Tankiest build?

Tankiest build?

in Guardian

Posted by: eXeD.9738

eXeD.9738

I’ve already searched a bit and all I can find is people saying “mix berseker with knight/soldier, it’ll be much better”, well let me stop you there… I already have a full berserker thief and a Warrior go tanky/DPS mix.

Currently I’m looking for something to simply take damage, even if I’m gonna deal 0 damage, and it will be strictly for WvW purposes.
Here’s what I have in mind so far:

Full Knight armor/weapons/trinkets
Dolyak runes
30 points on Valor with: Strength in Numbers and Honorable Shield

I would appreciate if someone could help me with the rest of the build as I am completely clueless about Guardians! No idea which weapon to take on the main hand , utility skills or what traits would be best.

http://gw2skills.net/editor/?fUAQJAsekYgREXPSoEBAA-jUxAJwioxW2KiGriBTdSEV7PKiWNA-w

I also have a question for those who might know, would a Warrior be more viable with this build? I know that in theory the Guardian would be tankier, but with the Healing Signet and Adrenal Health it just regens too much HP, mixed with Dolyak Runs it could regen even more…

Thanks in advance, and forgive me for all the ignorance!

Tankiest build?

in Guardian

Posted by: ArtemisEntreri.4138

ArtemisEntreri.4138

Tanky?

http://gw2skills.net/editor/?fUAQNAS5elUgqCnFSPEm4ERWhRi9AjasjXPSoDZIA-jUyAoLBZiBA1AicAnzLiGbltIasKdioa9CmHvIa1SBQxYA-w

There is no greater guardian bunker then this build. If you go after the guard killer in your world exp bar to get the Fortitude, your HP will sit at 29k to 31k depending on the bolster from WvW. Popping Tome of Courage will send your HP to 37k to 38k and your toughness to 2.7k making you almost impossible to take down. The 1 spam on tome of courage will also allow you to spam heal 5 people for 1.3k per spam. using this with the dodge heal while pushing into the enemy is the perfect way to keep the group alive.

Adjust to your liking.

Guardian / Warrior / Thief / Necromancer
Black Gate – Immortals of the Mist [IoM]

Tankiest build?

in Guardian

eXeD.9738

Tanky?

http://gw2skills.net/editor/?fUAQNAS5elUgqCnFSPEm4ERWhRi9AjasjXPSoDZIA-jUyAoLBZiBA1AicAnzLiGbltIasKdioa9CmHvIa1SBQxYA-w

There is no greater guardian bunker then this build. If you go after the guard killer in your world exp bar to get the Fortitude, your HP will sit at 29k to 31k depending on the bolster from WvW. Popping Tome of Courage will send your HP to 37k to 38k and your toughness to 2.7k making you almost impossible to take down. The 1 spam on tome of courage will also allow you to spam heal 5 people for 1.3k per spam. using this with the dodge heal while pushing into the enemy is the perfect way to keep the group alive.

Adjust to your liking.

Seems like the elite skill would be an important part of the build, but what happens without it? On a full Soldier Warriow with regeneration, I can literally sit there and watch as someone hits me and my HP won’t go down, exactly what would happen with a Guardian with this build? Assuming I’m not using the elite skill of course.

Tankiest build?

in Guardian

Posted by: Amins.3710

Amins.3710

First you need to decide: Tanky in what instance?

Tanky is Zerg vs Zerg?

Tanky in Zerg Bust’n small spec op groups?

Tanky in small group roaming

Tanky is solo play?

Very different builds.

Amins – Guardian
Gameplay Video’s & Forum Post

Tankiest build?

in Guardian

eXeD.9738

First you need to decide: Tanky in what instance?

Tanky is Zerg vs Zerg?

Tanky in Zerg Bust’n small spec op groups?

Tanky in small group roaming

Tanky is solo play?

Very different builds.

Well, it would be mostly small groups, 2 to 5 people (me included), and sometimes joining Zergs. Solo play is something I’m not interested in as I already have a character to do that with.

Tankiest build?

in Guardian

Posted by: xFireize.6318

xFireize.6318

Well here is the thing about Guardian builds. If you sacrifice everything to become a tank, you will miss out on some efficiency that the traits can provide. ArtemisEntreri.4138 has already given an example. Sure Sentinel is awesome to a Guardian. But with crit chance at 4%, 30% critical damage from Valor becomes almost useless. You also barely get the vigor from the Honor trait line, which is great to help you dodge and heal you and allies. And the most important, you also miss out on Empowering Allies, which is AH’s best friend forever. High vit is great to survive getting burst, but what’s the point if you can’t heal back up?

This is my bunker Altruistic Healing build:
http://gw2skills.net/editor/?fUAQJARSlYgyCXEyKEfIFRuA7DEETBGz41DK6QGC-jUyAo8ARMgIIA58ioxWGLiGryGT/SEVbvTkNfY1yAwMGA-w

If you want that build to become even tankier, use Empowering Allies instead of Two-handed Mastery. I simply don’t like it because the heal amount is nasty. You can also put 30 in Honor instead of 15 in Radiance. But in my opinion blind and burn are very useful in fighting a zerg. Plus, Signet of Judgement + “Hold the Line” are great “oh no kitty nooooo!” buttons against a zerg.

In your base build that you linked, I see you are using Sword / Shield. When I started WvW, I used Sword / Focus and Scepter / Shield. In my opinion these 1-h weapons are more solo-oriented. Hence, it’s better to heal using Monk’s Focus instead of AH. But since you said you aren’t interested in playing solo, I say AH and two-handed weapon’s symbols are the way to go.

Full knight’s armor and trinkets+jewels are bad because toughness loses efficiency as it goes up. People usually stop at 3k armor. On top of that, our base HP is small. So at least mix it with Sentinel.

Bloo Foefire [RAM]
Yak’s Bend
Why bother being a Guardian if you don’t guard anyone?

(edited by xFireize.6318)

Tankiest build?

in Guardian

Posted by: foofad.5162

foofad.5162

Full knight’s armor and trinkets+jewels are bad because toughness loses efficiency as it goes up. People usually stop at 3k armor.

I just want to point out that this is not exactly the case. While it does take double your current armor to halve your damage taken, EHP scales linearly. One point of toughness always increases EHP by the same amount as the next.

Effective Health = (Health × Armor)/(1836)

Total damage reduction (as compared to a base-armor character (1836 armor)) = Damage Reduction = (Armor – 1836)/Armor

Eilir Eirasdottir, Guardian, Tarnished Coast
Painbow.6059: Ignore what anyone else who doesn’t agree with me has said because its wrong.

Tankiest build?

in Guardian

Posted by: Dristig.9678

Dristig.9678

I don’t understand people calling themselves tanky without Healing Power. The dodge roll heal + vigor is nearly the most efficient heal in the game. It also heals everyone around you. Sigil of Energy and Sigil of Stamin are your bestest friends ever. You can be healing 5 people for 1500 hp and be dodging almost continuously while in a group fight.

Tankiest build?

in Guardian

Posted by: Amins.3710

Amins.3710

http://gw2skills.net/editor/?fUQQNAsdRlUgiDXEyKEf4ESmiCMBxUURw31jEiiYIA-jkyAYMBRqBA9JiZvhsmAjYFsIasqaioaVDmNnIq2lgJDAzCA-w

That’s a fun group build for 3-5 person roaming.

Run w/ a +healing weapon and then swap it out for a +might on crit.

Amins – Guardian
Gameplay Video’s & Forum Post