Wall of Reflection ground targetting

in Guardian

Posted by: quaniesan.8497

quaniesan.8497

I understand the ground targeting seems like an upgrade, it’s quite useful in wvw. Now when it comes to real game play, i do find the new WoR is extremely clunky. Placing it on the ground takes abit of your concentration away from combat, especially when the wall’s orientation keep wiggling when you try to make it face the right direction with mouse wheel. Placing it on the ground takes away quite a few second from your focus in what’s going on. In a way, I see it as a nerf. I never find WoR so difficult to use previously. Can’t you just either remove it or make the wall always facing the camera?

If ya no longer see me after this post,
it means THEY got me for " neg criticism in clever disguise".
Know that it has been fun and I love ya all.

in Guardian

Posted by: Vikkela.7261

Vikkela.7261

What’s that “real gameplay” you are talking about?

9 Guardians later…

in Guardian

Posted by: Stormwolf.8567

Stormwolf.8567

Don’t be facetious – you know exactly what he means. Prior to mixing up Consecrated Ground with Master of Consecrations placing a wall was a 1 click job and it placed precisely where you were standing, oriented exactly at 90 degrees to your character. Now you have to double click it. Now the default behaviour is Consecrated Ground style – click to trigger and click again to place – which is less intuitive and takes fractionally longer – sometimes you just want the wall here, now – like when you’re about to get feathered by a roaming ranger death squad…

Mostly it’s about practice but it does take a bit of getting used to and a ‘one click option’ would be nice

in Guardian

Vikkela.7261

Having to run to the place where you want the WoR < can apply it there from distance

Ever used line of warding?

9 Guardians later…

in Guardian

Posted by: Stormwolf.8567

Stormwolf.8567

Usually (and I agree not always) the place you want the WoR is right in front of you – which makes it harder for a ranged attacker to step around / through it. There are exceptions… obvious PvE example getting Lupi to shoot himself in the face.
The point is previously there was a choice whether or not to trait for Consecrated Ground – now it’s default behaviour it will take a bit of getting used to… and more than half the time what you really want is the WoR or Purging Flames or Hallowed Ground or whatever right under your own feet anyway.

in Guardian

Vikkela.7261

I agree there should definitely be an option to switch the modes, but going back to earlier having to trait twice for it (cd reduction and +duration were always the first option) would be terrible, this was one of the biggest changes I was waiting for myself . What I don’t agree with is one wanting to most of the times placing the Consecrations beneath oneself since I want them upon my ally in need, and they are not always standing beneath my feeth

9 Guardians later…

in Guardian

Posted by: Fashion Mage.3712

Fashion Mage.3712

Consecrations being ground targeted makes them ideal for supporting allies. The small increase of skill required to use them while ground targeted isn’t really a big deal to me.

(edited by Fashion Mage.3712)

in Guardian

Posted by: quaniesan.8497

quaniesan.8497

Having to run to the place where you want the WoR < can apply it there from distance

Here’s another question: how does it feel getting hit by a missile (you are trying to reflect) while still trying to position your wall? Just like Storm, I absolutely agree that , in most cases, where you want the wall is right in front of you. Very few situation that a ranged WoR being very useful ( for example, when zergs are about to clash), otherwise it’s just clunky at best. I would go with statistics.

If ya no longer see me after this post,
it means THEY got me for " neg criticism in clever disguise".
Know that it has been fun and I love ya all.

(edited by quaniesan.8497)

in Guardian

Posted by: Adrenalin.5719

Adrenalin.5719

Consecrations being ground targeted makes them ideal for supporting allies. The small increase of skill required to use them while ground targeted isn’t really a big deal to me.

Nothing of these changes was made in regards of skill-increase. They are for the casuals who are too dumb/lazy to skill the now-gone appropriate traits in the appropriate situation.

The new system with all-the-time ground targeting is just clunky and toxic to guardian gameplay. There is no skill increase, just the level of leaving this game because of bad changes increased, that’s all.

fanboy | A passionate fan of elements of geek culture, letting his passion override social graces
and common sense.

(edited by Adrenalin.5719)

in Guardian

Vikkela.7261

Here’s another question: how does it feel getting hit by a missile (you are trying to reflect) while still trying to position your wall? Just like Storm, I absolutely agree that , in most cases, where you want the wall is right in front of you. Very few situation that a ranged WoR being very useful ( for example, when zergs are about to clash), otherwise it’s just clunky at best. I would go with statistics.

It feels just as good when getting hit by a missile when you are obviously running towards the place you are trying to place your consecration on, which imo feels 10x clunkier. Gapclosing towards that other small group ain’t fun without teleports and wasting SyG there ain’t good either.
Line of warding is good training so you don’t waste time looking for your mouse around the map or place it in the wrong direction, after some time you notice a way of placing it directly in the right way after a small cameraturn

9 Guardians later…

in Guardian

Posted by: JakHammer.7094

JakHammer.7094

In a different thread about this same problem, a poster mentioned something I never knew. If you double click the skill bar it will cast at your feet like before. Works for both WoR and Purging Flames.

So while I would prefer the option to turn ground targeting off, this is at least a work around for fast action situations.

Of course I’ll also be spending the 50 bucks I could have used on a pre-order buying a mouse with many more buttons.

in Guardian

Posted by: Fermi.2409

Fermi.2409

Don’t be facetious – you know exactly what he means. Prior to mixing up Consecrated Ground with Master of Consecrations placing a wall was a 1 click job and it placed precisely where you were standing, oriented exactly at 90 degrees to your character. Now you have to double click it. Now the default behaviour is Consecrated Ground style – click to trigger and click again to place – which is less intuitive and takes fractionally longer – sometimes you just want the wall here, now – like when you’re about to get feathered by a roaming ranger death squad…

Mostly it’s about practice but it does take a bit of getting used to and a ‘one click option’ would be nice

Switch to fast targeting with range indicators and just hover the mouse over the UI somewhere. Bam, original functionality restored.

HAF 912 | i7-3770k @ 4.5 GHz | MSI GTX 1070 GAMING 8GB | Gigabyte Z77X-D3H
EGVA SuperNOVA B2 750W | 16 GB DDR3 1600 | Acer XG270HU | Win 10×64
MX Brown Quickfire XT | Commander Shaussman [AGNY]- Fort Aspenwood

in Guardian

Posted by: Adrenalin.5719

Adrenalin.5719

Switch to fast targeting with range indicators and just hover the mouse over the UI somewhere. Bam, original functionality restored.

Hovering over the skill bar is just as bad.

fanboy | A passionate fan of elements of geek culture, letting his passion override social graces
and common sense.

in Guardian

Posted by: DroidDreamer.2861

DroidDreamer.2861

Want to chime in here. I am divided on this as an exclusively WvW player

On one hand, there are times when ranged targeting is a boon, like for placing one on a choke point that is taking heavy fire. It’s also great for placing it ahead or on the flanks to cover the zerg.

But the UI is killing me. The mouse is hard to see in general in this game and in the middle of a hectic fight WvW fight the orientation of the ground targeting symbol can be hard to see. Also: that ground targeting symbol doesn’t match the size of the WoR so you have to wing it by estimating from center.

But the worst part is this: Ground-targetted Walls of Reflection often wind up in very weird orientations. I had one placed vertically into the ground with only half of it popping up at an odd angle.

I’d favor an additional key bind to toggle ground targeting on or off. Otherwise, I think the certainty of placing it at my feet with a predictable orientation is preferable. Just my opinion.

Check out my Guardian WvW Mace/Shield & Staff Support Build:
http://goo.gl/VftpD3

in Guardian

Posted by: DroidDreamer.2861

DroidDreamer.2861

We have the tools to place WoR in the right place without ground targeting.

Here is a little tutorial video, the purpose of which is illustrate the tactic, not to denigrate or call out anyone in the video, friend or foe:

Check out my Guardian WvW Mace/Shield & Staff Support Build:
http://goo.gl/VftpD3

in Guardian

Posted by: Satenia.9025

Satenia.9025

To me personally, the mandatory ground-targeting also feels like a downgrade – if not to say a major inconvenience (exclusively talking PvE content here).

When I use the WoR, I kinda need it asap and not after wasting precious seconds trying to re-arrange the sometimes absurd default direction. Fast targeting with range indicators definitely gave me the best results so far, but it’s still not as fast as before.

For most of the content I play, having it precisely where I’m standing and oriented exactly at 90 degrees to my character was perfectly fine. In the very few instances I actually needed ground targeting, I switched it on. As such, I would very much love to see an option to use consecrations without ground-targeting again…

in Guardian

Posted by: JKeyper.7658

JKeyper.7658

The “centered on position” casting really played well into the Guardian philosophy of frontline support. It encouraged the Guardian to get in quick to mitigate damage. Consecrations offered lots of AoE support, but only when the Guard was positioned correctly. It felt personal and powerful.

Now with ground-targeting, it feels like I’m playing Elementalist. I’ve got my midrange AoE spells that I can cast from the backline. At least with the trait, you could specialize (!) into that ranged supporter, but the ground-targeting as baseline does not feel core to the Guardian philosophy.