Suggestion: Virtue of Determination

in Guardian

Posted by: Taril.8619

Taril.8619

Virtue of Determination
Virtue: Increases movement speed
Active: Grants Swiftness to nearby allies

Grants 15% movement speed (Same as the Speed Boosters you can get from Black Lion Chests)
Swiftness for 10 seconds
30 second cooldown

Reasoning – Tired of going so slowly all the time, yet realise having the 25% movement speed other classes can attain for free would be too strong (As they need to use a utility to gain that, except Mesmers whom don’t get a speed boost and Engineers whom with 10 points into Tools can achieve permanent swiftness)

“Pull the trigger, move out ahead,
There’s two kinds of people… The quick and the dead”

in Guardian

Posted by: Syktek.7912

Syktek.7912

This would be amazing, but the obvious response is “We gave you boons for that,” or something underwhelming per the usual.

I back this suggestion, as I always find myself outran by other players who aren’t Guardians after I blow my CC to keep them close. I cannot afford to have the 20s swiftness boon “Retreat!” as it sacrifices much more needed boons.

As a counter to this! Remove our “Retreat!” shout.

Vesper Dawnshield | Guardian

in Guardian

Posted by: Apraxas.3685

Apraxas.3685

I know we will prob never have something like this until maybe a full expansion is released, but id totally love this.

in Guardian

Posted by: Lonewolf Kai.3682

Lonewolf Kai.3682

I agree. I find I HAVE to use the staff to keep up.

“Be like water” – Bruce Lee

in Guardian

Posted by: Heinel.6548

Heinel.6548

I think it’s highly unlikely that they’d make any drastic changes to profession mechanics.

You’d probably have a better chance asking for a speed boosting trait instead.

“… but I hate the idea ‘It may not make sense at first’.
I want it to make sense right away, then another sense later. Murkiness =/= quality "
- CCP Abraxis

in Guardian

Posted by: Christos de Soufre.3802

Christos de Soufre.3802

It’d have to be balanced around the fact that everyone else has to actually have a certain skill equipped for their movement speed, but…this is an excellent idea.

Perhaps make the cooldown 45 seconds and nerf Retreat.

Chris “Dawnheart” Aerinoh — Revenant, Guardian — Blackgate

in Guardian

Posted by: Alarox.4590

Alarox.4590

I think it’s highly unlikely that they’d make any drastic changes to profession mechanics.

Their philosophy on balance is small changes over time, therefore they will probably never do anything like this, as you can’t make small gradual changes when it’s only 1 big addition/change…

That being said, I love the idea.

Alarox – Human Guardian
Rampage Wilson – Charr Engineer
Sea of Sorrows

in Guardian

Posted by: Barnabus Stinson.1409

Barnabus Stinson.1409

Yes Please! Yes there are boons for that, but a passive speed boast would be well received. Also it wouldn’t overly change combat. Obviously the swiftness could be seen as A too bigger increase for PVP. And I would think it would have a 60 second cool down, not 30. But other than that, Love this idea!

in Guardian

Posted by: George Steel.1804

George Steel.1804

WOW this sounds amazing tbh. Would love some additional passive movespeed to actually keep up with others (since everyone’s got that 25% MS now).

I would like to see this paired with some changes to Retreat! (Reduce swiftness boon time, decrease cooldown of the shout) .. I think it would be great.

Platinum – Guardian
Technical Strength – Engineer
Dungeon Master – FotM 46

in Guardian

Posted by: Silver.8023

Silver.8023

Not everyone has a passive speed boost as they have to actually equip the thing. While I like this idea, it is actually way more powerful than every other class’s passive speed boost because as a virtue, it wouldn’t take up a utility slot.

Silver Stormshield – Guardian
Kaimoon Blade – Warrior
Fort Aspenwood

in Guardian

Alarox.4590

Not everyone has a passive speed boost as they have to actually equip the thing. While I like this idea, it is actually way more powerful than every other class’s passive speed boost because as a virtue, it wouldn’t take up a utility slot.

Which is why the OP is suggesting a 15% increase rather than 25% or 33%.

Alarox – Human Guardian
Sea of Sorrows

in Guardian

Heinel.6548

Which is why the OP is suggesting a 15% increase rather than 25% or 33%.

But then professions with 15% speed boosts has to trait for it. There has to be some drawback. It doesn’t make sense to have a profession that can move faster without any investment or deliberation. It would put guardians into the fastest moving class in game, and the only class that moves quicker than standard (shared by everyone else) by default.

I want it to make sense right away, then another sense later. Murkiness =/= quality "
- CCP Abraxis

in Guardian

Posted by: Brutaly.6257

Brutaly.6257

The drawback is that if you activate it for the team then you loose the 15%. Excellent idea imo.

Add x sec fury or quickness to allies if you traited inspired virtue. We lack fury/quickness and this would be a great way to add one of those.

Anet should really read this one, well thought thru and “simple” and we should have had (feedback given during early beta) 4 virtues to begin with.

It would put guardians into the fastest moving class in game, and the only class that moves quicker than standard (shared by everyone else) by default.

Well we are the class that can share boons by default when it comes to the other virtues so why not a fourth virtue that adds swiftness. Atm we are forced to use staff in wvw (or the most useless shout of them all) just to move around in wvw. This pretty much makes a one hand, offenisve, build moot.

This change would open up for more builds and more setups that would be valid.

(edited by Brutaly.6257)

in Guardian

Posted by: Iavra.8510

Iavra.8510

Quickness is way too overpowered. Having a virtue granting it (not even blocking a utility slot) would need to come with a huge drawback.

I wouldn’t want any class to be faster than all the others without having to do anything for it, not even my own. That said, we could need some options to be actually faster without needing to go gs + sword for leap + teleport.

/edit: Regarding the sword teleport: I would like to be teleported a fixed 600 range forward when not having targeted anything. There’s not always a bunny/mosquito nearby…

(edited by Iavra.8510)

in Guardian

Posted by: Brutaly.6257

Brutaly.6257

sorry i changed that to swiftness but i seem to missed pressing the button, now the post is correct.

Quickness isnt OP, its the duration that makes it OP.

Quickness is way too overpowered. Having a virtue granting it (not even blocking a utility slot) would need to come with a huge drawback.

We all ready got that drawback, lousy ranged options. Anet clearly stated that we should be a “boon” proffession and as such we should by default have access to to most boons by default.

Regarding swiftness, just compare to our melee comrade, the warrior, we are talking about almost perma fury AND swiftness with 0 investment in traits. At least 100% uptime in any fight in open world combat in wvw.

I cant see that 10s swiftness with 30 sec cd, by default, is OP on the boonsoldier of the game.

As of now we are forced to use staff by default if we dont want to be gimp when it comes to mobility. Anyone that played extensively in wvw with 1h sword and scepter can verify that, even if we have retreat on the skill bar.

(edited by Brutaly.6257)

in Guardian

Posted by: Iavra.8510

Iavra.8510

A swiftness for active would be totally okay (for me), but i think the passive has to be worked on.

Here are some ideas:
- Let it only work in combat and proccing swiftness every 30 sec for 5 secs and be activated for 10 sec swiftness for my team (random numbers). Would fix the “always be faster” issue.
- Change the passive to +10% boon duration. We are the “boon class” after all. I would most likely never activate this virtue though…

But i would prefer to see an actual +25% movement signet. I wouldn’t miss Signet of Wrath’s current passive ^^ Would also fit the theme very nicely now that i think about it…passive speed boost to catch your opponent and the active immobilize to ensure he stays close to you.

(edited by Iavra.8510)

in Guardian

Posted by: monochrome.9841

monochrome.9841

Rly great ideas! I love it.

And if passive 15% to the Virtue is to much, let it prok speed buf for 5 sec like lavra said – and make it a 15% passive buff if u take some MASTER trait
Watch u all think about that?

“Professionals… are predictable; the world is full
of dangerous amateurs.” Murphy’s Law
Mr Mooo → Piken Square

in Guardian

Posted by: ComeAndSee.1356

ComeAndSee.1356

They should just make the staff symbol last as long as the cooldown. :/

Sha Nari – 80 Guardian (http://bit.ly/12RNvtK)
Lorella Windrunner – 80 Thief
Shayera Nightfall – 80 Mesmer

in Guardian

Posted by: Christos de Soufre.3802

Christos de Soufre.3802

Hmm.

Increased movement speed when Aegis is up.

Chris “Dawnheart” Aerinoh — Revenant, Guardian — Blackgate

in Guardian

Alarox.4590

Atm we are forced to use staff in wvw (or the most useless shout of them all) just to move around in wvw. This pretty much makes a one hand, offenisve, build moot.

Exactly.

Hmm.

I’d go 10 in Virtues for that.

Alarox – Human Guardian
Sea of Sorrows

in Guardian

Heinel.6548

Hmm.

I actually was thinking about increased movement speed when all virtues are down the other day. X)

- CCP Abraxis