The Healway Guardian.

The Healway Guardian.

in Guardian

Posted by: Ultimatum.2457

Ultimatum.2457

I have found several references to the “healway” guardian and, as a fairly new guardian, was wondering if it’s still a viable build.

Has anything been changed that prevents it from being viable at this time?

I rather enjoy the concept of it.

http://en.gw2skills.net/editor/?fUAQNAR8dlUgyCXFyvDf4ES2jVCBTQsHYUG1RXFUIA;T8AgzymEMJZS1kiJKvMeJ8y2lrLZXrPGfsbA

Thanks in advance.

The Healway Guardian.

in Guardian

Posted by: CMF.5461

CMF.5461

Many still use it, the big down side is that boonhate/boonsteal gives more opportunities for other classes to use our boons against us. Maybe that is good since it levels the playing field a bit.

The other negative was the change to retaliation doing less damage in wvw and spvp, so the passive damage that it did was reduced.

You are not invincible with the healway build but you have to know when to get out and let heals tick. It buys you a lot of time, but you have to use that time to recover.

It is a sort of non-intuitive style of combat but very effective, albeit slower, way of fighting.

The Healway Guardian.

in Guardian

Ultimatum.2457

Many still use it, the big down side is that boonhate/boonsteal gives more opportunities for other classes to use our boons against us. Maybe that is good since it levels the playing field a bit.

The other negative was the change to retaliation doing less damage in wvw and spvp, so the passive damage that it did was reduced.

You are not invincible with the healway build but you have to know when to get out and let heals tick. It buys you a lot of time, but you have to use that time to recover.

It is a sort of non-intuitive style of combat but very effective, albeit slower, way of fighting.

Was there anything changed in the final rendition that isn’t available in the build link?

Also, does it work in PVE?

Finally, why did the original author take it down?

The Healway Guardian.

in Guardian

Posted by: CMF.5461

CMF.5461

The e s s e n c e(it censored ess ence?) of the build is longer boons with better heals. Some have tweeked it to have more offensive stats here and there or to build up the base HP with different gear, but for the most part as long as you are maintaining regeneration, weapon swapping a lot, and rolling consistently (but not needlessly) to heal and avoid damage then you have the healway build.

So there are a few variations for sure but I do not know them all off the top of my head. Take what you have and adjust it to where you feel you have gaps. Pretty much.

It works well in PvE, but if you are going to dungeon be aware of what group you are with. This build does not bring in a lot of raw damage but it will support fairly well while keeping yourself alive. If you are in a berserker gear group then you may find yourself with a few dead and kitten ed off group members since the fights were not over fast enough.

As to the original post being removed, those are personal reasons and we will leave it at that out of respect.

(edited by CMF.5461)

The Healway Guardian.

in Guardian

Posted by: phokus.8934

phokus.8934

Was there anything changed in the final rendition that isn’t available in the build link?

Also, does it work in PVE?

Finally, why did the original author take it down?

You win fights through attrition so don’t expect to burst anyone down. It’s a pretty straightforward build that has been linked. It does work in PvE as support and your dodge rolls can heal for just under 2k.

He took it down because he couldn’t handle people messaging him when he was on and didn’t want to be in the lime light.

I post from a phone so please excuse any references to ducks or any other auto corrections.

The Healway Guardian.

in Guardian

Posted by: babak.3654

babak.3654

I find it works very nicely, and I love having good survivability without having to stick 30 pts into valor. Admittedly I use it in a more support-oriented way usually, and it’s brilliant for support.

On the occasions that I’ve gone solo roaming for fights, I’ve had decent wins 1v1, 1v2, even 1v3 but usually what happens is that I get too many adds (either friendly or hostile) before I can win the fight through attrition, or my opponent just disengages and moves on. Watching Chris’ videos he’s clearly on a different level to me, but that’s my experience.

The Healway Guardian.

in Guardian

Posted by: JustCurious.3457

JustCurious.3457

I use something similar to this (here). I main a Mace and Shield and swap out my secondary as needed. Tend to play it as a support role, it works very well in PvE. I can focus more on symbols more as things tend not to move around as much in PvE as people do in PvP.

Classes: Guardian, Elementalist, Warrior, Thief, Engineer, Herald

The Healway Guardian.

in Guardian

Ultimatum.2457

For back, I am sort of up-in-the-air about what to use. I am using two soldier rings, as opposed to clerics, and the original GW2Buildcraft says to use Magi back… I am considering Soldier back.

What do you guys think? Everything else is cleric, amulet, earrings, armor, weapons, etc. Just thinking back-soldier and keeping my two soldier rings.

Opinions? Here’s original buildcraft.

http://gw2buildcraft.com/calculator/guardian/?3.0|1.1k.h1j|c.1k.h1j.d.1k.h6|1k.a8.1k.a8.1k.a8.1k.a8.1k.a8.1k.a8|1k.68.1k.68.1k.68.1k.68.1k.68.1a.68|0.0.a2.u29b.u29a|0.0|w.16.19.18.0|e

The Healway Guardian.

in Guardian

Posted by: Christos de Soufre.3802

Christos de Soufre.3802

I use a Soldier’s back, personally.

Chris “Dawnheart” Aerinoh — Revenant, Guardian — Blackgate

The Healway Guardian.

in Guardian

Ultimatum.2457

I use a Soldier’s back, personally.

I’m glad you posted. From what I understand you made this clever build, much thanks.

If you wouldn’t mind, what about amulet, earrings, rings? Further, someone said you changed from sigil of life in the Focus to bloodlust? – With a sigil of energy in the sword for obvious reasons.

Also, your Peacekeeper video was epic man, I liked it a lot.

The Healway Guardian.

in Guardian

Posted by: Christos de Soufre.3802

Christos de Soufre.3802

I’m glad you posted. From what I understand you made this clever build, much thanks.

No problem, glad you like it. :>

If you wouldn’t mind, what about amulet, earrings, rings? Further, someone said you changed from sigil of life in the Focus to bloodlust? – With a sigil of energy in the sword for obvious reasons.

Not info I like to share, sorry. :<

Also, your Peacekeeper video was epic man, I liked it a lot.

Thanks. ^^

Chris “Dawnheart” Aerinoh — Revenant, Guardian — Blackgate

The Healway Guardian.

in Guardian

Posted by: Harbinger.8637

Harbinger.8637

It’s a very good build. Been playing around with it, I went a more offensive type though. Only 700 healing power, but ofc I make up for it in damage. Survivability is still insane. Easily have over a min of vigor in my fights, so just dodge roll for days.

Only problem I have is s/d thieves. The good ones wreck my world no matter what I do it seems, but that’s a gimmicky build just to counter boons. So I’m fine with it.

Overall it’s one of the better Guard builds.

Guardian WvW Guide!
Heavens Rage

The Healway Guardian.

in Guardian

Ultimatum.2457

It’s a very good build. Been playing around with it, I went a more offensive type though. Only 700 healing power, but ofc I make up for it in damage. Survivability is still insane. Easily have over a min of vigor in my fights, so just dodge roll for days.

Only problem I have is s/d thieves. The good ones wreck my world no matter what I do it seems, but that’s a gimmicky build just to counter boons. So I’m fine with it.

Do you have it setup for 60% boon duration with three water, three monk, or two of each and two sanctuary for 80%?

The Healway Guardian.

in Guardian

Posted by: Harbinger.8637

Harbinger.8637

Do you have it setup for 60% boon duration with three water, three monk, or two of each and two sanctuary for 80%?

Nah, I’m just using Lyssa Runes. So I guess you can say it’s not a “true” healway build, but the overall idea is the same.

Guardian WvW Guide!
Heavens Rage

The Healway Guardian.

in Guardian

Ultimatum.2457

Nah, I’m just using Lyssa Runes. So I guess you can say it’s not a “true” healway build, but the overall idea is the same.

Lyssa runes stack condition damage, don’t they? That helps?

The Healway Guardian.

in Guardian

Posted by: Laceration.4290

Laceration.4290

Healway is still 1 of the greatest builds for guardians imo. Tons of fun to play Personally ive made a couple changes to the build to fit my playstyle more.

As some have stated the s/d thieves can be a bit of a pain but so far i havent come across anyone i couldnt beat, i wouldnt worry about boonhate either since i dont think there are alot of warrs running 25 points into 1 tree to get it.

Retaliation nerf hurt the build a bit, taking away some of the main dmg dealing way. For now its better to play on borderlands for now lol.

Dr Laceration [AiD]
YouTube?

The Healway Guardian.

in Guardian

Posted by: Hunter.4783

Hunter.4783

My problem with the healway build is thakittens DPS output outside of retaliation is nonexistent. And on top of it, the retaliation dmg nerf made it worse.

Therefore outside of dueling setups anyone can easily run away from you when they see they are losing and even if you manage to keep up you will not be able to down them. In addition, dueling another bunker turns into a waste of time as no one can get the upper hand. Its still a great build when roaming with other glass cannons as you can be the initiator or whoever runs into guards first but at the end of the day, its a role the D/D ele does better.

Last but not least, S/D thieves can counter you pretty nicely and if RNG goes their way they can even down you

The Healway Guardian.

in Guardian

Posted by: Crapgame.6519

Crapgame.6519

I don’t know what the current “healing” build is but one of the original spec was along the lines of: 0/0/10/30/30. Christos, if I recall, went through several iterations trying different things before he stepped aside to enjoy other things and/or the game. I think a lot of people went overboard or got too excited about it all and it got to be a bit much (I’m not going to speak for him but that was my take).

I am actually still using it above has I noted in another thread which is built using clerics gear and accessories. I started out using sword/focus and greatsword. It is still the primary weapon choice but I’m a wee bit stubborn and swap focus with the shield. I blame my DaOC days when I played a Thane.

Anyway – the build has a whole works. I only do WvW. The few instance/dungeons I do, the build works. I’m not a high fractal person so don’t take my word there. I am still under level 10 I think it works best in groups. I feel I can still charge in and push people back regardless of numbers. Staff and shield work for my playstyle.

Solo play today is a bit more rough and I don’t know if it is our server match up, patch, or my ignorance of the class still (yes, even since playing from open betas). I’m just not a really good player knowing what the person is doing (animations or stuff) I’m fighting and what counters it. So I’m a reactionary player which probably doesn’t help this build or class.

In short, while I really want to find a good mix of healing gear with DPS I think I’d die more than using this setup. I think it is more forgiving if that makes sense. I feel that I live longer so it is fun. In zergs I can push which is my tendency anyway – just run in like a bull in a China shop and hope for the best.

To those who did this build, and a few others sharing in the various threads. Thanks. The GW2 community hopefully feels the same way. It is a bit glass full/empty deal. You share information that could be used against you in WvW At the same time people send tells in game or via PM’s and it can be a burden.

Thanks never the less. It does help some people enjoy the game even if we don’t always say thanks.

Main – Laaz Rocket – Guardian (Ehmry Bay)
Johnny Johnny – Ranger (Ehmry Bay)
Hárvey Wallbanger – Alt Warrior (Ehmry Bay)

The Healway Guardian.

in Guardian

Posted by: Lonewolf Kai.3682

Lonewolf Kai.3682

I blame my DaOC days when I played a Thane.

My Infiltrator loved you Thanes >:)

“Be like water” – Bruce Lee

The Healway Guardian.

in Guardian

Posted by: Crapgame.6519

Crapgame.6519

Yeah, they did. And rightly so. If it got bad then I’d just swap over to my spiritmaster and use lifetap and pboae.

Wish the EB jp was a bit more like DF. Such potential in there yet empty of anything including risk.

Main – Laaz Rocket – Guardian (Ehmry Bay)
Johnny Johnny – Ranger (Ehmry Bay)
Hárvey Wallbanger – Alt Warrior (Ehmry Bay)

The Healway Guardian.

in Guardian

Posted by: Lonewolf Kai.3682

Lonewolf Kai.3682

Yeah, they did. And rightly so. If it got bad then I’d just swap over to my spiritmaster and use lifetap and pboae.

Wish the EB jp was a bit more like DF. Such potential in there yet empty of anything including risk.

Oh geez, a DF would be absolutely awesome in this game! Bah! Don’t get me started on that memory lane…. too late. Oh how I miss DAoC.

What’s odd was that I really liked my Infil, and mostly main’ed it, but I don’t like the Thief in this game. I think it’s the toggable, non-duration stealth and detection mechanics that I miss.

“Be like water” – Bruce Lee

(edited by Lonewolf Kai.3682)