Weapon sets - 2014

Weapon sets - 2014

in Guardian

Posted by: Hattoni.8597

Hattoni.8597

Hey friends,

After trying every single class I felt in love with guardian. The first issue I had to deal with was to choose weapons. I’ve read majority of topics, but most of them were created before 2014, so before those 2 patches (April and June). I want to ask what are the best weapons for new pve guardian. I know that dps guardian is much more useful than the support one, so I took GS as my first. Now the second weapon – I was thinking about hammer or staff, but s/f also seems interesting.

Thanks for any help.

Weapon sets - 2014

in Guardian

Posted by: maha.7902

maha.7902

Sword/focus is what you’ll be wanting for your second weapon set. It pairs very will with GS and offers 2 blind skills + a blast finisher/3 personal blocks.

Full guide on what weapons to use where and etc here: http://www.dtguilds.com/forum/m/6563292/viewthread/12501056-dnt-guardian-build-5914

-GMB

Serah Mahariel – Death and Taxes

Weapon sets - 2014

in Guardian

Posted by: Silv.9207

Silv.9207

“I know that dps guardian is much more useful than the support one”…
Ok, explain that, because it’s situational.
If you play pve (mass events, exp, farm) it’s ok, dps is always better. But if you play dungeon or pvp there’s nothing better for a guardian than the support/bunker build.
That’s why no one want a dps guardian in team for medium/high rated dungeons (arah, fotm, etc). In wvsw if you go in dps build you die quickly and don’t help your alles. In spvp you can be good as a roamer, but nothing more.

Anyway the best weapons for dps are GS, Sword+Focus and Scepter+Focus (or torch, but only if you play totally ranged).
If you like to use the GS, Sword+Focus can be good.
3 Blind (4 if you add the GS skill), that can be combined whit the trait that inflict 3 stack of vulnerability when you blind a enemy, and can be used to evade the enemy attacks. You can clean 2 conditions whit the skill 4 of the Focus, if it bounce on you 2 times. Then, the skill % of the Focus is powerfull and is a Blast Finisher.

Weapon sets - 2014

in Guardian

Posted by: Seras.5702

Seras.5702

You can gear dps/zerk and still bring support. In dungeons, you’re going to want to deal lots of damage, but also bring along defensive boons like aegis, regen, and prot. Not to mention lots of blinds and vuln stacking. Those are all support-oriented, but done without sacrificing dps.

Flixx Gatebuster, Orwynn Lightgrave, Seras Snapdragon
[TTBH] [HATE], Yak’s Bend(NA)

Weapon sets - 2014

in Guardian

Hattoni.8597

I’m not experienced player, so what I write is what I’ve heared earlier.

As far as I know dps builds are prefered in endgame speedruns. Also wvw is mostly about being roamer and again – dps is better than bunker build here.

Weapon sets - 2014

in Guardian

Posted by: Scorpion Over Lord.9036

Scorpion Over Lord.9036

“I know that dps guardian is much more useful than the support one”…
If you play pve (mass events, exp, farm) it’s ok, dps is always better. But if you play dungeon or pvp there’s nothing better for a guardian than the support/bunker build.
That’s why no one want a dps guardian in team for medium/high rated dungeons (arah, fotm, etc).

Um…have you never heard of Obal or Sharpclaw Swiftpaw??? Might wanna go look at that link Maha posted.

Weapon sets - 2014

in Guardian

Posted by: maha.7902

maha.7902

But if you play dungeon there’s nothing worse for a guardian than the support/bunker build.
That’s why no one want a ‘support’ guardian in team for medium/high rated dungeons (arah, fotm, etc).

This would be more accurate.

A guardian that is focussed on DPS still provides large amounts of support through traits and utilities while at the same time actually contributing to killing things quickly and efficiently.

The current meta for dungeons is 4/5/0/0/5 (Max Utility) with some people opting for moderations for more damage, eg. (4/6/2/0/2). This includes full berserker gear with scholar runes and GS + Sword/focus setup. The link I posted earlier will explain in full how this all works.

-GMB

Serah Mahariel – Death and Taxes

(edited by maha.7902)

Weapon sets - 2014

in Guardian

Hattoni.8597

Why noone mentioned hammer? I heared that guardian with hammer is a ‘must-have’ in every team and if there is one then you can take sword/focus setup.

Weapon sets - 2014

in Guardian

Posted by: Acotje.5689

Acotje.5689

Why noone mentioned hammer? I heared that guardian with hammer is a ‘must-have’ in every team and if there is one then you can take sword/focus setup.

It’s not a “must-have” but I love one in high level fractals, but he should still be full zerk and, I think, running 3 5 0 4 2

Every other dungeon GS S/F is the way to go

…if you play dungeon or pvp there’s nothing better for a guardian than the support/bunker build.
That’s why no one want a dps guardian in team for medium/high rated dungeons (arah, fotm, etc).

Why do people always think zerk guard brings no support?
I play 2 5 0 2 5, changing Utilities and Indomitable Courage/Absolute Resolution for almost every encounter. How is that worse then a AH AFKhammer that ruins ele’s might stacks with his staff and uses his “Stand Your Ground” as a condi remover instead of , you know, actually giving stabilty to your party when they need it?
Everything 0 0 6 6 2 can do, a 4 5 0 0 5 or 2 5 0 2 5 can do alot better and more.
Salvage your PVT/Cleric gear so it gives SOMETHING usefull…Ectos

Hello darkness, my old friend.

Weapon sets - 2014

in Guardian

Posted by: Seras.5702

Seras.5702

Hammer is fantastic, but due to its symbol/light field every 3rd strike, some groups may not like it overwriting fire/water fields. It depends on group comp and how organized they are.

Personally, I love hammer. It’s got great damage, long aoe protection uptime, and a low cooldown blast finisher. The only thing it lacks is synergy with Blind Exposure, but if you’ve got a warrior or engi in your group you don’t need to worry about the vuln stacking on your own.

Flixx Gatebuster, Orwynn Lightgrave, Seras Snapdragon
[TTBH] [HATE], Yak’s Bend(NA)

Weapon sets - 2014

in Guardian

Posted by: obal.3218

obal.3218

Dungeons – GS/Sword+Focus
Swap sword out for scepter against medium or large hitbox bosses that don’t move much

Fractals – Hammer/GS
Swap to sword/focus for more blocks against hard bosses like mossman and archdiviner and Staff for pulling mobs to los spots and cc with line the swap to hammer at places like ascalon fractal

Use greatsword to burst. Long fights do 2,4,3,5,2 swap and short fights do 2-5 swap. For fractals you want to camp hammer for harder fights. Don’t interrupt hammer chains.