Staff and shield could use a change, very limited weapon options.

in Guardian

Posted by: Katulobotomia.7863

Katulobotomia.7863

I don’t know if I’m the only one, but the shield having only two abilities which both have a +30s cooldown makes having a shield a bit tricky. The 5 second protection and a few second projectile bubble effectively give you two situational abilities that can most of the time only be used once in a fight….after that the shield sits there useless on cooldown doing nothing.

The staff having practically no damage, one good buff (that immobilizes you for 4 seconds and you can’t do anything) and a ward that ALSO immobilizes you (why?) as you cast it, makes the staff not the best choice of weapon in PvP. We are left with the choice of hammer, GS and sword+torch. Three options that work relatively well, but with the very limited amount of weapons we can wield, it makes my Guardian feel very limited and that I don’t have many options in choosing my weapons. In comparison to thieves, warriors or elementalists the Guardian has a VERY small pool of weapons to use.

Anyone else feel like this?

(edited by Katulobotomia.7863)

in Guardian

Posted by: Tesq.1432

Tesq.1432

The shield will be a very good weapon if they only low the coldown od the skill, that atm are quite unseable, protection long 10 sec instead of 5, dont do damage and up a little more def just a 30% more for shield.

About the hammer well, is slow, too much slow i will never use the weapon unless for the ring but use a weapon for only 1 skill is a crap

Staff to have a crap damage based on fact that you have to be in melee for do aoe damage and is still low compared to 1h mace…………

Btw considerign that all classes have the same issue with some weapon the game is atm balanced but not complitly look thief damage for exemple………

in Guardian

Posted by: Skroo.1560

Skroo.1560

Staff in WvW is amazing. Your 5 wall is ridiculously useful and most people don’t even see it. Combine that with a reflection wall on a choke point and you’ve just locked the enemy into a narrow field of AoE and siege obliteration. Drop 5 in front of fleeing enemies and watch how many times they fall down before they try running around it. Toss up a reflection wall, drop 5 and then your GtAoE speed buff (3) to help you and your team regroup after a route (or get through the tower portal!).

The staff #4 is a good heal with a nice buff. And the autoattack, let’s be fair, isn’t “melee range,” it’s just short range. It’s damage is a little low but it hits everything. Heck, I use it in large PvE fights just to tag every mob. It’s a spammable cone with a short animation. What is not to like?

I admit soloing with staff is lackluster but it doesn’t seem to be designed as a solo weapon. I never solo with it but if I’m coming up on a group event I usually drop it in.

But yeah, shield seems lackluster. The 4 has too long a cooldown and 5 is … well, I’ve rarely had a situation where 5 was worth using, since it doesn’t block AoE or siege anymore.

Skroo [POV][ROLL] – Yak’s Bend

in Guardian

Posted by: PessimiStick.7520

PessimiStick.7520

Not being able to move during Staff 4 is my biggest gripe with the weapon. I’d love to actually use the heal + might in dungeons, but if I try to actually cast it I just get murderfaced by all the mobs that I was kiting.

in Guardian

Posted by: Shimond.2478

Shimond.2478

Not being able to move during Staff 4 is my biggest gripe with the weapon. I’d love to actually use the heal + might in dungeons, but if I try to actually cast it I just get murderfaced by all the mobs that I was kiting.

So drop the wall first? I haven’t ever had a problem getting off the #4 ability.

in Guardian

Posted by: Khenzy.9348

Khenzy.9348

I feel the same, I even made a huge post with similar concerns about the staff here.

in Guardian

Posted by: Rashy Eyes.6234

Rashy Eyes.6234

Are you speaking in PvE terms or PvP? Because the hammer and shield are rediculously good in PvP, to be honest i would never drop the shield for another offhand just because of the utility it brings.

As for the staff I wouldn’t use it anywhere but in pve or wvw, I will say this though channel 4 swap and use 2 on hammer in a fire field for 15 stacks of might is pretty amazing.

in Guardian

Posted by: Katulobotomia.7863

Katulobotomia.7863

Are you speaking in PvE terms or PvP? Because the hammer and shield are rediculously good in PvP, to be honest i would never drop the shield for another offhand just because of the utility it brings.

As for the staff I wouldn’t use it anywhere but in pve or wvw, I will say this though channel 4 swap and use 2 on hammer in a fire field for 15 stacks of might is pretty amazing.

Yea the might stack with hammer is great, but the inability to do anything while channeling usually puts me in a worse position afterwards in PvP than if I had not used it. I only use it as an opener if I can surprise someone…never in the middle of a fight.

As for the shield, I can see how it can be useful in mitigating 5 seconds of damage, but what do you do for the next 30-45 seconds when your entire weapon is on cooldown and 8 seconds to wait to swap back to hammer/Greatsword?