Stalwart Defender - what if

in Guardian

Posted by: Mikau.6920

Mikau.6920

What if they change from current “Gain 180 additional toughness while wielding a shield. Shield ability recharge is reduced by 20%.” to “Shield skills apply 5 seconds of Aegis on allies. Shield ability recharge is reduced by 20%.”, would this make shield finally viable?

Aside from this proposal, do you guys think they will change the shield skills to make it finally viable? Or will be gathering dust forever? This is the most iconic weapon, but ironically, is our weakest weapon, maybe in the whole game.

TD;DR: Make the shield viable already!

Sorry for my english.

in Guardian

Posted by: Xaylin.1860

Xaylin.1860

It will probably help Shield and have some very nice synergies. However, I don’t really like it. Solely due to the reason that this would mean baseline Shield remaining underwhelming and literally forcing you to get the weapon trait to make it work. It shouldn’t be that way.

in Guardian

Posted by: JoshuaRAWR.4653

JoshuaRAWR.4653

Would also make the shield go from pure garbage to too strong.

Shield just flat out needs a change, the only good skill on it is #5 in PvP and WvW to an extent if you’re camping on a ledge, but that’s it.. even taking that into consideration, there are far better alternatives.

It’s quite silly that the shield, a defensive weapon, is out classed defensively by a focus.

Warrior 80 | Guardian 80 | Ranger 80 | Engineer 80 |
Thief 80 | Elementalist 80 | Mesmer 80 | Necromancer 80 | Revenant TBA

in Guardian

Posted by: Black Box.9312

Black Box.9312

It will probably help Shield and have some very nice synergies. However, I don’t really like it. Solely due to the reason that this would mean baseline Shield remaining underwhelming and literally forcing you to get the weapon trait to make it work. It shouldn’t be that way.

Pretty much this. A more interesting shield trait would be cool, but shield needs to be worth taking WITHOUT having to trait for it. Once we have good base shield skills, then having the trait reworked could be a worthwhile endeavor.

in Guardian

Posted by: Gemenai.3807

Gemenai.3807

How about giving shields in addition with stalwart defender the ability to give you 6 sec protection (internal CD of 8 sec) for a 33% chance everytime you get hit.
So the shield could actually feel like a “shield”.
You could get a >theoretically< downtime of 0 sec by increasing your boon duration and it would still be just a chance on damage received.

In the german section i also mentioned ( in addition with stalwart defender of course)

giving the shild 4, a circle area of effect instead of a cone and granting protection to 10 instead of 5 targets ( + maybe 1 extra second of the boon).
Giving the shield 5, the ability to generate a 5 second symbol which grants random boons ( 1/second/tick)

But maybe with those addition to 4 and 5, some may argue that it would be over the top.

in Guardian

Posted by: Viralseed.9362

Viralseed.9362

Well, with the addition of a certain new condition, I’d rather see this:

• Gain additional Toughness while wielding a shield. (+180)
  • Shield ability recharge is reduced. (-20%)
  • Shield abilities Taunt enemies on hit.

This way, enemies hit by Shield of Judgment are forced to attack you (while giving yourself Protection in preparation for the attack). Shield of Absorption’s knockback effect not only pushes away nearby opponents, but inflicts Taunt as well forcing the opponent back into range. Paired with a Mace, this could be a very tanky combination.