Tactics against Destroyers, PvE

in Guardian

Posted by: WillAD.9670

WillAD.9670

Hey all,

Today I entered an Instance that pitted my Guardian against a volley of Destroyers. Ya know, the scorpion-like critters that are immune to Burning. Anyway, I was having more than a little trouble over coming them.

Here is why:

1. Immune to Burning. Meaning less damage from me and my ‘Hounds of Balthazar’ elite skill.
2. They have a Magma Symbol that auto-cast/auto-hits you for large damage at medium range, making kiting almost counter-productive.
3. They are surprisingly fast. Making Instance combat space even smaller.

Thus, my question: How does a Guardian spec for a King-of-the-Hill match against Destroyers?

in Guardian

Posted by: Draeka.5941

Draeka.5941

The staff and hammer are useful in corralling them where you want them to go, or not to go; the hammer is particularly effective since it can help you knock an extra one away, and then drop a ring of warding to buy yourself a few seconds. Be sure to have a secondary weapon set that is good defensively, one that you can switch to so you can recuperate during the battle.

Smite conditions could help deal damage while clearing yourself of burning as well. A greatsword and sword/focus combo could also keep them sufficiently blinded, give you plenty of aegis, and help remove conditions (symbol+whirling) to free up some utility space. Tbh, any weapon combo can help out, so long as you’re not using the torch. =P

Also, run Renewed Focus. Those 3 seconds it buys you may not seem like much, but a bit of life can go a long way. Pop your virtues beforehand (yes, even Justice, if you have 5 points into Virtue), and gleefully watch as they refresh afterward. Destroyers are annoying, but I’ll take them over thekittendredge any day of the week.

in Guardian

WillAD.9670

Thanks Draeka,

I enjoyed the 2nd paragraph very much.

in Guardian

Posted by: Bleeds.4029

Bleeds.4029

I use the greatsword to great effect against destroyers. Get them grouped up in multiples, use #4 to get an aoe blind. I pop my #2 out of habit followed by a single set of auto attack for the might boon. Once I see the might boon I hit #3. If there are 3-4 of them you will probably need to heal before you rinse and repeat. I also tend to pve with greatsword and mace/shield. If things are really hairy, the mace and sheild is the go-to for me. Just remember to be mobile and don’t stand in lava fountains.

P.S. in pve I am built for toughness, crit and some power if that makes any difference.

in Guardian

Posted by: phor.7952

phor.7952

Don’t forget V

Magma Symbol? V
Wind-up attack coming? V
Need a second or two before a skill comes off cooldown? V

in Guardian

Posted by: Kita.7819

Kita.7819

PROTIP: TO DEFEAT THE DESTROYER, SHOOT SLASH AT IT UNTIL IT DIES

Kita – Guardian
Server: Darkhaven. The Besthaven.

in Guardian

Posted by: MattVid.7905

MattVid.7905

GS → 5,5,2,3,4 … swap weapons to Hammer → 5, 2, 1, 2, 1, 2 … back to GS and repeat. The GS makes pretty much all PvE easy-mode on my Guardian.

Vidrak Ironwill – Norn Guardian
Omniscient of Jade Quarry

in Guardian

WillAD.9670

In Review: How does a Guardian spec for Destoryers?
_

Draeka.5941 says: – Staff/Hammer, Combo utilities, Renewed Focus

Bleeds.4029 says: Greatsword/Mace & Shield, specific Trait Build

phor.7952 says: Use a ‘V’

Kita.7819 says: I’m a Troll

MattVid.7905 says: Greatsword/Hammer on EZ mode

in Guardian

Posted by: phor.7952

phor.7952

In Review: How does a Guardian spec for Destoryers?
_

phor.7952 says: Use a ‘V’

Just for clarification in case the reference wasn’t clear, V is the default key for dodge/evade.
:D

in Guardian

Posted by: Wizardauz.3761

Wizardauz.3761

phor

Don’t forget V

Magma Symbol? V
Wind-up attack coming? V
Need a second or two before a skill comes off cooldown? V

While i completely agree with you about the importance of dodging, you make it seem like you have 3 bars of endurance lol. Dodging is good, but the CDs before the next is a lengthy.

Ehmry Bay – Good Fights Guild Leader
Lvl 80 Sylvari Guardian – Tzenjin [GF]
Lvl 80 Human Elementalist – Tzenkai [GF]

in Guardian

Posted by: Polle.6908

Polle.6908

In my own personal experience, you will have more success using a a greatsword. Its one of the few situations where you’ll actually go down faster trying to spec defensively.

*It does the most burst damage and you can bring groups of destroyers down before they can do too much.

*The self combo will remove conditions which alot of the damage comes from.

*The GS also does not rely as much on burn damage compared to the one hand sword.

*Additionally, using meditation skills and the rune that heals every time you use one will become very handy against destroyers or any enemy that deals alot of condition damage.

The Hammer fairs ok as well but I prefer the blind/chain pull and burst damage from the GS as opposed to trying to control the destroyers.