State of Guardian?

State of Guardian?

in Guardian

Posted by: bertinrow.9286

bertinrow.9286

Friends keep telling me, “play what you want, play what you like.” For the most part, that’s true, but in this game, I want to a character who is effective in PvE as well as PvP and simply put, Warrior doesn’t seem to do that. I’ve been lvling a Necromancer and it’s been enjoyable but I miss the enjoyment I get from being a heavily armored melee class, swinging a huge sword around, granted I’ll get to do that with my Necro at 80, minus the plate. So I am very much interested in getting some input about the Guardian, I’ve never played one and it seems like my only other choice to get that specific feel I get when I play Warrior/Fighters in other games.

State of Guardian?

in Guardian

Posted by: Keksmuffin.1450

Keksmuffin.1450

In PvE it’s pretty good but not optimal. In raids and fractals they are useful thanks to blocks, reflects, cleanses, decent dps and perma protection and people like having them but in a 100% optimal comp you wouldn’t pick them.

In PvP it’s meh and pretty outclassed. It’s definetly not on the same level of uselessness as warrior but still not in a great spot.

Bullet Punch

(edited by Keksmuffin.1450)

State of Guardian?

in Guardian

Posted by: infinitenoah.8296

infinitenoah.8296

It’s a good class. You won’t regret investing your time into it.

I suggest going with the Medi Trapper build.

State of Guardian?

in Guardian

Posted by: Cecilia.5179

Cecilia.5179

Medi Trapper is pretty fun in WvW roaming. You’ll just have to wait to WvW to get fixed.

Necromancer Rights Advocate
Restart WvW: https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/game/wuv/Clean-The-Slate/first#post6208959
#CleanTheSlate

State of Guardian?

in Guardian

Posted by: Aeolus.3615

Aeolus.3615

Medi Trapper is pretty fun in WvW roaming. You’ll just have to wait to WvW to get fixed.

Reason DH works in WvW is due bad players not paying atention and bow on the space ship gameplay.

WvW get fixed?? XD 1 april has passed.

1st April joke, when gw2 receives a “balance” update.

State of Guardian?

in Guardian

Posted by: MaximillianVonSchatten.6278

MaximillianVonSchatten.6278

The low health pool is a major detriment with the power creep going on. I’m getting one shotted more and more often by more and more classes. And increasing health / armor just kills your dps potential to the point of being worthless.

The lack of a speed boost is another big problem; for roaming you HAVE to use traveler runes which really limits your options.

State of Guardian?

in Guardian

Posted by: Gilan.1307

Gilan.1307

This is depressing. But i really like Guard

State of Guardian?

in Guardian

Posted by: Saiyan.1704

Saiyan.1704

I can’t speak for PvE or WvW’s lack of speed but there’s nothing wrong with Guardian in tPvP. Sure, the classes you’ll have issues with (likely never beat on fair grounds) is Engi, Druid & Rev but I wouldn’t say we’re a “sub-optimal”. On the contrary, we’d be very OP if it wasn’t the certain hard counters in place (game shouldn’t be so but.. that’s another discussion)

You’ll do just fine in team fights with your bursts and stuns with trap & longbow, LB#5 & knockbacks. If you or some one else gets focused then you have your F3 for stability+blocks and F2 for additional aoe cleanses, heals, peeling off.

That’s not to say Guardian is as resilient like other classes. We simply don’t belong in certain team comps; rather, we would need that gap filler to beat a scrap/rev/druid and rotate appropriately. We do exceptionally well with an Ele healer (who doesn’t) and a Mesmer. Even a Thief can complement our bursts and cc’s to down any one target.

You may have tougher times in random SoloQ games so I highly recommend finding Ele/Mesmer friends to tag along with. Trust me, they probably wouldn’t mind

aka FalseLights
#5 best gerdien in wurld

(edited by Saiyan.1704)

State of Guardian?

in Guardian

Posted by: Adrenalin.5719

Adrenalin.5719

Guard is useless atm (unless you consider clearly unoptimal and easily avoidable builds (by playing other op classes) as not useless).

fanboy | A passionate fan of elements of geek culture, letting his passion override social graces
and common sense.

State of Guardian?

in Guardian

Posted by: Chase.2798

Chase.2798

Guard is still the best frontline in wvw, once you unlock dh, it is good against break bars in pve and while not being a meta class in pvp it can still hold its own with a decent build…overall i think guard is one of the more useful classes…obviously elementalist is #1 in usefulness tho

Big Papa Chase – Warrior and Guardian
Papa’s Lady Luck- Necro
(HELL)

State of Guardian?

in Guardian

Posted by: Sird.4536

Sird.4536

Guards are in a good spot. If you are in a guild or with a bunch of friends who only care about the very best setups etc then there is nothing wrong with a guard in fotm/raids/dungeons/WvW or pvp.

There are obviously things I would like on guard but that is for another thread. Guards are still useful.

RP enthusiast

State of Guardian?

in Guardian

Posted by: Indure.5410

Indure.5410

Guard is always the mid point in this game, never over-powered and rarely if ever under-powered. We’re at a fine point in this game. We bring solid DPS in raids, work average in fractals, compete fine in sPVP (outside of professional level tournaments), and are strong in WvW.

That being said, I would caution the OP that Guardians have changed quite a bit with the inclusion of the Dragon Hunter traitline and expect to use Longbow from ranged far more often than you are going to use Great Sword. You can still use hammer in raids, but it is the most boring weapon in the game to use by far.