Staff seem underwhelming?

in Guardian

Posted by: Sauzo.6821

Sauzo.6821

Anyone else feel like staff on guard is underwhelming? I mean skill 3 is nice for running and skill 5 is good, and skill 4 is good before a fight but switching to apply it during a fight and being stuck in combat with crap dmg for 10 secs or so seems lame, but overall, it just seems staff is the least appealing of weapons for guard. I was thinking of making Bifrost for my guard since he’s already got Sunrise and Jugg so was looking at Bifrost to finish him off for legendaries. But i’m just not sure it’s worth the cost for staff. Anyone got any input? I have a ranger alt which I have also been kicking around the idea of making Dreamer shortbow for him instead……

BTW this is all based on PVE.

Crafted: Meteorlogicus, Incinerator, Juggernaut, Sunrise, Bifrost, The Dreamer, Kudzu
Am I legendary yet!?

(edited by Sauzo.6821)

in Guardian

Posted by: Stice.5204

Stice.5204

I suppose it depends on how you play your guardian. I can say that personally, as a defensive/support guardian who spends most of my playtime in WvW running with a group of about 5 to 10 allies, the staff is the weapon I would never drop.

Empower is a 10 to 20 percent damage increase for me and several others around me with a fairly short cooldown that also heals me for nearly 8000 thanks to Altruistic Healing. That alone pretty much makes the staff my favorite weapon

Line of Warding is spectacularly useful when holding chokepoints, creating breathing room for allies mid-fight, stopping enemies from escaping, running away from overwhelming enemy numbers and preventing enemies from getting into door portals.

Symbol of Swiftness, when used by the 2 to 3 guardians we normally have in the group, provides continuous swiftness uptime for everyone. It also contributes a bit of damage when our leader calls an AoE bomb at a designated location.

The autoattack hits a very broad area and is great for tagging enemies to make sure I get lots of loot when a big fight goes down.

Maybe it’s not nearly so desirable for other playstyles, but for me it’s the best weapon in the game. In fact, I practically made my guardian so I could use staff skills in support of my group because they are so powerful and useful for the small-group WvW playstyle.

Edit: Ah, I see you mean mainly PvE. The guardian staff skills are, in my opinion, extremely good for organized group play in WvW. I think it’s ok for certain weapons to be used only in certain playstyles, as long as everything is very strong within its own niche.

Guardian, Engineer
[SIC] Strident Iconoclast – BP

in Guardian

Posted by: Wukunlin.8461

Wukunlin.8461

imo it is barely ranged, and barely a weapon (like you said, crap damage). It really is only good for might stacks before a fight (assuming your party doesn’t use firefields). It is also good for encounters that has dps and non dps phases (eg snow fractals boss, simins, maybe ghosteater). I don’t really bother getting a good skin for my guardian because I really don’t see myself using it much aside from open world running.

Oceanic [LOD]

in Guardian

Posted by: Sannhet.8745

Sannhet.8745

Summary of OP:
“Does anyone else feel like staff is underwhelming? Skills 1-5 seem pretty good, but it’s crap.”

Anyway. Great for WvW and might stacking as needed, otherwise don’t bother. If you don’t WvW and you don’t like it anyway (I’m guessing from your post), don’t waste your time making a legendary of it.

in Guardian

Posted by: George Steel.1804

George Steel.1804

It absolutely is. What’s the staff’s biggest downfall? It’s #2 ability.

It is just horrible. Misses people regularly, awkward cooldown management (once it “expires” countdown begins, not to mention a hefty cooldown if you activate it).. half the time just disappears into thin air.

If staff had had a reworked orb of light that actually functioned as it should in a AAA title MMO, I think it would be in a good place.

Platinum – Guardian
Technical Strength – Engineer
Dungeon Master – FotM 46

in Guardian

Posted by: Sannhet.8745

Sannhet.8745

It is just horrible. Misses people regularly, awkward cooldown management (once it “expires” countdown begins, not to mention a hefty cooldown if you activate it).. half the time just disappears into thin air.

If staff had had a reworked orb of light that actually functioned as it should in a AAA title MMO, I think it would be in a good place.

Funny, I don’t have any problems at all using Orb of Light.

in Guardian

Posted by: George Steel.1804

George Steel.1804

Funny is that ANet thinks the Guardian’s scepter is a weapon worthy of this game too.. what a joke right?

Platinum – Guardian
Technical Strength – Engineer
Dungeon Master – FotM 46

in Guardian

Posted by: Zackie.8923

Zackie.8923

staff is king in wvw huge fights.

in organised huge fights, hammer is king

in Guardian

Posted by: naphack.9346

naphack.9346

I love the staff…
If the rest of the guardian’s skills wouldn’t be so awkward(well, guardian just isn’t my thing), I would probably spend some more time playing my guard just because of that awesome staff.

It is a wide area cleave, means in crowded spaces, you are almost guaranteed to hit 5 people. Couple that with a bunch of on crit traits, and even with a fairly low crit chance, you will get perm vigor(more vigor = more dodgerolls = even more heal) and spam area might all over the place just by auto attacking. Boons = healing for an altruistic healing setup. Already the auto attack will give you some steady baseline healing.

The orb is a bit awkward, but it’s a semi spammable 1200 range attack and another potent heal. The only problem is fights at point blank range with a selected target. It will go buttkitten crazy and shoot into the ground or up into the sky.
That, however, is a problem, most piercing skills have. There are some, which don’t(for example path of scars), but these come with their own problems, like being unable to hit elevated targets.

I don’t think, I need to mention, how important access to swiftness is on the class with the lowest out of combat mobility in the game. That’s, why the #3 is already reason enough to at least have a staff in your inventory all the time. In combat, it can be placed at 1200 range, serving as minor AoE damage, secondary retaliation source, swiftness source and source of proccing effects via crits. There are also some traits, which are of interest here, mainly altruistic healing and empowering might, aswell as all the symbol boosting traits, tho these are not very good unless you run hammer or something…

Let’s get to the real reason, you absolutely WANT a staff when running around with a group: Empower.
First off, it gives away 12 stacks of might without breaking a sweat. The heal at the end of the cast is just icing on the cake, but well worth it. In total, it can heal you for insane amounts, when combined with clerics or celestial gear and altruistic healing.

As for WvW zerg fights, there is line of warding. Another light field, which can be cast at 1200 range. Not as much fun as the necromancer’s wall of gtfo(which, in turn, can not stop people from escaping), but it’s still amazing at splitting up zergs.

What I love about staff is, that you absolutely can not die with a group around. Combined with altruistic healing and empowering might, every single skill except for #5 can be used to heal you for a nice chunk of health. It adds up. VoJ will trigger like mad, adding some extra bits and pieces of burning, you will keep giving out might to your team, while staying alive, so you can focus on doing some actual support without having to fear death. Staff enables you to stand in the thick of a fight(don’t say only wvw zerg fights… When invasions came around, I dug up my rusty, dusty guardian, because I needed something a bit more sustainable. Between solo play, 5-10 man groups and megazergs, I only died like once every 4 invasions(and that was mostly due to biting off way more than I could chew… Tried to solo tackle aetherblades) with the staff being the main source of healing, tagging and group utility.

The only crime, turrets committed, is being good against the celestial meta.
The mob has spoken and the turrets shall be burnt at the stake.

(edited by naphack.9346)

in Guardian

Posted by: akamon.2769

akamon.2769

staff is pretty amazing for WvW zergs. there are some guards out there that use them in small scale fights or even 1v1+’s, which i find pretty crazy. but apparently, it works for some. traited / geared right (ha), staff can hit pretty hard. even staff #2, given you can shoot it where you want it to go. and in PvP it’s pretty amazing too. for PvE? the only times i would use it would be for specific situations, map crossing, and tagging for big events (temple events?)

if you don’t use it all that much, i wouldn’t spend that much time on a legendary (plus, i’m personally not a big fan of the legend staff skin :PP lol. i think there are a lot better looking ones out there. of course, my opinion : )))

Akaimon | Jolly Good Guardian
Akaigi | Warrior Made of Wood
[CDS] – Sanctum of Rall

in Guardian

Posted by: Sauzo.6821

Sauzo.6821

Yeah, see I want to like it since I personally love the skin but for PvE, I don’t think I can justify it. I thought maybe make it and give it to an alt like ele or Mesmer but it seems those classes don’t really benefit huge from staff builds or maybe Anet would rework staff to be more PvE friendly but yeah I don’t that is happening anytime soon. Oh well.

Crafted: Meteorlogicus, Incinerator, Juggernaut, Sunrise, Bifrost, The Dreamer, Kudzu
Am I legendary yet!?

in Guardian

Posted by: Hratgard.8310

Hratgard.8310

All weapons have their uses . It really depends on what you like to do . If you WvW alot staff is your best mate . Every (at least almost ) build auto includes one . It desperate times of major lag (SM siege for example ) it is still reliable and works .

When it comes to PvE ( which i stop doing 6-7 months ago ) it certainly stays behind other weapons but i do like still .

Staff needs no changes it has a certain use and it is superb for it .

in Guardian

Posted by: Kwll.1468

Kwll.1468

Best yolo queue and WvWvW weapon imo. I don’t pve.

in Guardian

Posted by: styx.7294

styx.7294

staff is pretty amazing for WvW zergs. there are some guards out there that use them in small scale fights or even 1v1+’s, which i find pretty crazy. but apparently, it works for some. traited / geared right (ha), staff can hit pretty hard. even staff #2, given you can shoot it where you want it to go. and in PvP it’s pretty amazing too. for PvE? the only times i would use it would be for specific situations, map crossing, and tagging for big events (temple events?)

if you don’t use it all that much, i wouldn’t spend that much time on a legendary (plus, i’m personally not a big fan of the legend staff skin :PP lol. i think there are a lot better looking ones out there. of course, my opinion : )))

I wouldn’t use it in 1v1 but for above that it’s good for adding sustain to your group (2 heals), AoE’ing with the symbol (if you’re #1’ing someone that’s in the symbol you’re doin alright), the #2 damage isn’t bad, the #1 is fine against things that are kiting you (unlike other weapons you’re not missing much, if any attacks so it’s a constant pressure) or if someone popped stealth you can guarantee at least some hits on them, and the #5 has a million and one uses. Everyone also likes might stacks.

Gate of Madness

in Guardian

Posted by: Kasama.8941

Kasama.8941

The staff damage being crap is a bit of a bad rumour. Between the auto-attack and Orb of Light, the staff deals great AoE damage. Overall, the staff is great as a switched in weapon, that offers both offensive and defensive options from each skill. Even ‘Line of Warding’ can be used offensively, by preventing foes from running away.

80 Ranger | 80 Mesmer | 80 Thief | 80 Guardian | 40 Engineer
“The learned is happy, nature to explore. The fool is happy, that he knows no more.”
-Alexander Pope

in Guardian

Posted by: Tongku.5326

Tongku.5326

Anyone else feel like staff on guard is underwhelming? I mean skill 3 is nice for running and skill 5 is good, and skill 4 is good before a fight but switching to apply it during a fight and being stuck in combat with crap dmg for 10 secs or so seems lame, but overall, it just seems staff is the least appealing of weapons for guard. I was thinking of making Bifrost for my guard since he’s already got Sunrise and Jugg so was looking at Bifrost to finish him off for legendaries. But i’m just not sure it’s worth the cost for staff. Anyone got any input? I have a ranger alt which I have also been kicking around the idea of making Dreamer shortbow for him instead……

BTW this is all based on PVE.

Hi

Staff is boring but just too useful to get away from.

Staff 4 is really good and provides your team with a lot of power, can heal you and them depending on traits.

Staff 3 provides not just swiftness but also AOE heals (pending traits) and AOE condition cleansing (light field whirl combo), both of which are good.

Staff 2 is mediocre in all respects, this is the only skill I think needs a little buff on the staff.

Staff 5 is awesome.

Staff 1 may seem to be underpowered, but it really isnt. Consider that it has slightly longer range then point blank melee, and it is direct damage, and the number of targets you hit with it each time, the total DPS of it over a longer period of time is actually quite high. One more thing, if you use a %crit based sigil in it, even with a low crit rate it will go off often, as the crit proc is calculated per target hit, and you do hit a LOT of targets.

Heavy Deedz – COSA – SF

in Guardian

Posted by: Epistemic.8013

Epistemic.8013

Staff 2 does need some work. I think the projectile needs to be much faster, and maybe add a boon to the detonation.

in Guardian

Posted by: Nozdormu.4352

Nozdormu.4352

class with the lowest out of combat mobility in the game.

What are you on about? 100% swiftness uptime on a guard is easy to achieve, not to mention a 1200 range instant-cast teleport, 600 range teleport with short cooldown and a 600 range leap with short cooldown. If you want to get to placest fast, Guardian is one of the best options out there.

OT: Sure, staff has really low single-target DPS, but used on a group of mobs it’s probably one of the most hard-hitting weapons in game, not to mention the OP utility and sustain it provides. Basically, OP for WvW, not very good for most PvE situations. Consider Empowering, then switching to something else just before you get in combat.

Guildless
Charr Guardian
47k kills and counting

(edited by Nozdormu.4352)

in Guardian

Posted by: Aza.2105

Aza.2105

Orb of Light bugs for me 90% of the time. I’ve become accustomed to accept that it will always have a 15sec cd. Since in most cases if you don’t detonate it, it will get lost and be on perma detonate mode.

Amd Ryzen 1800x – Amd Fury X -64GB of ram
Windows 10

in Guardian

Posted by: Treize.2081

Treize.2081

I agree with the comment on the staff being useful at ragging multiple enemies. I’m leveling my guardian doing the ul goth run in harathi . extremely beneficial in making sure you get most of the experience during the waves of centaur invasion. No cool down short cast time and cone area – perfect!

Manila – lvl 20 Human Warrior (March 6, 2014)

“I’ve been thinking about the Charr. I think they can be domesticated.” ~Vekk

in Guardian

akamon.2769

wouldn’t mind if Staff 2 homed. or that you didn’t have to readjust your camera to fire it off in the direction you want it to go in. : )) i guess that’s more of a QoL adjustment…

[CDS] – Sanctum of Rall

in Guardian

Posted by: Brutaly.6257

Brutaly.6257

i personally hit for almost 2k (no might stacks) with skill 1 and over 4k with skill 2. In wvw.

Do i like the staff? No! Is it good? Yes!

What the staff actually miss imo is what the necro staff is, a viable ranged aoe option. I would love if all our symbols was moved to staff and the staff support was moved to our other weapons. But thats an opinion to make it more likable. Would it be more viable, i dont know.

in Guardian

akamon.2769

was running in WvW last night and it’s way too useful in a zerg. :// some smart staff 5 placements can really make or break any given encounter, though i personally prefer running with other sets myself as i feel they are more “sophisticated”. By any means though, staff has it’s place.

ahh, interesting idea, Brutaly. but but, please don’t take symbols away from my other weapons! : ((

[CDS] – Sanctum of Rall

in Guardian

Brutaly.6257

ahh, interesting idea, Brutaly. but but, please don’t take symbols away from my other weapons! : ((

I think you would appreciate orb of light on third step of the hammer chain, empower on mace and line of warding on gs even more. And just imagine stacking 4 symbols in wvw. After all red circles seem to be anets vision of the meta and it would allow us to join in on the meta.

It would allow for a very decent impact in sieging and would allow us to do more than spamming skill one on the door and using empower when off cd.

in Guardian

akamon.2769

dammit, Brutaly.
imagine slashing the ground with your GS for a line of Warding.
protector’s strike going off after 12 stacks of might?
i would miss the damage component and protection from the hammer. XDD

though, that would be a complete overhaul for the Guardian class as is haha. i enjoy the forward thinking.

but we digress.

[CDS] – Sanctum of Rall

in Guardian

Brutaly.6257

i would miss the damage component and protection from the hammer. XDD

No you wont since orb of lights damage component should naturally be moved as well. :-) Good times for melee with mace, hammer and gs!!!!

imo this wouldnt just improve the staff but all other weapons as well.

And suddenly kitten point investment in symboltraits seems worth it. There is a reason why they placed 4 marks on the necro staff, unafortunately they designed the guardian traits the same way but forgot to place the symbols on the staff.

in Guardian

Posted by: AndrewSX.3794

AndrewSX.3794

Use of staff:
-sweeping blossoms in TA
-zerg farming (PvE aswell WvW)
-if you have some nub at skipping mobs to help with swiftness + line

It’s very situational. Great in aforementioned few scenarios, bad/useless everywhere else.

Auto dmg is weak – good for tagging due to cone huge aoe, but that’s it.
Orb is slow, doesn’t deal much dmg aswell heal, and is a bit arkward to use.
Symbol give swiftness, and that’s it. Very low dmg and no other utility (unless traited).
Empower is okish – but might stacks have a very short duration.
Line is ok too but everything with either stability ot defiant will ignore it. And this is enough to nullify the skill, cause CC is the only thing it does.

Seafarer’s Rest EU – PvE/WvW – 8 × 80 chars.
Most used: Guard/Mes/War/Nec/Ele.
Yes, i use 5 chars at time. Because REASONS.

in Guardian

Posted by: Kilandros.2098

Kilandros.2098

For the most part I think Staff is a pretty excellent utility weapon. #1 is excellent for tagging trash/clearing with AoE. #3 is our most reliable speed boon. #4 is a buff + heal. #5 defensive wall.

1. is the odd man out, though, and really needs to be reworked. Detonating for the heal is notoriously unreliable, and using it for DPS is a DPS loss. I would like to see #2 scrapped completely (i hate everything about that projectile) and turn into something like an instant cast blind + heal or even another symbol (protection would be cool)