The Firebrand

The Firebrand

in Guardian

Posted by: BoneKing.3816

BoneKing.3816

In case you missed it. https://www.guildwars2.com/en/path-of-fire/
And somehow skipped over the front page of the site the second expansion Path of Fire has been revealed with all the names and basic rundown of elite specs – Guardian included. The firebrand. “These zealous lorekeepers are skilled in conjuring magical fire, and they use axes and mantras in close combat. Their virtues are replaced by conjured tomes, which act as weapons to rebuke enemies and protect allies..
So, we get axes, mantras, and TOMES as virtues.

#MakeTomesGreatAgain

The Firebrand

in Guardian

Posted by: mrauls.6519

mrauls.6519

The thing that scares me the worse (PvP in mind) is they mentioned we will have to cast a lot of our skills… Please not be at signet casts times

Mes (Guardian)
I make PvP & WvW videos

The Firebrand

in Guardian

Posted by: Kuya.6495

Kuya.6495

the nice thing is that if f3 is a tome, we can comebine it with virtues traits to make it a stunbreak and have stability.

The Firebrand

in Guardian

Posted by: Nick.6972

Nick.6972

Was just said on steam – “like kits” and each ’’kit’’ gives something distinct – healing/condi/dps.

The Firebrand

in Guardian

Posted by: mrauls.6519

mrauls.6519

Who knows if we’ll even take Virtues… Interested in seeing the new traitline

Mes (Guardian)
I make PvP & WvW videos

The Firebrand

in Guardian

Posted by: AlcatrazXIII.8532

AlcatrazXIII.8532

Am I the only one disappointed that the tomes don’t actually stay visible after they are summoned ?

The Firebrand

in Guardian

Posted by: Syktek.7912

Syktek.7912

I can see it now. The new burn guardian. Virtues, Valor, Firebrand. Cleaving forward AoE autos and close ranger axe skills will make proc’ing PW + Justice combo much easier and much more deadly.

Can’t wait to be even more cancerous in WvW!

Vesper Dawnshield | Guardian

(edited by Syktek.7912)

The Firebrand

in Guardian

Posted by: Arcaedus.7290

Arcaedus.7290

Trying to be cautiously optimistic here, but I really do see potential:

• A support based class but an offensive melee weapon: To me this indicates that the weapon is them tossing a bone towards those of us who want a more offensive/dps mainhand weapon and don’t JUST want to support. If they intended on making this elite spec full support, our weapon would have been off-hand warhorn.
  • “Burning is still our only condition” : we don’t know this for sure yet. In truth, I believe this will unfortunately be the case, but who knows? There could be bleed on one of the axe skills, and there could be a trait that applies conditions to the enemy every time we burn them/remove a boon from them/ they block our attacks/whatever. Additionally, I predict that we’ll gain more access to blind, cripple, immob, slow and vulnerability from our tomes/traits/utilities, some of which may come with frequent application (vulnerability on f1 procs, for example) and act as cover condis.
  • We’re moving towards casting-based support: This could be bad but is a bit of a gray zone for me. It all comes down to how obvious the animation is coupled with reaction time of an enemy. I can see this going one of two directions:
    1. We have to cast a LOT of things (nearly everything for our tomes) but cast times are short (0.25 to 1s).
    2. Our most important skills will have significant cast times (0.5 to 1.5s) but some clutch skills (instantly blinding enemies, giving stability to allies, giving aoe aegis) will be instant-cast.
    Personally, I’m hoping #2 is the case as this will promote skillful play as opposed to #1 promoting a face-roll style which falls off at higher-tiered play since you won’t be able to circumvent getting interrupted by good players.
    Lets also not forget that more casting-based support potentially means more powerful and useful support when used properly. This is something the guardians need to move beyond the realm of only being “Stand Your Ground!” bots.

One last note: I encourage you all to think of what may already synergize with the upcoming elite spec. For example: For spvp, I for one am excited merely by the prospect of Smiter’s boon synergizing with a healing mantra that has 2, maybe 3 uses! That’s potentially a lot of damage and is definitely a lot of condis cleared.

The Firebrand

in Guardian

Posted by: Electro.4173

Electro.4173

Am I the only one disappointed that the tomes don’t actually stay visible after they are summoned ?

Definitely not. I loved seeing my tome hovering in front of me back in the day when they were still elites and was expecting that to be the way they appeared when I heard rumors of them as an Espec. Not sure why they’ve decided to go with this new “pages circling around you” approach instead of the floating book, it looks a lot less interesting IMO. I could see it if the tomes weren’t acting like kits any more, since they’d still need to show your weapons if that were the case, in which case the page circling would make sense. But since they do seem to be acting like kits and replacing weapons, I’d definitely rather see the book.

Still looking forward to Firebrand though. Tomes sound like they’ll be fun and I like the axe visuals a lot. Mantras I’m not too excited about, mantras are probably my least favorite skill type in the entire game, but it fits the specs “lore” at least.

The Firebrand

in Guardian

Posted by: Nick.6972

Nick.6972

https://youtu.be/nflQFIFnpVo?t=23 Video without the actual skill descriptions.

The Firebrand

in Guardian

Posted by: Ragnarox.9601

Ragnarox.9601

I hate seeing all those big casting times…..useless in wvw and pvp without at least 3,4 stability ticks….and no 33% movement trait again.

The Firebrand

in Guardian

Posted by: Adrenalin.5719

Adrenalin.5719

That is devastating. Our skills are a JOKE compared to other classes. Didn’t think it was this bad. And as well all know it’s not like that we had the best spec last expansion and it gets toned down now, no, we get two times in a row the worst spec, definitely visually wise and probably again number wise. If you support them with your money as a Guardian main I don’t know why tbh.

fanboy | A passionate fan of elements of geek culture, letting his passion override social graces
and common sense.

(edited by Adrenalin.5719)

The Firebrand

in Guardian

Posted by: Ragnarox.9601

Ragnarox.9601

That is devastating. Our skills are a JOKE compared to other classes. Didn’t think it was this bad. And as well all know it’s not like that we had the best spec last expansion and it gets toned down now, no, we get two times in a row the worst spec, definitely visually wise and probably again number wise. If you support them with your money as a Guardian main I don’t know why tbh.

Yea and they nerfing DH with every patch.

The Firebrand

in Guardian

Posted by: Arimas.3492

Arimas.3492

I feel like the old Chill does damage that was on Reaper before nerf should have been added to Guardian as a second condition option. Makes sense that cold hard justice hurts.