Symbol boon durations

Symbol boon durations

in Guardian

Posted by: Ezrael.6859

Ezrael.6859

Symbols currently apply their boons in very small doses, typically around 1s per pulse.

We already know this has issues due to the active nature of combat and the fact that neither allies nor enemies tend to stand in the symbols

But the main thing is that the game has changed and become far more generous with boon application; in duration, in quantity, in frequency and in AoE application ability.

So: Symbols should apply the boons as full duration on the first pulse.
No more multiple pulse stacking.

Faith – 5s Regeneration
Punishment – 5s Might x5
Blades – 8.75s Fury

Protection – 3s Protection
Wrath – 5s Retaliation
Energy – 12s Vigor
Swiftness – 20s Swiftness

Writ of Persistence could be mildly buffed to simply add 20% boon duration.
Though I realise that this change would benefit all except Hammer as the +2 pulses is currently a +66% boon duration buff for Symbol of Protection, perhaps a special case needs to be applied to this with the trait.

(edited by Ezrael.6859)

Symbol boon durations

in Guardian

Posted by: Brutaly.6257

Brutaly.6257

In general i agree but the issue is that this would further improve the meta symbolic build and weakening one of the optional builds, namely AH-builds.

AH-builds actually are sort of viable due to how symbols do work, reapplying boons over time and trigger AH on each application.

What should be done is that the boonapplication should be self centered around the player instead tied to the symbo location and also add the range on the boons to about 450. Ofc applying boons over time just like symbol do atm.

This would not just improve the symbol in all types of builds but also improve other builds more than the current meta symbolic/medi build and it would be a boost to AH in particular.

EDIT
Hell just make the symbols to be tied to the player instead of ground targeted and they would also do the job they are supposed to do, make the guardian a viable “area controller”

(edited by Brutaly.6257)

Symbol boon durations

in Guardian

Posted by: Spartacus.3192

Spartacus.3192

I agree with Brutaly

I like how it is at the moment. I use an Altruistic Build for open world and love the pulse nature of symbols (lots of AH procs).

Also for pvp there is a lot of boon corrupt and boon steal/rip. The ability to pulse boons overcomes that problem.

Your typical average gamer -
“Buff my main class, nerf everything else. "

Symbol boon durations

in Guardian

Posted by: Aeolus.3615

Aeolus.3615

Spartacus.3192, dont mace symbold feels weak due its low cast for a low achieve?

(comparing time that takes to cast symbol and its result).

On full soldiers i dont do damage with symbols and healling :| om symbold was always weak.

Would be to much if mace symbold reduced damage by X% (while guardian in inside offc).

1st April joke, when gw2 receives a “balance” update.

(edited by Aeolus.3615)

Symbol boon durations

in Guardian

Posted by: Pregnantman.8259

Pregnantman.8259

It makes sense that symbols give their support to allies inside them, and their damage to foes inside them. In order to get more support you need to take a risk and stay inside the symbol, and in order to deal more damage you need to make an effort and keep foes inside the symbol. However, with the last 3 symbols added to game there have been additional effects on symbols (burning, teleport, Smite effect). So in order to make things fresh, other symbols should have some unique effects as well.

Symbol boon durations

in Guardian

Posted by: Spartacus.3192

Spartacus.3192

Spartacus.3192, dont mace symbold feels weak due its low cast for a low achieve?

(comparing time that takes to cast symbol and its result).

On full soldiers i dont do damage with symbols and healling :| om symbold was always weak.

Would be to much if mace symbold reduced damage by X% (while guardian in inside offc).

If you pair mace with focus and use Invigorated Bulwark trait. Then you can use Focus 5 while casting Mace 2. The blocks from focus 5 gives you increased healing power. Then Mace 3 was also buffed giving you a hard hitting skill that also gives protection and aegis. Mace 3 will block and the aegis from block also increases Heal Power.

I dont need the symbols for damage i use the symbol boons for sustain since each boon heals for approx 75hp and you get a LOT of boons.

Your typical average gamer -
“Buff my main class, nerf everything else. "

Symbol boon durations

in Guardian

Pregnantman.8259

Mace is in a good spot (not sarcasm), third skill is even a bit over the top with the block spam. Only thing that need adjusting is the symbol cast time to bring it more along the line to newest symbols.

Symbol boon durations

in Guardian

Aeolus.3615

Spartacus.3192m yeah i know, altough i dont like to burn those blocks just to incrase healing power, since my heals come from blocks mostly wich a 1sec interval.
On WVW i found myself with better sustain with the +armor trait +toughness karka potion with more 150 toughness.
I would play AH if i had similiar guardian near be.

Mace is in a good spot (not sarcasm), third skill is even a bit over the top with the block spam. Only thing that need adjusting is the symbol cast time to bring it more along the line to newest symbols.

Mace imo is excellent, that extra block it is a beast on my gamplay.
That is what i ment :\, i feel slow when using the symbol, it take to long to be casted, and needs to keep finger in key to be casted :\, it is not a press and skill will starts being casted, only after animation starts i can take finger from key.

(edited by Aeolus.3615)

Symbol boon durations

in Guardian

Pregnantman.8259

I mean don’t get me wrong, I like mace a lot and it might be my favorite weapon in Guardian, but I dont know if getting Aegis when you block is necessary. I would rather have something else as I almost feel guilty using it.

Symbol boon durations

in Guardian

Aeolus.3615

Well we dont have the health of the other heavy’s, we need active defenses for heal, we dont have a signet with 300-400 heal per second, so we need those blocks to cover the health gap, since we cant run out of combat also, and being class with most toughness in this game is nothing special either.

Imo feeling guilty on a game that is mostly aoe/cleave spam and some high damage skill on very low CD? no i dont feel guilty, but i would say i feel guilty when playing meditrapper.

(edited by Aeolus.3615)

Symbol boon durations

in Guardian

Pregnantman.8259

I just feel that it does a bit too much for 1 skill. It is basically block, block again and protection – all for allies too. In a perfect world this is unbalanced, but with the way things are its not even mentioned.

Symbol boon durations

in Guardian

Posted by: Ghotistyx.6942

Ghotistyx.6942

None of this needs to be changed.

Fishsticks

Symbol boon durations

in Guardian

Pregnantman.8259

In the way OP suggests I think not, but it would be nice to have an update on all symbols. Mace 3 being “normal” just indicates how far the power creep has gone, so I would leave it. Its just that if you think from a pre spec patch point of view its too much, but what isnt these days?