, nobody feels spirit weapons is worth the investement.

This isn’t meant as QQ. I love the balance guardians currently have going for them overall and I’d like to commend the Anet team for making the classes so diverse and more or less equal in power. I’d just like to see this heavily underused line of utility skills brought to the forefront somehow and become something we see more often.

in Guardian

Posted by: foofad.5162

foofad.5162

This has been an issue basically since day one. It gets attention every couple of weeks on the forums, so you aren’t alone, but so far there has been no concerted effort from the developers on making anything happen to fix them.

While Shield does have some pretty decent utility in range-heavy fights in PvE, it never compares with Wall of Reflection. Hammer is irritating because it knocks enemies away from you. Bow is completely useless.

Sword on the other hand, as a straight damage ability, isn’t terrible. In my experience, you’re actually far better off not traiting for them at all. Instead, Sword works pretty well in any build that has a decent amount of AOE healing, such as Mace/Hammer Writ of the Merciful. In most dungeons you can keep it alive almost indefinitely with that alone. But it isn’t so good as to warrant wasting trait slots on it. Ultimately though it’s never worth sacrificing a required utility for, like Wall of Reflection or Purging Flames.

We’ve complained about it. A lot, in fact. I’m sure the developers are aware of it, I’m just not sure they’ve decided what to do yet.

Eilir Eirasdottir, Guardian, Tarnished Coast
Painbow.6059: Ignore what anyone else who doesn’t agree with me has said because its wrong.

in Guardian

Posted by: Cat Has Ducks.1982

Cat Has Ducks.1982

While Shield does have some pretty decent utility in range-heavy fights in PvE, it never compares with Wall of Reflection. Hammer is irritating because it knocks enemies away from you. Bow is completely useless.

It has its glimmers of awesomeness. Like giving you 30 seconds of not having to dodge versus alphard. And other place where reflects don’t matter as much as just blocking. Like in fractals.

Lord Chuck I – Guardian
Chuck The Stampede – Engineer
[Lg] Agatha – Dragonbrand

in Guardian

Posted by: cymerdown.4103

cymerdown.4103

I think they’re actually ok in PvP if you build it and play it right. Not like top tier viable maybe, but they’re better than most people think. Since they offer you so much extra damage, you can afford to go a little tanky and still do solid dps. Best in smaller encounters like 2v2 and 3v3.

Try this in sPvP sometime if you enjoy spirit weaps: http://tinyurl.com/kenguardsw01

Kensuda (Bunker Guardian)
Bunker Guardian Guide
Twitch Stream

(edited by cymerdown.4103)

in Guardian

Posted by: Anthony.7219

Anthony.7219

I think they’re actually ok in PvP if you build it and play it right. Not like top tier viable maybe, but they’re better than most people think. Since they offer you so much extra damage, you can afford to go a little tanky and still do solid dps. Best in smaller encounters like 2v2 and 3v3.

Try this in sPvP sometime if you enjoy spirit weaps: http://tinyurl.com/kenguardsw01

I actually found them extremely useful under water in that one spvp map. That is about the only time they weren’t a liability. Having the extra damage that automatically follows the enemy players and knocks them around is great under water when a lot of other skills aren’t as viable.

The biggest issue for me is that shield and bow don’t necessarily activate their abilities on or near you. Those things should be stuck within a distance of 100 from you. I know the shield flies off and causes weakness, but frankly i’d rather it cast shield skill #4 and be stuck hovering just behind you and to the right, the bow can sit behind and to the left.

in Guardian

Posted by: Aedrion.6483

Aedrion.6483

I’ve tried such builds and yes, they can work but when you look at the metagame or just in overall team utility, the spirit weapons clearly lag behind.
Also, note how many traits you invest in them just to make them viable. Shouts become wickedly useful with just two traits invested in them. Spirit weapons need 4

I’ve been playing a guard for a while now and even though I often take breaks for a few months I always come back and the spirit weapons are still the same. You’d think with all the balance patches, somebody would have tweaked them just a little, to see what happens.

in Guardian

Posted by: Kumu Honua.2751

Kumu Honua.2751

Yeah, basically all that’s been said so far.

They take too many traits, they attack too slowly, they die too easily, and they are limited in scope.

The shield is just about the only one that is used with any regularity in PvE, but they are all overshadowed by just about everything else.

Sylvari Guardian. – Dragonbrand.

in Guardian

Posted by: cymerdown.4103

cymerdown.4103

Yeah, maybe not exactly how I’ve got it, though (staff to buff them, might duration, tanky amulet).

It’s true, it is a lot of traits. It would be nice if the 50% longer duration was baseline, so you basically just needed 3 traits in Zeal to get full effectiveness, and you could combine it with Altruistic Healing, maybe. On the other hand, buffed weapons do hit like a truck. They can get kited a bit, just like any other AI build… the issues that AI has with ramps and other z axis obstacles can be frustrating. I’ve gotten to first page solo q while playing that build on and off, so take that for whatever it’s worth, I guess.

Kensuda (Bunker Guardian)
Bunker Guardian Guide
Twitch Stream

(edited by cymerdown.4103)

in Guardian

Posted by: Harbinger.8637

Harbinger.8637

Spirit weapons are quite funny in PvP. The hammer easily hits people for 4k. They are great in a 1v1, and smaller fights. Once the fights get larger then they start to show their weakness. A lot of fun to use, and somewhat viable.

This is the spirit weapon build I use, it’s somewhat similar to kens.

http://gw2skills.net/editor/?fUAQNArdWlUgSBHCSGEf4ES2DWCBTwqH7j8kPXFSIA-TsAA1CnIoSRljKDVSqsUN+Y9xECA

Guardian WvW Guide!
Heavens Rage