Stickies

Stickies

in Guardian

Posted by: Gaile Gray

Gaile Gray

ArenaNet Communications Manager

Hey all,

A couple of highly-active Guardian Forum members mentioned that some of our stickies seem to be out of date. So I thought I’d ask you folks: Are there any stickies that we should UNsticky at this time? Or do any of the OPs of the stickies intend to update them?

Builds change things over time, and it would be good to limit our stickies to guides that are current right now, and not incomplete, out-dated, or inaccurate.

Please let us know — judging the content objectively — if you note a particular thread that should not longer be stickied. We’ll take a look at the collected input and make a decision in a couple of weeks.

Thanks.

Gaile Gray
Communications Manager
Guild & Fansite Relations; In-Game Events
ArenaNet

Stickies

in Guardian

Posted by: Harbinger.8637

Harbinger.8637

Personally, I’d be in favor of having my WvW guide removed. I’ve haven’t been keeping up with it as much as I should due to other obligations. There’s some outdated information, such as traits, that I haven’t got around to fixing. Guides need to be up to date and current in order to pass along adequate information and advice; at this time I don’t believe it accomplishes this.

Guardian WvW Guide!
Heavens Rage

Stickies

in Guardian

Posted by: Jerus.4350

Jerus.4350

Personally speaking, as much as I like those types of threads, the Fashion “post your screenshot” threads just don’t seem like sticky threads to me. But, I could see how some disagree, I just think stickies are best left for things that someone new coming here for help should check out before posting… that doesn’t fall into that category.

There is the FAQ which I think has a TON of great info, but it’s a little outdated in spots. No clue if Tarsius is still around, but for example it has a not on merciful intervention that’s incorrect as you now choose who you teleport it just has to be an ally nearby. I wouldn’t say I’d remove that but I would say maybe use your magical powers and add a “Some outdated” or something /shrug, or leave it alone, just felt worth noting as I was looking through.

The hammer one also seemed like it’d be worth taking off, but the OP of it says he plans on updating it once the expansion launches but doesn’t want to do all the work then have to do it all again, which I think is fair and worth leaving. AH Hammer builds are great for new players, a great place to start as you work your way to Obal’s builds.

The Post your Build one to me is like the Post your Screenshot, It’s cool, it’s nice to share, but it’s not the “Hey new players read this!” type thing that I believe stickies should be.

I do think we have a lot of stickies here, it’s kinda awesome, but when I look closely most are worthwhile and really all have a place at least as a starting point for people.

Stickies

in Guardian

Posted by: Talyn.3295

Talyn.3295

Personally speaking, as much as I like those types of threads, the Fashion “post your screenshot” threads just don’t seem like sticky threads to me. But, I could see how some disagree, I just think stickies are best left for things that someone new coming here for help should check out before posting… that doesn’t fall into that category.

There is the FAQ which I think has a TON of great info, but it’s a little outdated in spots. No clue if Tarsius is still around, but for example it has a not on merciful intervention that’s incorrect as you now choose who you teleport it just has to be an ally nearby. I wouldn’t say I’d remove that but I would say maybe use your magical powers and add a “Some outdated” or something /shrug, or leave it alone, just felt worth noting as I was looking through.

The hammer one also seemed like it’d be worth taking off, but the OP of it says he plans on updating it once the expansion launches but doesn’t want to do all the work then have to do it all again, which I think is fair and worth leaving. AH Hammer builds are great for new players, a great place to start as you work your way to Obal’s builds.

The Post your Build one to me is like the Post your Screenshot, It’s cool, it’s nice to share, but it’s not the “Hey new players read this!” type thing that I believe stickies should be.

I do think we have a lot of stickies here, it’s kinda awesome, but when I look closely most are worthwhile and really all have a place at least as a starting point for people.

I would agree with you. As long as the original poster intends to update them. Although with all the work that is going into those updates it might be better to remove the current ones, and re-sticky with a fresh thread when those guides are ready, as alot of the comments and things on those threads will be irrelevant, when the original information is updated. . Just my thoughts on it though.

And in regards to the post your build or post your Guardian pic, I don’t think there is really any danger of those threads sinking to far down on the list, they shouldn’t really be taking up spots in the sticky section. If they do sink though, its a good indication that they shouldn’t have been in the stickies really.

“We have now left Reason and Sanity Junction. Next stop, Looneyville.”

Stickies

in Guardian

Posted by: Manimarco Devil.1790

Manimarco Devil.1790

1. Submit Profession Bugs to the Game Bugs Forum
-Keep, important for directing players on where to report

2. Post Your Build Thread
-Remove, this may have been a fun idea at launch but dominant builds have emerged and exist in places like metabattle. Different,quirky, or new builds usually find their own thread and do not use this one

3. [Guide/PVE] Guardian 101 – A Beginner’s Text
-Unless the author intends to update the guide then it needs to be removed. My personal opinion is that it is almost TOO basic and gives information that players should be able to deduce on their own or use the official wiki to find.

4. [Guide] DPS Guardian for PVE
-Author seems to update it (last was 10 days ago). Seems ok

5.[FAQ] Guardian – Frequently Asked Questions
-Useful information but needs to be updated with newer content. Suggest someone reposts more recent information.

6.[Guide]30 pts in valor gameplay (Hammer)
-Remove, far too specific for a certain build. While finding hammer builds is nice, metabattle exists and guide is outdated.

7.Post a Screenshot of your Guardian
-Keep, doesn’t really matter either way.

8.[Guide] Guardian: Dungeons and Fractals
-Keep for now, seems to be recent/updated

9.[Guide]World Vs. World, The Guardian, and You
—Keep for now, seems to be recent/updated

Note: Although I am ok with keeping guides it may be better in the long run to simply not put ANY guide as a sticky. Any regularly updating author can bump his/her own guide when he/she updates it and this removes the annoyance of seeing dead guides as a sticky.

FAQ, screenshot of character, and bug forum threads should be main three that we need as stickies.

Battlelord Taeres

Stickies

in Guardian

Posted by: Fashion Mage.3712

Fashion Mage.3712

No clue if Tarsius is still around

Pretty sure he’s still around.

Stickies

in Guardian

Posted by: Saiyan.1704

Saiyan.1704

Honestly, I think every single out-dated Sticky should be removed regardless of comments on this thread.

Those who want a thread or Guide stickied, should update their thread then message Gaile so he can determine whether it should or shouldn’t be added above. Considering many of those threads besides the “Post a screen shot of your guardian” one, (it shouldn’t be removed imo) contain very, very, old posts that no longer pertains to the game.

aka FalseLights
#5 best gerdien in wurld

(edited by Saiyan.1704)

Stickies

in Guardian

Posted by: Tarsius.3170

Tarsius.3170

No clue if Tarsius is still around

Pretty sure he’s still around.

More or less

Although my time for play is very limited these days. I’ve been focussing on the bug-list recently, but I do plan an FAQ update soon.

@ Gail – is there a reason for unstickying the guardian issue list in this subforum?

Of all the threads it was probably the most up-to-date and is was useful for preventing constant reposts of the same problems guardians encounter over and over.

I’ve had a discussion with Josh about the merits of continuing it in the past, and he agreed it was a good idea, provided the bugs continue to find their way into the support section aswell after de-duping

Warhaft Tarsius – Asura Guardian ( Desolation ) – [NUKE]
Guardian FAQ · BUGS · HEALING

(edited by Tarsius.3170)

Stickies

in Guardian

Posted by: Talyn.3295

Talyn.3295

No reason for the List of Known Guardian bugs to be removed. It has more up to date information then alot of the other stickies.

“We have now left Reason and Sanity Junction. Next stop, Looneyville.”

Stickies

in Guardian

Posted by: Ghotistyx.6942

Ghotistyx.6942

…message Gaile so he…

Ah you done goofed. She’s gonna come back and give you what for.

But I agree. If the stickies haven’t been updated in the past week or two, they should be removed. If the “owner” comes back and updates, the thread will auto bump to the front page where it can attempt to regather a following. After those two steps (revision and following) it could probably be reinstated.

Not to knock Bash, but 30pts in Valor is woefully outdated, completely skipping the 6pt traitline timeframe. And this was after having to be renamed from AH Hammer something something. A completely new thread would probably be a better candidate for a sticky. Conversely, Obal keeps his thread constant up to date and the conversations generally seem to be current with the most recent changes.

The fashion thread could probably stay because it’s almost always relevant in time. The build thread doesn’t really have a solid and useful purpose, as most builds posted are threads of their own.

Every other sticky would fit into one of those examples.

Fishsticks

Stickies

in Guardian

Posted by: Brutaly.6257

Brutaly.6257

You can remove the guide i wrote.

Considering the state of the guardian and lack of build diversity for wvw and tpvp there is no need for build guides.

Unless something remarkable happens in HoT i wont update the guide.

Stickies

in Guardian

Posted by: phokus.8934

phokus.8934

Get rid of:

Post Your Build Thread
[Guide/PVE] Guardian 101 – A Beginner’s Text
[FAQ] Guardian – Frequently Asked Questions
[Guide]30 pts in valor gameplay (Hammer)

I post from a phone so please excuse any references to ducks or any other auto corrections.