Suggestions for Hammer and Staff

in Guardian

Posted by: Julius.5931

Julius.5931

Could we get Reflection on hammer #5 – Ring of Warding, and can we have Staff #2 – Detonate Orb Of Light cause a small knock back?

in Guardian

Posted by: miguelsil.6324

miguelsil.6324

Hammer auto faster on 3d hit. Hammer2: 600 leap hammer5: cast while moving. Thats it

in Guardian

Posted by: Psilence.2859

Psilence.2859

The main problem with Hammer is that almost all of it’s moves are too slow and clunky compared to similar options on other classes.

I agree that Hammer #5 doesn’t really need Reflection, it just needs to be castable while moving like they changed Staff #5 to be (and possibly buff it’s cooldown to 30s for PvP like they did with staff as well.)

Hammer #4 needs to have it’s cast speed changed to 1/2s to be in line with similar knockback options from other classes (Staggering Blow on Warrior, Point Blank Shot on Ranger, etc) since it’s currently hugely telegraphed and too slow to be a useful interrupt.

Hammer #3 isn’t completely useless after they buffed it’s projectile speed a while back, but it’s cast speed is still a tad too slow and should be changed to be the same as the very similar, but generally more useful Vine Surge on Druid (3/4s).

Hammer #2 is fine speedwise, but it’s leap is a bit too short (300) compared to most other similar skills (600 Vault, 600 Savage Leap, 1000 Rocket Charge, etc) and should probably be 600, but at the very least 450.

The hammer auto-attack would also be fine if it actually worked like the tooltip said (1/2s first hit, 1/2s 2nd hit, 1 1/4s 3rd hit) but it’s actually closer to 3/4s first hit, 3/4s 2nd hit, 2s 3rd hit… which is a bit too slow and clunky compared to similar chains on other classes. If even just the last hit were fixed to match the tooltip speed it would definitely be a much more viable alternative, especially given the faster paced combat since HoT.

in Guardian

Posted by: Ragnarox.9601

Ragnarox.9601

I would take hammer skill #2 600 range and hammer skill #5 castable while moving and i’ll be happy.

in Guardian

Posted by: Gatvin.6510

Gatvin.6510

I’m fine with hammer auto # 3 being slow. Feels pretty sweet. It’d be nice if it gave a really short stab or aegis when it started casting though. Just enough to get you through the swing.

in Guardian

Posted by: Julius.5931

Julius.5931

GS leap can be used as a disengage and create space for re-positioning. Given that hammer’s blast finisher has short range and can’t do the same I really feel Ring of Warding should have a reflect effect to really “ward” off attacks when used defensively.

As for the attack speed woes I think it’s a matter of timing. GS is the DPS 2 hander between the two.

On a side note I do like the wind-ups in hammer animations. It makes it look strong. :P

in Guardian

Posted by: skystorm.9280

skystorm.9280

The main problem with Hammer is that almost all of it’s moves are too slow and clunky compared to similar options on other classes.

I agree that Hammer #5 doesn’t really need Reflection, it just needs to be castable while moving like they changed Staff #5 to be (and possibly buff it’s cooldown to 30s for PvP like they did with staff as well.)

Hammer #4 needs to have it’s cast speed changed to 1/2s to be in line with similar knockback options from other classes (Staggering Blow on Warrior, Point Blank Shot on Ranger, etc) since it’s currently hugely telegraphed and too slow to be a useful interrupt.

Hammer #3 isn’t completely useless after they buffed it’s projectile speed a while back, but it’s cast speed is still a tad too slow and should be changed to be the same as the very similar, but generally more useful Vine Surge on Druid (3/4s).

Hammer #2 is fine speedwise, but it’s leap is a bit too short (300) compared to most other similar skills (600 Vault, 600 Savage Leap, 1000 Rocket Charge, etc) and should probably be 600, but at the very least 450.

The hammer auto-attack would also be fine if it actually worked like the tooltip said (1/2s first hit, 1/2s 2nd hit, 1 1/4s 3rd hit) but it’s actually closer to 3/4s first hit, 3/4s 2nd hit, 2s 3rd hit… which is a bit too slow and clunky compared to similar chains on other classes. If even just the last hit were fixed to match the tooltip speed it would definitely be a much more viable alternative, especially given the faster paced combat since HoT.

I am kind of okay with Hammer being “a little slower” than the rest of weps as long as it hits hard, and the leap well – have you tried jumping with a sledge hammer xD Either way yes at least 450 units!

in Guardian

Posted by: skystorm.9280

skystorm.9280

I am kind of okay with Hammer being “a little slower” than the rest of weps as long as it hits hard, and the leap well – have you tried jumping with a sledge hammer xD Either way yes at least 450 units!

in Guardian

Ragnarox.9601

Yea but it dont hit hard thats the problem. 450 range could be satisfying. Plus RoW casted while walking. Plus Banish more dmg.

but if they dont increase range of MB they could make new skill instead of zealot’s embrace -> Zealot aggression ( jump into target area and immobilize 5 enemies leaving symbol of energy dealing dmg)

Zealot’s aggression

Cooldown: 25 sec
Cast time: 1 sec
Damage: 700
Number of Targets: 5
Immobilize: 1.7s
Radius: 180
Range: 900
Symbol of energy
Damage: 2×400
Symbol duration: 2s
Vigor: 2s

But it could be op xD ( but who cares cause nobody using hammer except me these days)

(edited by Ragnarox.9601)

in Guardian

Posted by: miguelsil.6324

miguelsil.6324

Hammer doesnt hit that hard at all. Mace hits harder in all auto atacks. A f…. huge hammer does less damage than a tiny mace..

in Guardian

Posted by: aelska.4609

aelska.4609

Could we just stop asking for buffs when it is already spam wars ? Hammer#2 is perfectly useable, hammer#5 is perfectly useable, hammer#4 is powerful but get counters by this ridiculous amount of stab and breakstuns. People are just simply taking bow over hammer, since it does the same with additional effects, more range and lower cast time (banish ? => deflecting shot). But the hammer is not to blame in itself.

Staff has been made totally obsolete with the amount of heal/speed/might/cc received from everywhere, but once again it is not bad in itself, just outdated.

in Guardian

Posted by: Yannir.4132

Yannir.4132

I won a guild football match for our team because of Banish + JI so I am pretty happy with it currently. Was also playing goalkeeper with Ring of Warding + Dragon’s Maw, so I’m pretty happy with those too.

Yannir for males. (guard,thief,war,ele)
Sonya for females. (necro,rev,ranger,mes,engi)
All classes lvl 80.

in Guardian

Ragnarox.9601

wish we had these numbers on hammer 1 and 2 ;(

Attachments:

in Guardian

Posted by: Yannir.4132

Yannir.4132

That would hardly be fair as revenant hammer is a DPS weapon where guardian hammer is a DPS/Support hybrid weapon.

Yannir for males. (guard,thief,war,ele)
Sonya for females. (necro,rev,ranger,mes,engi)
All classes lvl 80.

in Guardian

Posted by: CptAurellian.9537

CptAurellian.9537

That almost sounds like the glorious threads about 100B-numbers back in the old days. Apples and oranges …

Warning! This post may contain traces of irony, sarcasm and peanuts.

There is no loyalty without betrayal. -Ann Smiley

in Guardian

Posted by: Ezrael.6859

Ezrael.6859

That would hardly be fair as revenant hammer is a DPS weapon where guardian hammer is a DPS/Support hybrid weapon.

How about for Longbow then?

Puncture Shot does half the damage Hammer Bolt does.

And Hammer Bolt hits 5 targets…

in Guardian

Posted by: Aeolus.3615

Aeolus.3615

Ezrael.6859, hammer is the aoe weapon for rev i guess….

1st April joke, when gw2 receives a “balance” update.

in Guardian

Posted by: Azoqu.8917

Azoqu.8917

It more has to do with Guardian actually being one of the only balanced classes in this game. As much as “Guardian is in a good spot” is a pretty good joke at times, there is a ton of truth in that statement. All skills Guardian has makes sense in a non-spamming game that GW2 used to be, and all are fairly useful as well.

The problem arises from the power creep that occurred and the ridiculousness that ensued. Hammer #3? Pre-Hot it was a balanced skill that had quite the reward for hitting it and, because stability wasn’t everywhere, it allowed someone the time to dodge it because that was pretty much the only defense against being hit by it. Now though it seems bad because there are other skills that seem pretty powerful in comparison to it. It is just the fact that hammer was forgotten about.

Though I am of the opinion that Anet is going through all of the Guardian weapons/skills and slowly updating them to HoT standards because Guardian is their “balanced around” class. It is easier to bring one class to a standard that you want and then slightly move everyone around it then to greatly move 8 classes to be around that one. We already had had the following reworks:
1) scepter/sword rework with the addition of symbols (though yes, the #3 skills on both could use a little love, especially sword #3)
2) mace got a huge update with the changes to #3 rewarding a block with aegis and protection and the auto cleaving
3) greatsword got a huge buff and is now apart of the DPS rotation like it deserves
4) shield has received so many buffs and is now usable in multiple situations.

The weapons still needing reworking are the following:
1) Hammer needs some TLC and will probably get some. I love the utility this weapon brings but in the fast pace of PvP it is a little to slow so it needs a bigger payoff.
2) Staff was a range support weapon but is so outclassed by using shield offhand with scepter (IMO), that there is almost no point to use it.
3) Focus has always been in a relatively good spot though a CD reduction wouldn’t go amiss to keep it in line with everything else nowadays. I don’t remember the last time I used this in PvE except as a fight opener.
4) Torch needs to stop being Stormtrooper role play and needs something added to #5. Self condi clear maybe? Or how about boon removal? Even 1/2s of burning per pulse would help. The cast time and usability of #5 makes it had to actually do anything useful with it (besides cleaving downed with Permeating Wrath, but that’s more PW scaling ridiculously than anything).

I have a feeling that on April 20th (patch after SAB and probably episode 5) another weapon will get an update.

in Guardian

Ragnarox.9601

It more has to do with Guardian actually being one of the only balanced classes in this game. As much as “Guardian is in a good spot” is a pretty good joke at times, there is a ton of truth in that statement. All skills Guardian has makes sense in a non-spamming game that GW2 used to be, and all are fairly useful as well.

The problem arises from the power creep that occurred and the ridiculousness that ensued. Hammer #3? Pre-Hot it was a balanced skill that had quite the reward for hitting it and, because stability wasn’t everywhere, it allowed someone the time to dodge it because that was pretty much the only defense against being hit by it. Now though it seems bad because there are other skills that seem pretty powerful in comparison to it. It is just the fact that hammer was forgotten about.

Though I am of the opinion that Anet is going through all of the Guardian weapons/skills and slowly updating them to HoT standards because Guardian is their “balanced around” class. It is easier to bring one class to a standard that you want and then slightly move everyone around it then to greatly move 8 classes to be around that one. We already had had the following reworks:
1) scepter/sword rework with the addition of symbols (though yes, the #3 skills on both could use a little love, especially sword #3)
2) mace got a huge update with the changes to #3 rewarding a block with aegis and protection and the auto cleaving
3) greatsword got a huge buff and is now apart of the DPS rotation like it deserves
4) shield has received so many buffs and is now usable in multiple situations.

The weapons still needing reworking are the following:
1) Hammer needs some TLC and will probably get some. I love the utility this weapon brings but in the fast pace of PvP it is a little to slow so it needs a bigger payoff.
2) Staff was a range support weapon but is so outclassed by using shield offhand with scepter (IMO), that there is almost no point to use it.
3) Focus has always been in a relatively good spot though a CD reduction wouldn’t go amiss to keep it in line with everything else nowadays. I don’t remember the last time I used this in PvE except as a fight opener.
4) Torch needs to stop being Stormtrooper role play and needs something added to #5. Self condi clear maybe? Or how about boon removal? Even 1/2s of burning per pulse would help. The cast time and usability of #5 makes it had to actually do anything useful with it (besides cleaving downed with Permeating Wrath, but that’s more PW scaling ridiculously than anything).

I have a feeling that on April 20th (patch after SAB and probably episode 5) another weapon will get an update.

Hammer #2 could use 450 range and 10% buff and hammer #5 castable while walking. Everything else is ok-ish. Maybe buff to Banish (hits 30% more if enemy has stability or maybe blind them).

And focus could use some buff, cd reduction and something useful.