Sword and Shield

Sword and Shield

in Guardian

Posted by: foxcat.4096

foxcat.4096

Is there anyway to work these two weapons together?

As far as i am concerned shield and sword is the coolest weapon combo but they don’t seem to have a whole lot of synergy ……..

Sword and Shield

in Guardian

Posted by: Asmodal.6489

Asmodal.6489

That really depends on what you want to do. i do not have that much time to play right now so I mostly goof around.

http://gw2skills.net/editor/?vVAQRAse7flsAhmhY5QwUIQQEHzDV9BuyAweBrwim/iU8FB-T1hAABUcSAqW9HA3f4alfSqEEgnAQ06HIFwdLrA-w

this build is quite fun.

general idea is to use sword as a condi weapon. Purging flames, port in, push away, port in or hit from distance. the added aegis provides defense and in zerg or group scenarios massiv amounts of aoe damage and thorugh that aoe burns application. its fairly easy to apply 4+ stacks of burn on multiple targets with shield #4 alone.

rune of the mad kings is super strong against piled enemies which happens in pve all the time.

Sword and Shield

in Guardian

Posted by: ZoroDaOtter.3859

ZoroDaOtter.3859

That really depends on what you want to do. i do not have that much time to play right now so I mostly goof around.

http://gw2skills.net/editor/?vVAQRAse7flsAhmhY5QwUIQQEHzDV9BuyAweBrwim/iU8FB-T1hAABUcSAqW9HA3f4alfSqEEgnAQ06HIFwdLrA-w

this build is quite fun.

general idea is to use sword as a condi weapon. Purging flames, port in, push away, port in or hit from distance. the added aegis provides defense and in zerg or group scenarios massiv amounts of aoe damage and thorugh that aoe burns application. its fairly easy to apply 4+ stacks of burn on multiple targets with shield #4 alone.

rune of the mad kings is super strong against piled enemies which happens in pve all the time.

That’s a super squishy build and you’ll get blown up by some stray projectile in WvW. =\

Sword and Shield

in Guardian

Posted by: merchantchuck.4875

merchantchuck.4875

Guardian sword skills while not bad are still slightly boring in the effects that they can produce. Our auto attack chain is boring, the third hit of the chain is okay at best but needs something extra to make it worth using. The 2 skill is nice for the movement and blind (nothing bad to say about it), and lastly the 3 skill is a root skill. I like that it has the potential to destroy projectiles but the fact that its rooted slightly nerfs its potential use whilst in the midst of combat. I know there are clever porting trick which can be used to get on top of opponents and hit them with the full effect but smart players will tend to watch out for this. (maybe give guardians an extra ability on sword that that provides might for every projectile they destroy?)

As for synergy between sword and shield they both provide ways to destroy/absorb projectiles which is a similarity but i’m not so sure about synergy.

Sword and Shield

in Guardian

Posted by: Asmodal.6489

Asmodal.6489

this build is quite fun.

That’s a super squishy build and you’ll get blown up by some stray projectile in WvW. =\

thats why I led with “it depends what you want to do”. this build is mostly for exploring and non meta dungeon runs.

Sword and Shield

in Guardian

Posted by: Corelion.7460

Corelion.7460

1h sword is actually the second on dps behind on greatsword.. problem is the skills are meh at beast and GS brings a lot more.

Sword and Shield

in Guardian

Posted by: Skyline Crash.6254

Skyline Crash.6254

Try something like this out:

http://gw2skills.net/editor/?vVAQJAsel0AhGhYhQwaIwPEHzD19e/hao2ALQAYvg6tEA-T1BBABAcCAEc/h80DolyP0UCCxDAoS1fAA-w

Utilities are interchangeable but try to stick to signets and medis to utilizeonks focus and perfect inscriptions. Use any secondary weapon you like. Same with runes and sigils and chit. I would personally use full zerker but I put a combo of zerker and soldiers on the build (since I don’t know your skill level)

Gl m8

Sword and Shield

in Guardian

Posted by: Keksmuffin.1450

Keksmuffin.1450

1h sword is actually the second on dps behind on greatsword.. problem is the skills are meh at beast and GS brings a lot more.

Mace is more dps ever since they deleted the 10% modifier for sword and introduced symbolic avenger. Unless of course you talk about pvp where the symbol damage is pretty irrelevant.

Sword and shield are both good at some niche things, sword is nice for roaming in wvw because you get a lot of mobility out of porting to random mobs and shield is pretty good on bunker guard in pvp now that they buffed it.

I don’t really see a reason for using both of them together in any situation though.

Bullet Punch

Sword and Shield

in Guardian

Posted by: Ragnar the Rock.3174

Ragnar the Rock.3174

That’s before you factor in traits.

Due to the symbol traits in zeal and honor mace & hammer can actually pull ahead of greatsword. (especially if your using an off hand torch)

Sword and Shield

in Guardian

Posted by: RevanCorana.8942

RevanCorana.8942

Zealot’s Defense needs to be buffed because:

-Whirlind Wrath deals more dmg
-Whirlind Wrath deals AOE dmg
-Whirlind Wrath doesn’t root you
-Whirlind Wrath has 5sec less cooldown

Awesome logic here, we gotta pay a self root, a single target lower dmg, a longer cooldown, for what? Oh yes “block projectiles” which is about as useful as shield before the buff.
Not to mention it’s not a finisher and the 600 range is not correct since as soon as 300 it gets obstructed.
They should at least remove the self root component.

(edited by RevanCorana.8942)

Sword and Shield

in Guardian

Posted by: Ragnarox.9601

Ragnarox.9601

Awesome logic here, we gotta pay a self root, a single target lower dmg, a longer cooldown, for what? Oh yes “block projectiles” which is about as useful as shield before the buff.
Not to mention it’s not a finisher and the 600 range is not correct since as soon as 300 it gets obstructed.

+1.

Sword and Shield

in Guardian

Posted by: Ghotistyx.6942

Ghotistyx.6942

Sword and Shield has heavy projectile defense. Sword procs a lot of On Hit or On Crit effects while shield nor synergizes heavily with aegis traits. There’s potential for a defensive burn build that keeps you relatively safe from projectiles. Something like this perhaps

Keep in mind Zealot’s Aggression will move to Master, grant cripple on VoJ passive, and increase damage to crippled opponents by 10% which can keep people close. Hunter’s Fortification will remove a condition on block and give 10% damage reduction when you don’t have a condition. Blocking an attack will cause about 1k damage in burning and isn’t long enough to be worth cleansing. Your crit chance with fury is about 50% despite not showing up on the combat logs. Some of the exact numbers of other effects and traits aren’t up to date, but the idea stays the same. It’s a very anti-kite build that can benefit from a lot of things.

Sword is also 1 handed. I mean, I’d normally say you’re comparing apples and oranges, but one of them isn’t even a fruit.

Fishsticks

Sword and Shield

in Guardian

Posted by: Lobo Dela Noche.5127

Lobo Dela Noche.5127

Sword and Shield has heavy projectile defense. Sword procs a lot of On Hit or On Crit effects while shield nor synergizes heavily with aegis traits. There’s potential for a defensive burn build that keeps you relatively safe from projectiles. Something like this perhaps

Keep in mind Zealot’s Aggression will move to Master, grant cripple on VoJ passive, and increase damage to crippled opponents by 10% which can keep people close. Hunter’s Fortification will remove a condition on block and give 10% damage reduction when you don’t have a condition. Blocking an attack will cause about 1k damage in burning and isn’t long enough to be worth cleansing. Your crit chance with fury is about 50% despite not showing up on the combat logs. Some of the exact numbers of other effects and traits aren’t up to date, but the idea stays the same. It’s a very anti-kite build that can benefit from a lot of things.

Sword is also 1 handed. I mean, I’d normally say you’re comparing apples and oranges, but one of them isn’t even a fruit.

If he was comparing all 5 greatswords skills to the 3 sword skills I might agree with you but comparing 1-3 on GS to 1-3 on sword is pretty much apples to apples to me. If you are saying having the ability to choose different off hand weapons makes it so that one handed weapons need to be subpar I do not agree. Being forced to take multiple traits to get both main and off hand weapons traited is enough of a hit already.

Sword and Shield

in Guardian

Posted by: Ghotistyx.6942

Ghotistyx.6942

Subpar? No.
But they’re different weapons. They serve different purposes. Auto attacks are meant to accomplish different things. LoF and FB are meant to do separate things. ZD and WW do not serve the same purpose. Pairing Sword with any offhand will give sword a different playstyle. GS always has the same style. Greatsword does not, in this case, mean “bigger sword”.

Fishsticks

Sword and Shield

in Guardian

Posted by: foxcat.4096

foxcat.4096

Appreciate the responses.

Giving me some ideas in fulfilling my dreams of being a bad kitten sword and shield carrying hero.

Sword and Shield

in Guardian

Posted by: Skyline Crash.6254

Skyline Crash.6254

Appreciate the responses.

Giving me some ideas in fulfilling my dreams of being a bad kitten sword and shield carrying hero.

Have ya given my build a go?

Sword and Shield

in Guardian

Posted by: rbbthole.9074

rbbthole.9074

+1.

+1

Sword and Shield

in Guardian

Posted by: Saiyan.1704

Saiyan.1704

Here you go gents!
http://gw2skills.net/editor/?vVAQRAse7dlsAhmhY5QwbIwPEHzD19ef0ao2AXZAYvgVYRB-TJhAwAW3fgzJBYcZAAPBAA

It’s of course a burn build but it utilizes Sword + Shield and Scepter + Focus.

Sword is mainly used for its #2 mobility and combo effects. I use Sword#2 + Geomancy weapon switch, and #2 + Shield #4 Shatter Aegis or #2 + Shield #5.
Mace would be my second pick to further utilize the Block build.

Shield has worked pretty well. It completely negates Lich Form attacks, Mesmer range dmges (not shatter), Engineers poison darts and Rifle skills, and others. If used correctly Shield can be quite strong. More importantly, bubble doesn’t root and the Aegis is just awesome.

I’m theory crafting Shattered Aegis for Shield#4 and Retaliation on block. It’s mainly for team fight scenarios… but Virtues Supreme Justice and Permeating Wrath will perform better in 1v1 situations but maaybee not so well in team fights.

I’m going to stress test this build further (ran it pass 2 days, been working well) then switch to Virtues and compare performance differences. But so far i’m really liking the Sw/Shield and Sc/Focus Burn on Block combo. Others should try it (others will pick virtues, again i’m just theory crafting)

aka FalseLights
#5 best gerdien in wurld

(edited by Saiyan.1704)